PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Picking up Birds of Prey

fin5
10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
I was Wondering how is it?
and would you say its a good pick.I heard good things about the Writer Gail Simon and its on 6 so it should be easy to get the back issues

beetlebum
10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
The first run was really good.

As for this latest run ... I'd say it's a slow build.

The most interesting bit of the current run is the stuff with White Canary, and the mystery surrounding her identity.

Gail's writing is inviting, witty and warm, and she does invoke food in order to stimulate the part of the brain deals with the formation of long-lasting gustatory memory trace (i.e: she uses food a lot in her stories, in an associative sense); that makes her locations a bit more vivid.

(Example: Black Canary eating chili crab and fried ice cream in Singapore.)

Birds of Prey is a book worth passing time with. I've found myself growing an emotional attachment to the characters, particularly Huntress, and Gail's transformation of Helena -- from one whom Batman used to berate for doing things he did -- to someone worth paying attention to, is a journey that I enjoyed throwing myself into. (Though I must say that I really, really, hate the Josh/Helena storyline, and want it wiped from existence.)

Other than that, pick up the first run in trades.

The current run is one of the few superhero titles I actually enjoy. So take that for what it's worth.

Mr. Holmes
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
The current series is way too slow and decompressed. It's channeling Bendis in that respect.

paulski
10-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Oh please, never compare this book to something written by Bendis. At the very least, all the characters sound different to one another in BoP.

Free-Man
10-28-2010, 07:42 PM
The current series is way too slow and decompressed. It's channeling Bendis in that respect.

I do agree. But I think it had a decent enough finale for the first issue. I've been enjoying it.

But if you're interested, I'd definately check out the back issues of the original series first. Pick up the "Sensei and Student" trade for sure.

beetlebum
10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I do agree. But I think it had a decent enough finale for the first issue. I've been enjoying it.

Sums up my feelings (albeit in a more succint way!)

Red_10
10-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Eh, it's ok, not great, but interesting enough to keep me reading it. The art's been pretty poor. If they get that sorted out I may keep reading it for a while.

Grico
10-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I think the book has been more potential so far than actually worth reading. The first arc was a bit too much of the "oh will the group break up" cliche than it made any sense to be considering the birds just got back together for the series. Its on my watch list for potentially being dropped but I will probably give it another arc. Oracle is a great character and the rest of the case has enough potential to be interesting (except for me Hawk. He's just there for the pointless Brightest Day tie-in rather than any real reason to be on a team that is usually made up of female heroes).

Jvan
10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Man, this is crazy. I absolutely love this book. One of my favorites from month to month.

dupersuper
10-28-2010, 11:08 PM
I've liked Simones runs on Secret Six and All New Atom better, but this is a solid book with a little wit.

swatkat
10-29-2010, 04:39 AM
It's a great book. I have great fondness for Dixon-era BoP, but I love what Gail did to the book, transforming both Black Canary and Huntress as characters.
'Sensei and Student' would be a good place to start, I agree. If you want to go old-school, try 'The Hunt for Oracle,' featuring Nightwing crossover and the first meeting of Oracle and Black Canary. It's a thing of beauty.

The Great Grape
10-29-2010, 05:01 AM
The original BOP series was great stuff and definately worth checking into. Particulary Gail Simone's part.

I've enjoyed the current series thus far. It's well written and geared toward character interaction and sound development.

Birds is a recommended pick up in my book.

OBrianTallent
10-29-2010, 01:12 PM
It's a solidly written book with solid characterization, plot and follow through. The art has been, depending on your tastes, hit or miss. I personally loved Benes as well as Melo. Adrian Syaf is coming on board as regular penciler which is going to be awesomness in my book.

just my opinion.

raskal66
10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I've generally liked this run on BOP, but the artwork seems to have been deteriorating as it has gone on. #1 was fantastic and #5 was just about horrid art wise. Fortunately the story helps pick up the slack, but I do hope we can get some consistency soon on the pictures.

pgonzo98
10-30-2010, 03:05 AM
as a whole the book is great but what the hell are hawk and dove doing in the book?

DC Fan Xman
11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
So, if I had a chance to choose between the original series and the current one, I might need to check out more of the original before moving on to the new issues.