PDA

View Full Version : CBR: NYCC: Super Soldiers Clash in "Ultimate Comics Captain America"

CBR News
10-11-2010, 05:53 AM
In Jason Aaron and Ron Garney's "Ultimate Comics Captain America," the Ultimate U's Cap faces off against a product of a tumultuous period in American history, the Captain America of the Vietnam War.

Full article here (http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=28817).

mastadge
10-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Darn it, Marvel, now I'm going to have to buy an Ultimate title for the first time in years. Why must you put me in this position?

Janissa
10-11-2010, 07:49 AM
It's soo amusing how Marvel Sales Employees come on to all these forums pretending to be ordinary people promoting whatever garbage Dan Buckley and Joe Quesada are espousing.

Marvel (and DC for the most part) have completely fallen off the rails. 99.9% of Marvel's and 95% of DC's books are so damn jejune it's not even funny.

They're really catering to the dumbest part of their audiences now. And it's a shame since they both own such great intellectual properties.

Plawsky
10-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for that update, Janissa. Now, back to the topic at hand...

Looks great, can't wait!

mastadge
10-11-2010, 07:59 AM
It's soo amusing how Marvel Sales Employees come on to all these forums pretending to be ordinary people promoting whatever garbage Dan Buckley and Joe Quesada are espousing. Are you referring to my comment? Because I'm not a Marvel employee, just a Jason Aaron fan.

xElijahSnowx
10-11-2010, 08:00 AM
It's soo amusing how Marvel Sales Employees come on to all these forums pretending to be ordinary people promoting whatever garbage Dan Buckley and Joe Quesada are espousing.

There is a sad level of truth to your statement. Quesada has really fallen off the deep end in a few areas, over the last two years. He's done a lot of good (RE: Marvel Man for example), but areas like this and ASM struggle due to his involvement.

Anyway - I was incredibly skeptical about this book - but having read the Aaron interview - I'm actually thinking I'll grab this is trade when it drops. The Ultimate Universe hasn't been the same' since' Ultimates 3, and most of Ultimate Comics has been subpar. But I do think that Aaron has the chops to pull this off - so a trade-waiting I will go.

striderhirryu2
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Marvel (and DC for the most part) have completely fallen off the rails. 99.9% of Marvel's and 95% of DC's books are so damn jejune it's not even funny.

They're really catering to the dumbest part of their audiences now. And it's a shame since they both own such great intellectual properties.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr163/NinjaShade_04/CoolStoryBro.jpg

This could link up with The Liberators and how they scored their SS serum

Meyeraustin
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks, haven't heard that about 50,000 that. Oh, and Viet Nam War was bad. Nice original idea there.

If you want to see Cap in WW2 and the modern War on Terror, acting like a soldier AND a hero, check out the Captain America: America First and Captain America: Theater of War tpbs. Jenkins disproves the myth that you can't have Cap in modern war tales without insulting the troops or denying the seriousness of the conflict.

Meyeraustin
10-11-2010, 11:47 AM

I must be dumb because I don't know what "jejune" means.

Wolverine12
10-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I must be dumb because I don't know what "jejune" means.

Naive, simplistic, superficial according to google definitions.

Leocomix
10-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I wonder who the Nam Cap is. That can't be Castle, nor Thompson. I doubt it's Deadpool. Maybe Nuke? Or this is simply the 50s Cap?

MarvelMaster616
10-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Well this wasn't nearly as big an announcement as I thought it would be. A Captain America book doesn't sound like something that would rock the Ultimate Universe. This seems more like a story in the tradition of the recent Thor mini and that's not a bad thing. Thor #1 was awesome. But let's face it, these stories that take place in the past really aren't going to do a whole lot for the Ultimate series at large. Again, that's not a bad thing. It's just limited because in terms of scale it's never going to be as big as the mainline titles.

But since Thor was so great, I'm willing to give this a try. These minis seem to be the only readable stories from Ultimate at this point. There was little else at NYCC that makes me hate the current Ultimate titles any less. I still have a strong inclination to inject molten lead in my veins and head-butt a bowling ball every time I think about the other Ultimate books. But so long as Ultimate Cap doesn't really tie into what's going on at the moment, I'll try it.

The big mystery here is who could this Vietnam era Cap be? I don't know why, but I have a feeling it may either be someone from the Buckey Barnes family, the Frank Castle family (perhaps Ultimate Frank's dad), or the Summers family (an Ultimate Corsair). Aaron did say that the identity of this Cap would be a familiar name that hasn't seen Ultimate yet. So I guess we should let the speculation begin. :cool:

Xistel
10-11-2010, 02:47 PM
hope they do it right!

Moose967
10-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I wonder who the Nam Cap is. That can't be Castle, nor Thompson. I doubt it's Deadpool. Maybe Nuke? Or this is simply the 50s Cap?

The big mystery here is who could this Vietnam era Cap be? I don't know why, but I have a feeling it may either be someone from the Buckey Barnes family, the Frank Castle family (perhaps Ultimate Frank's dad), or the Summers family (an Ultimate Corsair). Aaron did say that the identity of this Cap would be a familiar name that hasn't seen Ultimate yet. So I guess we should let the speculation begin. :cool:

Given the era of Vietnam I'd say either Mike or John Walker. Ultimate USAgent.

Samorai_black
10-11-2010, 03:16 PM
This mini sounds great cant wait till it starts. I hope the right research was done for the mini.

MarvelMaster616
10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Given the era of Vietnam I'd say either Mike or John Walker. Ultimate USAgent.

That actually may make a bit more sense. Nuke sounds like a likely candidate as well. None have shown up in Ultimate yet and this seems like a good way to get them involved. I like the idea of another Captain America forged in a different conflict. The character has to sort of reflect the time and Vietnam was a lot different than WWII. I remember hearing in an interview with Stan Lee once that Marvel resisted getting Captain America involved in Vietnam during the 60s and 70s because it was too sensitive an issue. Well given the style of Ultimate, this is the perfect place for a Vietnam style Captain America.

One other thing I noticed they never mentioned was whether this Captain America mini will also be a digital day and date release the way Ultimate Thor was. Anybody have any clue as to what the story is there if there is one? It seems like Ultimate Thor #1 was a smashing success with it's digital release. Ultimate Cap seems to be coming out in the same spirit. So why not?

Leto
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh I hope it's Nuke!

The other ultimate titles haven't held my interest recently but this looks like a very nice mini to follow.

The One and Only
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Looking forward to this. With this Cap being the Vietnam Era answer to Rogers, I'm going with the Ultimate version of the U.S. Agent. Either Mike Walker ,or his little brother John, the 616 U.S. Agent. Nuke, Frank Miller's lampoon of Rambo, would be my third guess.

Moose967
10-11-2010, 08:20 PM
That actually may make a bit more sense. Nuke sounds like a likely candidate as well. None have shown up in Ultimate yet and this seems like a good way to get them involved. I like the idea of another Captain America forged in a different conflict. The character has to sort of reflect the time and Vietnam was a lot different than WWII. I remember hearing in an interview with Stan Lee once that Marvel resisted getting Captain America involved in Vietnam during the 60s and 70s because it was too sensitive an issue. Well given the style of Ultimate, this is the perfect place for a Vietnam style Captain America.

One other thing I noticed they never mentioned was whether this Captain America mini will also be a digital day and date release the way Ultimate Thor was. Anybody have any clue as to what the story is there if there is one? It seems like Ultimate Thor #1 was a smashing success with it's digital release. Ultimate Cap seems to be coming out in the same spirit. So why not?

Exactly, and it sounds like the perfect switcheroo. Ultimate Captain America sounds and acts more like 616 John Walker than he does 616 Steve Rogers. Thus perhaps Ultimate John Walker (or Mike Walker), if that is who 'Nam Cap is, is more akin to 616 Steve Rogers?

MarvelMaster616
10-12-2010, 05:19 AM
Exactly, and it sounds like the perfect switcheroo. Ultimate Captain America sounds and acts more like 616 John Walker than he does 616 Steve Rogers. Thus perhaps Ultimate John Walker (or Mike Walker), if that is who 'Nam Cap is, is more akin to 616 Steve Rogers?

That would be a strange (but very interesting) dichotomy. If Nam Cap actually was more like his 616 predecessor that would probably catch a lot of readers off guard, myself included. But given the circumstances of Ultimate, I don't think it's very probable even if it is possible. Walker (either of them) or Nuke each would fit the somewhat distressed personality that goes along with the distressed nature of Vietnam. It depends on how creative Aaron wants to be.

Another possibility that might not be very probable is that maybe this Cap is Christopher Summers (Corsair). Wasn't it mentioned in some old issue of Ultimate X-men or Ultimates that Nick Fury knew Cyclops's father? He would reflect the whole leadership aspect of Captain America pretty well, but he's not the most upstanding soldier. I think that would be a very big stretch, but it's possible. If I were to place money on this, I would still go with either Walker or Nuke. At this point it's a coin flip between both of them.

John Zaleski
10-12-2010, 06:26 AM
moon knight i think it is ... prolyl wrong tho lol

Mikey Brown
10-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Jason Aaron knows all about Vietnam. Read The Other Side by him, unbelievable read and it was one of the first comics he wrote. Getting this without a doubt. Hope Aaron and Hickman get some more Ultimate work after their minis are done.

Wolverine12
10-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Jason Aaron knows all about Vietnam. Read The Other Side by him, unbelievable read and it was one of the first comics he wrote. Getting this without a doubt. Hope Aaron and Hickman get some more Ultimate work after their minis are done.

Yes to this.

Destro777
10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Jason Aaron knows all about Vietnam. Read The Other Side by him, unbelievable read and it was one of the first comics he wrote.
^I was gonna post this. The Other Side is one of my favorite war comics of all time. That series turned me into a big Jason Aaron fan - and his following projects have not disappointed. This Vietnam Cap is just the perfect fit for him. Cant wait.

alexh
10-26-2010, 12:42 PM
i was wondering if it was the Winter Soldier, in relation to the "Winter Soldier Investigation" in the early 70s to do with the Vietnam.

Jared
11-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Probably a longshot, but it was mentioned that Ultimate Red Skull was active in Vietnam. It would be interesting to see him show up in a flashback, fighting VietCap.

I'm guessing John Walker too. Although Nuke would certainly be a cool choice, too.