PDA

View Full Version : Chaos War #1 Review and Spoilers

andybmcd
10-07-2010, 01:03 AM
I can't believe no one has started a thread for this issue yet. Beware matey! SPOILERS AHEAD

SPOILER BREAK

Alright, let me preface this review by saying I am a HUGE Incredible Hercules fan. This series has started off honestly just feeling like more of that series, only on a huge and epic scale. So, fair warning, heavily biased review/spoilers incoming.

The story within Chaos War #1 was easily the best story I've read all week. Pak and Van Lente lend Herc, Cho, Delphyne, and even Thor some absolutely terrific characterization moments. Great moments like Herc attempting to control his newfound power, trying his best to convince the rest of the heroes of the imminent threat, and tangling with the Council of Godheads in anger over their repeated and stubborn inaction in dealing with Mikaboshi just highlight how great and story-driven this book is. Even the backup tale is wonderfully told and shows what happened to Herc following the Assault on New Olympus arc.

Quick Bullet point spoilers
- Issue starts in Nightmare's realm where Nightmare has just learned Herc has returned
- Mikaboshi shows up, rips out Nightmare's heart, and then after Nightmare tries to join forces, Mikaboshi scoffs at the proposal, crushes the heart in his hands and decapitates Nightmare. Threat successfully established for people unaware of who Mikaboshi was previously.
- Herc shows up in New York with Skyfather power levels that hasn't learned to control yet while also trying to warn them about Mikaboshi's coming. No one takes him seriously. Avengers show up and aren't sure what to do.
- Amadeus and Delphyne port in, calm Herc down, then all of a sudden all three are ported to the council of godheads
- Herc hauls off on the godheads for their constant inaction against Mikaboshi
- Thor shows up, tells Herc he supports him, but he needs to have more self-control
- People are going crazy now that Mikaboshi has absorbed Nightmare's powers and taken over his realm
- A couple of panels showing various heroes discussing what they think of Herc's warning speech from earlier
- Herc flies off into space and then summons all the heroes together
- THIS is where the preview pages happen in the book. Basically Herc gives an impassioned and rousing speech to get the heroes to support him
- So Herc and heroes are off and flying when Herc uses new skyfather powers to open a portal to Nightmare's realm.
- Herc and Thor lead the charge, come across the dead body of Nightmare, and realize they fell for King Chaos' trap and Chaos has immobilized all of the earth-born heroes in their nightmares
- Teaser dialogue at the end: EVEN DEATH CAN DIE!

The backup story is also very good and tells of Herc's time trapped in Continuum (alternate dimension). It's a little bit self-discovery, and a lot of fun. "Welcome to the New Age of Hitting Things" indeed!

Pak and Van Lente retain every aspect of their writing that made iHerc so great, even down to the ridiculous and hilarious sfx (BALDRRRR when Herc clocks Balder, HERKOOOOM when Herc arrives in New York City). Just great storytelling.

Pham's pencils are a little hit and miss unfortunately. Fortunately, the great majority of his art here is well done and he displays the variety of emotions and the bombastic action here with ease. However, his pencils do look a bit odd some times (see Mikaboshi's head are in the first splash page for an example) and a couple panels feel distorted. Fortunately those are few and far between and most of it is some of his best work. Reilly Brown provides the pencils for the back up and does his usual capable job, but his proportions seem off in a couple of panels. Overall it's also well drawn and has some great coloring.

Story 9.5/10 Superb characterization and epic scope make this a winner. Probably going to want to use some characters outside of the Prince of Power/iHerc casts to make this feel like a true crossover though.
Art 8.6/10 Pham's artwork was good about low 8's while Brown was around a 9 on his back up. Both wonderfully convey the story and the range of emotions the characters go through.

Overall: 9.3/10 A few minor art quibbles hold back what is otherwise a fantastic debut issue. One issue in and it has already destroyed Shadowland in terms of quality (granted that's not especially hard to do). Do yourself a favor and pick it up. Now if you'll excuse me, I want to read this issue for a fourth time. :smile:

BartonisHawkeye88
10-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Yeah I liked it a lot.

Not as good as Thanos Imperative, but it's just the first issue and I trust in Pak and Van Lente!

Deffo gettin added to the pull list.

Master of Sound
10-07-2010, 01:38 AM
I hope Nightmare stays dead!

I had never seen Delphyne before. Can someone give me a little background info please?

drownedbyimmolation
10-07-2010, 01:50 AM
I hope Nightmare stays dead!

I had never seen Delphyne before. Can someone give me a little background info please?

Currently Cho's girlfriend, she is a Human/Gorgon hybrid and was an Amazon, she is pretty new as a character, like uh about 3 years? Anyway, she is not super squeaky clean, and has actually at times, harbored pretty strong negative emotions towards Cho her current partner, and she was even imprisoned after killing Athena (she got better though) but then she done some good stuff again. She is pretty bad ass in a fight.

Actually this splash page probably explains her as a character better than my words lol

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/TEuisJWYIcI/AAAAAAAAOKA/oc4FrPwGqKI/s1600/Heroic+Age+-+Prince+of+Power+%233+-+deathscrunchie1.jpg

Did you have any specific questions?

drownedbyimmolation
10-07-2010, 01:57 AM
I agree this was a great read. Highlights

- Nightmare's role here. Spectacular. Am glad they revisited him, he was so smug last time around.
- Hercules 'hearing' the words of many of his peers. I felt for the guy there. Nothing said about him was that bad but yeah...
- I tend to be slightly weary when Thor is written by these writers. I love how they write almost every other character, but in this issue I was pleasantly appreciative, I hope following issues fill me with the same feeling.
- I am a sucker for splash pages with tons of heros, and this book delivered.
- Art was way better and way more awesome than I expected and I had high expectations.

jpbl1976
10-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Enjoyed this book but... doesn't Mikaboshi remind you of Nekron? The ripping-out-his heart and converting the defeated into his armies feels very much like Blackest Night.

Pak and Van Lente are definitely giving Geoff Johns a wink and nudge with this story.

andybmcd
10-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Enjoyed this book but... doesn't Mikaboshi remind you of Nekron? The ripping-out-his heart and converting the defeated into his armies feels very much like Blackest Night.

Pak and Van Lente are definitely giving Geoff Johns a wink and nudge with this story.

The only adding to armies was by conquest, I'm pretty sure. Plus he ripped Nightmare's heart out and then decapitated him. Mikaboshi goes the extra mile :). Also, Nightmare stays dead while Mikaboshi absorbs his powers.

I don't really see the similarities other than dead people are going to be involved.

StoneGold
10-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Man, when Pham is on, he is on.

But he's not always on.

Take the first page where all the heroes are gathering. As far as I can tell, Patriot is wearing his old suit with the full face mask and carrying Captain America's shield, and Norman Osborn is wearing Steve Rogers' costume.

Lord Bravery
10-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Mikaboshi is about 1000x cooler than Nekron.

I mean, the guy speaks in Haiki for christ sake! :biggrin:

USERNAME TAKEN
10-07-2010, 03:45 AM
I liked the issue and i love the way Pak and Van Lente are approaching the series. A blend of dark cosmic action with a decent helping of humor.(i want to believe that sound effects like *Humbllld* or *Balddrr*!! are played for laughs).

I haven't been crazy about Pak's handling of Thor in the past but i love his Herc and i like the fact that Herc's massive power-up hasn't removed his funnier side.

However, i'm still not a fan of Amadeus Cho and his "i'm smarter than everyone" stance.

USERNAME TAKEN
10-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Mikaboshi is about 1000x cooler than Nekron.

I mean, the guy speaks in Haiki for christ sake! :biggrin:

Quoted for truth.

Lord Bravery
10-07-2010, 03:58 AM
I meant Haiku :biggrin:

But yea, Pak and Van Lente love their comedic onomatopoeia. I remember in Incredible Herc 136 when he is fighting Thor. Thor smashes the ground with Mjolnir and the sound effect was WHATTTAMAN! It made sense with the context of what was going on, and it was just hilarious.

Ex_
10-07-2010, 05:27 AM
I...can't be the only person that was disappointed with this. I know that it was only an introduction issue, but I didn't really get anything new. Like, at all. Yes, I know the other heroes think Herc is a drunken doofus. I've seen it before. Cool, Herc has new abilities. And that's the issue.

I'm not sure how you guys can be satisfied with this, having read all the other Incredible Herc and Prince of Power issues.

Hatut Zeraze
10-07-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm not sure how you guys can be satisfied with this, having read all the other Incredible Herc and Prince of Power issues.

To be fair, since this is the beginning of an event, one that casts Hercules in a very unfamiliar role, some explanation of that event and that role was called for.

After reading your post, I thought about it and realized you were right - that Chaos War #1 is a bit boring compared to the average issue of Incredible Hercules/Prince of Power, but that's a pretty high standard, and these guys have more than earned my trust, so I don't consider that too big a deal.

I will take a mediocre Pak/Van Lente Hercules issue over three-fourths of everything else on the comic racks these days.

The Sword Is Drawn
10-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Quick question for the studious...

Looking at the Preview for this I was scanning backgrounds for the characters involved. Anybody know if Any of the MI13 cast (Captain Britain, Pete Wisdom, Black Knight etc) appear in this issue, amongst the collective heroes?

Or ANY International heroes for that matter?

Ex_
10-07-2010, 08:08 AM

Looking at the Preview for this I was scanning backgrounds for the characters involved. Anybody know if Any of the MI13 cast (Captain Britain, Pete Wisdom, Black Knight etc) appear in this issue, amongst the collective heroes?

I thought I saw Red Guardian in SOMETHING yesterday. Maybe it was this. Maybe I was dreaming. I'll check when I get home.

El Torpedo
10-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I liked everything except for Iron Man, something seemed way off about how they handled him.

The last few pages were great.

Anybody catch the Teletubby in Nightmare's horror dimension???? Hilarious

ImmortalIronFist
10-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Technically, Colossus and Black Widow are from Russia, Jericho Drumm is from Haiti and Wolverine is from Canada.

DrDoom616
10-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Another disappointing release, first Uncanny X-Force and now this?

First Issues are supposed to be big, bold and dramatic to draw in readers, not bore them to death (a good example of how to do a first issue right is Annihilation #1).

Maybe they should have filled the book with the main story instead of putting in a secondary back story to fill an otherwise lack lustre issue.

Pixie_Solanas
10-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I...can't be the only person that was disappointed with this. I know that it was only an introduction issue, but I didn't really get anything new. Like, at all. Yes, I know the other heroes think Herc is a drunken doofus. I've seen it before. Cool, Herc has new abilities. And that's the issue.

LOL. Completely satisfied. Mikaboshi has never been better. A fully functioning ENTROPIST? Yes!

Hrist
10-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I thought I saw Red Guardian in SOMETHING yesterday. Maybe it was this. Maybe I was dreaming. I'll check when I get home.

Patriot #2? That's the only Red Guardian release I can think of lately.

Moose967
10-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Can someone explain how Herc is back from the dead?

Lord Bravery
10-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Another disappointing release, first Uncanny X-Force and now this?

First Issues are supposed to be big, bold and dramatic to draw in readers, not bore them to death (a good example of how to do a first issue right is Annihilation #1).

Maybe they should have filled the book with the main story instead of putting in a secondary back story to fill an otherwise lack lustre issue.

Annihilation had 4 mini series as lead ins for exposition and to set all the markers down, to put all the pieces in place.

Ex_
10-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Patriot #2? That's the only Red Guardian release I can think of lately.
Maybe that's what it was. I don't remember.

noh-varr
10-07-2010, 12:01 PM

They explain it in the issue, Cho became omnipotent and used that to get Herc back, since a mortal can't hold such powers he gave them over to Herc who can handle such things being a God.

I enjoyed the issue, it was a good issue of Incredible Hercules, with a bit more exposition then normal to catch any new people to speed since it's a brand new #1 and a mini event.

And to everyone who has mentioned past interpretations of Thor done by these writers in the iHerc issues, I think a lot of that has to do with it being Herc's story and we kind of take his or Cho's point of view on things. Now that Herc has a wider scope on things Thor is written differently. Or that's my take at least.

I look forward to the next issue (in two weeks!) to see the reformation of the God Squad!

Iron Maiden
10-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Not bowled over by this either, ironically because I felt it was too chaotic in the manner in which the story was presented. :biggrin: The Pham/Palmer teaming didn't work for me either.

I hope we've not seen the last of Nightmare. He's one of my favorite villains of the mystical side of Marvel. He was even backpedaling with his rib cage laid bare.

Lord Bravery
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought the way they portrayed Thor in 136 was great. The issue was more comedic than the books Thor is normally in, but his speech with kid Zeus at the end of it nailed what Thor is about, in terms of dealing with overbearing, never pleased fathers.

andybmcd
10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
They explain it in the issue, Cho became omnipotent and used that to get Herc back, since a mortal can't hold such powers he gave them over to Herc who can handle such things being a God.

Also, Hercules was never dead, just trapped in the Continuum dimension by Athena (can't wait for the inevitable confrontation there). Athena just told people he was dead after trapping him there.

StoneGold
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Narrative was a little chunky. There's a lot of "this happens, then this happens, then this happens," as opposed to anything happening organically. Worse yet, it kind of takes the humanity out of the Herc/Cho duo, which was really their strong point.

Zolton
10-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I thought this was great. The concept alone of a god war/team-up across all pantheons is why I love comics.

Skaddix
10-07-2010, 01:03 PM
This is why Herc sucks as a leader lets just charge into the Nightmare Realm when we know that mortals have no resistance.

Ex_
10-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I thought this was great. The concept alone of a god war/team-up across all pantheons is why I love comics.

I wish I could enjoy comics based on the concept alone.

andybmcd
10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
This is why Herc sucks as a leader lets just charge into the Nightmare Realm when we know that mortals have no resistance.

Has Herc ever thought anything through before charging headfirst into it? See: him hauling off on the council of godheads, pretty much all of Mighty Thorcules, him falling for Namora in Love and War, and being "sexed" by She-Hulk. It's a part of Herc's character. Just because he has near-omniscience doesn't mean he plans any better.

And, as the other poster mentioned, he was powering up the other heroes so maybe he thought it would be enough to protect them.

Leunames
10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
- Teaser dialogue at the end: EVEN DEATH CAN DIE!

That just SCREAMS Thanos Imperative. I'll be shocked if Chaos War even acknolwedges the antithetical plot that's concurrent in THanos Imperative.

stingerman
10-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I thought it was pretty good.

Opened up pretty awesome with King Chaos taking out Nightmare.

I didn't follow Inc Herc much, but from reading this you didn't need to.
Dang, he's pretty darn powerful!

I could have done without all the Marvel U heroes. Wasn't big on the "flying" bit, to be honest. I hope in subsequent issues Spidey and Wolvie are not around and we just get a core group of heroes. I suppose that is the God Squad - so I'm down for that.

Not a bad first issue - looks promising!

Review: http://cosmicbooknews.com/reviews/chaoswar1_review

TonyStark1012
10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I picked this up and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I've never been into the gods of marvel , but this issue explanined what's been going on without a new reader being lost.

Mr. Universe
10-07-2010, 04:06 PM
I was really expecting The Blue Marvel to show up, but he didn't...So I'm a little puzzled. Besides that, I thought it was an enjoyable issue.

Van Custo
10-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I was really expecting The Blue Marvel to show up, but he didn't...So I'm a little puzzled. Besides that, I thought it was an enjoyable issue.

Yea I wonna see more of him too, he's one of the few who is on that Thor/Herc level of strength/power.

The Black Guardian
10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Herc was never dead. He was trapped in the Bubble-verse. Cho rescued him.

XPac
10-07-2010, 05:32 PM

It's possible he might be there and they just didn't manage to squeeze him into the group shot. The artist can only jam so many people into it.

Sighphi
10-07-2010, 07:19 PM
I really hate that to pump up a villain they have him kill another villain to show how powerful he is now.

Why dont they start explaining how Mak now ISNT a Japanese god but something else instead of leaving it to a tie-in book?

I did like Herc getting into a fight with the god heads, that was funny.

Cthulhudrew
10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I really hate that to pump up a villain they have him kill another villain to show how powerful he is now.

Ya gotta give the Rumbles crowd some fodder now and then. :tongue:

Trey
10-07-2010, 08:08 PM

I'm with you. This was very bleh, and quite boring.

seekquaze
10-07-2010, 09:34 PM
This issue was a mixed bag for me. Pak and Lente tend to be very hit or miss. They can write their favorite characters well, but too often they write other characters so they come across as foolish to me.

A few thoughts:

1. Great to see Herc struggling with his new powers. Anyone with such a sudden power up should have trouble. Also, great seeing the heroes not following Herc blindly. Hercules's record of being an oaf means people should not take him too seriously at first.

2. I am curious as to what this "god of heroes" is meant to be all about.

3. I am getting a bit tired of this portrayal of the Council of Godheads as incompetent. I understand a lot of the points Pak and Lente have made about them. The gods have all of this power, but largely do nothing. They have withdrawn from earthly affairs and are slow to act in the face of a direct threat. In the past Odin had to rally them and now Athena was trying to rally them. At the same time a lot of these gods have not survived for as long as they have by being stupid. Some of these gods are even supposed to have great wisdom and better self-control than Zeus unless they are being given the Starlin treatment. I would hope the Council would have some sort of (good) plan for dealing with Mikaboshi, but I get the feeling they are going to be completely useless.

4. Hercules withstanding a direct blast from six of them and manhandling them was a bit much for me. Pretty much an extension of point three and my thoughts about them making other characters look incompetent. Pak and Lente seem to either think Hercules and Hulk are the supreme level of power or have trouble writing characters that are either higher or have far more diverse power sets. Both the skyfathers and Atum are prime examples. Why did Herc start punching them anyway?

5. Glad to see Thor having a decent showing compared to the Prince of Power mini.

6. For all his talk about being foolish and fickle Hercules still is.

7. Let's hope next issue someone comes up with a better battle plan than "CHARGE!" That is probable going to be when Athena turns up.

8. Cho struck me as really annoying this issue. Iron Man had every reason to think Hercules dead and has been kind of busy with other matters.

9. I wish Sandoval was doing this instead of Phom. His art is too rough and sketchy for my tastes. He does a pretty good Hercules, but I find his other characters lacking.

10. Overall a mixed bag that I would have to wait on the other issues. Probable about a 7/10

Lord S
10-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Can someone please fill me in on the backstory? I don't really feel like picking up the last half-dozen or so issues of Incredible Hercules. I'm thinking more of a quick crash-course on what has led up to this mini. I bought the issue but haven't read it yet cause I don't want to be completely lost.

Thanks.

TonyStark1012
10-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Can someone please fill me in on the backstory? I don't really feel like picking up the last half-dozen or so issues of Incredible Hercules. I'm thinking more of a quick crash-course on what has led up to this mini. I bought the issue but haven't read it yet cause I don't want to be completely lost.

Thanks.

To be honest I read it without reading any back story and I understood it just fine. It's pretty new reader friendly.

andybmcd
10-07-2010, 09:48 PM

Thanks.

Hercules was previously thought dead but was in fact trapped in a bubble universe by his sister Athena. He then got brought back with Odin-level power by his friend Amadeus Cho (Basically Cho attained godhood to find where Herc was and then gave the power to Herc as it would have driven him crazy if he had held onto the power for too long).

Chaos King (Amatsu-Mikaboshi), after assuming control of the Skrull Pantheon (Sacred Invasion arc), has been conquering alien pantheons across the universe heading towards Earth where he wants to collapse reality and return it to nothingness.

DrDoom616
10-08-2010, 03:23 AM
Annihilation had 4 mini series as lead ins for exposition and to set all the markers down, to put all the pieces in place.

Sorry my mistake, I meant Annihilation Prologue #1 which took place before the Mini-Series :tongue:

noh-varr
10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Sorry my mistake, I meant Annihilation Prologue #1 which took place before the Mini-Series :tongue:

Well then this did the same thing, go back to Assault on New Olympus Prologue. Or maybe the Sacred Invasion arc? Where they first form the God Squad to destroy the Skrull god... or maybe way back when Olympus was destroyed. There are a lot of potential initial prologues to this series, go pick one.

As a first issue it explained everything it needed for people who haven't been reading iHerc (which is a decent amount that needs to be explained), showed the power of the bad guy (by killing a being who has been killed many times and is the embodiment of an evil force, so of course he will be back soon), and made the threat huge by having the world going mad and the heroes defeated quickly.

icth
10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Not my favorite read of the week but I enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me is Cho whining about how he was the only one willing to find out if Herc was truly dead or not. I'm really looking forward to the Dead Avengers and Ares mini.

DrDoom616
10-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Well then this did the same thing, go back to Assault on New Olympus Prologue. Or maybe the Sacred Invasion arc? Where they first form the God Squad to destroy the Skrull god... or maybe way back when Olympus was destroyed. There are a lot of potential initial prologues to this series, go pick one.

As a first issue it explained everything it needed for people who haven't been reading iHerc (which is a decent amount that needs to be explained), showed the power of the bad guy (by killing a being who has been killed many times and is the embodiment of an evil force, so of course he will be back soon), and made the threat huge by having the world going mad and the heroes defeated quickly.

Sorry, did I miss the Chaos War Prologue?

I didn't read those other books you mentioned and find that this book lacked something to entice new readers into buying it, let alone buy the rest of the series, IMO.
Now, this is My Opinion, and if others found it to be a good read, then good for them, but for me, as I have said, I didn't like it much and found it a little boring.

Lord Bravery
10-09-2010, 02:47 PM
That's fair enough.

But i enjoyed it. Had a nice blend of action, expositon and character moments.

When Herc was flying around the planet and hearing what everyone thought of him with his new Skyfather level powers, that was a great scene. Felt bad for the big guy.

worstblogever
10-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I kinda found this a bit underwhelming, since it was like 20+ pages of Hercules telling people, "FOLLOW ME TO VICTORY!!!"

A set up issue. Nothing to go bananas over. Respectable, but definitely just a set-up issue.

XFER
10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
This was incredibly boring. Nothing happened that made me say "Hey, this is going to be good!" And the preview practically told us the whole issue.

If this gets better I will be very surprised.

DrDoom616
10-12-2010, 01:02 PM
This was incredibly boring. Nothing happened that made me say "Hey, this is going to be good!" And the preview practically told us the whole issue.

agreed

although 'boring' is being generous

Jason Abbadon
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM

So true- I read this at the comic shop and put it back- deciding to skip the entire idiotic 80 issue "event" and, if it turns out not to suck, pick it up in the inevitable TPB at my library next year.
And "Chaos King" sounds like a Taco Bell entree, not some badass villian. (Taco Bell's new Chaos King meal deal has FOUR kinds of cheese over steak and guacumole!")

Nothing about this mess said "must buy" and it does not seem to impact the characters it should very much- when they get to Ares and Phobos, I'll take another look.

maniacmatt
10-13-2010, 09:43 PM

I agree. I read it out of obligation at work (I work at a comic store) and felt like I never read anything that wasn't in the preview. It had potential, but even as someone who has read IncHerc in over a year, I felt it spent way too much time on exposition. No forward momentum or suspense at all.

djsweet
10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Palmer sure helped the pencils.