PDA

View Full Version : Supergirl

severalsmoked
09-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Is the current Supergirl ongoing good? Is there a good jumping off point if so?

dupersuper
09-03-2010, 02:59 AM
I like it; the current storyline is only about 3 issues in.

christinereed
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
The current arc started in June with Supergirl #53. It has been pretty good so far. I also liked the early Supergirl issues in Superman/Batman and Supergirl: Power. I haven't read much of the in-between (except for the issue where she had to explain to Lois how she killed Lucy.)

OldSchoolfan
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I have been posting in other threads about how much I have enjoyed this series.

I have been skeptical about it but, I look forward to reading each issue. It has been my favorite Super book for about 2 years now.

The best place to jump on is issue 50. Its a self contained story. If you have time, you can find all of the back issues for relatively low cost.

My favorite Story arc so far has been the Silver banshee one. It happened a while back, but its worth finding and reading.

supergirls_pal
09-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Right now Supergirl is free of crossovers (ie New Krypton) so you can pick up issues from just this title and get the whole story.

Karl O'Neill
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I really liked the first trade of Sterling/Igle's run (Who Is Superwoman?). I will get the next couple as well.

Death Itself
09-05-2010, 06:48 PM
It's the best Super-book out there and remained that way even through World of New Krypton, showing that some people took lemons and made lemonade.

ArnoldoAAD
09-08-2010, 12:54 AM
It's the best Super-book out there and remained that way even through World of New Krypton, showing that some people took lemons and made lemonade.

i agree
it was the only good book in the all NK saga
the only bad choice was to revive superwoman but the rest of the run have been really good

Alan Smithee
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd like to see a return to the PAD Benes Turner Churchill Supergirl from Krypton. The DCU needs a special hero, a special hero who is something of a laser-eyed Lolita loaded with superpowers yet sans underalls. If it was good enough for Nabokov, it should be good enough for NaDidio.

Mia
09-18-2010, 04:20 PM
To answer the question above. Yes the ongoing is very good. Sterling Gates is a fantastic writer and does Kara/SG justice. She's one of my favourite superheroes.

I'd like to see a return to the PAD Benes Turner Churchill Supergirl from Krypton. The DCU needs a special hero, a special hero who is something of a laser-eyed Lolita loaded with superpowers yet sans underalls. If it was good enough for Nabokov, it should be good enough for NaDidio.

Lolita? I wouldn't exactly classify this version of SG as Lolita. Kara did go through a phase where she was behaving rather innapropriately with Boomer. But she later stopped that.

I was sort of hoping that they would retain the flirty/cocky teenage girl when she wasn't in costume. But they seem to have gone with dorky Linda Lang persona which I don't like. Still I like the fact that Kara/SG has still retained her edge and rolls over for no one.

HaroldAllnut
09-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I read the first arc, "Who Is Superwoman?" in monthlies and absolutely loved it. The only reason I lost track was the whole New Krypton fiasco. Now that that's over with, I may very well check out the new one, since the idea of Bizarro Supergirl is pretty friggin' awesome.

srhanson
09-18-2010, 06:39 PM
The only reason I lost track was the whole New Krypton fiasco.

The Supergirl title was one of the more enjoyable reads throughout New Krypton, IMO.

Gates and Igle on Supergirl 4-eva! :biggrin:

Free-Man
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Yes it's worth picking up. The book was really terrible for quite a while, but finally found it's footing at the start of the Gates/Igle period. I really would reccomend it, but be sure to avoid anything from the Loeb/Churchill era.

superchick
09-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Yes it's worth picking up. The book was really terrible for quite a while, but finally found it's footing at the start of the Gates/Igle period. I really would reccomend it, but be sure to avoid anything from the Loeb/Churchill era.

I liked the Kelly stuff. It was a different interpretation than people are used to and perhaps alienated the fanbase. The girl Kara was acting like are usually the predators of the average comic reading girl.

Mia
09-19-2010, 08:10 AM
I liked the Kelly stuff. It was a different interpretation than people are used to and perhaps alienated the fanbase. The girl Kara was acting like are usually the predators of the average comic reading girl.

Although Jeph Loeb is the one who is credited for giving Kara her edge. It was really Greg Rucka and then Joe Kelly who wrote her as an arrogant spoiled teenage girl. In many ways it was like reading about a young undisciplined version of Emma Frost.

I actually liked the innterpretation. First of all it differentiated her from her cousine, she was far more than just Superman in drag. Second it showed that you could have a heroine who wasn't a flawless goody-two shoes. Kara actually had problems she wasn't perfect (she was supposed to have come from an abusive background) it made her more multi-faceted and easy to relate to. Third I loved the fact that even though she looked like some fairy tale princess she sure as hell didn't behave like one. It was fun reading about how she handled different situations.

Then at issue 19 (?) DC decided to change the character to make her appeal to teenage girls. Sales plunged. At issue 33 Sterling Gates came on board as the new writer and he reverted her characterisation to about 90% to what she originally was. I stopped reading with the New Krypton stuff, as it was a cross over. But I would recommend picking it up. It is one of the handfull of books I read from month to month.

Free-Man
09-19-2010, 08:27 AM

I actually didn't have any issue with Kelly's characterization. I think I even prefer it a bit to the current version, at least when she has to do the lame Linda Lang thing.

But it's the stories themselves from his run that I just didn't care for. Particularly, the fight with Cassandra Cain and the stuff with Power Boy. Additionally, I think that aside from Conner's issue with Terra, Igle is the first artist I've really enjoyed on this book.

Alan Smithee
09-21-2010, 01:20 AM
Although Jeph Loeb is the one who is credited for giving Kara her edge. It was really Greg Rucka and then Joe Kelly who wrote her as an arrogant spoiled teenage girl. In many ways it was like reading about a young undisciplined version of Emma Frost.

I actually liked the innterpretation. First of all it differentiated her from her cousine, she was far more than just Superman in drag. Second it showed that you could have a heroine who wasn't a flawless goody-two shoes. Kara actually had problems she wasn't perfect (she was supposed to have come from an abusive background) it made her more multi-faceted and easy to relate to. Third I loved the fact that even though she looked like some fairy tale princess she sure as hell didn't behave like one. It was fun reading about how she handled different situations.

Then at issue 19 (?) DC decided to change the character to make her appeal to teenage girls. Sales plunged. At issue 33 Sterling Gates came on board as the new writer and he reverted her characterisation to about 90% to what she originally was. I stopped reading with the New Krypton stuff, as it was a cross over. But I would recommend picking it up. It is one of the handfull of books I read from month to month.

This analysis is dead center perfect. When Kara was a headstrong Kryponite stranger who dressed her provocative age and clashed with the people she was supposed to bond with, the book was interersting. Good girl art by Turner, Benes, Churchill.

Then Loeb lost his marbles and rolled them over to Marvel. That crazy, out-there superstrumpet was thrown at a bunch of b-list creators. The current book is boring. Ingle can't draw a hot chick. I want the haughty and naughty and no underwear Kara to just dominate every situation like Superboy Prime, only without the big evil.

srhanson
09-21-2010, 09:59 AM
When Kara ... dressed her provocative age ... the book was interersting. Ingle can't draw a hot chick. I want the haughty and naughty and no underwear Kara to just dominate every situation

Of course you do.