PDA

View Full Version : JLA #50 Piece By Ethan Van Sciver: Crime Syndicate!

Free-Man
08-26-2010, 08:08 AM
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2010/08/jlav2_cv501.jpg

I

missferris
08-26-2010, 08:10 AM

I

Donna's lasso is randomly golden there! Hope they fix that error

But uh, that is hot. Imagine how this arc could be a lot more bearable if someone else was drawing it.

And, okay, usually I am not really into Boobs McGee Boobarific Donna, but ... I have to admit, my gay eyes can't stop staring at hers right there.

LightningRider
08-26-2010, 08:11 AM
It's the return of Donna's ugly boots!

Moving on, I can't wait! ^_^

missferris
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Sadly, they never left :(

Free-Man
08-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Donna's lasso is randomly golden there! Hope they fix that error

But uh, that is hot. Imagine how this arc could be a lot more bearable if someone else was drawing it.

And, okay, usually I am not really into Boobs McGee Boobarific Donna, but ... I have to admit, my gay eyes can't stop staring at hers right there.

I didn't notice the thing with the lasso. Nice eye.
I'm going to copyright Boobs McGee Boobarific.

Retro315
08-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Hope Robinson's execution does the idea here justice. The "Replacement JLA" fighting against the Crime Syndicate - evil versions of "The A-Listers" they've replaced ... is a cool concept.

Dick Grayson vs. Thomas Wayne Jr. ... I mean, that's just golden.

And Supergirl and Ultraman ... this almost has to be the Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 ... because the Anti-Matter Ultraman cheesed it during Final Crisis.

superchick
08-26-2010, 08:34 AM

I read that as boobs. I make no apologies.:eek:

I'm pretty certain Kara has smacked Ultraman around before, but I can't tell the difference between them.

IvCNuB4
08-26-2010, 08:40 AM

As the boobs get bigger, the bracers get smaller :biggrin:

missferris
08-26-2010, 08:42 AM
As the boobs get bigger, the bracers get smaller :biggrin:

I totally noticed that, too!

In reality, her boobs are decent-sized there. Just very ... uh, "showcased"

But her bracers are teeeeeny.

Uxas
08-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah, for some reason the first thing I noticed was Donna's rack. Not necessarily a bad thing...

This arc will be a decisive one for me. I thought the Dark Things arc was ok, if Robinson delivers with this one, I'm definitely on board for more.

By the way, unlike others it seems, I think that Bagley's art is a defining aspect of this book right now. Replacing him could make the book less unique in a sense.

Darrell D.
08-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Is it just me, or does the perspective and anatomy look waaaayyy off?

Apathy Lad
08-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Power Ring is the Kyle Rayner version? I thought he was John Stewart or Hal Jordan's doppelganger.

the4thpip
08-26-2010, 10:27 AM

Yup, Donna's waist must be almost twice as long as Supergirl's already overly long waiste. And Ultraman brings flashbacks of Rob Liefeld's Captain America pin-up.

Jake V
08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Am I the only one who notices the hidden message in the letters surrounding Donna?

hotrodimus
08-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Dick is surrounded by the hot ladies. (wait... i didnt mean it that way! honest!)
they should get frank cho to do art for this JLA team.

the4thpip
08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Am I the only one who notices the hidden message in the letters surrounding Donna?

"Shut the F*ck up"?

Ethan does those things sometimes. He hid the word "sex" over and over in some of his X-Men art.

He's 12. :tongue:

zomg
08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
For a second there I thought Dick was looking up taking a peek below Supergirl's skirt on a closer examination I realised he was merely getting punched by Owlman. :p

Joe Franklin
08-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Van Sciver should have stuck to drawing his Cyber Frog comic book. He tries to channel Brian Bolland, but he never even gets close.

Apathy Lad
08-26-2010, 10:37 AM

I just noticed that. Wow, Sciver, wow.

Paj Meen Ah
08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah, his New X-Men "sex" issue is infamous. This would be fine, if that "f" wasn't so random.

Artificial idiot
08-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I really like that Power Ring's costume has the same pronounced symbol of light thing going on as the recent Green Lantern stuff. :) Quite cool!

the4thpip
08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah, his New X-Men "sex" issue is infamous. This would be fine, if that "f" wasn't so random.

It's from the "of" in Justice League of America. What's so random about it?

BYC
08-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Gonna have to get this. I can't resist Crime Syndicate. Looks like the Anti-Matter ones too. JLA might get rocked.

Fused
08-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Van Sciver is a master at his craft.

Professor Moriarty
08-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Ethan Van Sciver is the man!

the4thpip
08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Van Sciver is a master at his craft.

As long as you mean "hiding juvenile messages" as being his craft. Cause lord knows that is not good artwork.

It's not as overly rendered as some of his previous work, but it's not very well composed, the foreshortening is way off as is the anatomy on most of the figures. Donna would have to be on a Gingold diet to have a stretched out Torso like that. Batman's and Superwoman's legs are out of proportion. Ultraman's muscles are Liefeld-bad. How exactly did Supergirl and Ultraman miss each other from those positions? Or do they somehow have phasing powers like Phantom Girl or Kitty Pride now?

The coloring is nice, though.

The Lucky One
08-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Did Power Ring specifically design that vise to emphasize Jade's boobs?

"It lifts and separates! Nya-ha-ha!"

-D

Wildbird
08-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Van Sciver should have stuck to drawing his Cyber Frog comic book. He tries to channel Brian Bolland, but he never even gets close.

To be fair, his earliest DC work - Impulse - was, IMO, very cute and not overly realistic like it is now. Like this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100330124735/marvel_dc/images/5/54/Bart_the_Christmas_scout.jpg

If I had just posted this randomly, you probably wouldn't believe he drew the above pic.

DoyleDog
08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
this looks promising and would actually pick it up if it weren't $4.99. i know its 56 pages but of those 56 pages i bet there is a sufficient amount of padding.

Jimmy Bond
08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll get this issue. If I like it, I will continue. If not, you know the rest.

I hope Robinson doesn't disappoint this time.

JessieMidnight
08-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I'll check this out because of the Crime Syndicate, so it should be a fun story.

Is Doctor Impossible, and his "New Gods" appearring in this arc? I can't remember the solicit for the up coming months, but isn't he suppose to make a return during this arc?

Zembo
08-26-2010, 09:19 PM
this looks promising and would actually pick it up if it weren't $4.99. i know its 56 pages but of those 56 pages i bet there is a sufficient amount of padding.

I don't SEE any padd....

oh, wait, sorry.

marshal99
08-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Feel bad for the Crime Syndicate , they will get jobbed out to the JLA replacement B-squad.

Apathy Lad
08-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Feel bad for the Crime Syndicate , they will get jobbed out to the JLA replacement B-squad.

We'll be lucky if they don't fall to the might of Mikaal Thomas and Congorilla.

GiantRaven
08-27-2010, 10:22 AM
I totally noticed that, too!

In reality, her boobs are decent-sized there. Just very ... uh, "showcased"

But her bracers are teeeeeny.

You're kidding right...

marvelprince
08-27-2010, 10:54 AM
I'll check this out because of the Crime Syndicate, so it should be a fun story.

Is Doctor Impossible, and his "New Gods" appearring in this arc? I can't remember the solicit for the up coming months, but isn't he suppose to make a return during this arc?

Dr. Impossible is probably the way the CSA end up on our Earth. Remember when we last saw them they had finished assembling that device to let them view the multiverse.

missferris
08-27-2010, 01:38 PM
You're kidding right...

Her breasts are not outrageously sized there. They look the same size they always have been before recent artists made her PG-sized. It's just that her torso is skinny like a dachshund's and long, and the way they are shown makes them look much bigger. considering they are usually bigger than her head, a boob each? Yeah, they don't look too terrible to me.

Munkiman
08-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Hope Robinson's execution does the idea here justice. The "Replacement JLA" fighting against the Crime Syndicate - evil versions of "The A-Listers" they've replaced ... is a cool concept.

Dick Grayson vs. Thomas Wayne Jr. ... I mean, that's just golden.

And Supergirl and Ultraman ... this almost has to be the Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 ... because the Anti-Matter Ultraman cheesed it during Final Crisis.

That does sound like a cool idea now that you mention it. But I don't know how this is going to mess with the continuity - either they're bringing back antimatter Ultraman, or they're disregarding the fact that Earth-3 has a Crime Society, not a Crime Syndicate. And since it's Robinson writing, it's not going to be very good anyway - I just don't want him messing with the CSA for other writers in the future, because I really want someone to do the new Earth-3 concept justice one of these days. How hard is it to wrap your mind around the fact that it's evil Earth-2? And yet they always just use JLA characters!

Blah, sorry for the rant. Never mind me.

mswood
08-28-2010, 01:19 PM

It's not just you. In my opinion it is extremely poor piece of work.

titanfan
08-28-2010, 01:24 PM

They've been jobbed out to B and C-Listers before, shouldn't really be an issue.

superchick
08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
We need new definitions of B and C listers because this team has a good spread of A, B and C to me. Or does 'A-List' now only refer to 'characters I feel matter the most!'

Froggy
08-28-2010, 02:28 PM
We need new definitions of B and C listers because this team has a good spread of A, B and C to me. Or does 'A-List' now only refer to 'characters I feel matter the most!'

pretty much it seems like

DC Fan Xman
08-29-2010, 03:14 PM

YEAH!!!!!!:biggrin:

Teal_Lantern
08-29-2010, 04:14 PM
This image is way too cluttered, and the anatomy is off.

To be fair, his earliest DC work - Impulse - was, IMO, very cute and not overly realistic like it is now. Like this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100330124735/marvel_dc/images/5/54/Bart_the_Christmas_scout.jpg

If I had just posted this randomly, you probably wouldn't believe he drew the above pic.

Holy Crap! How does he run in those giant shoes?

theyallfalldown
08-30-2010, 06:15 AM

wouldnt be the first time with EVS art, also there was a piece on bleedinng cool news about the letters on and around donna spelling out "stfu" the immature prankster strikes again.

i am having to be honest in that im not a huge fan of evs art, his people usually generally look really evil or really ugly.

burr787
08-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Holy Crap! How does he run in those giant shoes?

Seriously, they're bigger than his friggin' torso.

Froggy
08-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Seriously, they're bigger than his friggin' torso.

his leg muscles r RIPPED