PDA

View Full Version : Good Neighbors and Bad Neighbors

Gail Simone
06-28-2010, 09:50 AM
When my husband and I first got married we were poor as churchmice, and we lived in a crappy apartment building, where our neighbors were HORRIBLE redneck freaks named Chet and Rhonda.

They were AWFUL. They would fight every night and get drunk and play shitty music and we would hear their fights, and they had a little boy and they were awful to him too. I don't think there was physical abuse, but they most definitely sucked hard and they were scary as hell.

I was walking to my job one day and Chet pulled up behind me in his car (I was just eighteen) on this dark scary road, and he and his friend offered me a 'ride,' and were laughing about it, the creepiest thing ever, and also very gross.

Rhonda showed up at my door one day, I had never even spoken to her, and she wanted to sell me her fur jacket for some cash, or she said she could sell me food stamps. No, thank you, please just go away, thank you.

Creepy, awful, I was so happy to leave.

Now we live in a nice neighborhood in a small town, and the neighbors aren't exactly close, we don't socialize, but when my son went around selling crab dinner tickets to raise money for a student program to go to Japan with some others from his high school, several people donated and were incredibly nice about it. One turned him down and then made a point to come by later and say he had just gotten paid and wanted to contribute. It meant a lot to Dakota.

My next door neighbors are a retired couple, and they not only bought tickets, they made Dakota a little card wishing him well on his travels and included 25$ spending money for his trip. We don't even really know them.
Once, a couple years back, my greyhound got out when I was away, and my neighbors tracked him down (nearly impossible) and got him in the house just to be kind. It's a big deal, because greyhounds don't know to be afraid of cars, and have no homing instinct. They just run til they get lost and can't get back.

Good neighbors are pretty great.

Tell about your great and awful neighbors, please!

Teal_Lantern
06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I remember when I was little, there was an angry lady across the hall, always yelling at everyone most of the time. After a rather intense incident, she apologized for everything and talked it out.

Now, I have two awesome neighbours. One is an old couple whoa are extremely nice to us. When my brother went to University, they gave us $100

Our other guys are a family, sometimes they enjoy to party loudly, but overall are pretty nice. They always help us out with building, etc.

So, I've never really had a bad neighbour. :)

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I had one at my old place that I'd wish would be kidnapped by Lex Luthor and he'd surgically give her the head of Fred Durst.

One time, about 9 years ago she banged on our door real late at night (just as I had gone to bed, in fact) shrieking for practically all the world to hear that our hot water heater was leaking into her home (our apartments adjoined). The next day, after plumbers had come over and traipsed through our place for hours, it turned out that it was actually her own that was leaking. Not even an apology from her. And that's not even getting into this utterly baffling idea she got into her head that I apparently kept running around/stomping through the house all through the night and thus kept waking her up (on one occasion she came calling, I was dead ASLEEP and only heard about it from Ma in the morning; on another, I was sitting at the computer). She called the cops on me for this imagined noise once and I was literally shaking with rage after the encounter.

She's probably the only woman on the planet I'd gladly call a cunt and not care where I was or who was listening.

There was another utter head-scratcher near my current apartment a while ago, too; though I myself wasn't involved (thank God). Apparently, Ma found a couple kids from around the area taking trash out of the dumpster and setting it on fire. And that's not even the best part. No, the best part was that their mother was watching them do this. No, I lie; it gets EVEN BETTER. The reason she was watching them was apparently so 'the fires wouldn't get too outta control.' The cops were naturally called on the kids, and thankfully, we haven't heard a peep outta these little twats or their twat parents since then.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
On the other hand, one of our current neighbors (she's from upstairs) seems like a decent sort. She even gave us some of her homemade ice cream once.

Pro
06-28-2010, 10:21 AM
I nearly kicked the door in of one of my neighbors who insisted on turning her music up loud enough to override the noise of her vacuum cleaner. In my defense I asked nicely 3 times, after that i nearly put my foot through her door.
Thankfully a few weeks later i could escape that hellhole: 75% of people were asocial, drug addicts, drug dealers and assorted scum.

Well i was finally rid of the shithole after the new owner send his goon friend with the broken nose by my house, claiming i robbed his friend's house. The new owner owed me 500 bucks. So that was clearly to scare me away from collecting my money.

In my new house i lived briefly next to a man and his son who resold stolen goods. I came borrowing something sometime and he asked me if i needed a car, which he could get from Poland with papers and all (the car would no doubt have been stolen). I said no thanks i don't have a driver's licence. But that was no problem he said, he could fix that too. No thanks. He died of a heartattack a few weeks later.

I had another neighbor a few houses further who most likely was a part-time prostitute with two little kids. Her door window was broken just about once a month and she lost her kids after running away from someone she owed money to, leaving her 2 year olds in the care of an 11 year old who had to deal with the angry window smashing brute.
Thank god she's gone, thank god the kids were taken away.

As long as I don't notice my neighbors existing i get along just fine with them.
I don't need good neighbors, i need quiet neighbors.

KevinTBrown
06-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Worse neighbors were the ones who lived in the apartment above me and my wife about a year after we got married. Part of the problem is you could not speak to them as they were from Poland and understood very little English. The father spoke it well enough, but conveniently "forgot" at certain times.

We lived in a 3-flat. Decent neighbors on the bottom, my wife and me in the middle apartment, neighbors from hell on top. (Important to remember that.) The daughter, who was in high school (15, 16?) had loads of friends. Always had them over to visit, etc., BUT they never came upstairs. She always leaned out the front window to talk with them. Always quite loudly. She also loved to play her music LOUD. We asked her to turn it down, she turned up louder. That went on for a couple of weeks. Finally I had enough and turned my Bose speakers up to the ceiling and flipped on the music. (I had forewarned our downstairs neighbors about it, but they didn't mind since they were going to be gone for the day.) The walls literally were vibrating.... Kept it that way for an hour or so. Never had a problem after that.

The worst thing that ever happened upstairs though was the one time they were fighting. Not verbally, physically. The daughter and father were arguing and you could hear him hitting her. We finally called 911 when she hit the floor not once but twice like a dead body. Cops got there, she ran out, they talked with the cops, nothing happened. About 6 months later they moved.

Best neighbors I have are the people who own the auto repair shop across the alley from where I live. Not only are they the best mechanics, but whenever we're away they always keep an eye on our house. It also helps that they have cameras in the back that partially "cover" my back yard. They've definitely gone above and beyond what an "average" neighbor would do. Sometimes the best neighbors are not the ones living next door to you, but working next door.

Sarah Beach
06-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Bad neighbors: years ago a couple moved into the apartment next to me (my bedroom shares the wall with their bathroom). I don't know if they were married, but they were certainly "together". The day they were moving in, I came home and my warning signals went off when I noted that the furniture was rented. They turned out to be very quarellsome. In fact he was downright abusive.

It very quickly got to the point that if I woke suddenly out of a dead sleep, all I had to do is look at the clock and know it was because he'd just gotten home drunk from work (he worked as a bartender, I think), and was whacking her around. (It was usually not long after 2 am - and closing time was 2.)

There came a point where he was so violent and she was hollering so much that one of the neighbors called the cops. At the time, we didn't have a security gate out front, so the cops came right in to their door. As it happened, he'd stopped about five minutes before they arrived. But since I was up and awake, I mentioned that to the officers after they'd spoken to the neighbors.

I think that incident told the woman that we were quite aware of what was happening. Socially the rest of us in the building - there are 23 apartments around a courtyard - left them alone. Nobody liked him. One of the other neighbors had a ginger cat that would occasionally lap water from the pool, and apparently He-Bad Neighbor came home when Krieger was doing that, and he just kicked the cat into the pool. For the heck of it. Anyway, the next time after the cops were called when he came home stinking drunk and started beating her up (and from the sound of it, possibly "maritally raping" her) she really hollered for help. Sure enough, the cops were called (one of the other neighbors beat me at calling it in), and since it was a repeat on domestic violence, this time, they made a full on entrance -- unscrewed the light by the neighbors' door, and kicked the door in (the beating was still going on at that point).

They hauled the guy out into the courtyard, and he was dressed in his jeans and cowboy boots (and that only). The female officer stayed in the apartment with the woman. The guy launched into blatant lying claiming that he'd just gotten home from work, and she'd been with another guy before he got home (a lie), and that she was beating up him. The officer taking his statement, who had been looking the guy in the face while taking notes, just paused, slowy looked down him taking in the jeans and cowboy boots and then back up to the guy's face. I'd never seen such an eloquent silent statement of skepticism. It also made me suspect that they'd found the woman naked. But because the guy had made the counter accusation of assault, the cops had to take both of them in.

Two days later, she was back home at the apartment, and the guy came tapping at their door. And talked his way in. He went on about how his buddy had paid his bail, but that she was still in serious trouble with the law, and he was sooooo concerned about her, and they really needed to talk. On and on. And eventually she let him in.

They were evicted in pretty short order.

Seriously, when I was woken out of dead sleep so frequently, I reached the point of fearing he'd bring a gun home someday. And the walls being what they are, I knew if that happened I wouldn't necessarily be safe.

What made the whole thing worse was that he was a little pipsqueak of a guy, short and thin. But mean as all heck.

They were real "standouts" in the neighbors I've had in this building. Mostly the neighbors have been really great. The courtyard factor fosters friendly interaction. And the pool is a real nice size, so that you can actually swim laps (not being an overgrown bathtub). So people like to sit outside and chat with the neighbors as we come and go.

Free-Man
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
We have real nice neighbors.

I don't know if you know this, but bike theft is a pretty lucrative crime, and my brother keeps his bike chained up in our backyard. There had been a rash of bike thefts in our neighborhood, and the woman who lives next to us made sure to run over and tell us one day when she saw several thuggish looking kids walking into our backyard.

We were all very thankful.

pariah-1972
06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Oh god i got into a huge fight with my neighbor across the street cause she came up to me in the middle of the night yelling at me about my moms SUV cause it's lights keep her poor little baby awake ---Excuse me what the hell am i supposed to do about that lady?
nobody ever listens to me in this family anyways and i'm not gonna tell them not to come over past a certain time especially when she has loud bikers coming over at 3 am Hypcrocrite :mad:

The ones right next door to me claim to be Christians and have church in their house but they came over and chopped down one of my trees without even asking me just cause it's branches where going over his fence.:mad:

Then the one on the other side had his big golden retriever barking right next to my house very loudly all day and all night so i had to call the cops on him(i didn't know who he was so i didn't want a confrontation)
we did talk afterwords and i only had to go to his house once and complain now he has stopped barking and i don't see his dog out as much i guess were cool now i see him walking his dog and my dog likes his and stuff.

AthenAltena
06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I currently live in a building where the top floor is rented by kids in a foreign exchange program, and they're infamous for their bad behavior and wrecking the staircases and hallways by putting holes in the walls and leaving their trash everywhere. The folks above me frequently had loud parties until really early in the morning, blasted music and would do stuff like bang on the floor late into the night.

But they really crossed the line when one day these two drunk French guys started banging on our door demanding to be let in to the party, too drunk to realize they were on the wrong floor. They didn't leave even when my roommate and I (both female, they were asking for a male) told them to get the hell out through the door, and the a week later the same guys did the exact same thing! We called the maintenance guy who lives in our building and he went thermonuclear on them. Then one week when I was out of town they apparently did it again, and the nice girl who lives across from us called the maintenance guy again with results that apparently made the first time look subtle. He's now looking at slapping fines on these guys and putting a clause in their lease that can get them kicked out, and at least one person had to move out because of the crap they did. Since then it's been dead silent above us.

Dark Galaxy
06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
When I was in college we had an apartment right next to a bunch of other college kids. We had 4 roommates each and lived in a building that was separate from the rest of the complex, and faced a different direction. So, it was pretty much the perfect college party location. We never bothered anyone else (or at least never got complaints), and it was fun fun fun.

I once lived in a serious slum lord type situation with the worst neighbors ever. They fought all the time, screamed, threw beer bottles off the top balcony etc. We had to call the cops on them once because I thought somebody was going to get seriously hurt. The next evening, my boyfriend and I walked to the store, and when we came back, the cops were at our apartment and our door had been busted down. The upstairs neighbors had called the cops to retaliate, and said they feared for my life. All while we were at the store buying ingredients so I could bake a cake. The cops were pissed at the upstairs neighbors when we came strolling back with grocery bags in our hands.

Our current neighbors are great. The people behind us keep to themselves, which is perfect. Our next door neighbors have 3 kids, one of which is the same age as my son. They play together, hang out, and do all that stereotypical suburban stuff kids do.

md62
06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I have been lucky. Other than one or two bad incidents over my lifetime I have had mostly postive experiences. As a kid I lived in three different houses & as long as there was someone on the street to play with it was good!!

As an adult I have lived in 2 apts. Both were quiet & everyone kept to themselves. Plus I wasn't home alot since I was in college & working at that time. I have lived in two homes as an adult. The first was a two bedroom home that my wife & I rented. It was on a farm - sort of a starter home for any of the kids but it wasn't being used so they rented it for income. It was a great experience. The second is our current home that we bought 18 yrs ago. It is in a small town of about 5000 residents & has been a great place to raise a family. We know most of our neighbors although as our kids have gotten older I notice we have less interactions with our neighbors.

SUPERECWFAN1
06-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I've never had horrible neighbors. I've had weird ones. Like...

A few years ago me and my parents lived in this street where the neighbor across from us would pick the funniest times to go near naked. She was married and kinda good looking too. But it was fall of the year and early one morning when she got up and came out. It was in the 30's/40's that morning and we wore jackets. We look over and on her porch , reading a book in a thin shirt only ...is the girl.

Nothing else...just a thin short shirt....near naked ...cold as hell , reading a book on her porch. We never say a word. But as one neighbor told us...she had 2/3 kids from different dads. And she would try and hit on the men on the street that lived there .

A lot of the days I'd come back from work , one of the dads would be there . He's stay an hour or 2 as the kid played outside while he had some sex. Then a few days later Dad 2 would swing by....have some sex while that kid played outside. Plus there was a boyfriend who'd swing by as the kids were at school...so he could have sex....:tongue:

I wonder if she is still juggling all these men ?

My new neighbors are pretty cool. One of them is a classic shade tree mechanic. But he's more like Tim Allen and breaks more than he repairs....like today I had him put a CD player in my Explorer. Well he wired it up and put it in. But he also blew the speakers in it...and now I gotta replace em lol.

ShaunN
06-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Hm. I can't say that I remember ever having bad neighbours. Most of my neighbour experiences have been pretty good.

When I was living in Toronto, I lived at a grad residence. I had my own room, but shared a kitchen. Everyone there was very nice and were from a variety of countries, so it was also a great cultural experience. Then, I lived for three years in a nice basement bachelor apartment (which was also very big) in an old renovated house just a few blocks away from the campus. My landlords lived down the street and were great; my neighbour above me was a very nice young woman who already had a doctoral degree in biochemisty and was studying to be a medical Dr. She was also in the army.

Presently, I live in a townhouse development. All of my neighbours are older people - at 44, I'm one of the youngest people in the complex! - and they are great. A neighbour two doors down is a friend. I visit his wife and him regularly and they take care of my mail when I am gone. (I return the favour when I can).

My only negative experience is when I served on the townhouse board last year and we had to decide what to do about two couples who had brought in new pets, which is against the townhouse rules.

Skib
06-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Right now I live out in the country and my closest neighbors are the biggest rednecks you'd ever come across, but they are absolutely awesome people. We constantly swap fresh veggies or baked goods. The let us know ahead of time if they have a party and we return the favor. And when they play loud music, it's not a stereo, but a country/southern rock band that plays on their porch. I'm not a fan of country music, but some days, any live music will do. We hang out. Drink a beer or 3 together. I'm gonna miss them when we move in a few months.

dupont2005
06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't know any of my neighbors by name. My house is on a corner lot and faces the cross street so everyone elses front door is around the corner from me. I run into a couple neighbors once in a while. The couple across the street are a couple of weirdo's. They have an entire lot filled with exotic plants and exercise equipment and the husband is running around all day and night in bicycle shorts playing Tarzan in there or something. Once I saw him trying to chat up some high school girls and show them his garden. That was when I decided not to talk with them. The wife must be the bread winner in that relationship because she isn't home much and the man never leaves.

Across the cross street are some kids. One of them has a rich father who bought the house as an investment and allows the kid and his friends to live there for free. They party a lot and have the cops at the house all the time. If beer bottles are left in my yard I throw them in theirs and make sure they break. My car has not been vandalized yet.

Down the street is a guy with a car detail business. He is vacuuming cars every afternoon out front and it can be annoying, but at least it's during the day. Sometimes at night he's playing his narco corridos too loud for my taste but he turns them off by 8:00pm which is when I like to watch TV. I suspect it's when he likes to watch TV too.

Romero
06-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Our current apartment is right next to the complex pool. There have been many times where folks in the complex think that 3 AM on a Thursday is a great time to go to the pool and play water volleyball. Loudly. The rules have always been that the pool closes at 10 PM but now the management has taken to actually locking it at 10 at night due to complaints. Many of them likely from us!

At our old duplex, the dudes who moved in next door were such stoners that the smell started coming into our side too. Plus they had a really big dog that they kept inside, as opposed to letting him go in the big, fenced backyard. The dog did not appreciate this and would show it by barking loudly and constantly until one of the guys came home.

My "favorite" neighbor is Ron Paul Guy. I've never met him but I see him walking out to the bus stop sometimes wearing his Ron Paul hat, Ron Paul tshirt and still carrying his Ron Paul for President 2008 sign, and holding it aloft for all passers-by to see. Gotta admire that commitment. :tongue:

SUPERECWFAN1
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
My "favorite" neighbor is Ron Paul Guy. I've never met him but I see him walking out to the bus stop sometimes wearing his Ron Paul hat, Ron Paul tshirt and still carrying his Ron Paul for President 2008 sign, and holding it aloft for all passers-by to see. Gotta admire that commitment. :tongue:

If ya remember Ron Paul said the REVOLUTION was not over ! So its gonna continue .

Weetomuncher
06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Most of my stories are about bad neighbours sadly.

When I lived in Port Glasgow, my neighbours were the family from hell. not just A family from hell but THE family from hell.

They played loud music, made constant noise, had huge gangs of drunken and drugged up youths in and around their house and caused constant trouble. They also shouted sectarian and racist comments at my family simply because we are Scottish Protestants and they were of Irish Catholic background. Their son wore a Celtic shirt with IRA messages on the back and played pro-terrorist music, especially around major football matches despite us not provoking this in any way.

The whole disagreement was caused by my Dad asking their son not to make a noise at 3am in the morning in the back garden.

They got constantly worse despite constant police action.

I became badly depressed and almost got into serious trouble with the cops after having a major disagreement with a cop who didn't seem to care what was happening.

We got our own back in many ways when the father and son were arrested one night as they were abusive to the cops while drunk. Their son should have previously went to jail for spitting on two cops outside a nightclub but he somehow escaped jail as it couldn't be proven that he spat on both cops but just one and he was fined instead.

The little retard managed to last three weeks in the army (yeah, an IRA sympathiser joined the British Army!) before he was thrown out for being useless and apparently crying to go home according to people who knew him.

Their daughter was an amateur prostitute and the mother was a stupid, arrogant woman who didn't understand anything.

My present neighbour is a stupid single mother who doesn't keep her crazy, hyperactive son under control and he runs around screaming for hours on end. She has said she is moving out after action was taken against her.

SUPERECWFAN1
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
One of the worst fueding neighbors stories I saw Friday on Dateline. It was just so pathetic that it escalated to the point it ended with the loss of lives sadly.

The story involves John Kenney , Mel & Elizabeth Grimes. Whats amazing is Grimes is in fact a lawyer and former hippie.

Kenney moved into this neighborhood where he was supposed to share a road on a hill with his across the road neighbor Mel Grimes Jr. Grimes had lived there basically for years and everyone on the road got along....til Kenney came in.

There was a road bridge that Kenney wanted to replace and he wanted to pay someone to do the job. Grimes at 1st said he'd fix it. But then he didn't and Kenney replaced it. He had thought the fee would be split and once that didn't happen ....he took Grimes to court and won.

The seeds were sown there. Kenney was someone who as an egineer wanted real order in his life. But the people he moved across were former hippies who had their yard stuff , house and all outta order. The son claimed it was a funky house how the dad had it fixed.

Kenney hated that. He would soon start calling in on Grimes claiming he was dumping bushes and branches on the neighbors. Creating a fire hazard for the valley.

The 2 soon started telling on each others building wise. Even though they couldn't see the add ons they did.

But things were escalating as lawyers got involved and Grimes was warned to lock his dogs up. The home was buglerized and the dog was posioned and the cats went missing. They suspected Kenney.

Anyhow time passed and Kenney found a new war to launch . Seems that there was a small 4 foot piece of land by 10 that was on the Grimes side of the road , where they'd cross to get in and outta the driveway. It really if ya saw the maps that Dateline showed was....it wasn't worth raging a war over.

But Kenney did...he planted a garden there to block the Grimes from coming outta the driveway. Mel Grimes just drove over it to enter his driveway. Kenney got pissed and snapped a pic claiming Elizabeth slammed his head to the ground. The Grimes claimed that Kenney caused it and hurt himself .

The war escalated and after more anger Grimes suffered some heart trouble. But Kenney still wanted to wage his war it seemed. His lawyers advised he should place a huge 1 ton boulder there . To block the neighbors from their driveway for the hell of it.

The Grimes came home and the man started to get his tools and try and bust the boulder to get in his carport. Elizabeth Grimes calls 911 to try and get the police to help. Kenney walks over and orders em off his land (remember its a 4x10 piece ...across the road on the Grimes side...blocking the entrance) as Grimes tells him to basically kiss his ass and the cops were coming.

Kenney pulls and gun and shoots both of them. Killing them...

Kenney would go to jail and get basically life in jail. As one juror told , they had no fucking pity for Kenney since he basically escalated it all. That he shot an un-armed woman ...TWICE. The prosecuter called him a coward and that his army training that he claimed saved him didn't come into play here. As he killed an un-armed woman !

To this day he still claims he was right. This again is after a small 4x10 piece of land on the Grimes side . But as Morrison and Dateline reports Kenney couldn't stand the hippie lawyer and how he lived. How his house was built so damn crazy and how his garden was .

bert
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
well, we live next to a rental house that has 5 bedrooms.

and it seems to attract the worst kind of trash with LOTS of kids (tho the current folks aren't the worst).

the worst were the people who had 6 kids (and the wife was pregnant again). they hung out a sign made of xmas lights poked thru tinfoil spelling out thier name.

and put a big wooden playscape up right along the edge of the property fence (so it wasn't near thier back patio) --- directly outside of our bedroom window.

yep, more than once I woke up and looked out upon a 4 or 5 year old on top of the playscape peeking over the fence and trying to look thru our window.

when they were evicted (they snuck out in the middle of the month without paying rent), I told the owners that if they didn't remove the playscape, I was pushing it down.

The owners came by that day and confiscated it to put towards rent owned.

now our neighbors on the other side? She takes baking classes and often drops by with "practice" cakes :) Those are my kind of neighbors!

Cam63
06-28-2010, 06:58 PM
I've been fortunate to only had decent neighbours so far.

Sagafan
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
My neighbors are a mixed bag. The ones across the street are good. An older couple that's been in the neighborhood longer than I have. We trade vegetables from our gardens and I take care of their pets when they're away.

One of the houses beside me is someone's summer house, so I rarely see them and know nothing about them.

The house on the other side I've come to think of as the criminal house. Since it became a rental everyone that's stayed there has had trouble with the law. First it was a fugitive sex offender then it was a thieving drug addict. I'm just waiting for the latest tenant to have trouble.

Solaris
06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
I count my blessings every day that we have some of the sweetest next-door neighbors ever put on this earth. :biggrin:

We're not the "neighborhood social" type ourselves... maybe because we're a bit off-beat, idk. But our next-door neighbors are the kind of awesome who will keep an eye on the house when you're away (and catch your mail to boot), always there for you in an emergency, loan you their lawnmower, stand and jaw in the yard when you (or they) are outside working, share some of the "too much veggies we picked up at the farmer's market"---stuff like that. We've taken care of each other's pets when the other was on vacation (with the added bonus of pool and hottub use on their side, lol), we've gone to each other's parties and out to dinner together... and if Finn ever needs someone to run to in an emergency, they're there for him. Nicest, sweetest people in the world, and a whole lot of fun, too.

Did I mention that they're a gay couple who've been together for about 15 years? :D There's one in the eye for those who think gays corrupt America: our very best neighbors, the ones who are like family for us, who embody the very best standards of what "a good neighbor" means, are two incredible people who just happen to be gay. (And those here who know me know why that got mentioned last, or mentioned at all---for those who don't know me, you'll figure it out soon enough.) :biggrin: :biggrin:

TomStillwell
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
My current neighbors are a mixed bag.

On one side we have our neighbors that are usually pretty decent unless they get drunk and then they tend to do very loud karaoke in their backyard to bad soft 70s-80s rock until 3AM. You haven't lived until you've heard a drunken Filipino man sing YMCA in broken English.

On the other side is the nicest man you could meet. He's elderly but he's out and about walking every day whenever I leave for work. Always with the "How are you, sir? You have a wonderful day, sir." and a smile. I worry about him because he doesn't have any family. A car hit him last year and he broke his arm. I helped him as best as I could. Still I have to get up pretty early on snow days or he'll beat me outside to start shoveling.

mgs
06-28-2010, 09:04 PM
growing up, I had one of the worst and the best neighbors. when we first moved in, I & my sister were little and my parents young, obviously, but one guy, was horrible. Anything that went near or landed on 'his' grass was immediately confiscated and he yelled at us. He would glare at us through the windows all the time and he and my dad were constantly bickering over property lines. he even yelled at us because 'our' tree was getting leaves on his property.

well, he's gone now, but we found out that he was just a lonely old guy and he got more friendly, etc. before he passed away my parents told me. I experienced some of it, but I never forgot.

now, I've got some young punk drug dealers at the end of my block and their 'clients' race around at night to make deals. everyone has complained about them, but the cops say they need a few more arrests before they can kick them out.

also a neighbor acts like it's his block. sure he's good about telling on the kids, but he's also complaining about everything else. one of his neighbors has young kids and they have a street basketball hoop that he says is bad for the block (he might be a bit racist). but instead he lays his fat ass out in his driveway to sun, like he's living in Queens or something,

Other neighbors are nice. But it's constant drama between those who are cool and those who like to constantly tattle on everything they see as not being their way.

DungeonmasterJim
06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
My neighbors in the 2 locations I've lived have been fairly benign. We did find out that one temporary neighbor had a guy living in their furnished, detached garage. I guess that guy was renting tons of porn and the owner confronted him. The porn guy put a hammer into the back of the owner's head! The owner, who hated and despised hospitals, walked out of the hospital the next day!

They never gave us trouble but I wasn't sorry to see them go.

DM Jim

MacQuarrie
06-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Bad neighbors...

In 1966, I was eight years old. We lived in Hermosa Beach, in a little house on 28th street. Across the street from us was a woman known to the neighborhood as "Frenchie" who lived there with her two children. Neighborhood gossip had it that she was a hooker and a drug dealer who stayed in business by sleeping with the cops and, when occasion warranted, turning in one of her buyers to them. But that isn't what made her a bad neighbor. (At least not to us, though my mom was pretty pissed about how much time my dad spent over there...)

We had a pet rabbit. The world's coolest rabbit, his name was Mr. O'Hare (get it?) and he was smart. He would come when called, and did tricks like sitting up and begging. He would get out of his hutch sometimes, go up the street to a nice neighbor and eat the apples that fell from her tree, then come home.

One day, while we were at school, Frenchie's horrible little savage wild animal of a son came into our back yard and took Mr. O'Hare from his hutch and carried him to the driveway. He hoisted the rabbit high over head and slammed him to the pavement as hard as he could. The rabbit let out a scream, and my mother arrived on the porch in time to see the brat do it again.

When she demanded to know what he thought he was doing, the little bastard explained that he wanted to see the rabbit bounce like they do in the cartoons. The kid expressed no sorrow or remorse, just disappointment that rabbits don't bounce.

When his mother was told what had happened, she basically sneered and said she'd buy us another one so we'd stop bitching about it. No apology was ever forthcoming.

Pseudicide
06-29-2010, 03:25 AM
Currently I live next to my best friend - and except for the fact she's a Kiwi she's perfect. When I'm sick and J is off at work she'll go and get me juice from the dairy and soup and things like that. We have each others keys and feed each others cats and its lovely.

I've had some horrid neighbors. The last house I lived in we had a mad elderly man who not only assaulted my husband for grabbing the wrong council-provided garbage bin once (punched him and ran after him and J wasn't about to punch back an 80 year old man, obvsly) and would throw buckets of water and lemons from his tree over our fence when we had the audacity to be in our backyard with friends at 9pm at night on a Saturday.

I also lived above a rather drunk old man back in St Catharines who'd go mad with his friends and start screaming out of drunkeness and would then bag on our floor with his broom when we called the cops on him. My best friend lived downstairs next to him, and we were sometimes afraid to go down the stairs to each others apartments.

DavidAllred
06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
I think I shared this story four or five years ago, but this would be the about the worst I could imagine.

I used to live on about 2.5 acres in the country. I had a really nice garden and was out picking it one afternoon. My redneck neighbors were always out firing guns and drinking beer, maybe 400 yards from garden. On this day, they were out shooting again. I thought maybe I should go back inside, but my veggies were begging to get picked.

I stood up to wipe the sweat off my brow and I don't know which happened first -- the sound of the gunshot, or the sound of the bullet zipping past my head. It sounded like a really fast bee and just swished by me, probably less than 10 feet. I never saw it, but the row of pine trees behind me crackled as the bullet streamed through them.

I was furious and went to knock on the door. Of course there were no adults home -- just a fifteen year old boy and his twelve year old sister. When the dad finally got home, I went and told him the story to which he promptly called me a liar and slammed the door in my face.

We moved within the year. Now we have GREAT neighbors. But I can't grow a garden in the burbs. :frown:

Skib
06-29-2010, 07:21 AM
We moved within the year. Now we have GREAT neighbors. But I can't grow a garden in the burbs. :frown:

Maybe not a huge one, but you can build yourself some planter boxes and grow some stuff. I just built one this past weekend that was 4' long, 1' wide, and 1' tall. Gonna transplant some tomato plants to it this week. Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to build a square shaped one for my cucumber plant. Aiming for 4'x4'x1'. I need to check to see if I have enough lumber laying around for that.

Solaris
06-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Currently I live next to my best friend - and except for the fact she's a Kiwi she's perfect. When I'm sick and J is off at work she'll go and get me juice from the dairy and soup and things like that. We have each others keys and feed each others cats and its lovely.

I've had some horrid neighbors. The last house I lived in we had a mad elderly man who not only assaulted my husband for grabbing the wrong council-provided garbage bin once (punched him and ran after him and J wasn't about to punch back an 80 year old man, obvsly) and would throw buckets of water and lemons from his tree over our fence when we had the audacity to be in our backyard with friends at 9pm at night on a Saturday.

I also lived above a rather drunk old man back in St Catharines who'd go mad with his friends and start screaming out of drunkeness and would then bag on our floor with his broom when we called the cops on him. My best friend lived downstairs next to him, and we were sometimes afraid to go down the stairs to each others apartments.

What's a Kiwi? :puzzled:

Free-Man
06-29-2010, 08:32 AM

I think it's a term for New Zealanders.

Mark_Parnell
06-29-2010, 08:55 AM
One of the biggest fights amongst neighbours is fences and when my wife and I first moved into our neigbourhood seven years ago we were a young excited newly married couple. That ended when it came time to build a fence (why developers don't just build it and include it in the price is beyond me especially in areas like mine where it is a bylaw) We had to work with 4 different households as the back of our lot backed onto 2 houses. All it takes is one neighbour to say no and well you are basically screwed. We were shit poor after the closing costs but with 2 dogs, needed the fence big time. So everyone agrees and the work begins. Then the one neighbour decides they can't afford it after the work has been completed for the posts and the supplies delivered for the fence. We were out 200 dollars which sucked and we never got the money back.

4PointOh
06-29-2010, 09:57 AM
The biggest problem with my neighbors is the noise they make.

Most of my neighbors own dogs and they have the very irritating tendency to let their dogs out into the backyard in the middle of the night (after 11 p.m.) and the dogs bark and bark and bark to the point where we can't get a decent night's sleep.

There's a Cuban family two doors down who don't need an excuse to party and blast their music into the wee hours (even though in NYC, ordinances call for loud noise to cease after 11 p.m. in residential neighborhoods).

There's also members of the family next door who think our front yard is their personal hang out spot.

If anyone's the good neighbor on my block, it's me. I sweep the dust, rake the leaves, and shovel the snow in front of my house and the neighbors on either side of me because I think it's the neighborly thing to do. I sign for, hold, and deliver their packages. I ALWAYS say "Good morning" or "Good evening," even when they're trying really hard to pretend they don't see me.

I love my neighborhood (historic Bedford Stuyvesant in Brooklyn, NY), but my neighbors could DEFINITELY be better.

Ship
06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Only really had one bad experience with neighbours. Last summer, the parents in the house two doors down went away for the summer leaving their daughter on her own. Well she didn't want to be alone. She brought in a lot of guys to keep her company. We counted at least 15 different guys at various times.

We see these guys doing drug deals in front of the house on the street, vandalizing the church next door, loud music late at night, etc. One time a friend of ours came by to pick up some stuff we had left on the porch for him and found three of these guys sitting on our front stoop. He questioned them about why they were there they just walked away.

Fortunately this only lasted a couple months but it was a sucky couple months.

JadeCanary
06-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I'll just say I don't miss living in a dorm. Worst ever neighbors of mine were these three girls who lived in the dorm room beside mine. I went to college in downtown Boston, and the dorm building was an old brownstone that had long ago been a hotel. Because of its setup, my roommate and I shared a private bathroom with the three aforementioned girls, who happened to be insanely ditzy and airheaded. How exactly they got accepted into my school, I'll never understand, but I digress.

So, we had to deal with them constantly locking us out of the bathroom because they'd "forget" to unlock our entrance door (the bathroom was in between our two rooms, with one door on each side). One night, at like 2:30 in the morning, my roommate and I are fast asleep, only to be woken up to one of the girls sobbing her eyes out and crying hysterically in the bathroom. She was pretty drunk and crying that her boyfriend had broken up with her. She went on to explain to her friends, who were sitting in the bathroom with her, that he was the first "geeky" guy she'd ever liked. "HE WAS MY FIRST DORK LOVE AND HE DUMPED ME!"

Apparently her way to get back at him was to blare her stupid Britney Spears CD very loud at 2:30 in the morning. My roommate and I had midterms and needed sleep, this was on like a Wednesday, and we were getting pissed. Asked them nicely to lower the music, but our request went unheeded. We kept knocking to try get them to open up and talk to us, but they wouldn't, and we decided to slip this (http://archivos.metatube.com/uploads/gallery/pics/gallery_pic_2865_31332.jpg) little picture under their door.

It didn't exactly go over too well, they got the RA involved, and somehow WE were the ones who wound up in trouble, but meh. The rest of the year resulted in a pretty interesting feud between our two rooms, the details of which are probably better left unsaid, but they were definitely the most entertaining, if not infuriating, neighbors I've ever had.

AthenAltena
06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I'll just say I don't miss living in a dorm. Worst ever neighbors of mine were these three girls who lived in the dorm room beside mine. I went to college in downtown Boston, and the dorm building was an old brownstone that had long ago been a hotel. Because of its setup, my roommate and I shared a private bathroom with the three aforementioned girls, who happened to be insanely ditzy and airheaded. How exactly they got accepted into my school, I'll never understand, but I digress.

So, we had to deal with them constantly locking us out of the bathroom because they'd "forget" to unlock our entrance door (the bathroom was in between our two rooms, with one door on each side). One night, at like 2:30 in the morning, my roommate and I are fast asleep, only to be woken up to one of the girls sobbing her eyes out and crying hysterically in the bathroom. She was pretty drunk and crying that her boyfriend had broken up with her. She went on to explain to her friends, who were sitting in the bathroom with her, that he was the first "geeky" guy she'd ever liked. "HE WAS MY FIRST DORK LOVE AND HE DUMPED ME!"

Apparently her way to get back at him was to blare her stupid Britney Spears CD very loud at 2:30 in the morning. My roommate and I had midterms and needed sleep, this was on like a Wednesday, and we were getting pissed. Asked them nicely to lower the music, but our request went unheeded. We kept knocking to try get them to open up and talk to us, but they wouldn't, and we decided to slip this (http://archivos.metatube.com/uploads/gallery/pics/gallery_pic_2865_31332.jpg) little picture under their door.

It didn't exactly go over too well, they got the RA involved, and somehow WE were the ones who wound up in trouble, but meh. The rest of the year resulted in a pretty interesting feud between our two rooms, the details of which are probably better left unsaid, but they were definitely the most entertaining, if not infuriating, neighbors I've ever had.

Just out of curiosity, which college did you go to? I'm currently at Suffolk and that sounds like stuff that happened to me.

Speaking of dorms, the guy who lived next to our quad last year got busted for dealing pot out of his room and having crazy ass parties in the middle of the night. Our RA was never there so he got away with it, but once when I was the only one in our room I got fed up with it (not to mention worrying about my safety since I was alone) and went down to the cops on the groundfloor in my pajamas and told them to clear those guys out. It was quite hilarious, and when they busted him later the campus cops took about 50 pounds of weed out of the place.

Spackling Compound
06-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm the oldest resident in a condominium development in a college town.

I am the buzzkiller. Probably the worst neighbor ever for these guys.

JadeCanary
06-29-2010, 08:47 PM
**Edit...**

Pseudicide
06-30-2010, 05:42 AM

Heh, most definitely a term for New Zealanders. Also an adorable flightless bird.

http://adventuresofabeautyqueen.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/kiwi-bird-2.jpg

DavidAllred
06-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Maybe not a huge one, but you can build yourself some planter boxes and grow some stuff. I just built one this past weekend that was 4' long, 1' wide, and 1' tall. Gonna transplant some tomato plants to it this week. Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to build a square shaped one for my cucumber plant. Aiming for 4'x4'x1'. I need to check to see if I have enough lumber laying around for that.

Speaking of neighbors Skib, looks like you and I probably are. I'm an East Tennessee 'feller' myself. :wink:

Free-Man
06-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Heh, most definitely a term for New Zealanders. Also an adorable flightless bird.

http://adventuresofabeautyqueen.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/kiwi-bird-2.jpg

Yay! Flight of the Conchords taught me well! XD