PDA

View Full Version : CBR: Maberry Referees "Marvel Universe Vs. the Punisher"

CBR News
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
A pathogen turns the world into a realm of insane, blood thirsty predators, its only hope being the last uninfected man alive: Frank Castle. Jonathan Maberry spoke with CBR about "Marvel Universe Versus the Punisher."

Full article here (http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26362).

rogerio
05-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Sold.

Goran Parlov is one of my favorite artists, ever.:smile:

Umbra
05-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to get this...it should be really good.

DannyWetts
05-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Man, oh man, Goran rules. The whole Punisher VS Barracuda was just beautifully rendered -- I love the sheer size of some of these guys Goran takes on. Barracuda's neck was usually thicker than his waist...

Honestly, this could be about Frank retiring and opening a White Castle and I'd still buy it for GP's artistry...

Jonathan Maberry
05-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Man, oh man, Goran rules. Honestly, this could be about Frank retiring and opening a White Castle and I'd still buy it for GP's artistry...

Damn...you figured out the plot already!

Rocketman919
05-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, anyone?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Punisher_KTMU_cover.jpg

15 years too late on that one. Plus that one was written by Garth Ennis, way better than this "Jonathan Maberry" fellow.

Trey
05-24-2010, 04:39 PM

15 years too late on that one. Plus that one was written by Garth Ennis, way better than this "Jonathan Maberry" fellow.

Listen, you punk ass noob. What makes you think its cool to come on these boards and start disrespecting creators? Did you even read the article? It addresses the Ennis story.

FearEmbodied
05-24-2010, 04:46 PM

You know, you should have done yourself a favor and read the article.

Vivica Kang
05-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Maberry is writing it! The same writer that is doing Doomwar! He really can shed some light on some characters! I wonder who are the main antogonists in this story (i know it's Marvel Universe...But still who is the certain characters going head-to-head). I will be picking this up!

Shadey10
05-24-2010, 05:02 PM

I bet you never read any of JM's stuff. Also read the article before making dumbass remarks.

Jonathan Maberry
05-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Hope you guys enjoy it.

Predator
05-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Listen, you punk ass noob. What makes you think its cool to come on these boards and start disrespecting creators? Did you even read the article? It addresses the Ennis story.

The guy has his right to an opinion just like we all do.

You can't help but comment on the similarities of the two books.

Jonathan Maberry
05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Nah, the only similarity is the title, and that was chosen by Marvel (as mentioned in the interview). There are no similarities in the story or art at all. As you'll see in August.

Night_Dragon
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow, sounds freaking cool. Definitively gonna buy.

Hmmm...didn't one of Kirkman's plans for MZ was supposedly like this? With the Punisher being the only non-infected on Earth and fighting against the MZ a la Im Legend?

Anyway...it's gonna be cool, really liked what Maberry did for MZR and Doomwar. Though, why i'm i thinking of it as "What if Marvel did Crossed?"

Jonathan Maberry
05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Wow, lots of 'it's a rip-off' theories. Why not read the story first and decide based on what's on the page?

TonyStark1012
05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS TO COME OUT! With this and Shadowland hopefully Punisher will be past Frakencastle and back on top where he belongs,

TonyStark1012
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow, lots of 'it's a rip-off' theories. Why not read the story first and decide based on what's on the page?

Exactly. I'm reading Doomwar and I can't wait for your take on Frank!

Jonathan Maberry
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
This is my second time in the ring with Frank. I did a Marvel Max one-shot, NAKED KILL. I love crawling into Frank Castle's head.

Kumar
05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I really disliked NAKED KILL, but I have to admit, this looks pretty good.

KS

DannyWetts
05-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Waaaaait a minute, Mr. Maberry -- mock me at your peril!! Punisher taking over White Castle isn't so crazy -- think about it: Frank Castle. White Castle. It could be a one-shot called...I dunno, 'Castle Rustler' or something.

And it would undoubtedly end with Frank servin' up some cheeseburgers made out of ground-goon, maybe a tip of the hat to Soylent Green.

PS Ooh, It could also be called 'MEAT the Bad Guys'. ...Gads, why am I not Marvel EIC again? Is it because I'm TOO clever??

Craig Collins
05-25-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm on board for this. I loved Parlov's work on Punisher Max, especially Barracuda.

I'm a sucker for the post-apocalyptic, but I only really dip in and out of the Marvel Universe, so this sort of miniseries is bang on for me.

Not read your work before Maberry, look forward to seeing what you do with this!

(PS - any chance you're annihilating Jubilee...? It's not too late to write it in!)

Whitster
05-25-2010, 01:43 AM

I'm quite happy to, and am indeed looking forward to it.:smile:

Jonathan Maberry
05-25-2010, 04:40 AM
Waaaaait a minute, Mr. Maberry -- mock me at your peril!! Punisher taking over White Castle isn't so crazy -- think about it: Frank Castle. White Castle. It could be a one-shot called...I dunno, 'Castle Rustler' or something.

And it would undoubtedly end with Frank servin' up some cheeseburgers made out of ground-goon, maybe a tip of the hat to Soylent Green.

PS Ooh, It could also be called 'MEAT the Bad Guys'. ...Gads, why am I not Marvel EIC again? Is it because I'm TOO clever??

'Meat the Bad Guys': The Punisher in the White Castle....I would SO love to write that. "You want fries with that...punk?"

RolandJP
05-25-2010, 05:07 AM

Welcome to Comic Book Message Boards. Ignore us and you will have along career. :biggrin:

Bevbos
05-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Well... sounds basically like just another zombies story. But it also sounds like it'll be well done, so I'll give it a shot.

TinyJoseph
05-25-2010, 07:44 AM

Punisher kicked Vamp ass in this:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/TinyJoseph/WhatIF24WolverineLordofVamps.jpg

FearEmbodied
05-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Hope you guys enjoy it.

Don't worry sir, I think it's a safe bet this particular fan will enjoy it. Keep on keepin' on.

Ozymandas
05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm not sure if the Dillon cover is a different work or a reprint, but I've always preferred this cover:

http://marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0808/PUNKMU001_COV.jpg

Regardless, including the What If? comic it's a story I've read at least twice. I'm sure Mayberry has an interesting spin on it and I'm a fan of Parlov's work as well, but it's an idea I don't need to see revisited for at least another 5 years. Current comic book prices being what they are, I'm going to have to direct my funds towards more original works.

paxton
05-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Might check it out

Shawn Hopkins
05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
No disrespect intended, but I also have to say I loathed Naked Kill. Worst Punisher comic I've read in years. That makes me kind of skeptical about this even though the concept sounds interesting.

It seems more like the Rage Virus from 28 Days Later than I Am Legend to me, too.

FearEmbodied
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
No disrespect intended, but I also have to say I loathed Naked Kill. Worst Punisher comic I've read in years. That makes me kind of skeptical about this even though the concept sounds interesting.

It seems more like the Rage Virus from 28 Days Later than I Am Legend to me, too.

The I Am Legend thing is because it seems like Frank's an analogue for Robert Neville in the story, not because of the monsters (which were intelligent in I Am Legend).

Last man on Earth in a world full of monsters, alone and going nuts. Sounds like I Am Legend to me.

Brandon McKinnis
05-28-2010, 04:03 PM

They are much different writers. Also Maberry is very good, his BP/Doomwar books have been terrific.

Frank-Castiglione-1974
07-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Naked kill was a great take on Frank. They only thing that let it down was how he gets out of the building...

Minus my fandom for Goran Parlov's artwork -im looking forward to this. The Punisher is starting to stray away from the dark foundations Garth built and left; and are starting to crumble with such crap as Frankencastle. Looking forward to this one.