PDA

View Full Version : KAHNRRS...The Lizard Appreciation (SPOILERS)

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
In honor of the Lizard's recent re-emergence in ASM #630 and the beginning of "SHED", this thread is for him. I've always felt the Lizard was an under-written villain, and very few writers have done much with him. I'm really enjoying SHED and look forward to where Zeb Wells and Bachalo take the character.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/anotherstateofmind77/comic%20stuff/Lizard.jpg

TomServo
05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I've never really been a big fan of the Lizard, but I'm really loving this arc and Wells and Bachalo's interpretation!

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I am too. This is one of my favorite covers.
http://comicmegastore.com/images/the-amazing-spider-man/the-amazing-spider-man-44.jpg

NJSheed
05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I was never a huge fan, but I did miss him. Shed looks to be interesting.

stillanerd
05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Regardless about my misgivings for where the Lizard's characterization is being taken, I will say that Chris Bachalo's artistic portrayal of the Lizard is incredible, especially that splash page from issue #630. He really makes the Lizard actually look like a monstrous half-man, half-reptile more so than many other depictions I've seen. And do like the interior dialogue between Dr. Connors and the Lizard as well to show how they are really two separate personalities.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-13-2010, 02:23 PM
He was one of those villains that stuck out visually when you were a kid. I thought he looked awesome. I remember loving Torment when it came out.

NJSheed
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Torment was the only time I can remember myself truly enjoying that chaotic kind of art style. In addition to the first issue being my favorite cover (for any book), the story stuck out as the first time that you truly got the sense that Spidey could be in any legitimate real danger, rather than being copped out by an absurd plot device in the last page of an issue.

CyberHubbs
05-13-2010, 02:32 PM
I like that the Lizard still has on Curt's tie. That'll be the one element of his humanity that brings Connors back out of the darkness.

"That's my favorite tie, Lizard. Give it back to me!"

remoteman
05-13-2010, 02:44 PM
That is some awesome art in the OP. Bachalo is hit and miss for me but when he hits...he hits!

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Lizard's 1st appearance.
http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/Large/AmazingSpider-Man006.jpg

arp2008
05-13-2010, 11:29 PM
When was the Lizards most recent appearence before the present ASM arc?

Mr. NickerNacker
05-13-2010, 11:50 PM
The Lizard's last major story in a Spidey title was "Feral" from Sensational Spider-man #23-27 from 2006. There was also a short story from Spider-Man Family #2 from 2007. He has appeared in other comics with small appearances such as White Tiger, Wolverine Savage one-shot, and other non-continuity Spidey titles.

arp2008
05-14-2010, 12:05 AM
The Lizard's last major story in a Spidey title was "Feral" from Sensational Spider-man #23-27 from 2006. There was also a short story from Spider-Man Family #2 from 2007. He has appeared in other comics with small appearances such as White Tiger, Wolverine Savage one-shot, and other non-continuity Spidey titles.Thanks. Was it very good?

Mr. NickerNacker
05-14-2010, 12:19 AM
In my opinion, no. The story is a disgrace if you are a fan of the Lizard. I also wasn't too fond of the art except for a few pages from Angel Medina's issues. Kind of felt the same way on Clayton Crain's fill-in issue also.

Barcus
05-14-2010, 12:27 AM
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again: the Connor text boxes being ripped apart along with the beautiful art was amazing. It's definitely in my top ASM moments of all time.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-14-2010, 12:38 AM
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again: the Connor text boxes being ripped apart along with the beautiful art was amazing. It's definitely in my top ASM moments of all time.

I loved it as well. It was so sad, with Kurt just begging the Lizard to stop.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Anyone get the statue sculpted by Randy Bowen? Ideally, I would love to own all of the Spidey related statues by Bowen but I think I'll settle for the busts.
http://www.everythingcomics.ca/toys/JUL074546.jpg

whiteshark
05-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Probably one of the best villains by Stan Lee.

The scientist clothes that Lizard have is a stroke of genius since it is a sign of the humanity that Lizard have.
Then there is the dual personalities that Lizard and Doctor Connors have which resembles the themes of the story of dr jekyll and mr hyde.
Plus from all the animal themed villains Spider-Man have (Doctor Octopus,Vulture,Rhino) Lizard is the literal animal themed villain Spider-Man have and ironically is the one that Spider-Man have to be careful fighting with because the Lizard is Doctor Connors transformed after all.

The cold personality and motivations that Lizard have from a reptile P.O.V. are interesting as well and estabilish more the diferences between Doctor Connors and Lizard.

whiteshark
05-14-2010, 05:05 AM
In honor of the Lizard's recent re-emergence in ASM #630 and the beginning of "SHED", this thread is for him. I've always felt the Lizard was an under-written villain, and very few writers have done much with him. I'm really enjoying SHED and look forward to where Zeb Wells and Bachalo take the character.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm134/anotherstateofmind77/comic%20stuff/Lizard.jpg

Chris Bachalo just made a great new design for the Lizard.

Lizard looked never so much pre-historical and really a reptile villain as there.

Karl Cook
05-14-2010, 05:10 AM

Lizard looked never so much pre-historical and really a reptile villain as there.

Haven't read the story but I must admit that the art looks good.
That's one scary-looking Lizard.

whiteshark
05-14-2010, 05:12 AM
Tod McFarlane knows how to illustrated the Lizard in a great way as well.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/6060/169261-2127-113269-1-amazing-spider-man_super.jpg

whiteshark
05-14-2010, 05:14 AM

Indeed.
I have not gotten my copies of ASM#630 or 631 so far,but just from the covers and images posted here it looks like Chris Bachalo did a great work in the art duties of that story arc.
Will you be geting this story arc,man?

Karl Cook
05-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Will you be geting this story arc,man?

Nope. I may get it out the library when it comes out in trades though.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Yeah! Bachalo draws a damn good Lizard. Absolutely terrifying.

Tod McFarlane knows how to illustrated the Lizard in a great way as well.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/6060/169261-2127-113269-1-amazing-spider-man_super.jpg

Probably my favorite Lizard artist besides Bachalo now. I always loved that cover.

Lethal Lizard
05-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Well, let's not forget this particular dinosaurian version of the Lizard from the MTV Spider-Man animated series...

http://i42.tinypic.com/11tygle.jpg

...or maybe we should forget it.

zur en arrh
05-14-2010, 10:26 AM
The current look is the most menacing the character has ever been, in my opinion.

SHED is fantastic so far.

coconutphone
05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Anyone get the statue sculpted by Randy Bowen? Ideally, I would love to own all of the Spidey related statues by Bowen but I think I'll settle for the busts.
http://www.everythingcomics.ca/toys/JUL074546.jpg

It is a pretty one. I just have the Mysterio one (and the Sideshow Iron Spider-Man).

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
It is a pretty one. I just have the Mysterio one (and the Sideshow Iron Spider-Man).

Nice. I don't have any yet :frown:

But I really want the Green Goblin and Spider-man statues by Bowen and busts of all his other enemies.

coconutphone
05-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice. I don't have any yet :frown:

But I really want the Green Goblin and Spider-man statues by Bowen and busts of all his other enemies.

There's 2 full-sized Green Goblins (but no Hobgolin. WTF Randy?! LOL) and many many different Spider-Man ones. There's also a MJ, Lizard, Mysterio, Kraven, Electro, a few Venoms, Carnage, Scarlet Spider-Man (Ben) and Sandman is in the works I believe.

I've got a Vision on its way to me. The Phasing Variant one signed by Randy Bowen at that. :)

http://pmimages.worthpoint.com/thumbnails2/1/0607/29/1_8bb23b2713816f452a040224ba9e68cb.jpg

Karl Cook
05-14-2010, 10:47 AM
There's 2 full-sized Green Goblins (but no Hobgolin. WTF Randy?! LOL) and many many different Spider-Man ones. There's also a MJ, Lizard, Mysterio, Kraven, Electro, a few Venoms, Carnage, Scarlet Spider-Man (Ben) and Sandman is in the works I believe.

I've got a Vision on its way to me. The Phasing Variant one signed by Randy Bowen at that. :)

http://pmimages.worthpoint.com/thumbnails2/1/0607/29/1_8bb23b2713816f452a040224ba9e68cb.jpg

Y'know, I'm not a fan of The Vision but even I think that looks smart.:cool:

Lethal Lizard
05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
One of my favorite artistic depictions of the classic Lizard by Mark Bagley from ASM # 365 (art pic courtesy of spidermancollector.com )

http://i39.tinypic.com/332w8if.jpg

FiddleFaddle
05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I love the Lizard!!

Mr. NickerNacker
05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
One of my favorite artistic depictions of the classic Lizard by Mark Bagley from ASM # 365 (art pic courtesy of spidermancollector.com )

aww, I was wondering who the lucky bastard is who owns that page.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Yep, that looks cool. Bagley really dropped the ball with Ultimate Lizard though.

daveageallen
05-14-2010, 06:20 PM
somone in another thread said doc conners really has always been in control of the lizard and raped a girl while being the lizard in his lab in one comic? is any of this true

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
somone in another thread said doc conners really has always been in control of the lizard and raped a girl while being the lizard in his lab in one comic? is any of this true

1) That was a stupid story by Jenkins.

2) Lizard did not rape anyone.

stillanerd
05-14-2010, 06:40 PM

With regards to the Doc Connors always being in control of the Lizard, that was a story Paul Jenkis did in the Spectacular Spider-Man comic a few years back, although this hasn't been referenced at all in the current story going on in Amazing right now.

As for the "Lizard rape," that was mis-interpretation and inference a of scene in issue #631 that some folks--specifically me--believed was implied by Carlie via her dialogue with Spidey based on the previous issue and the Lizard story in Web of Spider-Man #6 stating that the Lizard viewed his female lab assistant as a potential mate. Steve Wacker corrected this saying that no "Lizard rape" occurred. Hope that clears the confusion.

Mr. NickerNacker
05-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Yep, that looks cool. Bagley really dropped the ball with Ultimate Lizard though.

Bagley actually didn't design Ultimate Lizard. That would have been John Totleben who drew Ultimate Marvel Team-up #10.

However, I think this unused image of Ultimate Lizard by Bagley is fantastic.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af59/NickerNacker1/Upcoming%20Stories/UltimateSpider-Man10030.jpg

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-14-2010, 09:49 PM
They should bring him back in the Ultimate books.

Raptor
05-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Lizard is one of my favorite villains. he is my favorite Spider-Man villain.

This new story is phenomenal so far.

whiteshark
05-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Well, let's not forget this particular dinosaurian version of the Lizard from the MTV Spider-Man animated series...

http://i42.tinypic.com/11tygle.jpg

...or maybe we should forget it.

That`s really not a great design for the Lizard at all.

FirestormTheNuclearMan
05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
First discovered him in Spider Man 90s tas.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Same. I remember having a toy of him when I was a kid.

daveageallen
05-15-2010, 10:57 AM

me too. how i discovered all spiderman related stuff

arp2008

Ditto. His introductory episode is one my favorites of that series. As a matter of fact, it's that series more so than anything that shaped and honed my love for the Spider-Man franshise. I miss it so much. There hasn't been a show like it since.

me too. how i discovered all spiderman related stuff

Same here.

daveageallen
That`s really not a great design for the Lizard at all.

gross. tell me what lizard did he use? never seen one that kinda looked like a green werewolf with fins

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Ditto. His introductory episode is one my favorites of that series. As a matter of fact, it's that series more so than anything that shaped and honed my love for the Spider-Man franshise. I miss it so much. There hasn't been a show like it since.

I thought Spectacular was better.

arp2008
05-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I thought Spectacular was better.

Spectacular was an awesome show, but much too puerile for me. It was a lot more oriented to younger viewers than the 90's series was.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Spectacular was an awesome show, but much too puerile for me. It was a lot more oriented to younger viewers than the 90's series was.

The thing is, I used to think TAS was pretty awesome too but then I realized that Spider-man could never punch anyone.

arp2008
05-15-2010, 11:11 AM
The thing is, I used to think TAS was pretty awesome too but then I realized that Spider-man could never punch anyone.

Me, too. They never showed any direct fistcuffs, only the aftermath. Like if he punched someone the hit would be off screen, but in the next shot a body would be seen thrown back. It was so ridiculous. The series started to lose itself towards the end downright became terrible at time, but early episodes featuring the Lizard and Hydro were ones to remember.

Gabe De Los Muertos
05-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Me, too. They never showed any direct fistcuffs, only the aftermath. Like if he punched someone the hit would be off screen, but in the next shot a body would be seen thrown back. It was so ridiculous. The series started to lose itself towards the end downright became terrible at time, but early episodes featuring the Lizard and Hydro were ones to remember.

Yeah. Wasn't MJ stuck in another dimension or something? Sometimes that show was just weird.

remoteman
05-15-2010, 11:26 AM

It's horrible nit picking I know, but in the episode 'Day of the Chameleon' Spider-Man punches the Chameleons belt at the end of the episode. Awesome moment and a great episode :smile:

whiteshark
05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
gross. tell me what lizard did he use? never seen one that kinda looked like a green werewolf with fins

Dunno.

That`s just a really bad design for a character that have almost no resembles to the Lizard of the comics.