PDA

View Full Version : CBR: When Words Collide - May 3, 2010

CBR News
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
In this week's WHEN WORDS COLLIDE, Tim considers an overlooked Robert Kirkman comic from last year and contemplates the nature of the late-career superhero as he rereads the Marvel MAX miniseries "Destroyer."

Full article here (http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26059).

skinshark
05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Don't you mean "...a comic that deserves to be recognized." ?

Semantics aside I whole-heartedly agree with your assessment. Destroyer was written by a learned hand and the whole package from covers to interiors represented a very satisfying commentary about aging and heroes.

I wished it never ended.

=s=

that_Jake_kid
05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I thought that Kirkman did an awesome job with Destroyer. I'm pretty bummed the character isn't used in Marvel's 616 universe. Hopefully one of the bigwigs at Marvel puts a revamped Destroyer in a team book.

mikefavata
05-03-2010, 03:26 PM
BRING DESTROYER TO THE 616.

If I was in charge i'd bring the Invaders back with a lineup something along the lines of...

Human Torch (Jim Hammond)
Destroyer
Blazing Skull
Namor
US Agent

and maybe some MI-13 members.

Comics Ninja
05-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Same here on the Destroyer. I'm pretty fond of most of Kirkman's work. I was pretty bummed when it went away.

Comics Ninja
www.comicsninja.com

tridon
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
It's Cory Walker, not Cody Walker. Saw this mistake within the article.

I still haven't read this mini but considering I LOVE Invincible, this is definitely still on my must-read list. Looks awesome.

Tanjint
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I loved this book; got my number 1 signed by Kirkman at last year's San Diego. I guess I should buy the collection.

Kudos to the columnist for this one; I notice Callahan writes about a lot of books I dig alot. Cool column indeed.

-T

davidtobin100
05-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Great article Tim. Been a big fan of Destroyer (and Kirkman and Walker) for some time and it's great to see it get light shone on it.

D-ski
05-04-2010, 04:42 AM
I recently re-read this mini, and was pleased that it still held an enjoyable level of interest for me. This was my favorite series of 2009, and I would love to see an ongoing Destroyer book at the very least drawn by Corey Walker. His art really made the book for me and supplemented Kirkman's writing nicely.

pmpknface
05-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I totally dug this mini! The review was very dead on too. Lots of punching monsters, blood & guts - but then the humanity of Keene too. I'd like to see a Destroyer in the MU too, but here's where we've last seen him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroyer_(Timely_Comics)

Modern-day
In the Destroyer's retcon appearances in 1970s, the same origin is recounted except for his identity. Now he is Brian Falsworth, brother of Spitfire (a member of the World War II superhero group The Invaders) and son of James Montgomery Falsworth, Lord Falsworth, who had been the World War I hero Union Jack. In this storyline, "Keen Marlow" was implied (but not expressly stated) to be a fictitious name; when Captain America asked if the Destroyer is or is not "an American named Keen Marlow," Falsworth simply declined to respond.

Brian Falsworth gave up the Destroyer identity in order to become the new Union Jack, while his friend Roger Aubrey (initially introduced as Dyna-Mite and member of Crusaders[5]) became the new Destroyer. Falsworth's story is being retold in Ed Brubaker's 2009-2010 miniseries The Marvels Project. This retelling makes it explicit that "Keen Marlow" is a pseudonym for Falsworth.

The Aubrey Destroyer has made present-day guest appearances in such titles as Thunderbolts and Citizen V & the V-Battalion, where he was the leader of the titular V-Battalion before eventually stepping down in favour of the original Human Torch taking the position as leader. After the Torch's death, Aubrey reassumed command of the V-Battalion.

Editions of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe[citation needed] have since clarified that all three versions of the Destroyer — Marlow, Falsworth, and Aubrey — were active during World War II, with Marlow allowing Falsworth and then Aubrey to simultaneously use the Destroyer identity so as to tactically confuse the Axis. Marlow's post-1940s fate remains a mystery.

Versions of the Destroyer, both in continuity and out, have appeared in various Marvel comics. The Age of the Sentry #5 (March 2009) depicts the character as a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. The character also made a guest appearance in a 2000s issue of New Invaders.