PDA

View Full Version : Superman Done Right

steph_86
04-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi,

I am an avid Superman Reader and I believe that today Superman no longer exists as a character, but only as a symbol. I think, it is necessary to re-discover him as a human but first of all, as a Kryptonian. Part of the problem, is because there is too much focus of his powers as part of his identity. Superman, should be primarily about saving.
His tragic moral flaw is this: he wants to save the world, save humanity and prevent it from repeating the tragedy of Krypton, which was blown to pieces in the tragedy of natural disasters. Superman should be an evolving character, one who is proactive and able to handle situations as they come. Too often, he charges into battle head-on without preparation. This should not happen since he has super-intellect. Most importantly, he should evolve into an understanding of his greatest weakness: Kryptonite.

Superman feels responsible for the fate of humanity and I think that, in his place, I would seek to be at the optimum level of my abilities. He knows, that in the wrong hands, Kryptonite can cause great damage. As such, I think one of Superman's additional motivations should be to uncover the cure to his weaknesses and master and improve on his own intellect. To this end, he should have a truly genius-like intellect, higher than that of Batman and on par with the likes of Dr Doom or Reed Richards. However, he shouldn't be a scientist per se, but more of an engineer, one who understands science and concerns himself more with its real world application: curing disease, eradication poverty.

Compassion is VERY important and almost central to the character and I feel that his moral considerations should partly be built around that characteristic. Instead of fighting crime and superheroes, he should be a moral force, that stops natural disasters, militates for world peace and helps solve global hunger.

Ultimately, Superman should not be seen as a cosmic being, in the likes of Thor (who should be able to beat on him quite easily, as well as Silver Surfer, and to some extent Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, the Flash and Martian Manhunter) but more as a Force of Nature, whose power can augment as needed and is dynamic.
At his all-out levels, he should be able to trounce Wonder Woman due to his superior strength, overwhelming durability and fantastic energy projection.

To this end, Superman needs to be given additional powers. He should be more dynamic as a character. Kryptonians were an advanced alien race, that mastered their own hostile elements and attempted to create a Utopia. Superman should be concerned with the understanding of natural forces and of their mastery. In fact, he should be given control over matter, perfect control over his physiology as well as the ability to expand force fields to protect people. Finally, his heat vision should be far more potent, like the heat of the sun's core and he should be able to radiate his energy through his body, like a sort of atomic bomb; like Thor's God Blast.

As far as the movie is concerned, I believe more emphasis should be put on Superman's home planet. I read a bit about Krypton from forum to forum and I am convinced that Superman's heritage has a lot of potential. There is so much to explore whether in designing Superman's extinct race as a technocratic culture, as a religious civilization, as a race of barbarians that used its superior science and knowledge to conquer other planets or perhaps all of these elements put together.

I believe the public deserves a Superman who is grand, big, epic and most of all CAPABLE. Too often, Superman is limited by his powers and not enough emphasis is placed on his high-level intellect. After all, he is the son of a Kryptonian scientist, Jor El, who predicted the planet's own doom.

I think that his power level should be comparable to the one in Superman Returns. Brandon Routh should be given another chance as the Man of the Steel, in an effort to maintain and carry on the new franchise.

Superman's secret identity could be easily explained by his bio-electric aura or even his psychic aura that somehow influences people's perception of him when he dons his costume. The true Superman, the true Clark, is the one of Smallville, the same one who goes to the Fortress of Solitude to device weapons or to find solutions to global or metahuman problems.

The Metropolis Superman is the one who is concerned with the pursuit of Truth, Justice and the American Way. He chooses to be a journalist in order to influence popular opinion, shed light on crime (eg: Lex Luthor) and raise important social issues such as poverty or nuclear proliferation. Clark Kent, is thus, a full blown person who simply incarnates Superman's desire for Justice as he uses human means to achieve his ends. To this effect, he should use his superpowers at a minimum. Realistically, there should be some mobility in Clark's life.

Nevertheless, I still see Kal-el as Clark's matured persona who is fully in control and in understanding of his destiny. Kal-el represents Superman's aspirations for a better world and his yearnings for Krypton. Kal-el, is Superman without the cape, and Clark Kent without the pen. He is Lois' fiance or husband, the man she fell in love with when he saved her from a helicopter accident.

Kal-el yearns for Justice, for Truth, for Knowledge and for acceptance and greater assimilation into the human race. I found an interesting element (on Starnetdatabase.com, a site now closed) of Superman's physiology that can be exploited. If Superman is to be seen as different from his early years, his Kryptonian skin should be much tougher and denser compared to his human counterparts. This is due to Krypton's much greater gravitational pull and stronger magnetic field, which endows the race with greater endurance, strength and agility than humans. In addition, since he was rocketed from Krypton, he should have dreams, peaceful and intriguing in nature, concerning his biological parents and his home planet, which would be a cause for conflict.

Jonathan and Martha Kent should be aware of Superman's origins, nevertheless they should reveal them to him, gradually, as he matures and understands himself and powers better.

Thus, the gracefulness and beauty of Superman is that although he is different, he is more human than most of us. As said earlier, his COMPASSION is his greatest strength and his COURAGE his greatest moral weakness (since he can feel invulnerable), and his desire to SAVE should be his true tragic flaw (as seen in For Tomorrow).

As far as potential villains, I highly favor the eradicator for both his potential as a memory and guardian of Kryptonian culture and his potential as a humanoid. Imagine, a machine-made-man from an alien culture that attempts to learn human ways and in the process ends up wrecking havoc or threatening his protectee and pupil, to create a new Krypton, or rather, to stall humanity's development in order not to let civilization destroy itself. I think the eradicator has a lot of potential.

Also, I like Metallo both for his loose connection to Lex Luthor, thus playing a minor role, and the tragic reality that he is a bionical-man, a man who was made a promise to which was realized in a twisted manner; thus showing Luthor's cunning and cruelty.

And of course, I am of the opinion that Brainiac could be a good villain for the second installment, in combination with Doomsday who actually KILLS Superman.

In the third or fourth installment, I think Darkseid should enter the scene through a Bizarro plague that brings darkness to the whole world. The purpose of the darkness? To find the one light that contains the Anti-life equation. It turns out being Superman himself, or maybe even his pal, Jimmy Olsen. Mostly Superman because he is an alien that has formed a connection with a human and has attempted to turn back history by saving Lois' life after she died (thus incorporating elements from Donner's movies).

Darkseid in the movie and in the comics, should be a true GOD, untouchable, invulnerable, as strong as Superman and even more if needed, technologically advanced, a master strategist, cunning, with matter manipulation and psychic powers. His Omega beams, should eradicate its target, except the one that possesses the Anti-Life equation.

The purpose of Darkseid: to enslave the WILLS of millions of sentient life, not through his godly powers (through which he could achieve this) but through the GODLY equation that allows him to become GOD and be worshipped as such.

The third or fourth movie in which Darkseid comes, should be intergalactic, involving some races of the DC Universe. In this movie, Superman should achieve godhood by entering and surviving the Source wall. Nevertheless, the movie ends with all life in the universe being eradicated after Darkseid has bested Superman and himself gone to his death due to his being GOD.
Superman is left standing on Earth, deserted, and he realizes his tragic flaw: In his desire to SAVE, he tried to be someone, something he is not: A GOD.

Finally, there is a supernatural intervention, Superman is given a second chance at life in another dimension (good paraller with the infinite earths) but he has to be a baby. In the end, he ends up being the baby that was given to Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher at the end of the Adventures of Lois and Clark series.

I think that about wraps up all of my thoughts.

You are free to comment on them and give me your input.

Munkiman
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi,

I am an avid Superman Reader and I believe that today Superman no longer exists as a character, but only as a symbol. I think, it is necessary to re-discover him as a human but first of all, as a Kryptonian. Part of the problem, is because there is too much focus of his powers as part of his identity. Superman, should be primarily about saving.
His tragic moral flaw is this: he wants to save the world, save humanity and prevent it from repeating the tragedy of Krypton, which was blown to pieces in the tragedy of natural disasters. Superman should be an evolving character, one who is proactive and able to handle situations as they come. Too often, he charges into battle head-on without preparation. This should not happen since he has super-intellect. Most importantly, he should evolve into an understanding of his greatest weakness: Kryptonite.

Superman feels responsible for the fate of humanity and I think that, in his place, I would seek to be at the optimum level of my abilities. He knows, that in the wrong hands, Kryptonite can cause great damage. As such, I think one of Superman's additional motivations should be to uncover the cure to his weaknesses and master and improve on his own intellect. To this end, he should have a truly genius-like intellect, higher than that of Batman and on par with the likes of Dr Doom or Reed Richards. However, he shouldn't be a scientist per se, but more of an engineer, one who understands science and concerns himself more with its real world application: curing disease, eradication poverty.

OK, this reminded me of something from Action Comics Annual #10, where did I leave that...

Found it. In the Fortress of Solitude map, they point out Superman's "Super-Science Lab." The description says: "Within these walls Superman performs secret and mysterious experiments in an attempt to cure Mon-El's lead poisoning, enlarge the city of Kandor, and negate his own vulnerability to Kryptonite."

So he's already the scientist working on this stuff, there's just not really much focus on it, and that's just because of the preference of the writers, I suppose. If you want to change the direction to put more focus on the Super-Science Lab, I think you'd probably have to become a comics writer.

Compassion is VERY important and almost central to the character and I feel that his moral considerations should partly be built around that characteristic. Instead of fighting crime and superheroes, he should be a moral force, that stops natural disasters, militates for world peace and helps solve global hunger.
He doesn't stop natural disasters? I'm sure saving villages from volcanoes is practically a Superman cliche plot at this point.

I think it wouldn't be at all out of character for our current Superman to be helping starving people in third-world countries, stopping megalomaniacal dictators (who really aren't any different from Lex Luthor, so the "I can't interfere in human affairs" thing doesn't hold water at all when you're dealing with straight-up evil humans), etc. Once again, it's just a matter of what parts of Superman's life writers choose to focus on.

Ultimately, Superman should not be seen as a cosmic being, in the likes of Thor (who should be able to beat on him quite easily, as well as Silver Surfer, and to some extent Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, the Flash and Martian Manhunter) but more as a Force of Nature, whose power can augment as needed and is dynamic.
At his all-out levels, he should be able to trounce Wonder Woman due to his superior strength, overwhelming durability and fantastic energy projection.

To this end, Superman needs to be given additional powers. He should be more dynamic as a character. Kryptonians were an advanced alien race, that mastered their own hostile elements and attempted to create a Utopia. Superman should be concerned with the understanding of natural forces and of their mastery. In fact, he should be given control over matter, perfect control over his physiology as well as the ability to expand force fields to protect people. Finally, his heat vision should be far more potent, like the heat of the sun's core and he should be able to radiate his energy through his body, like a sort of atomic bomb; like Thor's God Blast.

OK, controlling matter is going overboard. We know what powers he has, he has enough of them, he's strong enough already. Superman is what he is. Nobody's going to go for adding more powers, because it's already almost ridiculous and plenty godlike already. Superman doesn't need atomic eyebeams, he can destroy the Earth by punching it a lot.

As far as the movie is concerned, I believe more emphasis should be put on Superman's home planet. I read a bit about Krypton from forum to forum and I am convinced that Superman's heritage has a lot of potential. There is so much to explore whether in designing Superman's extinct race as a technocratic culture, as a religious civilization, as a race of barbarians that used its superior science and knowledge to conquer other planets or perhaps all of these elements put together.

But where do we go from there? No matter what Superman's home planet was like, it always ends up the same: destroyed. Making Kryptonians conquering barbarians would give Supes more to angst about, I guess, but there's nothing for him to do about it, because Krypton is in the past.

Also, if they conquered other planets, why would all but one or two of their species (ignoring Kandor) have been destroyed by the explosion of one planet? Surely some would have stayed on those other planets. Myself, I prefer a Krypton that was technologically advanced but largely uninterested in space travel, just as we humans don't have much interest in building a ship to travel into the Earth's core.

I believe the public deserves a Superman who is grand, big, epic and most of all CAPABLE. Too often, Superman is limited by his powers and not enough emphasis is placed on his high-level intellect. After all, he is the son of a Kryptonian scientist, Jor El, who predicted the planet's own doom.

Depends on the story and the writer. All-Star Superman, for instance, puts a certain degree of emphasis on Superman's intellect and ingenuity as being one of his important superpowers.

I think that his power level should be comparable to the one in Superman Returns. Brandon Routh should be given another chance as the Man of the Steel, in an effort to maintain and carry on the new franchise.

Didn't see Superman Returns, but I really didn't like how Routh looked as Superman. He looked too young, and not big enough. Hugh Jackman went through insane workouts to have enormous muscles to play Wolverine - why can't someone do that for Superman?

Superman's secret identity could be easily explained by his bio-electric aura or even his psychic aura that somehow influences people's perception of him when he dons his costume. The true Superman, the true Clark, is the one of Smallville, the same one who goes to the Fortress of Solitude to device weapons or to find solutions to global or metahuman problems.

Do we really need to come up with yet another explanation for how the glasses work? The point is, they work. I don't care if even Superman doesn't understand why people buy him as Clark Kent, the point is that they do. Let's not dwell on it.

The Metropolis Superman is the one who is concerned with the pursuit of Truth, Justice and the American Way. He chooses to be a journalist in order to influence popular opinion, shed light on crime (eg: Lex Luthor) and raise important social issues such as poverty or nuclear proliferation. Clark Kent, is thus, a full blown person who simply incarnates Superman's desire for Justice as he uses human means to achieve his ends. To this effect, he should use his superpowers at a minimum. Realistically, there should be some mobility in Clark's life.

Nevertheless, I still see Kal-el as Clark's matured persona who is fully in control and in understanding of his destiny. Kal-el represents Superman's aspirations for a better world and his yearnings for Krypton. Kal-el, is Superman without the cape, and Clark Kent without the pen. He is Lois' fiance or husband, the man she fell in love with when he saved her from a helicopter accident.

I don't see the need to give his different "personas" names. They just don't fit. Kal-El was his birth name, Clark Kent the name he grew up with, Superman the name he chose for himself (or in some versions, that was chosen for him and he went along with it). They all describe the same man, a man raised by farmers in Smallville, Kansas, to have very strong moral values; who gained superpowers during puberty and decided to use them in a way that fit with those moral values of honesty and selflessness; and who became a journalist because that was what he wanted to do with his life when he wasn't superheroing. He keeps himself humble and meek in his Clark Kent identity so that he can have normal human interactions without people being all intimidated by his power or somesuch, because he loves people.

Munkiman
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Kal-el yearns for Justice, for Truth, for Knowledge and for acceptance and greater assimilation into the human race. I found an interesting element (on Starnetdatabase.com, a site now closed) of Superman's physiology that can be exploited. If Superman is to be seen as different from his early years, his Kryptonian skin should be much tougher and denser compared to his human counterparts. This is due to Krypton's much greater gravitational pull and stronger magnetic field, which endows the race with greater endurance, strength and agility than humans. In addition, since he was rocketed from Krypton, he should have dreams, peaceful and intriguing in nature, concerning his biological parents and his home planet, which would be a cause for conflict.

What sort of conflict? "Who are my real parents" sort of conflict? I guess, but that seems overdone and doesn't go anywhere. Superman still ends up loving Ma and Pa Kent, and at the same time knowing the love his birth parents had for him and mourning their loss. He can balance it. He's Superman. He's got enough love for everybody.

Jonathan and Martha Kent should be aware of Superman's origins, nevertheless they should reveal them to him, gradually, as he matures and understands himself and powers better.

I don't see how that's much of a change from the norm.

Thus, the gracefulness and beauty of Superman is that although he is different, he is more human than most of us. As said earlier, his COMPASSION is his greatest strength and his COURAGE his greatest moral weakness (since he can feel invulnerable), and his desire to SAVE should be his true tragic flaw (as seen in For Tomorrow).

Again, I think this is not news. It is pretty much universally accepted that Superman is compassionate, courageous and saves people a lot, and feels guilty when he doesn't save them.

As far as potential villains, I highly favor the eradicator for both his potential as a memory and guardian of Kryptonian culture and his potential as a humanoid. Imagine, a machine-made-man from an alien culture that attempts to learn human ways and in the process ends up wrecking havoc or threatening his protectee and pupil, to create a new Krypton, or rather, to stall humanity's development in order not to let civilization destroy itself. I think the eradicator has a lot of potential.

Not really familiar with the Eradicator myself, but he sounds cool.

Also, I like Metallo both for his loose connection to Lex Luthor, thus playing a minor role, and the tragic reality that he is a bionical-man, a man who was made a promise to which was realized in a twisted manner; thus showing Luthor's cunning and cruelty.

Is that how the comics did it, too? I remember that from S:TAS, very specifically. And really, Metallo's kind of a thug. I like the idea that he wants revenge on Luthor for making him this way and revenge on Superman for getting in his way, but note that he wants violent revenge, he never thinks to do anything positive with his abilities. He's the Man With the Kryptonite Heart, with no human heart. The way I see it, he's the villain Superman fears most, because he's kryptonite on two legs, plus some super strength thrown in to boot. He's the villain who could kill the Man of Steel most easily, and that's scary as Hell.

And of course, I am of the opinion that Brainiac could be a good villain for the second installment, in combination with Doomsday who actually KILLS Superman.

Do we need Doomsday in the movies? We had Superman: Doomsday, and really you can only retell The Death and Return of Superman so many times before it gets boring. Hell, the first time they retold it (aforementioned Superman: Doomsday) wasn't even that good.

In the third or fourth installment, I think Darkseid should enter the scene through a Bizarro plague that brings darkness to the whole world. The purpose of the darkness? To find the one light that contains the Anti-life equation. It turns out being Superman himself, or maybe even his pal, Jimmy Olsen. Mostly Superman because he is an alien that has formed a connection with a human and has attempted to turn back history by saving Lois' life after she died (thus incorporating elements from Donner's movies).

Darkseid in the movie and in the comics, should be a true GOD, untouchable, invulnerable, as strong as Superman and even more if needed, technologically advanced, a master strategist, cunning, with matter manipulation and psychic powers. His Omega beams, should eradicate its target, except the one that possesses the Anti-Life equation.

The purpose of Darkseid: to enslave the WILLS of millions of sentient life, not through his godly powers (through which he could achieve this) but through the GODLY equation that allows him to become GOD and be worshipped as such.

Having Darkseid in the movies is cool, but I think linking him to Bizarro is a mistake. Bizarro is far too... comical to associate with Darkseid. Darkseid has his own legions. Bizarro has a lot of potential as a movie villain on his own, I've always said.

Anti-Life Equation in Superman is a very cool idea, and gives Darkseid a reason to go after Supes, but then again, Darkseid's very existence is in opposition to Superman, there doesn't need to be an extra reason. But that does raise the stakes: if Superman wavers even once in his battle with a foe of godlike power, the entire universe falls to Darkseid's control. Good idea.

The third or fourth movie in which Darkseid comes, should be intergalactic, involving some races of the DC Universe. In this movie, Superman should achieve godhood by entering and surviving the Source wall. Nevertheless, the movie ends with all life in the universe being eradicated after Darkseid has bested Superman and himself gone to his death due to his being GOD.
Superman is left standing on Earth, deserted, and he realizes his tragic flaw: In his desire to SAVE, he tried to be someone, something he is not: A GOD.

I don't get this. Superman takes on some sort of divine power from the Source (which I think is probably unnecessary, he's been shown to fight Darkseid with his own power)... and somehow that makes Superman guilty and the Earth deserted? Did I miss something?

Finally, there is a supernatural intervention, Superman is given a second chance at life in another dimension (good paraller with the infinite earths) but he has to be a baby. In the end, he ends up being the baby that was given to Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher at the end of the Adventures of Lois and Clark series.

OK that's kinda weird. I don't see how Superman failed at his first chance at life? Or why this whole "baby in another dimension" thing is necessary to Superman's story at all?

Daybreak_st
04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
A lot of what you describe regarding his intelligence, workshop, and new powers was handled in All-Star Superman. If you haven't already you should give it a read.

dumbstruck
04-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi,

I think that about wraps up all of my thoughts.

You are free to comment on them and give me your input.

This really just sounds like you want to turn Superman into something he's not.

Mat001
04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Didn't see Superman Returns, but I really didn't like how Routh looked as Superman. He looked too young, and not big enough. Hugh Jackman went through insane workouts to have enormous muscles to play Wolverine - why can't someone do that for Superman?

Routh did bulk up for "Superman Returns". He's just has a different build from Reeve and Cain.

CaptainLiberty76
04-16-2010, 12:28 PM
@ steph 86--

You have really thought through the concept of Superman rather extensively and there is much that I would agree with you on. Superman as presently being done is a character of under-utilized potential; but with the right effort and a more dynamic direction he could be Number 1 again. On the other hand--there was some that was TOO much--More Powers? Uhhh..No. Superman doesn't have to be the planet-juggling powerhouse of the Pre-Crisis era--MY personal best for me the Byrne 'Man of Steel'--the reduced power-levels and the less-invulnerability makes for a more interesting character. Overall, an interesting and intriguing analysis; it made for good reading.

Mainline
04-16-2010, 02:06 PM
tl;dr...

But I think I agree with at least the basic premise that Superman's core motivations and characterization needs to be revisited so that anyone who thinks Superman- as a concept- is ridiculous can enjoy a credible take that resonates.

That said, it needs to be done 1) elegantly and 2) robustly.

Elegance means you use a few moves to get a lot of reasonable effects which produce the desired motivations and characterizations even if unstated... if you need a veritable essay to walk your audience from point A to point B, I suspect you've already failed.

Robustly means that you aren't so aggressive with the details that only one immutable interpretation of everything gets locked down to the exclusion of everything else. A lot of Superman exist in the live debate on who he is and the ambiguity of his story allows for multifaceted interpretations which appeal to more audiences. You don't want to foreclose whole branches of storytelling just for the sake of dogma when starting out.

This is surprisingly hard to do and there's a massive temptation to flag plant or fill in blanks unnecessarily in order to have one's way but a creator looking out for the greater good of the icon will balance resonance, elegance, and robustness to "do it right".

Enjoypolydor
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Just read All-Star Superman

666MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
@ steph 86--

You have really thought through the concept of Superman rather extensively and there is much that I would agree with you on. Superman as presently being done is a character of under-utilized potential; but with the right effort and a more dynamic direction he could be Number 1 again. On the other hand--there was some that was TOO much--More Powers? Uhhh..No. Superman doesn't have to be the planet-juggling powerhouse of the Pre-Crisis era--MY personal best for me the Byrne 'Man of Steel'--the reduced power-levels and the less-invulnerability makes for a more interesting character. Overall, an interesting and intriguing analysis; it made for good reading.

After all these years, I still fail to understand this thing about people thinking that a less powerful Superman makes for a more interesting character. If All-Star Superman showed us anything, is that he can still be interesting being a planet-juggler. Some people, I think, tend to think that by making Superman as powerful as he was during his Pre-COIE days would make him difficult to write or something. Nonsense, since I firmly believe that is nothing more than an excuse for lazy writers.

Also, a few people from that same bunch tend to think that he would become more "unrelatable". Something I don't understand either, as Superman is not there so you can relate to him, but to be inspired by him. The relatable part lies within the Clark Kent persona, who I see as his disguise (and in this I completely agree with what Neil Gaiman wrote in his wonderful essay about Superman from a few years ago).

Superman is about being in awe by seeing him do things no one else can do. A god who can easily rule this planet, but has chosen to protect us and to lead by example. A god who also tries to live as a mortal man, even though he's not one of us.

My opinion and personal tastes, anyway.

Derrick Fish
04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
As a lot of other posters here have pointed out, the Superman described in the original post here is VERY present in "ALL STAR SUPERMAN". (Where my personal favorite version of the concept of "Doomsday" was created.)

As an extension of this thread, I have a thought that always bugs me concerning his ever present weakness: Kryptonite. Why is is SOOO effective against him?

It's well established that Kryptonite radiation is deadly to Superman. Radiation, by definition, radiates from a specific point. Now, it's also well established that Superman's super senses can essentially SEE radiation of varying wavelengths. (He can see and follow back to it's source, radio waves, for example.) So why is he almost always caught off guard by Kryptonite?

And even when it's unveiled from some kind of lead container that masks it's presence, we know it's range is limited. It's lethality drops considerably with short distances that even under it's influences, Supes should be able to get away from reasonably enough. Plus, considering his incredible speed, enhanced senses and powers, wouldn't he be able to almost outrun the radiation itself? Even if the speed of Kryptonite Radiation is equal to the speed of Light, Supes is surely fast enough to at least stay in the outskirts of it's lethality range.

Also, wouldn't he be able to deduce that the presence of a radioactive dead zone in an environment in which radiation of all kinds is ubiquitous might mean that his enemy MIGHT have a stash of Kryptonite?

Really, the use of Kryptonite is kid of a crutch in Superman stories. Since it's in the interest of DC to maintain their character as an icon, long term change is BAD. So things must remain the same, but you have to imagine that by NOW, in current DC continuity, Superman would have found a dozen different ways to incorporate a level of radiation protection into his basic suit. Heck, I'm pretty sure I've read that BATMAN and ROBIN'S modern suits offers a mild degree of protection from radiation.

Just some random thoughts on Big Blue. :)

steph_86
04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
@ steph 86--

I understand your reservations. I do not know a whole lot about Superman's powers, history and characterization to be honest; or even about the DC universe for that fact. Nonetheless, I am convinced of the great potential inherent in Superman. The problem, is that he is taken for granted because he stands nowadays as an icon, an archetype whereas the general public still sees his opposite, Batman, as a real-life, full-blooded character.

My idea was to make the character more dynamic, more potent, more capable. He should be a character who evolves. Too often, Superman nowadays is reduced to a Super-brick with very little intellectual capability and an inability to fore-think when faced with situations and most of all, with a moral code that often seems extremely arid and too one-dimensional in its treatment.

There are two characteristics that I see in Superman: Compassion and the desire to save. From these two character traits, which can be exploited as flaws, there are many possibilities and there are more ways of explaining his moral and mental positions.

Superman does need MORE powers. But these should be a natural evolution of his powerset. Simply put, as a super-intellect, he should have an inquiring mind that seeks to understand and hone his skills. I see a Superman who attempts to control his physiology better and have limited control over matter, thus attempting to control the natural energies of his environment.

Superman is more than punching, saving and morals. The reason why I think he needs more powers is because other characters truly ARE on his level: Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter. In my view, only Martian Manhunter and Captain Marvel should be able to beat him.
By the way, Orion should be a TRUE God of War, and be able to convincingly beat the Man of Steel. Nonetheless, Superman SHOULD be a FORCE of NATURE, one who has dynamic strength and is CAPABLE. He should inspire POWER and RESPECT.

As far as movie characterization goes, I thought of the idea of godhood as a natural progression of Superman's fatal flaw: he seeks to save but he wants to do it on his own, he feels responsible for the world and even Life itself.
As such, he attempts to take hold of a Power he should not have. Darkseid, should be a TRUE God, unstoppable, one who can manhandle Superman with ease; both in the comics and potentially the movies.

The ending of Superman standing on a desert Earth was inspired from Mark Millar's potential scenario for the series. Finally, Superman should recognize his fatal flaw, which is almost a self-centeredness - which is very played out in the comics - that seeks to change History for his own purposes - he goes back in time to save Lois, is that acceptable? - and realize that he is not God.

The ending for me is truly epic and beautiful. Superman should die and be reborn for he is a type of nexus being. At this point, I am quite confused but I am convinced that a truly POWERFUL Superman - on Routh's level - would be truly epic and awe-inspiring.

Let's not forget, Superman is supposed to represent the aspirations of humanity and incarnate its potential perfection both physically, intellectually and mentally. He is not necessarily perfect, but he is a Force of Nature and a true HERO, who stands out among others.

Indeed, some of the best Superman stories are not the ones that involve him beating down on Villains, but rather they involve how he handles moral dilemmas as well as existential questions. I am thinking of Kingdom Come, Quest for Camelot and perhaps, All Star Superman (although its Sci-Fi elements are quite intimidating and difficult for me to grasp).

In any case, let me know what you think ...

Mat001
04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
As a lot of other posters here have pointed out, the Superman described in the original post here is VERY present in "ALL STAR SUPERMAN". (Where my personal favorite version of the concept of "Doomsday" was created.)

As an extension of this thread, I have a thought that always bugs me concerning his ever present weakness: Kryptonite. Why is is SOOO effective against him?

It's well established that Kryptonite radiation is deadly to Superman. Radiation, by definition, radiates from a specific point. Now, it's also well established that Superman's super senses can essentially SEE radiation of varying wavelengths. (He can see and follow back to it's source, radio waves, for example.) So why is he almost always caught off guard by Kryptonite?

And even when it's unveiled from some kind of lead container that masks it's presence, we know it's range is limited. It's lethality drops considerably with short distances that even under it's influences, Supes should be able to get away from reasonably enough. Plus, considering his incredible speed, enhanced senses and powers, wouldn't he be able to almost outrun the radiation itself? Even if the speed of Kryptonite Radiation is equal to the speed of Light, Supes is surely fast enough to at least stay in the outskirts of it's lethality range.

Kryptonite causes a reverse photo synthesis effect on a Kryptonian. Meaning it pushes out the solar energy collected within their bodies and replaces it with the radiation of the Kryptonite. This was explained in Action Comics Annual #10, "The Many Deaths Of Superman". This is why they drop like flies when they are hit with Green K. Foes like Metallo, Reactron, Conduit and the Kryptonite Man force Clark into confronting them head on, thereby exposing them to the Kryptonite.

In Action Comics #852, when the Kryptonite Man got free while before the parole board, Clark went underneath Abernathy and hit him with a lead lined glove, which allowed him to defuse the situation. In Action Comics #853, Clark did prepare for a confrontation with the Kryptonite Man, by putting on a lead plastic wrap that protected him. However once Abernathy figured it out, he just increased the heat of his body until the plastic melted and thus exposed Clark. Likewise Conduit, Metallo and Reactron can fire bursts of Kryptonite and thereby affect their intended target. Lex often wore a Kryptonite ring and thus whenever Clark went to confront him on a matter, he was forced to stay back. The Cyborg-Superman had a large rock and Clark was without his powers, thus he couldn't just fly away from him in Superman #82. He had to confront Henshaw head-on.

In the DCAU, Clark did have a radiation suit, but it was often destroyed and thus he was exposed again. And one time a Kryptonite missile was fired at him, while he was distracted. It should also be noted that Clark doesn't use his ability to see radiation wave lengths all the time. Only when he's tracking through the use of it. Otherwise, he relies on his normal vision.

Superman does need MORE powers. But these should be a natural evolution of his powerset. Simply put, as a super-intellect, he should have an inquiring mind that seeks to understand and hone his skills. I see a Superman who attempts to control his physiology better and have limited control over matter, thus attempting to control the natural energies of his environment.

Clark does not have Super-Intellect and hasn't since before "Man Of Steel". What he has is a greater capacity for processing information, but his IQ is the same as before. He's not like Lex Luthor or Michael Holt.

Superman is more than punching, saving and morals. The reason why I think he needs more powers is because other characters truly ARE on his level: Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter. In my view, only Martian Manhunter and Captain Marvel should be able to beat him.
By the way, Orion should be a TRUE God of War, and be able to convincingly beat the Man of Steel. Nonetheless, Superman SHOULD be a FORCE of NATURE, one who has dynamic strength and is CAPABLE. He should inspire POWER and RESPECT.

He still does. People turn to him for leadership. Their spirits soar when he arrives on the scene in the nick of time. When he speaks, they listen. He doesn't need more powers to command that kind of attention. He's capable of that with what he has right now.

Quinnhop
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Just read All-Star Superman

Exactly.

And if you need a movie? Get David Fincher to adapt and direct it, with Morrison and Quitely as creative consultants.

OldSchoolfan
04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
After all these years, I still fail to understand this thing about people thinking that a less powerful Superman makes for a more interesting character. If All-Star Superman showed us anything, is that he can still be interesting being a planet-juggler. Some people, I think, tend to think that by making Superman as powerful as he was during his Pre-COIE days would make him difficult to write or something. Nonsense, since I firmly believe that is nothing more than an excuse for lazy writers.

Also, a few people from that same bunch tend to think that he would become more "unrelatable". Something I don't understand either, as Superman is not there so you can relate to him, but to be inspired by him. The relatable part lies within the Clark Kent persona, who I see as his disguise (and in this I completely agree with what Neil Gaiman wrote in his wonderful essay about Superman from a few years ago).

Superman is about being in awe by seeing him do things no one else can do. A god who can easily rule this planet, but has chosen to protect us and to lead by example. A god who also tries to live as a mortal man, even though he's not one of us.

My opinion and personal tastes, anyway.

I agree with a lot of what you say here except the idea that its lazy writers who don't want him to juggle planets. If Superman was able to juggle planets and was that powerful, it's a lot harder to create dramatic tension. Superman shows up and saves the day...

I actually think it is more interesting for him to be limited in power and try to figure out how he was going to circumvent all of the obsticals in his way.

This is a good discussion... I also remember a triangle number Superman written by, I think, Joe Casey, that deals with a character who has figured out how to hurt Superman because she simply didn't want to be saved...I will search for that issue.

666MasterOfPuppets
04-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say here except the idea that its lazy writers who don't want him to juggle planets. If Superman was able to juggle planets and was that powerful, it's a lot harder to create dramatic tension. Superman shows up and saves the day...

I actually think it is more interesting for him to be limited in power and try to figure out how he was going to circumvent all of the obsticals in his way.

This is a good discussion... I also remember a triangle number Superman written by, I think, Joe Casey, that deals with a character who has figured out how to hurt Superman because she simply didn't want to be saved...I will search for that issue.

That's the answer right there. For that kind of circumstances, Superman might be a god, but still he can't do much.

The dramatic tension for a character like Superman should come at the emotional level. For the physical level, you have guys like Mongul, the Cyborg Superman (BTW, unbelievable how Henshaw and Mongul are now GL villains) and Darkseid, not counting whatever cosmic menace pops up from time to time (like a sun eater, for instance). Also, there's the intellectual level, in guys like Luthor and hell, Manchester Black (I still am trying to figure out why DC killed this guy, who also would work at the emotional level I just mentioned).

IMO, Superman is about the amazing, the unbelievable. Adventures through time and space facing insurmountable odds. Alien armadas trying to destroy Earth, Darkseid and Apokolips, Mongul and Warworld, Imperiex-like enemies, black holes, et cetera.

OldSchoolfan
04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes! Manchester Black was cool! Scary cool!

But, if its a forgone conclusion that Superman is more powerful than any villan you throw at him...doesn't that hurt the dramatic tension some?

About Cyborg and Mongul...I think there has been a quiet effort to boost DC's second string into first string characters and the way they went about it was to take the first string and put them were they wouldn't get in the way. Bruce Wayne lost in time and space....Superman off planet and not even appearing in his own book. Editorial might deny it but the facts of what happened remain pretty clear.

To me, it didn't make GL or Flash any more popular. It just made Superman's sales go down. I suspect Batman's too, but I don't know for sure.

I just read the latest Action and Adventure and I am not really sure how this is going to end up...I didn't think these particular installments were very good but there is still some energy there that keeps the story moving along.

Mat001
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
1. Manchester Black was killed because Joe Kelly was done with the character. He had never intended for him to be used repeatedly.

2. Cyborg-Superman is a GL villain because he destroyed Coast City and was the cause of Hal becoming Parallax. So all of the GL's have a bone to pick with him.

3. Mongul Jr., has been back and forth with Superman long before Hal's return. So putting him against the GL's makes sense. Plus, his father helped Henshaw to destroy Coast City.

666MasterOfPuppets
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes! Manchester Black was cool! Scary cool!

But, if its a forgone conclusion that Superman is more powerful than any villan you throw at him...doesn't that hurt the dramatic tension some?

Exactly. That's why I'm saying that the tension should exist on other levels, not only the physical one. Oh, and I forgot about Brainiac, who I hear was portrayed greatly during Johns' run on Action (yeah, I haven't read that arc yet. Shame on me).

About Cyborg and Mongul...I think there has been a quiet effort to boost DC's second string into first string characters and the way they went about it was to take the first string and put them were they wouldn't get in the way. Bruce Wayne lost in time and space....Superman off planet and not even appearing in his own book. Editorial might deny it but the facts of what happened remain pretty clear.

Yup. Actually Didio has said that when talking about what's happening on Action.

To me, it didn't make GL or Flash any more popular. It just made Superman's sales go down. I suspect Batman's too, but I don't know for sure.

I just read the latest Action and Adventure and I am not really sure how this is going to end up...I didn't think these particular installments were very good but there is still some energy there that keeps the story moving along.

I see. To be honest, it's been ages since I last picked any comic book. I stopped around the time of Final Crisis. I need to catch up for sure.

1. Manchester Black was killed because Joe Kelly was done with the character. He had never intended for him to be used repeatedly.

Oh, that's too bad. But I dunno. That guy was one of the best Superman villains I've ever seen.

2. Cyborg-Superman is a GL villain because he destroyed Coast City and was the cause of Hal becoming Parallax. So all of the GL's have a bone to pick with him.

3. Mongul Jr., has been back and forth with Superman long before Hal's return. So putting him against the GL's makes sense. Plus, his father helped Henshaw to destroy Coast City.

I know. But still. I mean, if it weren't for New Krypton Superman would never leave Earth. And Cyborg-Superman was originally a Superman villain, was he not?

Munkiman
04-21-2010, 05:47 PM

I think it's actually pretty lazy to limit Superman's power. If you have a Superman whose power is down to the level it is in, say, the animated series from the 90s (and the power level, particularly in regards to super speed, was always something that irked me about an otherwise excellent show), then instead of coming up with the sort of mental or emotional challenges that would face a being of such enormous power as Superman, the writers just need to come up with challenges that could work against any other superhero (seriously, Luminus?). Superman shouldn't be anything less than what he is.

Granted, he doesn't have to juggle planets. I find there's a very simple formula for the bare minimum Superman's powers should be at: faster than a speeding bullet, and more powerful than a locomotive. Anything less than that isn't Superman.

Mat001
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Oh, that's too bad. But I dunno. That guy was one of the best Superman villains I've ever seen.

True, but Kelly had only intended him for a one time use. He agreed to use him again, but was growing hesitant as he felt that the message of the character and the Elite was going to be lost. That's why he ended his life and it was only later when he thought about it, did he come up with the Justice League Elite arc.

I know. But still. I mean, if it weren't for New Krypton Superman would never leave Earth. And Cyborg-Superman was originally a Superman villain, was he not?

Yes, Henshaw is still a Superman villain and has been in the past. The last time they fought was in "Tales Of The Sinestro Corps Presents: Cyborg-Superman", where it was revealed that Henshaw only joined Sinestro in order to have his last revenge on Superman, before the Anti-Monitor killed him so that he could be at peace. Once the Sinestro Corps arrive on Earth, he goes after Superman and beats him down using the Sinestro rings.

As to going into space, he will if he has a reason to leave Earth. It's been that way since 1986.

I think it's actually pretty lazy to limit Superman's power. If you have a Superman whose power is down to the level it is in, say, the animated series from the 90s (and the power level, particularly in regards to super speed, was always something that irked me about an otherwise excellent show), then instead of coming up with the sort of mental or emotional challenges that would face a being of such enormous power as Superman, the writers just need to come up with challenges that could work against any other superhero (seriously, Luminus?). Superman shouldn't be anything less than what he is.

Granted, he doesn't have to juggle planets. I find there's a very simple formula for the bare minimum Superman's powers should be at: faster than a speeding bullet, and more powerful than a locomotive. Anything less than that isn't Superman.

Superman was still fast in the DCAU. They just didn't always have him moving at super speed. And Lumius was effective the second time, by having him use red solar energy. Lex Luthor has used it, so has other lesser foes. As it is in the comics, the power levels will vary depending on the writers. Everyone has a different view and different feelings about such a powerful figure.

OldSchoolfan
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
The funny part about your rubric for measuring Superman's powers is that we could actually ascribe numbers to them (power of a locomotive, Speed of a bullet....). Isn't this how those Super hero role playing games work?

I don't know if its a good idea at all to write a Superman story and actually use these numbers...someone could try but I think it would interfer with artistic license.

The thing I liked about the Superman animated series from the 90's is that it tried to take real physics into account...sure Superman had a hard time stopping that 747, not because he wasn't strong enough but, because of inertia and the frame of the aircraft. If the same plane was sitting on the tarmac, Supes could easily lift it and move it....how much more powerful do you need to be than that?

Joe Kelly created a scary cool villan and should share.:wink:

Mat001
04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
The funny part about your rubric for measuring Superman's powers is that we could actually ascribe numbers to them (power of a locomotive, Speed of a bullet....). Isn't this how those Super hero role playing games work?

I don't know if its a good idea at all to write a Superman story and actually use these numbers...someone could try but I think it would interfer with artistic license.

Wizard did. Pre-Crisis, he was up to a power level of ten throughout. That's when he juggled planets and stuff. Post Crisis, he's mostly a level eight though I think he's gotten up to a level nine.

The thing I liked about the Superman animated series from the 90's is that it tried to take real physics into account...sure Superman had a hard time stopping that 747, not because he wasn't strong enough but, because of inertia and the frame of the aircraft. If the same plane was sitting on the tarmac, Supes could easily lift it and move it....how much more powerful do you need to be than that?

Depends on the writer or the reader.

steph_86
09-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I have been thinking about ways to direct and steer the Superman franchise. So far, I think, one could come up with four Superman movies.

The First movie, titled Man of Steel, should be set up about one year after Superman has started operating in Metropolis. At the time, Superman is investigating possible links between the emergence of the metallic man, Metallo and Lex Luthor. In this version, Luthor is a successful businessman whose empire is steadily growing. Under the guise of Clark Kent, Kal-el goes out to interview Luthor concerning his new technological breakthroughs, and the connection between Luthor and the purported terrorist activity of the metallic man. Seeing that Clark might be onto a lead, Luthor sends goons after him to soften him up. Bizarrely, Clark disappears behind a street and in his stead appears, Superman, who proceeds to rout them quickly. One of the goons reveals himself, behind a lead skin alloy to be Metallo, the metallic villain. Superman confronts him and quickly realizes the new power source of the villain: Green kryptonite. Superman, is on the verge of defeat, when the Metahuman police of Metropolis shows up and attempts to rid Metallo of his power source. They are unable to severe the Kryptonite from his body, but they succeed in protecting Superman who soon recovers. Under a barrage of Superman and the agents, Metallo is forced to flee.

Back at the Daily Planet, Clark continues his investigation. With the help of Lois, he finds out that Metallo was actually John Corbin. Also, he starts rounding up possible connections between Luthor and his terrorist activity. He traces Corbin's activity, interviews his connections and realizes that Corbin has been traveling quite a bit around the world, especially to terrorist countries. Later during that day, Superman has a date with Lois. Suddenly, and unexpectedly, a black machine robot falls from the sky and attacks him. It proceeds to pummel him and sends him flying all across the city. Angered, and perplexed at the same time, he flies back and proceeds to fight back. Unexpectedly, the robot makes him bleed and we find out that it is sending a signal into space: Kryptonian detected. Superman is now enraged, he rips off the robot's head and proceeds to melt through its armor with his heat vision. The battle is over, and it seems, Superman senses another Luthor attack. With the fight over, however, he takes time to examine the inner machinery and is perplexed at the fact that the technology looks nothing like anything found on earth.

He proceeds to find out. He confronts Luthor about the attack without showing him the evidence of the fight. Luthor is surprised and retorts of not having any involvement with it. Superman leaves, and Luthor senses perhaps, an opportunity. He orders that Superman whereabouts in the city be followed and inspected as best as possible.

Superman arrives late for his date with Lois. He explains to her what happened. She attempts to connect the incident with Luthor, however, Superman thinks the attack is not from earth, it may be alien. Later that day, he goes into his fortress of solitude and proceeds to analyze the robot with his equipment. Looking into his Kryptonian database, he learns of the alien origin of the material that makes up the robot. He still does not know who is at the origin of the attack, but it is definitely alien. Life on other planets is possible, but where?

A couple of days later, Lois and Clark are out at LexCorp plaza, covering the announcement of a new titanium robot that is supposed to be the future of police guard and revolutionize crime fighting. Clark is surprised that Luthor would so openly divulge his own secret technological advancements and thinks that Luthor is up to something. Luthor gives a demonstration. He enters the robot and asks his assistant to start testing with all sorts of things, flames, lasers and artillery. The robot is impervious to harm, can shoot artillery and is capable of feats of strength. Suddenly, something goes wrong. It starts firing into the crowd and people start panicking. Superman enters the scene and quickly dispatches the robot. At the end, Superman changes back to Clark, he find Lois and notes it weird that such an incident would happen to Lex Luthor, someone who is usually on point as far as technology goes.

Cutting to the next scene, we find John Corbin in Lybia, concluding an arms deal with a couple of terrorists. They are planning to weaponize multiple cities across the world, arming secret terrorist groups that will ultimately plan to overthrow multiple small governments across the world. The ultimate plan is to provide Lex Luthor an opportunity to play the rescuer in a mini-global crisis by providing the means to sell his technology to governments in distress. Corbin goes back to his headquarters and proceeds to go to the airport. He is heading back to Metropolis.

Clark has found another lead on Corbin's story. He has found out that the man who was once Jack Corbin once volunteered to an independent RnD program to produce mechanically-engineered humanoid of proportionate strength and power. One of the other leads, of course, is that the technology used to develop the program is very similar to the one that Luthor has been using to engineer his robotic guards. In particular, he investigates Titanium dealings in the city and later sets out as Superman to trace their site of operation. Superman bursts into the scene of an abandoned hangar, where crooked criminals are meeting. Soon, he proceeds to ask the tough questions. He is surprised by the resistance of the crooks who have enough firepower to stagger and stun and even hurt him. Superman fights back. Unbeknownst to him, he has been followed. In the midst of the battle, Metallo shows up on the scene , looking to even the scores with Superman. He pummels him and both combatants soon tear the place down. Soon, Superman is down, at the mercy of Metallo who beats him down almost to the point of unconsciousness. Superman is captured and is taken to a secret location.

Elsewhere, in space, a dark, mechanical skull awakes from its suspended animation. The signal has been received, that a Kryptonian has been detected. Light flashes out of its eyes as it sets course for earth. Back at the Daily Planet, Lois is surprised that Clark has not shown up to work. She also attempts to contact Superman with the help of Jimmy Olsen. No sign of him either.
She fears that Clark is in trouble, so she looks into Clark's secret files and finds out what he had headed to do the preceding night.

At one of Luthor's secret lairs, Superman is held hostage, under the exposure of Kryptonite. Metallo who is sure of Superman's impending death, let's Superman in on Luthor's plans. He is fomenting terrorist attacks in Saharan Africa in order to throw the whole Saharan and possibly the Mid-East region into turmoil. He has already foreseen the consequences: pandemonium, political instability and repeated terrorist attempts to make the whole geo-political region unstable. Then, he will step in and help the governments of the world control the situation, using his new technology. That, sounds like a good way to make some money and finally extend his operations on a truly global scale.

We find Lois, at Lex's headquarters. She infiltrates the place and soon finds out about Luthor's dealings. As she sends a message to the Metropolis investigation unit, she is intercepted by Luthor himself. She is now being held hostage at LexCorp's headquarters.

Back at the scene of Superman. Repeatedly, Metallo beats down Superman. Then, he asks about the incident told him to inquire about, the incident that happened in Metropolis a couple of days earlier. Superman will not say a word, but Metallo reveals that Luthor was perplexed as his base has intercepted on that same day, a signal in an unknown language which seemed to have directed to space itself. Is there some alien connection which Superman has yet to have mentioned? Superman, sarcastically mentions a possible connection, maybe even a Kryptonian armada and is then slammed shut by Metallo. Then, his boss calls him. Luthor orders Metallo to kill Superman. Metallo keeps toying with Superman then lands him the killing blow. Superman is left for dead, Metallo frees him from his shackles and soon proceeds to dispose of him for further use, at Luthor's request.

They arrive at Lex's headquarters. Suddenly, Superman awakes, he knocks the Kryptonite out of Metallo's chest and throws it afar. Metallo asks him how he could have managed to live when in fact his heart stopped. Superman says, he has the ability to control his body too and under stress can stop some of his vital functions. Both combatants confront each other, with Superman struggling to gain the upper hand. Finally he knocks the metallic man off him and proceeds to melt him with his heat vision. Soon, metallo is down. Superman throws a hard punch that causes the humanoid's systems to shut down. The Metahuman police arrives at the scene of the battle while the Metropolis police department is just apprehending Luthor. They have intercepted an important cargo of armaments in destination to Saharan Africa. Lois has been freed and charges are being brought against Luthor.

In the final scenes of the movie, Superman is having dinner with Lois. He tells her of how he thought he was going to die at the hands of Metallo and of how he would have missed people on the earth. Lois inquires, about any people in particular and Superman simply smiles. The last scene is showing earth, as a meteor hurtles towards it, nearing Earth. Brainiac is arriving.

steph_86
09-11-2010, 12:10 AM
The second Superman movie takes place a couple of months after the Metallo affair. Lex Luthor has been indicted, although the chances of him actually going to prison are slim. So he has been keeping a low profile. Lois and Superman have been seeing each other from time to time, and the intrepid reporter finally seems to be totally in love with him. Clark, well Clark can't compete with the attention that Superman is getting. Both reporters compete for the best exclusives, and it seems, Lois is having the upper hand.

In the first scene of the movie, Superman is in his fortress of solitude, trying to figure where out of the known inhabited world in the universe the alien robot has originated from. He is having little luck.

Lois is out in the Mid-East, covering a wave of terrorist activities in the region. The terrorists have been targeting specific sites of governmental power using highly advanced weaponry. She suspects that the terrorists have been using some of the weapons dealt by LexCorp. She managed to grab the assignment and wrest it away from Clark. There, at a reception, she interviews a couple of figures in high command, notably the Quraqi Intelligence director. She is having her own suspicions on the actual involvement of the department in the affair.

Using her own intelligence sources, she hears of a possible plot for the next target of the terrorist wave which is an attempt to seize control of a government facility that contains mass destruction armament. Lois proceeds to alert the authorities, but she has little evidence. So, she sets out on her own to investigate.

Back in Metropolis, Clark hears of the latest terrorist attempts and is surprised to hear of Lois' departure for Quraq. He asks Perry White for a special permission to depart for Quraq and give another angle on the situation. His permission is accepted and the following day he heads for the Mid-East.

As Clark leaves, mysterious robots suddenly shoot down from the sky and land at strategic locations of the city of Metropolis. Soon, they proceed to search out for their prey.

Lois has traced the information to its source. It comes from a sub-cell of the activist group which is located in the country. She heads there under a disguise and sees that the terror group are actually hiding and are being supported by the populace. Unfortunately, Lois gets herself in trouble and is kidnapped by one of the activists. At a secret location, she learns of their plan which is to detonate a nuclear warhead and direct it towards Europe, more specifically the city of Paris. Lois is horrified by their plan. Soon, they proceed to torture her little by little.

Clark arrives in the capital of Quraq and goes to the hotel where Lois was staying. They identify her and he asks about her whereabouts. They say that Lois left the night before for an unknown destination. He reserves a room at the hotel and proceeds to change into his Superman costume, sensing that perhaps, Lois might be in trouble.

The mysterious robots arrive in Metropolis and start attracting the attention of people. They are searching for a mysterious individual, a Kryptonian. One by one, they scour the city tracing the specific bioelectric signature of their query. The city sensing an invasion of some sort starts taking measures to take them out. They are being apprehended by the Metahuman division of Metropolis. Everyone, however, is surprised at the fact that Superman has not shown up yet. Lex Luthor sensing something amiss for the hero, decides to take his place and organizes his own little battalion in the effort to protect the city.

The scene switches to Kansas, in the whereabouts of the Kent farm where two robots have landed. The Kents are terrified and horrified by their presence. They attempt to fend off the threat with little success. Carnage ensues, as the robots unable to find their target proceed to leave, leaving Clark's mother gravely wounded, on the verge of death and the farm destroyed.

Superman has been looking at the infrared signature of Lois to track down her whereabouts. He has been having trouble finding her and has hit a dead-end. Switching to his Clark Kent persona, he soon finds out where she was last seen. He concludes that she must have been heading South, in the country-side. He contacts Perry and let's him know of the situation. Lois is missing.

Elsewhere, in Quraq, the terrorists start to plan their attack. With their superior weaponry, they attack the heavily fortified governmental plant. Following the battle, they quickly seize control of the fortifications and proceed to launch the missile.

Clark switches into Superman. He elevates into the air, goes into space and starts hearing on the known frequencies and at the same time using his telescopic vision to pick Lois' location. In the span of a few minutes, he locates her and crashes down into the place where she is being held. He has trouble dispatching them, as the weaponry they use is able to harm him. Then, using all his might he crashes through all of them. Still, one of the criminals brandishes his gun at Lois and advises Superman to give up or else she dies. Clark hesitates a moment, then the next moment he is found behind his enemy with the latter's gun in his hand. He softly hits him on the forehead. Then, he holds Lois in his hands, battered and bruised. At that moment, two mysterious robots storm in the village, causing destruction as they are coming closer to their target. Superman walks out of the hangout with Lois and a machine scans: Kryptonian targeted.

He engages both robots in combat and quickly melts through them. The second one, tougher and more resilient deals him a mighty punch. Superman is sent flying through then falls hard. He gets up and flies back through the robot, ripping a hole through it. He is perplexed at their presence and seems to remember the altercation with the first robot. Lois coming to her bearings quickly tells Superman of the impending terrorist attack.

Superman and Lois exchange warm words, then leaving Lois in a safe location, Superman flies into space and quickly locates the terrorists' position. From up there, and using his vision powers, he disarms the terrorists with his heat vision and destroys the control launch, as they attempt to arm the missile. Then, he flies off to Metropolis.

steph_86
09-11-2010, 12:10 AM
As he arrives into Metropolis, he sees multiple robots scouring the city. They are no longer looking for their target, rather, they are rounding people up. The Metahuman division has been mostly disbanded and destruction is everywhere. Superman going at high speed, engages the robots one by one. Using his immense strength he manages to crush many of them. At that moment, an immense skull shows itself in the sky of Metropolis: Kryptonian found. Brainiac arrives.

Lex Luthor marvels at the presence of Brainiac. He has been intercepting the signals of communication between Brainiac and his robots. He quickly sends his own team of androids to apprehend the threat. He hopes to subdue it one way or another or at least learn what can be learned from it.

Superman flies into the air. At that moment, two powerful rays issue from the immense structure and stun him. Superman is bleeding. At that point, Superman flies even faster, zigzaging around the rays and coming closer to the eyes, he attempts to dent holes into them. He is quickly repulsed by an impenetrable force-field. He tries again and again with his punches and nearly breaks his knuckles on them.

Back in Quraq, Lois is taken among the wounded. The terrorist plot has been foiled, thanks in part to Superman. On her way to the hospital, she watches the news reports of Metropolis getting invaded by Brainiac and sees as Superman attempts to overcome them. Lois quickly gets up from her emergency bed and runs out of the hospital at any means necessary. She phones the Daily Planet office, which has been destroyed by Brainiac robots, and asks to be put on the first flight back to the city.

Back in Metropolis, Superman is being invaded by an army of robots, which seem to be falling out of the air. One by one, he wades through them, then, two laser rays shoot out from the Brainiac ship and finally stun him to the ground. The robots quickly gather around him and hold him. Then, a figure in green armor comes out of the ship. Brainiac.

He levitates and lands at Superman's feet. Brainiac then proceeds to crush Superman between his arms, then let's go of him. Superman lays on the floor, defeated and almost unconscious. Brainiac is a collector. He collects pieces of other cultures, miniaturizes them then destroys them. He plans to collect the Kryptonian, collect his city, then destroy the earth.

Back at Lexcorp's tower. Luthor is studying footage of Superman's battle. He sees the impenetrable forcefield and gets his team of scientists on a way to finding out how to work around it and destroy the ship.

In Brainiac's ship, Superman is being held hostage. Brainiac is making preparations for the miniaturization of the city. He tells Superman of Krypton's history and of how he was actually a program designed on Krypton to assure the safety of the people and serve as a databank of knowledge for his race. Interestingly, Brainiac soon developed a mind of his own and sought to free itself from the confines of Kryptonian culture. In fact, he was involved in the destruction of Krypton as he hid from the general Council the information necessary to predict the coming of the devastating earthquakes.

Having heard enough, Superman in a fit of rage, frees himself from the Brainiac constructs and proceeds to pummel him. In a contest of man to man, Brainiac soon proves to be stronger and more powerful. Soon, he overpowers Superman. Superman fights back and doses him with a powerful blast of heat vision that sends his adversary flying to the other end of the ship. With Brainiac down, Superman investigates all the worlds that have been captured. Interestingly, he overhears voices in Kryptonian calling him. He recognizes the individuals inside the bottle, wearing Kryptonian insignias. Superman frees them and promises the other worlds to free them too. On his way, he is apprehended by Brainiac who tells him that the process of miniaturization will soon begin. Superman beats him down again, and taking advantage of the opportunity attempts to override the command but he is unable to.

He flies outside and proceeds to take down the miniaturizing cannon. He is unable to as the force field still protects it. Suddenly, the Brainiac ship is attacked. Luthor has brought his own team on the site and has figured a way to destroy the ship. His team concentrates its firepower on one side of the ship and another half of the team concentrates on the other half. The force field is weakening but their weapons are not powerful enough. Superman soon understands what is going on and proceeds to attack the ship on one side then in a split second finds himself on the other side and lands a powerful blow that shatters part of the force-field. Hammering again, he quickly penetrates it and proceeds to dismantle the ray. Nevertheless, he fails. The ray fires and Metropolis ends up being miniaturized slowly by slowly.

At that moment, Lois' plane is in the air. She looks down as Metropolis has disappeared and fears the worst. The pilot, is trying to land as best he can.

Enraged, Superman attacks the Brainiac ship again. He pummels it and takes it apart at the seams. Soon, the Brainiac ship is sent flying to the ground. Brainiac walks out, badly wounded, as the destruction of his ship, has damaged his physical shell. Superman beats him down, then walks into the ship. He finds the bottled city of Metropolis and takes it out with the Kryptonian city of Kandor. He walks to the control unit of the ship, and attempts to figure a way to reverse the miniaturizing ray. He is unable to do it. Then he walks outside and finds Brainiac lying in the mud. Brainiac lets him know that the ray can be reversed but since his ship has been destroyed, there is little that can be done. Superman kneels down and rages. Long minutes pass then, Lois and her crew finally land near the battle site. Lois runs towards Superman and sobs. Superman says, kneeling down in the mud: I failed them Lois, I failed.

As the movie ends, US government personnel arrive on the scene of the battle and proceed to take the metahuman named Brainiac to a private facility. With the help of Superman, Brainiac's ship is mounted on cargo. Superman, however, recovers the bottled cities and departs with them.

steph_86
09-11-2010, 12:11 AM
The movie opens on the scene of a reconstructed city of Metropolis. Bibbo, a Superman fan walks into the streets and buys a newspaper from a news stand. It reads: The City of Metropolis saved once again, thanks to Superman.

The scene switches and we find Luthor raging at the Man of Steel. Reading through the lines, he proceeds to describe how using Kryptonian technology Superman was able to restore the city of Metropolis to its grandeur, although other worlds remain, bottled inside his fortress of solitude. Luthor, calls his personal bodyguard and walks out of his office.

Lois is sitted in the office, typing her latest exclusive with Superman. Clark is not there however, he has taken a vacation to be with his family, who have been casualties of the Brainiac invasion. We find Clark at the farm, tending to his mother and letting her know how much he cares for her. She is convalescent and is aware of a concern weighing down on her son. Clark reveals how, during Metropolis' final stand, he thought of the only person that really meant the world to him: Lois. Lois and he, or rather, Lois and Superman, had steadily been growing closer to one another. He says, however that, for all his powers, for all his knowledge, he still as yet does not know how to handle his emotions. His mother replies how his father would have been proud of him, and of how she has confidence in him that he will make the right decision.

The scene switches again, we find Luthor at night meeting at a private RnD laboratory facility. During the battle with Brainiac, one of Luthor's henchmen was able to isolate a sample of Superman's blood. Luthor with his own team of scientists, hopes to use that knowledge for his own purposes. Following one of Luthor's experiments, one of the janitors working at the facility is mistakenly charged with transporting radioactive material from one location into another. Accidentally, he stumbles, and ends up being exposed to the strange radiation that makes up the material. Later that night, he returns home, and starts undergoing a strange transformation, ultimately turning into a bald, green or purple-skinned monster. Rudy Jones, his name, stumbles across the city and creates a great scare. People start running away and alert the authorities. Interestingly, everything Jones touches increases his power all the more. He becomes bigger, more gelatinous and more monstrous. He starts babbling out: Help me, help me.

Superman who was attending a charity event at a hospital, hears of the commotion around the city and arrives at the scene. He finds the Metropolis special crimes unit there also and orders them to cease fire on the monster. Superman inquires into who the creature is, and it answers back: Rudy, Rudy Jones. Superman walks further and proceeds to offer some help. Soon, as Superman grabs the monster, a shock of electricity goes through his body, the monster and the Man of Steel stand together, electrified and in pain. Finally, Superman steps back and soon realizes that the monster has taken his physical appearance. Seeing that, Rudy runs away at super speed. Superman attempts to catch up to him, but Rudy soon shapeshifts and inserts himself into the gutters of the city. Soon, he loses sight of him.

The following day, Clark shows up at work and everyone is happy to see him. Lois inquires about his mother, and Clark responds that she is fine. Lois soon catches up on the news and proceeds to write an article on the creature. Perry White seeing a photo of it, dubs it a Parasite and slams into his office. Lois acquiesces to the name, and thinks of naming the creature by that name in the article. Soon, the Parasite is seen and he struggles to find his bearings. He asks himself questions and wonders what he is doing under the sewers. He should be instead working at the Daily Planet, on a new story.

Strangely, the scene switches to Central Europe, and the burrows of the earth are shown. Thuds are being heard as all around, the earth trembles on the surface. People all around seem a little alarmed, but soon resume their daily activities.

Atop of the Daily Planet building, Superman is having an intimate time with Lois. She remarks how Superman always seems to show up whenever she is in trouble. She seems to find it almost strange. The two lovers look each other in the eye, and Lois attempts to kiss him. But Superman seeing this, moves back and recounts how their biology is completely incompatible and his enhanced physiology would be too much for Lois to handle. Lois responds try me and Superman passionately kisses her. At this, Lois faints and momentarily loses consciousness. Then she awakes and seems to have no recollection of what just transpired and happily finishes eating her dinner. Soon, Superman takes her to her apartment and wishes her good night.

We follow Superman to Star Labs where he and a group of scientists are conducting a series of tests on him. Superman soon finds out what has been happening since his latest bout with the creature, and even more so since the Brainiac invasion, his powers have been depleting. Then, Superman is taken to see Brainiac's ship. They have managed to access Brainiac's log and using Superman's alien signature, they find out about the origins of the alien and of how he might be connected to an alien energy being called the Eradicator. It all sounds very familiar to Superman.

Later that night, the Parasite is seen again in Metropolis. Superman hears the news of him, but this time, comes prepared. He tries to offer some help to him, but Parasite tells him that he does not understand. He accuses Superman of impersonating him, he claims to be the real Superman and proceeds to attack him. Superman is protected by a suit specially constructed by him to protect him from the Parasite. Using his freeze breath, he freezes Parasite and flies off with him. Superman arrives at Star LABS and brings with him the Parasite. As he removes his suit, Parasite bursts out of the ice cage and grabs Superman by the neck. He nearly drains him completely. Then, standing victorious, he let's Superman and evades pursuit. Superman sinks into unconsciousness.

The following day, Clark Kent is at work and invites Lois to dinner. Later that day, he asks Lois about how she feels about him. She responds that she likes him as a friend but is already in love with someone else. At that point, Clark decides to reveal his real identity to Lois. He tells her of how, he can no longer deny his feelings for her. Clark Kent, is Superman and Lois stands transfixed at that news. And so, he invites her outside, changes into Superman and takes her for a flight. Lois and Superman stand on top of the Planet. She remarks how everything seems to make sense. At this point, Superman tries to kiss her, but she instinctively says no.

In Central Europe, a city of Lithuania is being gripped by earthquakes. The authorities are finally alarmed and attempt to find out the cause of the calamity. Finally, a monster comes out of the ground. He starts wrecking havoc. Back at Star LABS, Superman finally awakes. He had been in suspended reanimation. He gets his bearings and quickly heads out, to the sun and recharges his powers for an extended period of time. As he flies back, he realizes that his powers are acting out of control. He heads for Metropolis and is surprised to find another Superman operating in Metropolis. Superman quickly recognizes Parasite's molecular signature and proceeds to deal with him at a distance. As both protagonists are engaged in combat, Superman sees on a flat-screen television of the news happening in Lithuania. A monster has just surged out of the ground, and is terrorizing the people. Superman sensing the urgency of the threat leaves Parasite, and directly heads there.

steph_86
09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Superman arrives and finds a trail of destruction that defies description. He finds the 7 foot tall monster and proceeds to talk it down, saying he does not want to hurt it. The monster looks at him, sneers and attacks him. He pummels him all across the town and throws him into a lake. There, he follows the Man of Steel, attempts to choke him and stomps on him. Seeing that Superman is momentarily stunned, Doomsday proceeds to punch him to death. The water ripples above the surface. Then, there is quiet, and then, the monster is seen flying out of the water as Superman follows after him. He intercepts the monster before he reaches it and punches it south, in direction of Poland. As he arrives, Doomsday charges at him at super speed and leaps hundreds of miles towards The Man of Steel who is flying in the air. He holds him by the neck, and twists above and onto his back. Then he hits him. Superman hurtles down, and crashes into several buildings of people. He realizes the monster's power and thinks that it might be tougher than he had originally imagined.

Elsewhere, in Metropolis, Lois hears of the news of the earlier battle during the day between the two Supermen. She starts having suspicion and wonders whether she has not been meeting with the one impersonating Superman. Lex Luthor however, learning of the news seems to be made uncomfortable, worried and at the same time content, thinking that maybe, his nemesis will finally meet his doom. At this point, Luthor sighs, looks at his watch and takes some medication.

We find Superman in Poland, Doomsday grabs him by the hair and runs at high speed with him, all across the country, carrying him across the border towards the center of Germany. The army seeing how the Big Blue is having trouble steps in and attempts to help but its artillery is too little to help. At this point, Doomsday punches Superman through multiple buildings and proceeds to throw a tank line at him. The whole area explodes and Superman lies on the floor. Doomsday runs at him and mechanically pounds into him. The Man of Steel's face is starting to show lesions. At this point, the monster sees a child crying. He looks at him, and leaves Superman on the floor, and heads in the child's direction. Seeing as how Doomsday is about to crush the child, Superman shows up, grabs Doomsday at the waist and flies high into the atmosphere. He wants to take the battle into space. There, he grabs Doomsday by the head and starts pounding into him, and pounding and pounding. Below, people can hear the thuds and see crackling lightning surging around them. Then Superman punches him back and Doomsday hurtles to earth like a streaking comet. The monster falls into the North sea, setting up ripples and tsunami waves off the coasts of continental Europe. Superman, completely oblivious to the damage is soaking with power. His whole body is crackling with electricity, as it seems he is tapping into all his powers.

At the Kent farm, Martha Kent interrupts her whereabouts as she watches the news of Superman confronting a creature of unknown origin and of great power in Continental Europe. She only fears the worst and moves up into her room, kneels down and says prayers for her son.

In Europe, Superman's powers are going out of control. Heat beams are crackling out of his eyes, while heat waves are literally radiating from his body. He has become a solar battery causing around him incredible destruction. Doomsday comes out of the water and re-engages him in battle. He apparently seems to have evolved the ability to levitate. He flies into the air throws his retractile darts at Superman, piercing his flesh and reeling him toward himself. Then, as Superman struggles to free himself, Doomsday deals him a mighty punch that sounds like a nuclear blast, and sends ripples all the way to southern Italy. Superman ends up in the Atlantic sea. Doomsday follows him and runs with him on the sea floor, all the way to the city of New York.

At this point, Wayne enterprise hears of the news and decides to send a garrison of its own manufactured robots to the site. The team is quickly dispatched. Various government agencies band together and attempt to take down the monster but nothing works. Back at Star LABS, scientists analyzing Superman's DNA come to the conclusion that his molecular structure following the encounters with Parasite, has become unstable. The team fears the worst, either the prospects of a Superman run amok, or the ultimate demise of the Man of Steel, following a state of complete exhaustion.

At the Daily Planet, Perry sends Lois out to cover the news and provide an angle on the developing story. She is intercepted on her way by the Parasite, who changing into and out of his Superman persona, decides to transport her along with him. He has decided to go confront the monster and show that he is the real Superman. The two arrive in New York, where, Superman is trying to make his last stands. He seems to be pulling new powers out of his arsenal. He extends his force field, around civilians and manages to protect them that way. Then, he levitates Doomsday and manages to erect an impenetrable force field around him. The monster is wading, punching while Superman is literally bleeding in his attempt to contain him and squeeze him. Finally, the force-field breaks and Superman falls to the ground. Then, Doomsday takes Superman into the air, levitating, then flying he holds him up into the air and then falls with him at high speed in the center of Metropolis. A huge crater is formed in the city, sending ripples all across Eastern and Mid-Western America. For the first time, Doomsday actually speaks: and now, I take what you hold most dearly. Your beloved home-world, your city, your life. Doomsday is about to deal Superman the killing blow when he is frozen into near-stillness. The Parasite arrives on the site and starts to revel in his triumphant actions.

Doomsday finally breaks through the ice, and still manages to deal a massive blow to Superman, which the Parasite changing into Superman, actually blocks. At this, the crowd is surprised to see two Supermen standing near each other. Parasite then proceeds to pummel Doomsday at super-speed. He punches and punches till he tires. Then the monster looks at him, and sneers. He punches him, straight through the chest and vibrates his arm through his body, almost molecularly decomposing the symbiote. As Parasite dissolves, he tells a recovering Superman that he is sorry, that he only wanted to be Superman, he only wanted to save.

At this sight, Lois looks in sadness and cries. Superman covers her and calling him Clark, Lois attempts to kiss him on the lips. Superman is surprised at her calling him Clark, but quickly figures out why. He then refuses to kiss her on the lips, then, he kisses her on the forehead and goes to confront Doomsday. She says in a low voice, Clark.

At this, Superman unleashes a full blast of heat vision in a concentrated beam that almost melts through Doomsday and sends him across the city and landing near the Daily Planet building. The Man of Steel arrives on the scene, and at very high speed, seems to be literally punching Doomsday from every direction. The monster roars and methodically punches Superman back, across his body, brutally breaking his arm, then he punches him in the stomach. Superman seriously bleeds. The buildings in the whole city and surrounding neighborhoods seriously quake. Sensing that he might be living his final moments, Superman and Doomsday move towards one another, and hit with all their might in a blow that explodes into the air, and forming a huge crater between them. Both combatants then fall. A camera that was reporting, is filming the place from overhead. We see fumes and smoke emanating from the place. Soon, one combatant gets up, and in one moment, the assistance is frightened. The figure walks out of the fumes, past a piece of Superman's cape and falls to the ground. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen who had been following them rush to the scene.

The monster, is he, is he stopped? Asks Superman.

Lois replies: Yes, yes you stopped him.

Superman soon fades and his head leans back to the ground.

The picture of Lois crying with Superman in her hand, makes first page in all the newspapers all around the world. Superman's funeral is being carried all around the city. Atop the Daily Planet building, a dark figure with pointy ears is seen observing the proceedings noting, and then, disappears. At this point, Luthor turns off the television and heads to bed.

The movie ends with Lois showing up at the Kent's farm. She knows, she knows everything. She consoles Clark's mother. We end up with flashbacks of the last moments, as Metropolis special crisis unit, attempts to revive Superman with special amped shockplates. To no avail.

dupersuper
09-11-2010, 02:58 AM

It was an Action comics issue by Geoff Jones, actually.