PDA

View Full Version : Black History Appreciation: NIGHTSHADE [Dr. Tilda Johnson]

Kieran_Frost
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
NAME: Dr. Tilda Johnson
ALIAS: (Doctor) Nightshade, Deadly Nightshade, Queen of the Werewolves
PLACE OF BIRTH: Harlem, NYC
EDUCATION: Extensively self taught in multiple disciplines; obtained a doctoral degree from an undisclosed university while in prison
PARTNERSHIP: Yellow Claw [Plan Chu]
AFFILIATIONS: the Femizons, MODOK'S 11
ALLIES/FRIENDS: Armadillo [Antonio Rodriguez] and Puma [Thomas Fireheart]

EARLY LIFE: Tilda Johnson was born into poverty, the only child of a family living in the Harlem district of New York City. At an early age, she discovered that she was gifted with a natural aptitude for science, and she chose to develop it in secret, hiding a brilliant mind behind a facade of childish behavior. By the time she was sixteen, Johnson had accumulated an extensive knowledge of genetics, cybernetics, and physics, and using her knowledge she began a career of crime, believing that this would be her fastest and most lucrative way out of the ghetto. [taken from Marvel Database]

ABILITIES/POWERS: Tilda Johnson is an extraordinary genius, and extensively self-taught in genetics, biochemistry, cybernetics, robotics and physics. She also obtained a doctoral degree from an undisclosed university while in prison. Nightshade sometimes wears protective battle armor, including silver spikes for protection from attack by werewolves. She has created an array of advanced weaponry, and has built numbers of humanoid robots. She created a chemical serum to transform normal humans into werewolves under her control and has used concentrated pheromones to control men through her allure. Nightshade apparently secretes chemical pheromones from her body that affect the will of certain animals, including werewolves, making them obedient to her commands. [taken from Wikipedia]

http://marvel.com/universe3zx/images/f/f9/Nightshade.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/CaptainAmerica164.jpg

Sorry Hindsight Kid, I grew impatient in waiting!!! Apologies!
:smile:

Greg Anderson
02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Goodness gracious, where has this beautiful Nubian Queen been hiding? :eek:

Freakzeek
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Goodness gracious, where has this beautiful Nubian Queen been hiding?

I like the way you think Greg:biggrin:
She's been fighting storm

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/Freakzeek_2009/UXM_FC_004-016.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/Freakzeek_2009/UXM_FC_004-017.jpg

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/Freakzeek_2009/UXM_FC_004-018.jpg

Greg Anderson
02-05-2010, 04:01 PM
That's her?! I have that issue!

marvell2100
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Greatest catfight in the history of comics!!!!! Rematch!

Kieran_Frost
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow! Thanks for the fight Freakzeek! Really excellent; though one panel I mistook a punch for Nightshade slipping backwards away from it, Matrix style. Which would have been very awesome!
:smile:

Kieran_Frost
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Greatest catfight in the history of comics!!!!! Rematch!
OH YES! I second that! Is it too late to hope Doom has married Nightshade, so Storm and her can duke it out in Doom War?

DamonO
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Allright, I have to know: What issue is this fight scene from? Never knew that Storm and Nightshade had met, let alone slugged it out.

Freakzeek
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Allright, I have to know: What issue is this fight scene from? Never knew that Storm and Nightshade had met, let alone slugged it out.

Marvel’s Uncanny X-Men: First Class #4

Nyssane
02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I love Nightshade. :smile: She was great in MODOK's 11 and The Superia Strategem. I also loved her popping up a bunch of times in Luke Cage.

Captain Librarian
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I only know her as the woman who created Cap-Wolf!

Therefore, she rocks.

Dermie
02-06-2010, 07:23 AM
She had a nice stint as a suppoting player for a while during Priest's BLACK PANTHER run, where she was sorta-kinda on the good side for a while, out of respect and admiration for T'Challa.

Thirteen
02-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Normally, I might have objections to how the character is scantily clad given her role as a scientist...but theres just something about her that makes me enjoy how she absolutely revels in flaunting her body. Something that makes it empowering rather than exploitive....
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/36894/827532-nightshade1_large.jpg (http://www.comicvine.com/nightshade1/105-827532/)
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5586/457024-n2_large.jpg (http://www.comicvine.com/n2/105-457024/)
Gotta love the afro-puffs too. Loved the battle in Black Panther where one was chopped off.
Also like her more "practical" wear for wrangling her werewolves from the CapWolf Saga
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/5586/503868-11_large.jpg (http://www.comicvine.com/11/105-503868/)

Kasper Cole
02-06-2010, 07:48 AM
She had a nice stint as a suppoting player for a while during Priest's BLACK PANTHER run, where she was sorta-kinda on the good side for a while, out of respect and admiration for T'Challa.

Mostly the Happy Pants version of T'Challa, she didn't seem to care to much for the main version.

Hindsight lad
02-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Sorry Hindsight Kid, I grew impatient in waiting!!! Apologies!

No problem Kieran_Frost. The more the merrier. Besides, your love for Tilda is clear. Cool profile, btw.

Hindsight lad

Imraith Nimphais
02-06-2010, 10:21 AM
She's HAWTT!...I too, would like to see more of her in the MU...as far as I can tell all the "super-scientists" are male...there needs to be a strong female in that group and Nightshade would be great! And keep the "bikini"...a woman can be smart and be wicked sexy.8-O

AllisterH
02-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I think she's the only true female super-scientist currently alive in marvel.

*super-scientist as defined in superhero comics as one that has wide knowledge in very differing fields a la Pym who has wide knowledge in genetics and shrinking etc...*

Dermie
02-06-2010, 07:12 PM

*super-scientist as defined in superhero comics as one that has wide knowledge in very differing fields a la Pym who has wide knowledge in genetics and shrinking etc...*

There is also Monica Rapaccini (she is multi-field, isn't she?). But yeah, the female scientists are pretty rare.

spunksf
02-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh, my love for Nightshade has gone on for years. I've been waiting patiently for some writer to recognize her potential, because she has heaps of it. And the afro-puffs rock.

Monty_Cristo
02-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Ruby Thursday & Augusta Seger

StoneGold
02-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Hard to take someone seriously when they have the same silhouette as Mickey Mouse.

Dermie
02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Hard to take someone seriously when they have the same silhouette as Mickey Mouse.

*lol* Good point...although I don't recall Mickey having quite so many curves... :wink:

Mark Titan 658
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Nightshade Johnson was one of the best villianeses in The Marvel Universe and one that would give guys like Eugene "Bull" Conner nightmares as well of the men who bombed a black church in Birmingham on September 15, 1963, when they go to hell, one like Nightshade Johnson will be there to meet them and the bad things will begin for men like Bull Conner.
Steve Engelhart & Alan Weiss gave The Marvel People a good character and she would look good in a 1957-59 MoPar Car. However because of her status, her car should be a black, 1957 Chrysler 300-C Hardtop Coupe & equipped with weapons with sci-fi gadgets.
Before Nightshade, there was "The Birmingham Angel" a black girl named Christine McKay who almost became the 5th girl who died on Birmingham Sunday & joined The Cult of Chaos & got herself a 1957 Plymouth Fury and killed 60 white people & 9 African Americans during her reign of terror and met her end at Garfield's Garage on 11/8/1963 and her car was destoryed and the last song played on the radio was "Locomotion" by Little Eva.
National Lampoon used to show shocking posters, here is one, Nightshade Johnson goes to Lincoln, NE & finds the grave marker of Charles Starkweather & lays a wreath on it. Nightshade is proof that bad things has and will continue long after the demise of spree killer, Charles Starkweather & Michael Jackson expired on the 50th Anniverary of his date with the electric chair in Nebraska.
Another shock poster is Nightshade putting a wreath on Bull Conner's grave and sing the song of "Dixie". Then go on her way.
Nightshade would be great to use in another movie like "Duel" but what car should Nightshade use? A 1952 Henney-Packard Hearse or a shiny black and silver tanker truck? Your guess is good as mine. Viva Nightshade Johnson.

Kieran_Frost
02-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Since it's Black History Month, let's bump this old thread. I still want Doctor Nightshade to play a bigger role at Marvel!

UltimateTy
02-04-2014, 08:48 AM
What book did she last appear in?

Talisman
02-04-2014, 09:33 AM
YAAAAAASSSSSSS ggggguuuuurrrrrlllll. Give it to me <3 <3 the Deadly Nightshade is fabulously fierce, hunny. She is in my top 5 Smartest Characters in Marvel. Give me them afropuffs to die for.

Kieran_Frost
02-04-2014, 09:50 AM
I think she was last in Villains for Hire (to my knowledge). She should have been running it, not just following orders! I want her to appear as a major villain; like Madam Masque or the Crimson Cowl!

YAAAAAASSSSSSS ggggguuuuurrrrrlllll. Give it to me <3 <3 the Deadly Nightshade is fabulously fierce, hunny. She is in my top 5 Smartest Characters in Marvel. Give me them afropuffs to die for.
I would love for her to revealed as the 12th smartest person on the planet (only because the "Top 10", I think, has been official told to us). She's self taught; which makes her knowledge and skill all the more amazing.

Hindsight lad
02-04-2014, 12:28 PM

I think she was last in Villains for Hire (to my knowledge). She should have been running it, not just following orders! I want her to appear as a major villain; like Madam Masque or the Crimson Cowl!

She was also one of the driving forces behind the Power Man mini series that came out during Shadowland. Its a great book.

I would love for her to revealed as the 12th smartest person on the planet (only because the "Top 10", I think, has been official told to us). She's self taught; which makes her knowledge and skill all the more amazing.

She's also worked with high end players like Yellow Claw and Superia, so who knows what kind of shenanigans she could get into if left to her own devices.

Hindsight lad

THANOSRULES
02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
She was indeed in villians for hire..she came off pretty good though. That book had potential.

Greg Anderson
02-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Didn't know writers were still using her. fell in love with her in the Black Panther issues she appeared in. She's an absolute delight.

FLEX HECTIC
02-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Just put her in the Black Panther book and let the sparks fly... This is a no brainer!

ed2962
02-05-2014, 03:46 AM
An obvious title for her to appear in would be Mighty Avengers, but that's almost too obvious.

I think she could work in Daredevil. Maybe Moon Knight but I don't know if Warren Ellis is going to be using many normal super-villains.

Kasper Cole
02-05-2014, 10:15 AM
She should be the villain equivalent of Night Nurse...

vitruvian
02-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Mostly the Happy Pants version of T'Challa, she didn't seem to care to much for the main version.

She needs to rededicate herself to Science! and Being Better at Being Good than Any of these Crackers, in that order, and take the place of one of the Illuminati, then solve the problem of the Incursions mostly single-handedly, all while seducing and then breaking up with both T'Challa and Black Swan.

vitruvian
02-05-2014, 11:05 AM

Nah, there are others (Monica Rapaccini, Superia, possibly June Covington)... but she may be the only female PoC super-scientist.

And why are all the female geniuses apparently bad guys?

namor
02-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Nah, there are others (Monica Rapaccini, Superia, possibly June Covington)... but she may be the only female PoC super-scientist.

Don't you know? Smart chicks are the devil!!!LOL

Kasper Cole
02-05-2014, 12:56 PM

All of them aren't bad guys.

People forget that Kitty Pryde is a genius as were Moria McTaggert, Suzi Endo, Valeria Richards, Sajani Jaffrey, and Bella Fishbach.

chamber-music
02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
I would like to see her get push into the big villains league. She her match wits with some of Marvels big brain heroes.

Wellman
02-05-2014, 08:10 PM
I do miss Nightshade, with the arise of A.I.M. and their scientists all over the Marvel globe, I'd hope to see someone dust her off and use her. Not only for her beauty and brains but as a decent old school not so irredeemable murderous or uber bad guy character.

edit:
http://www.writeups.org/img/inset/Deadly_Nightshade_h21.jpg

Kieran_Frost
02-06-2014, 03:17 AM
She was indeed in villians for hire..she came off pretty good though. That book had potential.
Agreed. It was a good showing.

She was also one of the driving forces behind the Power Man mini series that came out during Shadowland. Its a great book.
Oh really? Did it link in (her involvement) into the main event?

An obvious title for her to appear in would be Mighty Avengers, but that's almost too obvious.
I think she could work in Daredevil. Maybe Moon Knight but I don't know if Warren Ellis is going to be using many normal super-villains.
Agree Mighty is almost too obvious BUT she would be one of the few villains able to outsmart Blue Marvel; so I can see it working.

People forget that Kitty Pryde is a genius as were Moria McTaggert, Suzi Endo, Valeria Richards, Sajani Jaffrey, and Bella Fishbach.
And Dr. Kavita Rao, Moondragon, Starlight, Thena

Below is a list we made in another thread once...

THE SMARTEST WOMEN/GENIUS LEVEL
1. Athena, Goddess of Widsom
2. Deadly Nightshade [Dr. Tilda Johnson] (polymorph)
3. Dr. Kavita Rao
4. Dr. Moira MacTaggert
5. Monica Rappaccini (polymorph)
6. Ruby Thursday [Dr. Thursday Rubinstein]
7. Starlight [Dr. Tania Belinsky]
8. Superia [Dr. Deidra Wentworth] (polymorph)
9. Thena the Eternal
10. the Witch [Dr. June Covington]

VERY, VERY SMART/NEAR GENIUS
Alyssa Moy
Dr. Evelyn Necker
Lady Octopus [Carolyn Trainer] (polymorph?)
Maya Hansen
Miss Sinister [Claudine Renko]
MODAM
Moondragon [Heather Douglas]

STILL INCREDIBLY SMART
Blackbird [Heather O’Gara]
Danger
the Genegineer [Dr. Sasha Ryan]
Dr. Jean Grey
Kitty Pryde
Komodo
Mockingbird [Bobbi Morse]
Moonstone [Dr. Karla Sofen, M.D.]
Sage
Valeria Richards
Dr. Veronica Chase
the White Queen [Emma Frost]
Yellowjacket [Rita deMara]

Mr MajestiK
02-06-2014, 07:07 AM
I would like to see her get push into the big villains league. She her match wits with some of Marvels big brain heroes.

To be quite honest, I don't see why she should even continue being a villain.

It would be way cooler to have her become something of an anti-hero with her own set agenda and as she's already crossed swords with characters like T'Challa on both a physical and intellectual level, it would be even more interesting to see them matching wits against each other again and possibly reluctantly (at first) working together on a mutually beneficial project.

It's not as if T'Challa hasn't allied himself with villains before or since.

Kasper Cole
02-06-2014, 08:10 AM
To be quite honest, I don't see why she should even continue being a villain.

It would be way cooler to have her become something of an anti-hero with her own set agenda and as she's already crossed swords with characters like T'Challa on both a physical and intellectual level, it would be even more interesting to see them matching wits against each other again and possibly reluctantly (at first) working together on a mutually beneficial project.

It's not as if T'Challa hasn't allied himself with villains before or since.

Actually the thing that would make the most sense would be for her to be working with Cardiac. That seems like a no brainer of a team up.

vitruvian
02-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Kitty Pryde is definitely very smart and a great character, but it's a stretch to say she's a polymath supergenius along the lines of a Reed Richards or Hank Pym or Tony Stark, or even Hank McCoy. Moira was also great, but a bit more focused in one scientific area than we're really talking about. Same goes for Kavita Rao, even though you didn't mention her specifically.

Suzi Endo is definitely more in the running, as is Valeria already at her tender age. Sajani and Bella... need further development, both for us to see what they're really capable of, and to break out of the Spider-ghetto into the larger MU.

But Marvel definitely needs to either build up a few of these existing characters and make them credibly a match for the 'classic' SWM supergeniuses, or introduce some new female scientists on the side of the angels intended to be at that level from the get go, otherwise it'll keep looking like the MU needs more of a women in STEM initiative even than the real world.

vitruvian
02-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Agreed. It was a good showing.

Oh really? Did it link in (her involvement) into the main event?

Agree Mighty is almost too obvious BUT she would be one of the few villains able to outsmart Blue Marvel; so I can see it working.

And Dr. Kavita Rao, Moondragon, Starlight, Thena

Below is a list we made in another thread once...

THE SMARTEST WOMEN/GENIUS LEVEL
1. Athena, Goddess of Widsom
2. Deadly Nightshade [Dr. Tilda Johnson] (polymorph)
3. Dr. Kavita Rao
4. Dr. Moira MacTaggert
5. Monica Rappaccini (polymorph)
6. Ruby Thursday [Dr. Thursday Rubinstein]
7. Starlight [Dr. Tania Belinsky]
8. Superia [Dr. Deidra Wentworth] (polymorph)
9. Thena the Eternal
10. the Witch [Dr. June Covington]

VERY, VERY SMART/NEAR GENIUS
Alyssa Moy
Dr. Evelyn Necker
Lady Octopus [Carolyn Trainer] (polymorph?)
Maya Hansen
Miss Sinister [Claudine Renko]
MODAM
Moondragon [Heather Douglas]

STILL INCREDIBLY SMART
Blackbird [Heather O’Gara]
Danger
the Genegineer [Dr. Sasha Ryan]
Dr. Jean Grey
Kitty Pryde
Komodo
Mockingbird [Bobbi Morse]
Moonstone [Dr. Karla Sofen, M.D.]
Sage
Valeria Richards
Dr. Veronica Chase
the White Queen [Emma Frost]
Yellowjacket [Rita deMara]

For 'polymorph', did you mean 'polymath', possibly? Because I see that annotation for characters I didn't think were shapeshifters...

FLEX HECTIC
02-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Majestic whatchoo mean matching wits?:wink:

Reluctantly (at first)?:biggrin:

Just gone and say it... Right after B-Swizzy line her up as next in line on the T'challa to do list!:smile:

The real question is should T'challa hook up with her as some fetish for women that are borderline bad but really good at the core!

They both have T's in their first names so...

T'challa + Tilda = TnT

Let the sparks fly... Reluctantly at first though!

She should be a full timer in the Ally/Villain rogues gallery of the Black Panther as a peer, a friend and a foe with her own agendas before they lighten her skin up like Monica Rambeau!

Mr MajestiK
02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Majestic whatchoo mean matching wits?:wink:

Reluctantly (at first)?:biggrin:

Just gone and say it... Right after B-Swizzy line her up as next in line on the T'challa to do list!:smile:

The real question is should T'challa hook up with her as some fetish for women that are borderline bad but really good at the core!

They both have T's in their first names so...

T'challa + Tilda = TnT

Let the sparks fly... Reluctantly at first though!

She should be a full timer in the Ally/Villain rogues gallery of the Black Panther as a peer, a friend and a foe with her own agendas before they lighten her skin up like Monica Rambeau!

You know me Brotha FLEX HECTIC, always playing Bast's advocate.

Tilda Johnson + T'Challa would make a lot more sense than B-Swizzle = T'Challa, long term and with their past history as established during PRIEST's run, having Deadly Nightshade transition over to the Wakandan side would be a masterstroke move in more ways than one.

True that. ;)

FLEX HECTIC
02-06-2014, 08:26 PM
I hear you Majestic but the Fanbratti will be ever blocking on that one too!

True that...

tangentman
02-07-2014, 03:23 AM
Why hasn't Nightshade joined the Thunderbolts yet? She seems like a natural fit for that program!

Mr MajestiK
02-07-2014, 05:24 AM
I hear you Majestic but the Fanbratti will be ever blocking on that one too!

True that...

Frak the Fanbratti.

Real talk.

Kieran_Frost
02-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Why hasn't Nightshade joined the Thunderbolts yet? She seems like a natural fit for that program!
I would LOVE Tilda to join the Thunderbolts; she'd be a perfect fit! :smile: