PDA

View Full Version : Comics of the Week -- 11/25

AaronJ
11-29-2009, 10:17 AM
The comics of the week, from the past week, in order of quality:

Detective Comics #859: What a comic! We get quality background on Kate, and just more beautiful artwork from JHW3. This may be the best book on the shelves right now.

Superman: Secret Origin #3: So much damn fun. Every point is something you expect, but it's so well done. And Gary Frank's art is just gorgeous. Also, it's a damn funny book, as well.

Blackest Night #5: Oooh boy! It continues, and it is ROCKING! Johns and Reis put together one hell of a ride here. It just keeps going and going.

Green Lantern #48 (BN): A good lead-up to BN #5. Larfreeze is hilarious, Mahnke nails the artwork, and Hal is ... well, Hal. :) Good stuff all around.

Justice League: Cry For Justice #5: Holy! Cascioli's artwork is delicious. Kory and Donna should spend more time in bikinis. I love the characterization. And it has a great cliffhanger ending. A fun book, and it's beautiful.

Justice League of America #39 (BN): I'm glad to be reading this book again, with Robinson and Bagley coming on. Lots happens, and it's mostly good fun (in a Blackest Night sense). But the return of a beloved character makes it all the more wonderful. :)

Superman #694: I haven't been totally feeling this title lately, but this issue kicks back into high gear, with a great Mon-El story. It's touching and has a few excellent moments.

Teen Titans #77 (BN): This is a Deathstroke family story, and as I'm a huge Rose fan, I enjoyed it. I think that JT Krul's work in the Blackest Night books has been very enjoyable.

Wonder Woman #38: This didn't really do it for me. Lovely artwork from Lopresti, but I don't get the direction here. We're just going to have to see where it goes.

Haven't read yet: Arkham Asylum, Web of Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel.

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 10:42 AM
The comics of the week, from the past week, in order of quality:

Detective Comics #859: What a comic! We get quality background on Kate, and just more beautiful artwork from JHW3. This may be the best book on the shelves right now.

Superman: Secret Origin #3: So much damn fun. Every point is something you expect, but it's so well done. And Gary Frank's art is just gorgeous. Also, it's a damn funny book, as well.

Blackest Night #5: Oooh boy! It continues, and it is ROCKING! Johns and Reis put together one hell of a ride here. It just keeps going and going.

Green Lantern #48 (BN): A good lead-up to BN #5. Larfreeze is hilarious, Mahnke nails the artwork, and Hal is ... well, Hal. :) Good stuff all around.

Justice League: Cry For Justice #5: Holy! Cascioli's artwork is delicious. Kory and Donna should spend more time in bikinis. I love the characterization. And it has a great cliffhanger ending. A fun book, and it's beautiful.

Justice League of America #39 (BN): I'm glad to be reading this book again, with Robinson and Bagley coming on. Lots happens, and it's mostly good fun (in a Blackest Night sense). But the return of a beloved character makes it all the more wonderful. :)

Superman #694: I haven't been totally feeling this title lately, but this issue kicks back into high gear, with a great Mon-El story. It's touching and has a few excellent moments.

Teen Titans #77 (BN): This is a Deathstroke family story, and as I'm a huge Rose fan, I enjoyed it. I think that JT Krul's work in the Blackest Night books has been very enjoyable.

Wonder Woman #38: This didn't really do it for me. Lovely artwork from Lopresti, but I don't get the direction here. We're just going to have to see where it goes.

Haven't read yet: Arkham Asylum, Web of Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel.

Arkham Asylum was pretty good. Though I can't see how it'll wrap up in just one issue

AaronJ
11-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Arkham Asylum was pretty good. Though I can't see how it'll wrap up in just one issue

I really liked the first issue, just haven't gotten around to it this week, yet.

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 10:58 AM
I really liked the first issue, just haven't gotten around to it this week, yet.

Ah, well it's worth picking up when you get the chance.

Sorry to hear you didn't like WW #38. I've been enjoying the Warkiller arc so far...except for a few concerns about Alykone, and the unfortunate implications to the character.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
11-29-2009, 11:23 AM
While there've been some good/cool moments in "Warkiller" (the last page of #38, the bits with Ares & Giganta), it still feels overall-- compared to Gail's other big arcs-- like the runt of the litter.

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
While there've been some good/cool moments in "Warkiller" (the last page of #38, the bits with Ares & Giganta), it still feels overall-- compared to Gail's other big arcs-- like the runt of the litter.

I'm looking forward to whats's to come though. Gail's said over on the WW forums we'll be seeing a lot of her old foes returning and I can't wait to see her take on them:biggrin:

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
11-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh, I just remembered (forehead slap): I was also partial to the resolution to "Olympian's" leftover plot with Donna back in #37.

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh, I just remembered (forehead slap): I was also partial to the resolution to "Olympian's" leftover plot with Donna back in #37.

Yeah, it's nice to see that followed up on. Plus it gave us a very sweet Diana/Donna sisterhood moment

Free-Man
11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Enjoyed pretty much everything on that list except for CFJ. Surprisingly, JLA was a LOT better, at least in terms of characterization.

Detective was just completely mind blowing.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
11-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I have to say that it was a pretty cool suprise to see J'onn J'onnz showing up in Madame Xanadu.

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Enjoyed pretty much everything on that list except for CFJ. Surprisingly, JLA was a LOT better, at least in terms of characterization.

Detective is tied with Secret Six right now as the best comic DC does as far as I'm concerned. If I could only afford to buy two comics a month, those would be the two I chose:smile:

AaronJ
11-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Ah, well it's worth picking up when you get the chance.

Sorry to hear you didn't like WW #38. I've been enjoying the Warkiller arc so far...except for a few concerns about Alykone, and the unfortunate implications to the character.

Well, as you can see, I had a lot of comics this week. And between breaking my hand, going to the ER, going the hand doctor, Thanksgiving, and everything else, I just haven't gotten to all of them yet. :) I'll probably read them tonight.

As to WW, well ... as I said, I don't get it. Maybe I'm just missing it. I dunno. But it just doesn't seem like the real Diana to me.

Karl O'Neill
11-29-2009, 11:36 AM
1) Blackest Night

2)GL

3)Tec

4)Arkham

It was a fantastic week in terms of quality.

I refused to buy JLA but still mooched a red ring :biggrin: :cool:

AaronJ
11-29-2009, 11:36 AM

I'm one of the freaks that's enjoyed CFJ since the beginning. :) But I thought this was the best issue by far.

And JLA rocked, yeah. And the return of ... you know who ... made me laugh and smile and feel giddy!

I have to say that it was a pretty cool suprise to see J'onn J'onnz showing up in Madame Xanadu.

I keep meaning to pick up the trades of this. Maybe I'll order the first one tonight. Everyone pretty much says it is really good.

Free-Man
11-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Detective is tied with Secret Six right now as the best comic DC does as far as I'm concerned. If I could only afford to buy two comics a month, those would be the two I chose:smile:

They seriously rock. The art in both is stellar, and the writing is top notch. I seriously wanna work with both Nicola and JH at some point!

DubipR
11-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Top 3 Reads of the Week:

1. Madame Xanadu- Man, this title gets better and better.
2. Beasts of Burden #3- If you're not reading this book, do so! Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson are creating magic with this mini. Worth the pick up.
3. Northlanders- My man, Brian Wood spins another arc that's getting more and more exciting.

AaronJ
11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Top 3 Reads of the Week:

1. Madame Xanadu- Man, this title gets better and better.
2. Beasts of Burden #3- If you're not reading this book, do so! Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson are creating magic with this mini. Worth the pick up.
3. Northlanders- My man, Brian Wood spins another arc that's getting more and more exciting.

What's Beasts of Burden? I don't know that title at all.

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, as you can see, I had a lot of comics this week. And between breaking my hand, going to the ER, going the hand doctor, Thanksgiving, and everything else, I just haven't gotten to all of them yet. :) I'll probably read them tonight.

As to WW, well ... as I said, I don't get it. Maybe I'm just missing it. I dunno. But it just doesn't seem like the real Diana to me.

Ouch, sorry to har about your hand honey. Hope your feeling better now. And yeah, it's not surprising you didn't have time to read through them all with all that to deal with:frown:

They seriously rock. The art in both is stellar, and the writing is top notch. I seriously wanna work with both Nicola and JH at some point!

I hope you get the chance darling. Those two are some of the best artists at DC right now:biggrin:

DubipR
11-29-2009, 12:11 PM
What's Beasts of Burden? I don't know that title at all.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/13-834/Beasts-of-Burden-1

This should give you a synopsis

AaronJ
11-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Ouch, sorry to har about your hand honey. Hope your feeling better now. And yeah, it's not surprising you didn't have time to read through them all with all that to deal with:frown:

Heh. At least it's splinted so I can type semi-properly now. :) It's fine, though.

Thanks.

Coolness. Thank you.

DubipR
11-29-2009, 12:22 PM
No worries. Anything with dogs and cats solving mysteries, ala the Scooby Gang, is the shit. It's really good stuff.

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Heh. At least it's splinted so I can type semi-properly now. :) It's fine, though.

Thanks.

No worries:smile: Glad to hear you're doing better

That actually looks pretty interesting, I might have to check that title out

K-DoG7p7
11-29-2009, 01:28 PM

YEs.. any issue with Matter Eater Lad is awesome!

FeminineMystique
11-29-2009, 01:34 PM
YEs.. any issue with Matter Eater Lad is awesome!

He has the most insane super power of any character NOT created by Grant Morrison:tongue: