PDA

View Full Version : X-box 360: Now what?

Flash's Lightning
11-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Okay, I just bought a 360.

Now what? What are the best games for me to get?

Majinoaw
11-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Now you make sure you have a good waranty when that sucker overheats and you get the red eye of death. Don't even argue just prepare for it.

As for games ... what are you into? Left for Dead 2 is pretty decent... so is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

blueheed
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
My suggestions:

Fable 2 (maybe even get the downloadable first Fable) - Fun game to interact with the world in many different ways.
Halo 3 - I have never been a huge FPS player, but this game was very enjoyable
Fallout 3 - Amazing apocalyptic RPG/Action game (recently released in game of the year edition)

There are plenty of other great games, but these three would be the ones I'd recommend the most from my playing experience.

Blueheed

Jack
11-24-2009, 02:19 PM
If you're posting on this board the best answer is probably Batman: Arkham Asylum.

But what sort of games do you like and have you played anything on PC or another console?

Flash's Lightning
11-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Now you make sure you have a good waranty when that sucker overheats and you get the red eye of death. Don't even argue just prepare for it.

I heard about that. What's sad is that it's not "if" you get it, it's "when".

As for games ... what are you into? Left for Dead 2 is pretty decent... so is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

I like a variety. Silent Hill, though not a big Resident Evil fan. Halo/Halo 2. The Monkey Island Games. Final Fantasy series.

Donald M.
11-24-2009, 03:04 PM

What type of games do you like?

Personal recommendations (take them as you will):

Grand Theft Auto IV
Mass Effect
Prototype
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Borderlands
Ratchet & Clank: Nuts & Bolts
Lego Batman/Star Wars/Indiana Jones
Dead Space
Silent Hill Homecoming
Burnout Paradise
Earth Defense Force 2017
Dead Rising
The Orange Box (If, somehow, you haven't played any of those games already.)
Crackdown
Bioshock
Fallout 3

Flash's Lightning
11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
My suggestions:

Fable 2 (maybe even get the downloadable first Fable) - Fun game to interact with the world in many different ways.
Halo 3 - I have never been a huge FPS player, but this game was very enjoyable
Fallout 3 - Amazing apocalyptic RPG/Action game (recently released in game of the year edition)

There are plenty of other great games, but these three would be the ones I'd recommend the most from my playing experience.

Blueheed

Those sound like they'd be right for me - let me try out the Fable 1, and I'll go on to the second. Halo definitely = win. I've never heard of the Fallout series.

Flash's Lightning
11-24-2009, 03:06 PM
What type of games do you like?

Personal recommendations (take them as you will):

Grand Theft Auto IV
Mass Effect
Prototype
Borderlands
Ratchet & Clank: Nuts & Bolts
Lego Batman/Star Wars/Indiana Jones
Dead Space
Silent Hill Homecoming
Burnout Paradise
Earth Defense Force 2017
Dead Rising
The Orange Box (If, somehow, you haven't played any of those games already.)
Crackdown
Bioshock
Fallout 3

Cool, will look those up. Ratchet & Clank is a good series, though I didn't like the action oriented battle one as much. Lego games are always incredible. And I had no idea there was a Silent Hill for 360.

What is the Orange Box game? FPS?

carabas
11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
And I had no idea there was a Silent Hill for 360.There isn't. Well, Silent Hill in name only. Made by a bunch of americans who did not understand what made the first three games special.

What is the Orange Box game? FPS?It is Half-Life 2, HL2 Episode One and Two, Portal, and Team Fortress all bundled up.

But really, seeing as you like roleplaying games,
- Mass Effect
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Fallout 3
- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

All games that are sequels in theory are as stand-alone as a Final Fantasy game.

And in the survival horror genre, Condemned. It's an old one, you probably will have to get it second hand. Underrated classic. More Silent Hilley than Silent Hill: Homecoming.

Mike Pothier
11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
IGN's top 25 Xbox 360 games. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1045042p1.html)

DKR
11-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Astonishing X-Fan
11-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Cool, will look those up. Ratchet & Clank is a good series, though I didn't like the action oriented battle one as much. Lego games are always incredible. And I had no idea there was a Silent Hill for 360.

What is the Orange Box game? FPS?

He made a mistake, it's not Ratchet & Clank, that's on the PS3. He meant to say the new Banjo & Kazooie game.

Orange Box is a collection of games: Half-Life 2 and it's two episodic expansions, Team Fortress 2, and Portal. Very good bang for your buck.

sHayden
11-25-2009, 01:43 AM
somebody mentioned Dead Rising. Hell of a game for what it costs now. I'd recommend that.

Donald M.
11-25-2009, 07:03 AM
He made a mistake, it's not Ratchet & Clank, that's on the PS3. He meant to say the new Banjo & Kazooie game.

Orange Box is a collection of games: Half-Life 2 and it's two episodic expansions, Team Fortress 2, and Portal. Very good bang for your buck.

Oops, my mistake.

And yeah, I have the PC version of the Orange Box myself, but you can get the 360 version for around $20. An incredible deal for one of the best game compilations ever released.

Donald M.
11-25-2009, 07:04 AM
There isn't. Well, Silent Hill in name only. Made by a bunch of americans who did not understand what made the first three games special.

Maybe. All I know is I enjoyed Homecoming more than the last Silent Hill game.

jesse_custer
11-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Don't forget awesome downloadable games like Castle Crashers.

I also recommend Fallout 3.

Flash's Lightning
11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Don't forget awesome downloadable games like Castle Crashers

I'll have to forget it, no broadband connection in my area, and satellite isn't made for games (and sucks to boot).

carabas
11-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Maybe. All I know is I enjoyed Homecoming more than the last Silent Hill game.The last real Silent Hill game was SH 3. Everything that came after it(The Room, Origins, and Homecoming) were not in the same league.

jesse_custer
11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
I'll have to forget it, no broadband connection in my area, and satellite isn't made for games (and sucks to boot).

You don't have to play it online. I actually don't have Internet at my apartment, so I take my 360 to a friend's house and download games there.

Flash's Lightning
11-25-2009, 08:29 AM
You don't have to play it online. I actually don't have Internet at my apartment, so I take my 360 to a friend's house and download games there.

...you can do that? Does it work with my PS3 too? :redface:

jesse_custer
11-25-2009, 08:34 AM
...you can do that? Does it work with my PS3 too? :redface:

I don't have a PS3. But yeah, you have to hook up your 360 to a friend's Internet and use your credit/debit card to purchase Microsoft Points to get games.

Castle Crashers is great because it's an old-school beat-'em-up polished beyond belief. Incredible two-player game.

Chiasm
12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd recommend in this order:

Oblivion - great fantasy RPG game
Fallout 3 - like Oblivion but in a post nuclear apocalypse world
Mass Effect - great Sci Fi RPG

Other than Madden I play mostly RPG's so I can't really recommend other types of games.

Donald M.
12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
The last real Silent Hill game was SH 3. Everything that came after it(The Room, Origins, and Homecoming) were not in the same league.

No, the last real Silent Hill game was Homecoming.

The last Silent Hill game you liked was part 3.

Which, by the way, I found underwhelming. Anything would be a let down after the brilliance of part 2 though.

hayden
12-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Try

GTA 4 Classic Edition
Street Fighter 4
COD MW2
Assassins Creed 2

Chris S.
12-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I heard about that. What's sad is that it's not "if" you get it, it's "when".

I like a variety. Silent Hill, though not a big Resident Evil fan. Halo/Halo 2. The Monkey Island Games. Final Fantasy series.

They claim to have fixed the XBox issues in the 360s post a certain date. I don't know that I by it but it is promising. I'm currently on my third that seems to be going strong.

If you like FPS games and RPGs than you picked the right system. There is a fairly large handful of great games that combine the two. Borderlands has been a blast. It also has up to four player co op (you have to get XBox live though, I feel that goes without saying. And I don't just mean for the co op I mean in general. Fallout 3 also takes some great RPG elements.

Dead Space isn't totally RPG but it has some elements. It is a superb game. It is third person though. Really a unique game. I've never like Resident Evil, but people do compare some elements of it to Resident Evil. I think mostly because it is a horror game.

I'd also suggest MOdern Warfare 2. The multiplayer has some RPG elements too it too. You get experience based on challenges. That is how weapons get unlocked. It's a lot of fun.

Those sound like they'd be right for me - let me try out the Fable 1, and I'll go on to the second. Halo definitely = win. I've never heard of the Fallout series.

As far as Fable goes I never really enjoyed the first. I know that is blasphemous but I just didn't. It also feels really clunky to me playing it now. However, I would say Fable 2 was probably the best game to come out since Ocarina of Time. That is saying a lot since thats the game that turned me into a gamer.

Donald M.
12-04-2009, 11:57 AM
As far as Fable goes I never really enjoyed the first. I know that is blasphemous but I just didn't. It also feels really clunky to me playing it now. However, I would say Fable 2 was probably the best game to come out since Ocarina of Time. That is saying a lot since thats the game that turned me into a gamer.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but 2 was definitely an improvement on the first. You don't need to have played the first to understand part 2, so I'd say skip it.

giovedi
12-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I just got an XBox as well. I have Borderlands and Left 4 Dead 2... pretty fun stuff if you like shooters. Borderlands is a "Role Playing Shooter", so there's always something to do.

If possible, I would get Fallout 3 on PC. Bethesda allows fans to really mod that game up and it becomes even more fun.

jesse_custer
12-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Really a unique game. I've never like Resident Evil, but people do compare some elements of it to Resident Evil. I think mostly because it is a horror game.

It's influenced by Resident Evil 4 in particular.

Jeff-E
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
If you like survival horror go with Dead Space. One of the best in this genre I've played on the newer gen systems.

RPG fan? I'd say go with Oblivion, its fantastic, and addictive. Plus you can get the GotY edition with Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles for only about 20 bucks.

Sci-Fi- The Orange box fantastic compilation and worth it if nothing else for Portal. Yes, the cake is a lie.

Swords and Sorcery- Fable 2, good story easy to start (so far, I just started playing this myself).

Fighting Games- Mortal Kombat vs DC, more in the vein of the first few Mortal Kombat games but incorperates a short story mode. There are tons of other good games but these are some great ones (IMO) that you can pick up and start playing for 20 bucks or less a piece at Gamestop or Pawn Shops, cause if you're like me bargain games are your best friend. Yeah, it keeps me about 6 months or so behind on games but lets face it, there are worse things in life.

malephoenix
12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
There are tons of other good games but these are some great ones (IMO) that you can pick up and start playing for 20 bucks or less a piece at Gamestop or Pawn Shops, cause if you're like me bargain games are your best friend. Yeah, it keeps me about 6 months or so behind on games but lets face it, there are worse things in life.

Seriously. I'm looking forward to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum once it dips down to around 25 bucks. I'm all about saving money, even if it costs me a delay in staying "up-do-date."

SpydaWeb
12-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Seriously. I'm looking forward to playing Batman: Arkham Asylum once it dips down to around 25 bucks. I'm all about saving money, even if it costs me a delay in staying "up-do-date."

Saw it for 10 bucks online the other day. Free shipping and everything. Keep an eye on Slickdeals.net, there's always great game deals on there.

Redseed
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
earth defense force 2017
oblivion
fallout 3
mass effect
halo
call of duty(any)
shadow complex
bejeweled 2

Simbob4000
12-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I heard about that. What's sad is that it's not "if" you get it, it's "when". I like a variety. Silent Hill, though not a big Resident Evil fan. Halo/Halo 2. The Monkey Island Games. Final Fantasy series. They have an HD Monkey Island remake on Live.

jessecuster3
12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Shadow Complex
Trials HD
'Splosion Man
Castle Crashers
The Maw

And they are all less than $20 and downloadable.