PDA

View Full Version : Villains: Okay, Let's Go The Other Way

Flying Saucers Over Oz
10-19-2009, 05:43 PM
What Pre-Crisis... I stress Pre-Crisis, let's not get all nasty... Wonder Woman villain do you hope Gail does NOT bring back?

BnL
10-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Duke of Deception. Between Ares (and his children) and Dr. Psycho, he's kind of irrelevant now.

Mars Getsoian
10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Duke of Deception. Between Ares (and his children) and Dr. Psycho, he's kind of irrelevant now.

Seconded. He pretty much was updated and reintroduced post-Crisis... in the form of Phobos and Deimos and Eris. Post-Crisis has been a lot cleaner, more coherent and more faithful about its use of classical mythology, and the Duke would throw a really annoying, out-of-place, and gratuitous wrench into those works.

Crimson Knightman
10-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Veronica Cale

Constantine Drakon
10-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Thirded. No need for a poor man's Dr. Psycho.

Sijo
10-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Warhead. That guy was laaaaame.

Nyssane
10-19-2009, 07:32 PM
What's with the Duke hate?! I love Deception. He works like Dr. Psycho but at a Godly level. Psycho's illusions don't even work on Wonder Woman anymore, it would be a perfect opportunity to re-introduce Deception into the mix.

ScottyQuick
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
What's with the Duke hate?! I love Deception. He works like Dr. Psycho but at a Godly level. Psycho's illusions don't even work on Wonder Woman anymore, it would be a perfect opportunity to re-introduce Deception into the mix.

By making one of the few Wondy foes treated with respect redundant?

Constantine Drakon
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
What's with the Duke hate?!

Because his powers overlap in a big way with one of her few good foes.

Psycho's illusions don't even work on Wonder Woman anymore, it would be a perfect opportunity to re-introduce Deception into the mix.

Or we could give Psycho a power boost so that his illusions work on Wonder Woman again (although allowing him to mind control her would definitely be a no-no).

He works like Dr. Psycho but at a Godly level.

So bringing him back, the way you describe it, would make Psycho basically second-fiddle.

Pass.

Bound4olympus
10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
I think with Dr. Psycho as a premire WW foe he should be the only Dr. I know a lot of you like Dr. Poison and Dr. Cyber but I think they should be renamed. Maybe as a throw back they could keep thier original personal identities and just go by Poison and Cyber. It just seems overkill to have a Dr. Psycho, Dr. Cyber and Dr. Poison. Enough we get it. you all have PhD.s

Nyssane
10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
By making one of the few Wondy foes treated with respect redundant?

One of the Wondy foes that needs a break, yes. Dr. Psycho has appeared way too much that he's lost his mystique. Deception on the other hand is a clean slate, and simply because he has illusion powers doesn't mean he has to go the same direction as Psycho.

Vigo the Carpathian
10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd actually say Hypnota, but for the exact same reasons as the Duke of Deception, so no, I wouldn't want him back either.

What's with the Duke hate?!

Hate? Who said they hate him?

One of the Wondy foes that needs a break, yes.

If Dr. Psycho needs a break, then surely having another character around with essentially the same powers would result in people going "the illusion casting-stuff needs a break". Which would mean we'd need even longer breaks in between Psycho appearances to make him feel fresh.

Dr. Psycho has appeared way too much that he's lost his mystique. Deception on the other hand is a clean slate, and simply because he has illusion powers doesn't mean he has to go the same direction as Psycho.

At the moment, Psycho's probably the only Wonder Woman villain that I'd say doesn't need a major overhaul. I'd be very much against bringing back any villains that share his abilities and step on the toes of the one villain we've got that makes me go "he's perfect, don't touch a thing".

I'd also be against bringing back any immortal witches (especially ones with "bestiamorph" abilities), people that can turn into giants, or cat-people.

Phil Jimenez
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
The Crimson Centipede would be a tough reboot, I think. And so would the Glop.

rainbowcloak
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Baronness Paula Von Gunther..

It could be a descendant, or perhaps she has discovered secrets of long life and is building the new Fourth Reich... Wonder Woman needs Nazis as villains, not merely as a throwback salute, but they could be pawns of Ares as well. In fact, a Gunther family, might not be a bad idea either.

And of course I think Paula Von Gunther and Captain Nazi would make a great couple... I know Capt. Nazi is in Captain Marvel's rogues gallery, but Nazis are Nazis...

Mr Prince
10-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't really need to see the Paper Man anytime soon.

BnL
10-20-2009, 03:26 PM

I actually think that, during the PAD Young Justice era, those villains (and the aforementioned Paper Man) could have been used as fun/goofy enemies for Cassie. But in the new age of grim and gritty superheroes, that ship has obviously sailed.

Flying Saucers Over Oz
10-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Actually, I think those two we can pretty much count on. Sooner or later, some joker's gonna decide it'll be really cute to bring them back...

And no, the Glop cameo in the AMBUSH BUG limited series doesn't count. For one thing, he wasn't talking in rhyme...

Constantine Drakon
10-20-2009, 07:44 PM

Never underestimate the power of a good makeover.

http://asylums.insanejournal.com/scans_daily/611421.html

Mr Prince
10-20-2009, 08:52 PM
OK, "Even Jimmy Olsen can kill Ares!" made me laugh out loud.

Mr. Kent
10-20-2009, 10:53 PM
I hate being negative, but the few villains I wouldn't care to see again would be "Them!" (you know who I mean)

pariah-1972
10-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Angle Man?