PDA

View Full Version : Want to Know the New JLA Line-Up? (SPOILERS!)

4PointOh
09-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Donna Troy
Mon-El
Batman (Dick Grayson)
Doctor Light
Green Arrow
The Atom (not sure which one)
Cyborg
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Starfire
The Guardian
Congorilla

The line-up is revealed in this week's JLA in-house ad.

SJNeal
09-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Hmmm. Not great, not horrible. I like Guardian well enough in the Super-titles right now, but I'm not sure I want to see him in the League. And while I love all the Titans characters listed, I'm not sure I want them in the League either... :confused: I'd much prefer a readable Titans title with Dick, Donna, Kory and Vic. Congorilla I'm completely indifferent about.

PabloD
09-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Something I'm not quite sure I understand: why can't Wonder Woman be in the JLA? I mean, I get Superman and Batman, in a way, but WW? She's not dead or on another planet at the moment.

4PointOh
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Something I'm not quite sure I understand: why can't Wonder Woman be in the JLA? I mean, I get Superman and Batman, in a way, but WW? She's not dead or on another planet at the moment.

I know Dan DiDio has been talking about, quite often, how he wants the League to be comprised of heroes who aren't, for the most part, tied to other books. Batman, Green Lantern, and Green Arrow are exceptions here, though.

The Chief5425
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Sigh...I just know it's going to be Ray Palmer. Wherefore art thou, Ryan Choi?

Oh well, as long as at least one character hollers "Justice!" every page. That's the important thing.

Alan2099
09-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Oh well, as long as at least one character hollers "Justice!" every page. That's the important thing.
I think that should be the role of Justice Lantern. He's going to lead the Justice Justifiers of Justice with his magical Justice ring.

And that's exactly how I want his dialog to read.

PabloD
09-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I know Dan DiDio has been talking about, quite often, how he wants the League to be comprised of heroes who aren't, for the most part, tied to other books. Batman, Green Lantern, and Green Arrow are exceptions here, though.

Some rather massive ones, I think. Isn't Mon-El starring in the Superman books, as well?

Mr Prince
09-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Didio also mentions in the 20 Questions column that the League may be expanded to more members, who will rotate in/have focus for different adventures.

I'm down with the line up and I'll give it a try–at least it's diverse. Hard to judge it without reading the first storyline. It's all about characterization for me, so fingers crossed for Mr. Robinson to deliver.

VDCNI
09-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I thought Vixen was going to stay a member?

Can't say I'm loving the lineup - Donna, Starfire, Dr Light & Bats are the only ones I care about.

SJNeal
09-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Can't say I'm loving the lineup - Donna, Starfire, Dr Light & Bats are the only ones I care about.

Oh yeah! What happened to that? I was finally coming around to the character after having her shoved down our throats for the last 3 yrs... :wink:

spark627
09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
While I am happy Donna will be included, why not just make a good Titans book instead of turning the Titans into the JLA?

I dunno, I'll give it a try.

meek?
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM

Hear, hear!

And that sucks that Vixen didn't make the cut. Back to obscurity for one o' my faves.

Peace.

Nevets F
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM

There are apparently rumors she will be leading a second team of the Justice League.

The Chief5425
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM
While I am happy Donna will be included, why not just make a good Titans book instead of turning the Titans into the JLA?

This I actually don't mind. DC has been about legacy heroes moving into the spotlight for some time now, so I like the idea of Donna and Dick involved. Wish it were Roy instead of Ollie too, for that matter.

meek?
09-16-2009, 11:49 AM

I also agree w/ this. The Titans shoulda been Justice League level by now by themselves.

Peace.

Firebaton
09-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Well I will be picking this up if only because Donna is a member.
Sad to see that it was Starfire and not Fire in the teaser image, I was holding onto a kernel of hope on that one. Also not happy that Vixen, Zatanna or Black Canary aren't on the team. Oh well, it has Donna so I'll buy it. I mean I bought every issue of Countdown I can buy this. haha.

4PointOh
09-16-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090914-didio-20answers.html

DiDio: It's interesting, for Justice League, one of the versions everybody seems to refer to is the time when Len Wein was writing the book. That's one of the reasons we just recently went back to Len on the series. Everyone seems to refer to his team as a benchmark, from around Issue #100 to #114. And in those days, what you would have is a team somewhere from 14 to 18 members, but you wouldn't see them all in every issue. You'd see a combination of characters moving in and out depending on the story being told. It wasn't that people were joining or quitting; it was just focusing on who was participating in an event at a particular time.

That's some of what James is going to be doing, so the League seems larger than it has been in the past. It doesn't mean that every single character is going to be in every single issue. But we have expanded the roster to take advantage of former Justice League members, current Titan members, and also characters who will have an important impact on the DC Universe in the very near future. So you really have an interesting mix of characters coming together. And we'll be revealing them slowly over the next few months as we are building toward Mark Bagley and James Robinson taking over the book with Issue #38.

spark627
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Sad to see that it was Starfire and not Fire in the teaser image, I was holding onto a kernel of hope on that one. Also not happy that Vixen, Zatanna or Black Canary aren't on the team. Oh well, it has Donna so I'll buy it. I mean I bought every issue of Countdown I can buy this. haha.

Yea, I am happy for Donna but Dinah (at least) should have been given a chance to redeem herself. Instead she is stuck in the craptastic world of GA/BC. Starfire, Cyborg... eh I could do without.

scandalsavage
09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Yea, I am happy for Donna but Dinah (at least) should have been given a chance to redeem herself. Instead she is stuck in the craptastic world of GA/BC. Starfire, Cyborg... eh I could do without.

And with the drop in circulation that GA/BC has had again you have to wonder how long she'll even have that.

And no Zatanna in JLA either.

Fishnets are a bad luck totem in DC these days.

spark627
09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
And with the drop in circulation that GA/BC has had again you have to wonder how long she'll even have that.

And no Zatanna in JLA either.

Fishnets are a bad luck totem in DC these days.

But at least Zatanna is getting her own series. Dinah is stuck being Oliver's damsel in a horrible book that will prob be cancelled soon.

Mart
09-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Cheers Bobby!

Donna Troy - hurray
Mon-El - fab
Batman (Dick Grayson) - overexposed
Doctor Light -fun
Green Arrow -bored
The Atom (not sure which one) - Ryan please
Cyborg - good, let him go a year without getting smashed up
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) - sick of him, I miss Kyle
Starfire - bland
The Guardian - token weak chap
Congorilla - hah!

Really, though, this team doesn't say Justice League to me, it says League/Titans team-up. I do hope the likes of Firestorm, Vixen, Fire, Ice, Reddy, Vixen and Zee show up. Heck, I'd even rather see someone like Maya than all those Grown Titans.

SJNeal
09-16-2009, 01:57 PM

I'd love to see Fire back in the JLA! As far as I know she's been in limbo since Checkmate ended. I'd love to see Rucka do something else with her, or even Gail. An issue of WW guest starring all the former JL ladies would be nice!!! (hint, hint) :wink:

Bo-Man
09-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I love this line up. I am ready for this. About time Cyborg got some time in the JLA

PabloD
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
What I'd really like is to see a JLA team with Superman, Wonder Woman and the Dick Grayson Batman. I think it'd be cool to have a Batman with a sunnier disposition on the team, one who respects and/or looks up to his teammates and has no problem deferring to them. Plus, it'd be nice to see Superman and Wonder Woman come to grips with the fact that Dick is Batman (have we seen them do that at all so far?), and in a team setting.

ryerye17
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I called them al! except for cyborg.

LittleMissVixen
09-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Interesting line-up.....I hope Vixen isn't shipped off to limbo. Maybe she can star in some Wonder Woman back-up stories ;)

vanityman
09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
i think there'll be a companion book with superman, wonder woman, black canary, flash, zatanna, vixen, red tornado and maybe aquaman

Free-Man
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I love how people are talking about how awesome this roster is, yet they bitched and moaned about McDuffie filling out his roster with his C-list pet characters.

Yes, because Guardian and Congorilla certainly aren't C-list pet characters for Robinson....

Mart
09-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I pretty much loved Dwayne's JLA, and Len is doing a terrific job too.

rhea
09-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, it's in my subscription folder at my local comic store, so I guess I'll be getting it. I'm neither thrilled or displeased at the new line up.

shanejayell
09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I pretty much loved Dwayne's JLA, and Len is doing a terrific job too.

Sadly, the new run is by neither of them.

VERY so/so about this.

RealWonderman
09-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Woulda been happier without Starfire. For some reason, I can take the others as legacy heroes (Dick and Donna...and I was REALLY excited about that) and Cyborg was in the Superfriends: Galactic Guardians cartoon, so he's always been league to me (I know, I know) but the addition of Starfire makes this club feel less exclusive for me...don't know exactly why...I was really happy when she said no, actually.

EricAD
09-19-2009, 04:21 AM
this is SUCH a temp JLA anyway, it almost doesn't even matter. Let's face it...DC is killing time until maybe a year from now, When Bruce will be back as Batman, Kal-El will be back on Earth as Superman, Barry as the Flash is firmly re-established, and (this is just a good guess) J'onn and Aquaman and re-born after Blackest Night. Then we will have the Big 7 back, just in time for the rumored re-launch of JLA under Geoff Johns and Jim Lee (well, I am doubtful on the Jim Lee part, but odds are very good on the Geoff Johns part) I think having members of the classic Titans graduate to JLA status is a bit more interesting than just another JLA line up of the same second stringers we always get (Zatanna, Red Tornado, Firestorm, Vixen, etc....not that I don't like those guys mind you)

Actually, what I hope is we get two JL books soon...maybe a core title with the Big 7 (plus maybe Green Arrow and some others) and a book with a larger JLA cast kind of how JSA has been. I think that would be a great place for the adult Titans (and a place for more interaction with their mentors) I like the idea of a larger rotating cast like back in the day. Of course, if they do this it makes the Titans title even more reduntant than before.

Free-Man
09-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Actually, what I hope is we get two JL books soon...maybe a core title with the Big 7 (plus maybe Green Arrow and some others) and a book with a larger JLA cast kind of how JSA has been. I think that would be a great place for the adult Titans (and a place for more interaction with their mentors) I like the idea of a larger rotating cast like back in the day. Of course, if they do this it makes the Titans title even more reduntant than before.

The Big 7 theory is vastly overrated. Who NEEDS Aquaman anyway? He certainly isn't integral to the team.

EricAD
09-19-2009, 05:50 AM
The Big 7 theory is vastly overrated. Who NEEDS Aquaman anyway? He certainly isn't integral to the team.

Well, you don't NEED any of them...but like it or not, Aquaman is a JLA founder, and more or less a household name because of Super Friends. I also liked the character a lot when written by Peter David as well as Grant Morrison in JLA.

I think a new book focusing on the Big 7 would be very interesting at this point in time, because (assuming that Aquaman and J'onn return soon) this would be the first time all 7 original members shared a team book since...what...1982? Before even? Also, all seven founders have something in common now, as all have died and come back (as opposed to just presumed dead which every comic book character has been at some point) There would be fun stuff to play with there. I don't know what that story is, but there has to be a story there.

I think there is also just something to that line-up...certain teams who go through a lot of changes and permutations always have that one certain line up that is just iconic and always works...the X-Men have the 1975-83 Claremont/Byrne team, the Titans have the 80's Perez team, etc. There is a certain "it" factor the Big 7 has. Even when Wally substitued for Barry and Kyle was in Hal's place (in that bad 90's outfit) the idea of those 7 just clicked.

gbshabo
09-19-2009, 06:06 AM
I have a strong feeling we'll see another JLA title by Johns with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barry Allen Flash, John Stewart Green Lantern, and the rebirth of the Martian Manhunter, with Vixen as well.

Free-Man
09-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Well, you don't NEED any of them...but like it or not, Aquaman is a JLA founder, and more or less a household name because of Super Friends. I also liked the character a lot when written by Peter David as well as Grant Morrison in JLA.

I think a new book focusing on the Big 7 would be very interesting at this point in time, because (assuming that Aquaman and J'onn return soon) this would be the first time all 7 original members shared a team book since...what...1982? Before even? Also, all seven founders have something in common now, as all have died and come back (as opposed to just presumed dead which every comic book character has been at some point) There would be fun stuff to play with there. I don't know what that story is, but there has to be a story there.

I think there is also just something to that line-up...certain teams who go through a lot of changes and permutations always have that one certain line up that is just iconic and always works...the X-Men have the 1975-83 Claremont/Byrne team, the Titans have the 80's Perez team, etc. There is a certain "it" factor the Big 7 has. Even when Wally substitued for Barry and Kyle was in Hal's place (in that bad 90's outfit) the idea of those 7 just clicked.

I don't like the idea of excluding other Leaguers in order to maintain some sort of sense of nostalgia. Even Morrison, the writer who is often credited with the rebirth of the Big 7, added Zauriel, Steel, Connor Hawke, Azteck, Plastic Man, and Huntress very early on in his run.

CarolStrick
09-19-2009, 06:22 AM
imho, JL (no A) should be Superman, Batman, WW, Flash, GL. Period. DC's big guns and no more. This is not the Legion of Justice League.

In my personal "if I were in charge" universe, I'd have the JL overseeing a bunch of specialty squads. Batman's would be the one specializing in undercover work (like the Legion's Espionage Squad), the Superman gang would deal with strong-arm first defense, WW's people would handle prevention, GL gets first look at the interstellar threats, and Flash... Uh... His folks get to do the dishes. Quickly. Okay, maybe they'd go after run-of-the mill supervillains. On occasion the leaders would get together to go after some uber-threat, but for the most part it'd be a fun, mega-B&B deal with the teams rotating so no one gets over-exposed.

But I am ecstatic that Donna Troy FINALLY gets JLA membership. I mean, she supposedly was Wonder Woman for a full year, and she's had ages of being DC's most efficient team player. How it must have galled her when EVERY ONE of the original (plus Speedy) TT has had some kind of JL affiliation EXCEPT her!

Hope she's spectacular. Go, Donna, go!

Free-Man
09-19-2009, 06:35 AM
imho, JL (no A) should be Superman, Batman, WW, Flash, GL. Period. DC's big guns and no more. This is not the Legion of Justice League.

Even within the story, they've pointed out that it's far better to have more than just a few "icons" on the team.

VDCNI
09-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't get the big seven love - I mean in the early days Batman & Superman only really showed up at the end in most stories and by the time they were playing a full part in the team Green Arrow and Atom had joined. Morrison didn't focus on just the big seven for that long either.

This line up looks ok though Guardian and Congorilla shouldn't be there and it's been a long time since Cyborg was an interesting character.

It does sound like we're getting another team quite soon though - hopefully Vixen won't be abandoned again and I'd love to see Mera join up. She's possibly the most ill treated of all DC's female characters.

Hyperion322
09-19-2009, 06:50 AM

I like the lineup, minus Congorilla, just worried about what will happen to the rest of the Titans who remain on Titans Island in NYC. I hate the idea of the family splitting apart again.

Donna and the others most definitely deserve a shot at showing the world that they are the World's Greatest Heroes, but there's no reason the Titans as a team could have shown that.

I'm happy Dr. Light is remaining a member, but yeah, bummed that Vixen seems to be taking time off. Hopefully, as suggested elsewhere on this board, we'll see more of Mari soon!

~ Hype

Free-Man
09-19-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't get the big seven love - I mean in the early days Batman & Superman only really showed up at the end in most stories and by the time they were playing a full part in the team Green Arrow and Atom had joined. Morrison didn't focus on just the big seven for that long either.

Exactly.

[QUOTE]This line up looks ok though Guardian and Congorilla shouldn't be there and it's been a long time since Cyborg was an interesting character.

It does sound like we're getting another team quite soon though - hopefully Vixen won't be abandoned again and I'd love to see Mera join up. She's possibly the most ill treated of all DC's female characters[/IMG]

Guardian, Dr. Light, and Congorilla are only there because they are Robinson's pet heroes. I love Cyborg, but I suspect he is there because he's the team's new token black.

And I love that Donna is going to be leading apparently. Now we have TWO Wonder Girls leading teams!

Alan2099
09-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I always felt Aquaman felt more like part of the Big 7 than martian manhunter did. There's tons of characters I think would fill the spot better than he would.

Free-Man
09-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I always felt Aquaman felt more like part of the Big 7 than martian manhunter did. There's tons of characters I think would fill the spot better than he would.

Ultimately, I just think the idea of the Big 7 in general is just ridiculous. The book sold fine during the relaunch when neither Aquaman or J'onn were present. The book went through large periods where Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, and Wally West replaced Hal and Barry, and it still sold just fine.

I mean, yeah, Aquaman is well known, but he's more famous as a punchline than an actual hero, as his string of flopped books will attest. And has Martian Manhunter ever had a series? If we're gonna talk about Aquaman being an "Icon" thanks to TV, I could also argue that the Wonder Twins and Static should be in the Big Ten, as they two are well known thanks to TV. But wouldn ANYONE want to see that?

galactica
09-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Ultimately, I just think the idea of the Big 7 in general is just ridiculous. The book sold fine during the relaunch when neither Aquaman or J'onn were present. The book went through large periods where Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, and Wally West replaced Hal and Barry, and it still sold just fine.

I mean, yeah, Aquaman is well known, but he's more famous as a punchline than an actual hero, as his string of flopped books will attest. And has Martian Manhunter ever had a series? If we're gonna talk about Aquaman being an "Icon" thanks to TV, I could also argue that the Wonder Twins and Static should be in the Big Ten, as they two are well known thanks to TV. But wouldn ANYONE want to see that?

I think part of the idea of the big seven has to do with who is leading the big franchises. Characters who can carry their own title. Wally and Kyle were at the top of their corners of the DCU. Manhunter gets a pass because he is always seen as the "heart" of the JLA. I think the "big seven" would sell more just because most of them carry an ongoing title.

And I think you are not giving Aquaman enough credit. How long was Static Shock on? How long was the Static series published?

4PointOh
09-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Vote on what you think about the new line-up here:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090919-JLA-Weekend-Poll.html

Free-Man
09-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I think part of the idea of the big seven has to do with who is leading the big franchises. Characters who can carry their own title. Wally and Kyle were at the top of their corners of the DCU. Manhunter gets a pass because he is always seen as the "heart" of the JLA. I think the "big seven" would sell more just because most of them carry an ongoing title.

And I think you are not giving Aquaman enough credit. How long was Static Shock on? How long was the Static series published?

I don't dislike Aquaman or anything, I'm just being more realistic about it. Aside from his 90's book (which tanked as soon as PAD left), Aquaman has never been all that big a seller. If we are going to say that only the characters with the big franchises should be allowed in the JLA, I'd think that one of the Green Arrows should definately have Orin's spot on the team, or Hawkman or something. This has nothing to do with whether or not a character is good, butr I just think the idea of the Big 7 is BS.

As myself and others have pointed out, the book has sold well without some key members of the 7, and various writers including Grant Morrison have felt keen to expand or change up the roster relatively early.

As for Static, his show lasted four seasons, and his solo lasted 45 issues I think.

Dream Boy
09-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Very happy for Donna, Kori, and Dr. Light. This might make me a JLA regular again, at least until the next re-shuffling.

jason_w
09-19-2009, 01:12 PM
It's not the Justice League without the big guns, but I do think that you need 3, maybe 4 B or C characters for development and cannon fodder since a writer really can't do anything with the one's that have their own book.

Overall I'm not that crazy about the new line-up except for Donna getting a membership. Nothing much has been done with her since Countdown that I'm aware of, and Titans is a hot mess.

Justice League is one of the few titles along with WW, that are on my "never drop" list, so I've stuck with it through good and bad. I have to admit it looks like it might be interesting.

Let's see where this goes.

Raven Of Rhiannon
09-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Wasn't Batwoman originally part of Robinson's lineup, or did I just dream that?

IvCNuB4
09-21-2009, 07:55 AM
She'll be in the "Cry For Justice" mini soon ....

cockrumfan
09-21-2009, 09:05 AM
until recently, J'onn was considered the heart of the league, and judging by what's happened recently without him, that's probably true. He's more powerful than Superman, more unpredictable than Plastic Man, and a better tactician than Bruce. Why shouldn't he be on the team?
Personally, I'm not crazy about the lineup, but I trust Robinson. Guardian is a Kirby character and should be used more, and Congorilla is a golden age character and Robinson can do a lot with that. After Meltzer's short run, and McDuffie's run that I hated, I'm actually looking forward to the league. And I hope they don't do another monthly JLA book.

leagueofone
09-21-2009, 09:18 AM
I have no interest in this line-up whatsoever and won't be buying the book.

If I wanted to read the Titans I'd buy the Titans.

Too bad for Dr. Light who I like, but they stuck her in the 3rd rate league of America.:confused:

loneangel74
09-21-2009, 09:30 AM
I remember reading on one of the comic book news sites that there were going to be two Justice League books spinning out of "Cry for Justice." Is that still the case? I know that Dan Didio made reference to the Titans book being closely tied to the revamped Justice League, but as to who will comprise the Titan team I have not a clue!! I am intrigued by the possibilities of this new league, but I have always thought that the Justice League was the showcase of big names ala the Avengers.

Regards,

AaronJ
09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
You know, Vixen and Zee are going to be showing up, at least for a time, right?

I like this line-up. If there's going to be no Superman and no Wonder Woman for a while, I can totally live with this. It has a lot of my favorite characters, it sets up some interesting dynamics between the older guard and the former Titans, and it's just a lot of fun, interesting characters.

I also expect Barry to show up, eventually.

As to whether there will be another (Johns-penned) League book, we'll have to see. But it sure looks that way.