PDA

View Full Version : Antiope and The Bana-Mighdall

WorstThingUS
09-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Has their origin changed? Or should I say, "changed again"? Did Antiope leave because she was blood-thirsty hothead, or did she leave because she couldn't forgive Hippolyta for falling for Hercules and inadvertently betraying the Amazons? What happened to their use of modern technology? And after William Messner-Loebs left did anyone ever again mention that Diana looks just like Antiope?

Evil Eleanor
09-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Amazons Attacks really muddied the waters with that "Here, look, it's the Bana! It doesn't have to make sense, it's Amazons Attack!" stuff.

CarolStrick
09-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Worst, that Messner-Loebs Amazon origin redo has never been referred to since, and for good reason since it didn't fit in anywhere and didn't do the mythos any good whatsoever. In fact, it took away from it.

Evil, AA never happened. Nevah. Disregard, no matter how much DC wants to keep shoving it at us.

MinaRho1
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Worst, that Messner-Loebs Amazon origin redo has never been referred to since, and for good reason since it didn't fit in anywhere and didn't do the mythos any good whatsoever. In fact, it took away from it.

Evil, AA never happened. Nevah. Disregard, no matter how much DC wants to keep shoving it at us.

Can we just all agree to retcon Amazons Attack out of existence? Yes? Thank you!

DeltaBadhand
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Can we just all agree to retcon Amazons Attack out of existence? Yes? Thank you!
Nope, some folks (I'm one) liked it flaws and all. Plus if DC's gonna keep referencing it, we can't ignore, right?

shanejayell
09-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Wanna bet?

My power to ignore things is MIGHTY.
:tongue:

WorstThingUS
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM

I didn't mind it because it gave Hippolyta feet of clay (no pun intended) and while it does sound hypocritical for me to say so because I'd be pissed if they did the same to Jor-El or Thomas Wayne those characters were meant to be two-dimensional to be totally idolized by the sons who barely knew them so it wouldn't suit them. Hippolyta is a living, breathing character and entitled to dimensions.

But I guess the answer is we're back to Antiope being the flawed sister to explain the split?

Wanna bet?

My power to ignore things is MIGHTY.
:tongue:

Well, Gail isn't letting you, given the plot in Secret Six with Wonder Woman, Artemis and the Bana-Mighdall ties into Amazons Attack. Sorry.

spark627
09-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I would rather let Gail make some sense of AA and try to polish that turd instead of ignoring or retconning it.

meek?
09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I would rather let Gail make some sense of AA and try to polish that turd instead of ignoring or retconning it.

Indeed!

And more Grace Choi, please. :smile:

Peace.

loneangel74
09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Has their origin changed? Or should I say, "changed again"? Did Antiope leave because she was blood-thirsty hothead, or did she leave because she couldn't forgive Hippolyta for falling for Hercules and inadvertently betraying the Amazons? What happened to their use of modern technology? And after William Messner-Loebs left did anyone ever again mention that Diana looks just like Antiope?

Actually, Phil's run ended with Antiope's spirit expressing to Hippolyta's as Hades led them away to their afterlives that she [Hippolyta] was right that Diana did look like her!

Moreover, I think the original schism of the Amazons remains canon with Antiope leading her faction of Amazons in a quest for revenge against Hercules and his men for the enslavement of her people while walking away from the deities of Olympus [much like Diana did recently]! I thought that was a powerful seen for Antiope to renounce all gifts from the Olympians, giving her girdle of Gaea to Hipplyta and telling her that she would always love her as she and her faction road off into the night.

Antiope ROCKS!! :biggrin:

Regards,
Christopher

WorstThingUS
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Actually, Phil's run ended with Antiope's spirit expressing to Hippolyta's as Hades led them away to their afterlives that she [Hippolyta] was right that Diana did look like her!

Moreover, I think the original schism of the Amazons remains canon with Antiope leading her faction of Amazons in a quest for revenge against Hercules and his men for the enslavement of her people while walking away from the deities of Olympus [much like Diana did recently]! I thought that was a powerful seen for Antiope to renounce all gifts from the Olympians, giving her girdle of Gaea to Hipplyta and telling her that she would always love her as she and her faction road off into the night.

Antiope ROCKS!! :biggrin:

Regards,
Christopher

Now there's a mini-series for you, because it would be very un-Zeus like or him to just let such a rejection slide. He probably plagued them as best he could when they left and caused the gods to choose sides even before the Trojan War.

But that still doesn't explain the current lack of tech. Anyone?

loneangel74
09-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Now there's a mini-series for you, because it would be very un-Zeus like or him to just let such a rejection slide. He probably plagued them as best he could when they left and caused the gods to choose sides even before the Trojan War.

But that still doesn't explain the current lack of tech. Anyone?

The lack of tech is a big issue for me because I am trying to figure out what happened to all the advancements the Amazons made at the end of Phil's run?!! It's as though Amazons Attack knocked them back to the stone age even though they had the technology during Infinite Crisis [HELLO!! The purple death ray!!]! I just don't understand why they cannot have a fully empowered Amazon nation [although it was cool that these women using bows and arrows nearly brought the US to its knees!!].

BRING BACK THE AMAZON TECH NOW!! :mad: Please! :smile: