PDA

View Full Version : VILLAINS: The White Magician

hunter_peterson
09-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Saw Gail do a couple of these threads about other villains, so what about this guy?

What's your take on the Boston era's big bad?

Oh, and he also killed Artemis. Nearly forgot.

BnL
09-10-2009, 10:29 PM
He served his purpose, but he's dead, and I see no reason to bring him back.

Constantine Drakon
09-10-2009, 10:41 PM
He served his purpose, but he's dead, and I see no reason to bring him back.

I disagree. A considerable amount of time was spend on him. That, to me, says he should be brought back and "redeemed" into a credible threat.

If nothing else, he and Artemis really need to... have words.

BnL
09-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I disagree. A considerable amount of time was spend on him. That, to me, says he should be brought back and "redeemed" into a credible threat.

If nothing else, he and Artemis really need to... have words.

I think one serious magic user is enough for one rogues gallery. Circe's got it covered.

Evil Eleanor
09-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Double post

Evil Eleanor
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I think one serious magic user is enough for one rogues gallery. Circe's got it covered.

Hey, competition breeds quality! :wink:

I think the biggest problem with Wonder Woman's rogues gallery is that we've had so many writers come along and build up their new pet villains, only to have the characters discarded by the subsequent writers. Now Thomas Asquith wouldn't be my first choice for a "pet villain" to bring back (I'd prefer Dr. Cyber, Sebastian B <but not as Cheetah>, Cronus, Devastation, Veronica Cale, or even The Shattered God), but I do think he should be brought back. There's unresolved stuff between him, Circe, Cheetah, and Artemis.

And a white-supremacist magic user that was a WWII hero... well I'm not sure I like how it was executed in the past, but you have to admit he's got a unique (if somewhat muddled) concept behind him.

ScottyQuick
09-11-2009, 05:55 AM
TBH, that's my main fear with Gail Simone's run. We've seen her use the Circle (new), change the Queen of Fables into a more Wondy villain (her own creation), Grendel (new), Genocide (new) and Achilles (new), as well as the old standby's of Ares and Cheetah. I want to see a Dr. Poison story! A Wonder Woman vs Dr. Zeul! Heck, even Diana v. Duke of Deception!

Kevenn
09-11-2009, 06:40 AM
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the White Magician! I would be thrilled to see him come back. I never got the impression that he was killed, but banished to a different dimension.

Schornforce
09-11-2009, 06:45 AM
I believe I started reading Wonder Woman during Messner-Loebs' run, so I remember The White Magician pretty well. I thought he was an interesting character.

However, I know very little about who he is aside from the few issues I read. I wouldn't mind seeing him again. Perhaps, his magic should be differentiated from Circe-- perhaps by making his magic modernized somehow and making Circe's seem more ancient (which it is).

I also would like an issue exploring how he went from WWII hero to villain and such.

SJNeal
09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
I really liked him. Thought the character was thought out and well developed. We got to see his complete arc, culminating in his acquiring the power he sought, followed by his defeat. A pretty classic formula, but it worked. I'm not opposed to seeing him return somehow, but I was satisfied enough with his story that I won't be upset if we never see him again either.

FeminineMystique
09-11-2009, 08:54 AM
TBH, that's my main fear with Gail Simone's run. We've seen her use the Circle (new), change the Queen of Fables into a more Wondy villain (her own creation), Grendel (new), Genocide (new) and Achilles (new), as well as the old standby's of Ares and Cheetah. I want to see a Dr. Poison story! A Wonder Woman vs Dr. Zeul! Heck, even Diana v. Duke of Deception!

Giganta's showing up next issue and apparently there's plans for Dr Poison, as well as Dr Cyber. So hopefully we'll be seeing more of Diana's rogues gallery soon:biggrin:

leagueofone
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I disliked this villain from day one. I thought he was cheesy, his costume sucked and he was never a credible threath. I would just as soon never see him again.:tongue:

Flying Saucers Over Oz
09-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Not a huge fan of the character --As someone else said, he's a bit redundant-- but I don't think he's beyond help. It depends on what someone wants to do with him.

rhea
09-12-2009, 04:40 PM
To be honest, I always thought Julianna Sazia (the mob widow) was more of an interesting villain than the White Magician during that particular run. Not that I want Diana facing the mob and mainstream crime on a regular basis, but it would be a nice "downtime" type story between the odd cataclysms that plague her from month to month. It couldn't hurt to see some more investigative skill stories like "the death of Myndi Mayer" issue.

scary harpy
09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
hated him.

So many unused golden age characters were ignored so this guy could be created.

Leave him dead.