PDA

View Full Version : Details of Ultimate Wolverine's powers

KangarooOnTheLoose
08-27-2009, 06:28 AM
So, can Wolverine heal completely as just one body part? I mean, would his severed arm start moving around on its own or what? Could he survive as just a head? Does he need his brain intact for his body parts to move?

I didn't read Ultimate X-Men's last few arcs, so I don't know what the current details of his powers are, I was just wondering, as there's a lot of speculation on these threads about his UW's possible return.

rwsmith
08-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Well, the most drastic change in his powers from the regular Marvel Universe version came in the Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk limited series. Essentially his mutant ability may be more along the lines of survival than simply healing/regeneration. In other words, if he is decapitated (which he was in the series) he skin will mutate so that he can breathe through it (and thus doesn't need lungs to keep oxygen flowing to his brain).

Not sure how crazy I am about this change, and it does contradict some things that have already been established (such as Sabretooth almost drowning him in a river in the second Ultimate X-men arc; why didn't he suddenly grow gills or something like that if he was drowning?). I suppose as long as there are limits to his ability to "survive anything" that I'm okay with it. And, if you think about it, it's really no different that any other character's ability to survive things they shouldn't be able to (such as Magneto surviving Wolverine stabbing him through the chest in the first UXM arc). It's just that Wolverine can survive things even more ridiculous, and thus the writers can continue to push the limits of damage that can be inflicted upon him.

At any rate, I'd imagine that if a sample of his DNA still exists somewhere that they can and will regrow his body (though he probably won't have any of his memories, so it will be like being mindwiped by Weapon X all over again). If Magneto truly destroyed Wolverine down to the cellular level in Ultimatum (which would seem to be the case at this point), then my money's on someone (either Millar or Loeb) creating a new Wolverine with similar-yet-different powers (such as a synthetic nano-tech based healing factor perhaps). Personally my money is on a sample of his blood being in the box he gave Kitty in issue #4 of Ultimatum, and that's how they bring him back.

We'll see I guess...

spacepatate15
08-27-2009, 08:40 AM
He basically immortal in the ultimate universe.The only thing that managed to kill him is magneto by ripping the adamantium of his squeletton but one of his hands was still moving at the end of ultimatum so the only thing i know so far is that they would need to find wolverine remains to bring him back or that weapon x actually have a blood sample of wolverine and use it to create a new wolverine.

It a story that i dont want them to rush.But a new wolverine is the best thing that could happen to the character.