Brian Hibbs
07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Dunno why a thread wasn't automagically created, but the newest column is up:

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22065

Discuss!

-B

lexid523
07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
OK, that is seriously bordering on harassment there. I understand he's trying to sell his comic, but he's got to understand that you've got a lot of comics to sell, not just his.

Arvandor
07-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Iím happy to say Iím wrong about one bit of it at least Ė preorders are something over 20k as of the last time I spoke to anyone who might actually know (though 10k of that is to a single store); so, no matter what, the campaign is successful.

Whu?!

Surely I'm misreading this. You can't be telling me that a store bought TEN THOUSAND COPIES of a single, untested, nineties-style indie comic?!

That's gotta be a typo or something. Gotta be.

Brian Hibbs
07-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Whu?!

Surely I'm misreading this. You can't be telling me that a store bought TEN THOUSAND COPIES of a single, untested, nineties-style indie comic?!

That's gotta be a typo or something. Gotta be.

I'm told that that is, in fact, true.

It may have been done with some considerations, however, which I'm not at liberty to discuss because, quite frankly it isn't any of my business whatsoever.

-B

Arvandor
07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm told that that is, in fact, true.

It may have been done with some considerations, however, which I'm not at liberty to discuss because, quite frankly it isn't any of my business whatsoever.

-B

Well I'm presuming that it's the store you mentioned as "Gibson's own" elsewhere in the article. Which partly explains it.

But it's still incredible. Incredibly stupid, that is.

GCom
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I tried several times to post a comment on the Youtube video's page...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H3NFhItzs

... and I couldn't. yet at the same time, Cdougless90 is posting comments.

Speaking as a retailer, if I don't see some immediate sales on Mayhem #1, I'm canceling any future issues. I don't react well to shills, or this kind of marketing.

With Tolerance For The Bad Tactics...

GCom

Ebon
07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Interesting article. How strange that these people would call across the country for mail-order for a book that they could order from their local shop or from one of the net comic stores.

Deadfish07
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Great article.

While I think it's great that Tyrese is passionate about his comic, is he even telling people that aren't comic book buyers how to get a copy? I tried looking through his Twitter but didn't get too far.

Screaming "Mayhem" a bunch of times isn't going to make people understand that they have to go to an actual comic book shop and preorder it. Most people probably don't even know about the preordering process. They probably think they can go into the supermarket and find Mayhem next to the Archie digests.

The retailers need to tell Tyrese, "We don't hate, you need to educate."

superfriend
07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H3NFhItzs

If I'm not mistaken in his next video blog he seems to be hating on Justin Timberlake as Green Lantern.

tsk tsk tsk

Capt USA
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
who is Tyrese Gibson?

I guess I'm going to have to google this guy and see if I know him in anything.

Village Idiot
07-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Yer damned if ya do, and yer damned if ya don't.

And you are not a hater, but its' just so easy for someone to call you a hater when they either disagree with what you said, or are intent on changing the meaning of your words. They aren't arguing their point, they're trying to get you to not defend your point.

It seems that's Gibson's phone call to you was just a ruse to set up further marketing points. And you stepped into it. He ruined a whole afternoon for you, and maybe part of another day, just to serve his own needs.

Who, now, appears to be the hater?

PestilentSpawnOfCthulhu
07-18-2009, 02:45 AM
who is Tyrese Gibson?

I guess I'm going to have to google this guy and see if I know him in anything.

So I just did that and checked out his Wikipedia entry so I now know that he is basicly who I thought he would be even though I had never heard of him.

And ...

none of his rabid supporters even bothered to update his entry to even mention the comic

Why aren't I surprised?

P.S. Damn you Hibbs, you made me sign up for a comic book forum!

optichouse
07-19-2009, 01:24 PM
If his fan base is that rabidÖ why not just sell his comic as merch at his concerts?

Arvandor
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
It's all going off, now. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22550)

Seems Hibbs was right all along about him.

Village Idiot
08-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Brian, if you are out there...

How were the sales of Mayhem? Did the large orders by single persons pan out? Did you happen to get any walk in customers because of the publicity?

Brian Hibbs
08-17-2009, 11:37 AM
How were the sales of Mayhem? Did the large orders by single persons pan out? Did you happen to get any walk in customers because of the publicity?

I ordered 3 copies for my rack. I have sold two of them so far. One to a person who gets pretty much any independent looks-like-superheroes book, and one to Jeff Lester who said he wanted to review it for The Savage Critics.

Some of the large orders came up on invalid credit cards, and the owners didn't get back to me with a better CC #. I sent a few more out, but I won't feel "safe" for another month or two to ensure those charges don't get reversed (I'm mildly paranoid?)

The answer to question #3 is: No, none whatsoever.

-B

Village Idiot
08-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Brian.

babydave
08-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Here's something I don't understand:

So, on 60 calls, we generated 7 sales, for 191 copies.

(And that’s not even counting the video for "Mayhem" later posted on YouTube by a “Douglas," purportedly as a fan. In this, I am called a “hater," among other things. The only problem is that “Douglas” specifically mentions the number of copies we’ve “sold." [some 200+ of those copies were charged to cards that were declined, however] A number which no one on earth besides myself and Gibson knew. Which means he’s a shill and mouthpiece for Gibson. Tacky!)

How did 200+ copies get charged to cards that were declined when you only sold 191? Are you saying you sold 391+ but only 191 actually had valid credit card numbers? Then your response here indicates that more charges didn't pan out and you're crossing your fingers that further charges don't get reversed. Maybe I missed this information, but your numbers aren't matching up... AND why the hell take huge orders for something without cash in hand in this day and age? I hope it all works out for you and you're not stuck with a bunch of unsellable comics or a bunch of unsellable comics which were essentially given away because the charges were reversed and the comics are unable to be located. Check or money order and no shipment till it clears. I can see this guy's TWITtourage ordering a bunch of comics from you and not paying just for revenge for something they think you did because everybody on Twitter says you did.

Good Luck!