PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Johns's Hawkman / What is Your Verdict ?

sabongero
07-01-2009, 07:49 AM
There's been a lack of threads on Hawkman here in the forum. I was just searching Amazon.com and it turned out several TPB volumes by Johns. How'd you like that Hawkman run? I'm asking because when I started reading comics again, it was titled Hawkgirl after the One Year Later DC event.

carabas
07-01-2009, 08:12 AM
He took one of the most frelled up characters in th DCU, continuity-wise, and made it accesible.

Quite and achievement.

Karl O'Neill
07-01-2009, 10:52 AM
It's brilliaint. It's actually quite a feat what he done with hawkman.

He distilled years of continuity baggage into a solid streamlined narrative.

A+

Buried Alien
07-01-2009, 11:11 AM
He did not do poorly, but I wish he had used the Silver Age HAWKMAN mythology (with Katar Hol) as the basis of his reconstruction of Hawkman as that is the intepretation of the character that I've always preferred.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Shellhead
07-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Johns did a decent job. I bought it, but I was never excited about it until it crossed over with JSA for Black Reign.

FemGeek
07-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Excellent, best Hawkman I've ever read IMO. Johns did a fantastic job redefining Carters place in the DCU, a must-read.

Shellhead
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
I enjoyed Hawkworld more, but that really messed up continuity for years.

Karl O'Neill
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I honestly prefare the ancient warrior reincarnated than the alien sci fi dude.

Carter Hall
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Johns really is not recognized enough for what he did with Hawkman. Absolutely awesome, accessible streamlining that fixed basically all continuity problems. Also set the basis for the further Palmiotti/Gray run on the book. Both of these runs are probably the best Hawkman stuff ever (with the exception of the Hawkworld miniseries, also very good).

I liked both the Golden and Silver Age versions of the character, and there's no reason both can't exist in the DCU. I really hope Jim Starlin and Blackest Night don't mess with Hawkman too much right now. He needs to further adjusting!!!

Shellhead
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
I honestly prefare the ancient warrior reincarnated than the alien sci fi dude.

I like both concepts equally well. It fit with the overall shift at DC from the golden age to the silver age.

Golden Age: masked mystery men and magical heroes

Flash: chemist gains powers when lightning hits chemicals, wears helmet like Hermes of ancient greco-roman mythology
Green Lantern: wields a magic ring
Hawkman: reincarnated Egyptian pharoah
Spectre: wrath of God incarnate

Silver Age:

Flash: CSI-type gains powers when lightning hits chemicals
Green Lantern: wields super high-tech ring and joins galatic police force
Hawkman: alien cop
Martian Manhunter: alien turned cop

Hawkman
07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
I was a bit apprehensive when Johns and Robinson brought Hawkman back, because I honestly didn't know much about Carter at the time; I really would've have much preferred it had been (SA) Katar. I loved Johns' run on Hawkman, though, and between Carter and Katar I'd now be hard-pressed to tell you which one I prefer.

On another note but worth mentioning, in my opinion, Palmiotti and Gray did an equally awesome job of following up Johns' excellent run.

Babylon23
07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Great run. Johns did an excellent job of re-establishing Carter as a major player in the DCU. With this series and the Return of Hawkman in JSA he also did a good job of cleaning up the mess that Hawkman continuity had become. He established a new city for Hawkman and populated it with interesting characters. Plus he used the series to develop Kendra nad a more fully fleshed out character than she had been in JSA.

hondobrode
07-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Johns was absolutely brilliant and took a character I liked to a character I'm crazy about now.

I've been dying for Hawkman's return !

The Starlin special scared hell out of me.

Hawk_fan
07-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Johns did a fantastic job with Hawkman (Carter Hall).
Now we need to see him do equally well with the return of the silver-age Hawkman (Katar Hol). :wink:

Dave Hackett
07-02-2009, 04:39 AM
It started off great (especially in JSA), but when his own series got going I quickly lost interest. To be honest, I always preferred Katar, but I also liked Carter from All-Star and All-Star Squadron. This Hawkman was none of those, but rather some sort of "Conan the Hawkbarian" thug that didn't appeal to me at all.

Bevbos
07-02-2009, 04:47 AM
What trades would one pick up for Johns' Hawkman stuff?

SUPERECWFAN1
07-02-2009, 04:48 AM
I loved the entire premise of Johns "Hawkman". Carter is a warrior who defies death countless times for his woman. Its just that freakin awesome and it was something that DC flirted with changing back at FINAL CRISIS and people were like ...WTF DC ? Its taken years to get these characters right and your screwing again with em ?

Loved Palmotti & Gray's run more on Hawkman than Johns though.

the4thpip
07-02-2009, 07:09 AM
I liked it. It looked and read real pretty.

Sean Walsh
07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Probably the best Hawkman comics I've read.

Rags was also on fire with his art there too.

And Palmiotti, Gray and Bennett continued bringing the awesome when Geoff and Rags left, which I really wasn't expecting either.

Karl O'Neill
07-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Probably the best Hawkman comics I've read.

Rags was also on fire with his art there too.

And Palmiotti, Gray and Bennett continued bringing the awesome when Geoff and Rags left, which I really wasn't expecting either.

I actually thought the Graymiotti run was much better. ans Joe benett's art was the business.

Carter Hall
07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I got into Hawkman because of the Palmiotti/Gray run, and I agree that Joe Bennett's art was awesome. I would even go as far as saying he's the best Hawkman artist ever (with full appreciation, of course, to Joe Kubert).

What trades would one pick up for Johns' Hawkman stuff?

"The Return of Hawkman" which is JSA vol. 3 is where everything starts, and Hawkman vol. 1 sets everything up for the solo book. My personal favorite, however, is "Rise of Golden Eagle," which is vol. 4 (although this is the P/G run).

And if you have a chance, the original Hawkworld mini series is very different but incredibly awesome.

Bevbos
07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Groovy, thank you sir. Might pick some of this up this afternoon.

Sean Walsh
07-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I got into Hawkman because of the Palmiotti/Gray run, and I agree that Joe Bennett's art was awesome. I would even go as far as saying he's the best Hawkman artist ever (with full appreciation, of course, to Joe Kubert).

"The Return of Hawkman" which is JSA vol. 3 is where everything starts, and Hawkman vol. 1 sets everything up for the solo book. My personal favorite, however, is "Rise of Golden Eagle," which is vol. 4 (although this is the P/G run).

Palmiotti/Gray, I think, even outshone Johns in this series. I really expected to drop the book when he and Rags left. And Joe Bennett - who I've been a fan of since his days on SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED in the mid 1990's - brought his A+ game here.

And I just picked up RISE OF THE GOLDEN EAGLE trade a couple weeks ago, oddly enough, as I had to sell my Hawkman books a few years back and really wanted to get my hands on this arc again.

Zero Hunter
07-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree the Palmiotti/Grey run was just as good as Johns run. I hated when they left the book when they switched the book to Hawkgirl. I parely lasted 2 issues of the before dropping the book.

FanboyStranger
07-02-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd give it a 3.25. It's was a solid series, and Rags' art was very good. However, the real standout issues were Robinson's flashbacks to previous incarnations of the Hawks.

stealthwise
07-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I read the first two tpbs, and other than the fairly ingenuitive way that Johns manages to coalesce Hawkman's past continuities together, there's really not all that much there beyond an average superhero story.

Karl O'Neill
07-02-2009, 12:16 PM
What is an average superhero story?

the4thpip
07-02-2009, 02:31 PM

It involves blue elephants.

Carter Hall
07-02-2009, 04:03 PM
The real standout issues were Robinson's flashbacks to previous incarnations of the Hawks.

Definitely loved those, too. Not to be outdone is the Ed Brubaker film noir one-shot featuring Carter and Kendra as "Maltese Falcon" type characters (#27 for whoever's interested). Great stuff.

But these types of stories are exactly what kinds of stories you're now able to tell with what Geoff Johns set up. The reincarnation through Nth Metal is a fictional playground for a good writer who wants to get their hands on these characters.

stealthwise
07-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Basically average in content and quality. You have a hero, he/she fights a villain or two, a basic subplot is tossed in, presumably to be resolved at some point, there's one or two pages of bland exposition with the hero in his/her civilian identity, there's usually a basic approach of rising action, climax, minor denouement with some lame cliffhanger for the villain to tease later on. It's formula comic writing, and most writers are good enough to dress it up a bit and make it seem like more than it is, but Johns was pretty new at this, so Hawkman comes across as pretty standard stuff for the first couple volumes (not sure what happens afterwards, as I lost interest). His Flash run is pretty similar for the most part.

Karl O'Neill
07-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I thought His Flash run was amazing. All 61 issues of it. Blitz is one of my favourite story arc's ever. next to all star superman and watchmen.

I like that formula.

stealthwise
07-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I thought His Flash run was amazing. All 61 issues of it. Blitz is one of my favourite story arc's ever. next to all star superman and watchmen.

I like that formula.

There's something to be said for a formula that's essentially endured for about 70 years or so, for sure. I just found a lot of it to be quite boring at times, likely due to the hype surrounding Johns's work. There's nothing wrong with his Hawkman or his Flash, I just found them fairly predictable and unspectacular.