PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Ra's Al Ghul?

frostedone
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
How do you pronounce Ra's Al Ghul?

1. "Raysh" (The BTAS way/Denny O'Neal way) Ra's Al Ghul way originally written with a hard "a" symbol.

2. "Rahz" The Batman Begins/Terry McGinnis way.

3. "Raas" The a is like the "A" in father. The correct Arabic way.

For me it is "Raysh" Al Ghul since it sounds the coolist.

Quinnhop
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't know the difference between Rahz and Raas.

But that's how I tend to say it.

Sn4tcH
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Same here, I'm saying them both out loud, and they sound the same.

Anyway, even as a kid I thought "Raysh" sounded stupid. I always pronounced it "Rahz" because of the toy box.

MisterBigBacon
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
I tend to say " Raysh "

Bat_Fan2232
06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
i grew up with BTAS so raysh it is for me

zur en arrh
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
I really, really hate the way it was said in The Animated Series. I'll go with the Batman Begins pronunciation.

Ari Gold
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
is the difference between 2 & 3 the z-sound vs the s-sound?

ishydee
06-15-2009, 01:44 PM
i think 2 is like saying dazzle while 3 is from Batman Begins

40footwolf
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
I always go with "Raws All Ghoul".

jgiannantoni05
06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Will always be Raysh for me. I hate the way BBegins pronounces it.
________
BREYTON (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Breyton)

Karl O'Neill
06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Rasta man.

Avenger08
06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Batman Beggins way is best to me

But you can pronounce it either:

Raz-al-ghoul

or

Raaz-al-ghoul

or

Ras-al-ghoul
(more accented)

Really its any way you think it should sound with the emphasis, its never been a huge deal

Hair
06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Racers Cool

frostedone
06-15-2009, 04:13 PM
is the difference between 2 & 3 the z-sound vs the s-sound?

Number 2 is like saying "R-ah-Z".

Number 3 is more like "R-aahh-S" The "a" is stretched a bit and the s is softer then a hard Z.

frostedone
06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Racers Cool

Bizarro? Nice I loved Trinity.

BloodOps
06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
I always thought it was supposed to be Raysh? That is how I've always said it.

DonC
06-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I always pronounced it like a possessive of the Egyptian god Ra. Like, "Ra's car wouldn't start so he had to ride the bus to the chariot races."

Armless Penguin
06-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I stopped saying "Rahz" when I heard Denny O'Neil pronounces it "Raysh," and then with BTAS now saying it any other way just sounds odd to me.

Murrocko
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I always go with "Raws All Ghoul".

That's how I say it

Quinnhop
06-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Number 2 is like saying "R-ah-Z".

Number 3 is more like "R-aahh-S" The "a" is stretched a bit and the s is softer then a hard Z.

Mm, then yeah, #2.

JohnShil
06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
For no reason, I've always said it /razh-ahl-gool/, /zh/ being like the second 'g' in "garage" or the 's' in "vision."

Hawkman
06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Used to be "Raysh," due to the animated series, but since Batman Begins, "Rahz."

Jared
06-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Used to be "Raysh," due to the animated series, but since Batman Begins, "Rahz."

Same here. But I must admit I never really liked "Raysh", even though that was my first exposure to the character. It just sounds awkward.
Rahz still took a little while to get used to, but now I greatly prefer it. If I'd seen the name in print before hearing it, I would have assumed it was Rahz or Raze.

DavidAllred
06-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Always been "Ray-sh" for me. Didn't know that was Denny's way, I guess I must have heard someone else say it that way too, so when the Batman flick came out, it seemed odd to me.

Frisky Dingo
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I really, really hate the way it was said in The Animated Series. I'll go with the Batman Begins pronunciation.

Same thing I was thinking.

mofo
06-16-2009, 01:45 AM
its defintely pronounced as in Batman Begins
demons head translated to arabic = رأس الغول
the transliteration is "Raas Al ghul"

(i know arabic)

frostedone
06-16-2009, 05:35 AM

(i know arabic)

Thats Awesome!

Deason
06-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Denny O'Neil created the fictional character in question, so his version of the pronunciation of the name is, pretty much by definition, correct.

The standard Arabic pronunciation of the transliterated phrase may well be different, but that's a different thing from the name of the fictional character; the invented name of a fictional character is not constrained to be congruent to the former.

If Monty Python can have a character whose name is spelled "Luxury Yacht" but pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove", Mr O'Neil can have one whose name is spelled "Ra's" but pronounced "Raysh".

Sn4tcH
06-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Well I heard Batman call him "rahz" in Batman Begins, so therefore it is correct.

I'm being sarcastic obviously. No one can really say "No no, it MUST be pronounced this way." And even if Denny does say it "Raysh" his stories also point out that the name is derived from the Arabic term "Demons Head" which we were just told is pronounced in the "Rahz" way. This means the characters creator can't pronounce his own characters names correctly. (It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this. I've heard authors in the past say they couldn't pronounce their characters names, but that they chose it because it looked cool.)

Just say it how you know it.

gocryemokid
06-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

gocryemokid
06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I think of it like this. If someone was name "Ra" and I had something of his, I'd say I had Ra's ____ whatever. Just like if I had the Batmobile, I'd have Bruce's car. I pronounce it the same way, idk why tas has Y and H sounds but whatever keeps your boat afloat

bongoes
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I always pronounced it like a possessive of the Egyptian god Ra. Like, "Ra's car wouldn't start so he had to ride the bus to the chariot races."

I think of it like this. If someone was name "Ra" and I had something of his, I'd say I had Ra's ____ whatever. Just like if I had the Batmobile, I'd have Bruce's car. I pronounce it the same way, idk why tas has Y and H sounds but whatever keeps your boat afloat

That's how I think of it.

Deason
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Well I heard Batman call him "rahz" in Batman Begins, so therefore it is correct.

I'm being sarcastic obviously. No one can really say "No no, it MUST be pronounced this way." And even if Denny does say it "Raysh" his stories also point out that the name is derived from the Arabic term "Demons Head" which we were just told is pronounced in the "Rahz" way. This means the characters creator can't pronounce his own characters names correctly. (It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this. I've heard authors in the past say they couldn't pronounce their characters names, but that they chose it because it looked cool.)

I'm not saying how people MUST pronounce it, either. People are obviously free to pronounce "Ra's" any way they want - including "Throat Warbler Mangrove".

But I humbly disagree with some of your conclusions, anyway :) A scattershot of counterpoints:

1) "Derived from" does not equal "identical to". If anything, it suggests "similar, but not identical to". Which would describe "Raysh al gool", no?

2) There're the open questions of accent, dialect, and the evolution across centuries of pronunciation. How old is Ra's? When did he get his name? If definitive knowledge of how a phrase was pronounced several centuries ago is hard to obtain, an author of fiction is entitled to invent a pronunciation, no? (Though my understanding is that he researched it, and was told "Raysh")

3) That some authors in some cases may not have known how to pronounce the names of the characters they create does not require that this is the case here. Denny may have chosen a pronunciation that may be different from what would be expected from the most common contemporary Arabic pronunciation, but that doesn't make his pronunciation (of the name, not the phrase - it's important to distinguish) "wrong".

Even if we stipulate the correct mainstream modern Arabic pronunciation of that phrase as given, and even if the fictional character name was influenced by that phrase, the author is still free to define the pronunciation of the fictional character name (not the phrase) as he wishes.

4) Once a name is given, any "errors" in how it was selected or created may become historical curiosities, but are not relevant in third parties subsequently "choosing" a pronunciation (or a spelling).

a) "Cerebus" as a name was originally a mistaken misremembering of "Cerberus", but that doesn't mean it should be pronounced (or spelled) that way.

b) When Mrs Middler named her daughter "Bette" after Bette Davis, she was entirely within her rights to pronounce the name of her daughter "Bet" even though Bette Davis pronounced her own name "Betty". Same principle here.

Mrs Middler (and for some decades now, Bette Middler herself) say it's pronounced "Bet" even though it's spelled "Bette" which may usually be pronounced in other contexts (including that of the instance which supplied inspiration for the new name) as "Betty". Denny says it's pronounced "Raysh" even though it's spelled "Ra's" which may usually be pronounced in other contexts (including that of the instance which supplied inspiration for the new name) as "Rahz".

One can "choose" any pronunciation one wishes, but only one such has a reasonable claim for "correctness": if "Bet" is how one correctly refers in speech to the younger Ms Middler (and does anyone dispute this?), then "Raysh" must surely be how one correctly refers in speech to Mr Al Ghul.

Thanks for your attention!

Kirayoshi
06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Tonight's Top Ten list; Top Ten Ways to Pronounce Ra's Al Ghul.

10) Ray's All Good

9) Rash Al's Goal

8) Ash-Ray Al-Ay Ule-Gay

7) Weird Ra's Al-Ghulovick

6) Racer Ghoul

5) Mix-YES-Spit-Lick

4) That Arabic James Bond Villain-Dude

3) Luhg-La S'Ar(Zatanna only)

2) Gwynneth Paltrow

And the Number One way to pronounce Ra's Al-Ghul...

1) Eraserhead!

Jared
06-16-2009, 10:20 PM

(i know arabic)

How is the "ghul" pronounced in Arabic?