PDA

View Full Version : Why does MSNBC show nothing but documentaries about prison on the weekend?

Aaron Kashtan
06-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Seriously, is there any particular reason for this bizarre practice? Can anyone explain it?

The Zapper
06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I watch MSNBC during the week, but I too have never understood the constant prison shows on the weekend. I guess they get ratings.

mgs
06-13-2009, 10:21 PM
I thought I heard or read once, that their prison shows were great ratings grabbers.

SUPERECWFAN1
06-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Imagine this...on Sundays they show marathons of TO CATCH A PREDATOR. Thats funny...:tongue:

The Zapper
06-13-2009, 11:28 PM
I love To Catch a Predator!

dupersuper
06-14-2009, 06:32 AM
To scare people straight?

Jared
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Olbermann gets off on it?

Sabrinaset
06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Olbermann gets off on it?

Nah, that's when they do stories on Obama! :wink:

Anna
06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought I heard or read once, that their prison shows were great ratings grabbers.

They do OK, at least during the first airings. The network is quite proud of them.

Sean Walsh
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
....it's not like anyone watchs MSNBC, is it? :wink: :tongue:

Jared
06-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Until this weekened I never realized just how bad they were with this stuff. While CNN and Fox were covering Iran, MSNBC was all prison docs...and some true crime stories, for a touch of variety.

Anna
06-22-2009, 07:37 PM
....it's not like anyone watchs MSNBC, is it? :wink: :tongue:

My dad watches it for up to 14 hours a day. I watch Olberman. Back when I worked days, I watched Scarborough when I woke up.

kalorama
06-22-2009, 08:04 PM

THey must be if they keep showing them.

FanboyStranger
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I've been wondering about this myself. I don't watch Fox News unless I'm in desperate need of a laugh, but CNN has some quality programming on Sundays like (watch me blow the spelling on this name) Fareek Zakaria GPS. At the very least, you'd think that MSNBC would rebroadcast Meet the Press (which I'm pretty sure they do) with some kind of discussion show afterwards.

pariah-1972
06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would want to watch these things they are very depressing to me at least.

Dan Felty
06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
I actually have liked what I've seen of these (probably 2 to 4 episodes). I think they do a fairly good job of helping me to understand the prison system a little better, albeit one extremely narrow section of the system. They also didn't seem as sensationalistic as I feared.

Also, maybe they think Sunday is a slow news day. They could devote the day to thoughtful overview of the week's stories, but they kind of squander the allotted coverage of a particular story on knee-jerk analysis. 'Why would we go over that again? We covered that.'

Jared
06-24-2009, 03:08 AM
I actually have liked what I've seen of these (probably 2 to 4 episodes). I think they do a fairly good job of helping me to understand the prison system a little better, albeit one extremely narrow section of the system. They also didn't seem as sensationalistic as I feared.

Also, maybe they think Sunday is a slow news day. They could devote the day to thoughtful overview of the week's stories, but they kind of squander the allotted coverage of a particular story on knee-jerk analysis. 'Why would we go over that again? We covered that.'

I don't think there's anything wrong with the shows themselves, just that they don't need to have a freakin' marathon of them every weekend. Especially when it really isn't a slow news day, like last Sunday.

pariah-1972
06-24-2009, 08:10 AM
It would be ironic if Fox news started showing them too:evilsmile:

Anna
06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
It would be ironic if Fox news started showing them too:evilsmile:

Before of after Huckabee?

pariah-1972
06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Before of after Huckabee?Does it matter?

Anna
06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Does it matter? Conservatives NEED Huckabee to show them which celebrities are still amongst the "good guys".

pariah-1972
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Conservatives NEED Huckabee to show them which celebrities are still amongst the "good guys".What does that have to do with the original subject?
:confused:

Anna
06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
What does that have to do with the original subject?
:confused: I'm saying that Fox's answer to The Prarie Home Companion is too important to pre empt in order to show prison documentaries.

pariah-1972
06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm saying that Fox's answer to The Prarie Home Companion is too important to pre empt in order to show prison documentaries.Ok i get it now:smile:

Anna
06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
So, will they show the usual junk this weekend; or continue to show Michael?

Jared
06-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I think the Fox News version of crime and prison docs is War Stories with (of course) Oliver North. Which is the most redundant show ever if your cable includes the military channel.

Jackson was truly legendary, I think his untimely death is a legitmate new story. Though all day I've been wondering if Iranians resent the fact that nobody is paying any attention to their heroic webcasts and twitters today.

Anna
07-03-2009, 05:33 PM
MSNBC started running Lockup early for Holiday viewing.

Ontir
07-03-2009, 06:37 PM
They show prison docs so that no matter how shitty your weekend is, you know you at least have a weekend, and if it sucks where you are, you can go for a drive and get away from it all!

...and because people have a sadistic side that gets off on watching people being humiliated, coerced and violated, and convicts are the only remaining safe demographic for such joy.

Anna
07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
They show prison docs so that no matter how shitty your weekend is, you know you at least have a weekend, and if it sucks where you are, you can go for a drive and get away from it all!

...and because people have a sadistic side that gets off on watching people being humiliated, coerced and violated, and convicts are the only remaining safe demographic for such joy.

I'd swim, but I think we're getting ready for a monsoon within the next hour or so. I'll just prepare the food for tomorrow.

Ontir
07-03-2009, 08:55 PM
A monsoon in Arizona?

Anna
07-04-2009, 12:27 AM
A monsoon in Arizona?

Every summer from the end of June through mid-September moisture comes up from Mexico. You see the clouds building. Sometimes only a small area is affected; sometimes storms break out all over the state. Sometimes it's just wind and lightning; other times it's major dust storms, rain and microbursts. Four years ago my whole neighborhood got trashed. Air conditioners were ripped off roofs, carports caved in, trees and telephone poles were knocked over. I was lucky because I got power back the next morning (it was about 90 degrees and 70% humidity that night.) My dad had his tool shed picked up and thrown through a block fence into a neighbor's yard. That neighbor never did find most of her patio furniture.

Monty_Cristo
07-04-2009, 05:40 PM
because they have a captive audience