PDA

View Full Version : Alfred

Bat_Fan2232
06-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Are there any good batman stories involving alfred? I watched an episode of BTAS and bruce had lost his memory and was in a work camp alfred went looking for him in the batplane. Thought it was kinda cool and was wondering if there is anything out there that involves alfred in more than just a few frames.

KandouErik
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure. He's suppose to be in Outsiders - as their backer.

dancj
06-09-2009, 04:15 AM
Alfred's great in The Dark Knight Returns, Year One and Batman vs Predator (the first one)

kevink31593
06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Some suggestions:

Detective Comics #806-807 (two-part backup story titled "Regnum Defende"). This story is set during the Cold War, when Alfred worked as a spy for England, before Alfred began to work for Thomas and Martha Wayne. *

The Batman Chronicles# 5, third story, titled "Of Mice and Men". Alfred Pennyworth is planning to return to his native England and leave the Wayne family's service, but after witnessing young Bruce get the better of a school bully, he thinks he may change his mind. *

Nightwing: Alfred's Return #1 In London, having left Bruce Wayne's employ, Alfred reacquaints himself with former friend (and nearly spouse), actress Joanna Clark. *

* Thanks to The Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe (http://www.dcuguide.com/index.php) for these synopses.

Stantheman23
06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I always loved Alfred

Jared
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
How does one go from the spy business to the butling business, anyway?

Mundungus
06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Good pay, maybe needed to lay low. Essentially it gives Alfred an edge in the event he is attacked.

I don't know when Alfred's spy past was revealed but I think the consensus was that Batman's loved ones get attacked a lot and Alfred, an older gentleman, needs a way to defend himself.

nepenthes
06-10-2009, 01:52 AM
thanks for the list Batman Fan, I'm gonna check up on those too.

I've often wandered how an Alfred mini series could work, there's alot of stuff to draw on. I'd end it with the birth of Bruce Wayne and use flash forwards to the batman years, though never actually showing Batman or Bruce himself. and it would simply be called "Pennyworth".

Mat001
06-10-2009, 11:02 AM
How does one go from the spy business to the butling business, anyway?

Alfred finished his time in the service and returned to London to pursue a career in the theatre. This is how he helped Bruce create his many disgusies and make each suit. However, his father who had been a butler to the Wayne family was dying and had wanted Alfred to carry on. Events told in the "Alfred Returns" sealed the deal and he moved to Gotham to work for the Waynes. He was going to quit, but chose not to at the last minute. Shortly after, the Waynes were killed and he took on the task of raising Bruce.