PDA

View Full Version : Operation Galactic Storm

GHalecki
05-18-2009, 08:59 AM
This story came up on another thread, particularly in relation to how some Avengers were against killing the Supreme Inteligence.

Can anyone supply the following lists of Avengers for me?

Who was on Iron Man's side to kill the SI?

Who was on Captain America's side against it?

Who were the Avengers that were back on earth, or otherwise seperated from the discussion.

I am curious about and how you might think they would have voted, and who might have later changed their minds about how they did vote?

mattbib
05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Who was on Iron Man's side to kill the SI?
Iron Man, Black Knight, Hercules, Sersi, Thor, Vision and Wonder Man

Captain Commander
05-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Just add that at the time Thor was the Thunderstrike guy (forgot his name).

Blind pugh
05-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Just add that at the time Thor was the Thunderstrike guy (forgot his name).

Eric Masterson IIRC

Grapeweasel
05-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Ah, Operation Galactic Storm.

Another gloriously convoluted Marvel crossover where I seem to have 2 out of every 5 issues.....

Expletive Deleted
05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Who was on Iron Man's side to kill the SI?Black Knight, Sersi, Hercules, Vision, Wonder Man, and Thor/Thunderstrike.

Who was on Captain America's side against it?Crystal, Starfox, Goliath/Hawkeye, Living Lightning, Captain Marvel/Photon, Scarlet Witch, and Quasar.

Who were the Avengers that were back on earth, or otherwise seperated from the discussion.USAgent, She-Hulk, Falcon, Mockingbird, Spider-Woman, Hank Pym, Wasp, and Gilgamesh.

Hawkeye was supposed to stay behind, but Hank helped him resurrect his Goliath identity and he ended up taking USAgent's spot on the Kree away team.

Dagger
05-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Eric Masterson IIRC
I miss Eric Masterson.:frown:

Deason
06-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Ah, Operation Galactic Storm.

Another gloriously convoluted Marvel crossover where I seem to have 2 out of every 5 issues.....

It's worth tracking down the other 3 in 5. This was one of the best Marvel crossovers of the decade, IMO

Sighphi
06-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Dont all the Marvel event books that are just comic versions of US war campaigns suck?

GHalecki
06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Actually, Galactic Storm was pretty good overall. I wish that they had put more into it though. There was a whole lot of material left uncovered that would have made for interesting stories.

The format was a little diferent than today's crossovers. It was a part 1 part 2 part 3 etc up to part 12 I think, progression telling the story, where today it is a six part story, and two or three issues worth of tie ins for all of the related books.

The poroblam with the old format was that you might have an issue of Thor (for example) that was a decent Thor story in relation to the overall story, but didn't really progress the overall story that much OR you had an issue of Wonder Man that progressed the overall story, but had not all that much to do with Wonder Man in particular. ANd since that team was used to working on Wonder Man, they might not be handling the other charachters as well as you might hope.

That was one story that could certainly have benefitted heavily from having at least two endcap books, if not for a dedicated mini in addition to what was presented originally.

drwho
06-06-2009, 05:19 PM
galactic storm was a cool cosmic event but they un did everything that happened in it anyway so its kind of forgettable.

GHalecki
06-06-2009, 11:38 PM
So was the Dark Phoenix Saga, and it still has it's luster.

StoneGold
06-07-2009, 12:52 AM
So was the Dark Phoenix Saga, and it still has it's luster.

Dark Phoenix also wasn't a 19 part story running through half a dozen books you didn't buy, with some of the least inspiring art of the 90s. Avengers related books had some pretty rank art on most of them at the time. Dark Phoenix saga wouldn't have gotten the same level of accolade if, oh, let's say Herb Trimpe was penciling it instead of Byrne in his prime.

Vic Vega
06-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Dark Phoenix also wasn't a 19 part story running through half a dozen books you didn't buy, with some of the least inspiring art of the 90s. Avengers related books had some pretty rank art on most of them at the time. Dark Phoenix saga wouldn't have gotten the same level of accolade if, oh, let's say Herb Trimpe was penciling it instead of Byrne in his prime.

This.

Aside from Jeff Johnson(Wonder Man) and Greg Capullio(Quasar) the art for Galactic Storm was pretty workman like.

Remember back then the Fan Favorite artists only worked on the X-books.
The rest of the Marvel line got the leftovers.

Expletive Deleted
06-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Aside from Jeff Johnson(Wonder Man) and Greg Capullio(Quasar) the art for Galactic Storm was pretty workman like.I quite liked Steve Epting's early work on Avengers.

That said, you're right. Workmanlike all around. Rik Levins on Cap was especially forgettable.

stelok
06-07-2009, 08:57 AM
The poroblam with the old format was that you might have an issue of Thor (for example) that was a decent Thor story in relation to the overall story, but didn't really progress the overall story that much OR you had an issue of Wonder Man that progressed the overall story,

Well, I sort of liked the Thor issue where Eric Masterson, who is far less experienced than Thor, beats the crap out of Gladiator

StoneGold
06-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I quite liked Steve Epting's early work on Avengers.

That said, you're right. Workmanlike all around. Rik Levins on Cap was especially forgettable.

It wasn't Epting's best period, though. He was doing this sort of John Buscema/Jim Lee thing at the time. But it didn't help much it was all leather jackets and Beardless Herc.

remoteman
06-07-2009, 10:05 AM

What's wrong with Herb Trimpe? :confused:

GHalecki
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
My point was that just because a story gets undone, that doesn't make it any less in quality.

Deason
06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Dont all the Marvel event books that are just comic versions of US war campaigns suck?

Lest any youngsters be misled by this reflexively glib response, be aware that Galactic Storm was based on Desert Storm in name only (the plot being more similar to the Kree Skrull War from the Avengers comic in the 1970s), and very few who have read it think it sucked.

The phrase "all the Marvel event books that are just comic versions of US war campaigns" implies that such books exist. I am eager to be corrected, but I don't think (apart from the name-only case above) that any do, whch renders the quip vapid and ill-informed at best.

Doc Goblin
06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I've noticed War of Kings has some similarities with Operation: Galactic Storm. Beyond just the obvious thing about it being another Shi'ar/Kree war. If you read the Guardians of the Galaxy tie-in, you'll see that team doing pretty much the same thing the Avengers did. They split up into three teams. One stays one, one goes to negotiate with the Shi'ar and one to the Kree.

Nothing wrong with it though. I'm just pointing it out. I actually like it and like that DnA have made a few small references to Operation: Galactic Storm so far.

It really was one of my favorite cosmic/space stories. Yeah, it could have been better. But for what comics were at the time, I thought it was really good. I reread it a little while back and was surprised at how it stands up. It was really well thought out and complex, which I see a lot of in comics today but not so much with comics back then.

Deason
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
My point was that just because a story gets undone, that doesn't make it any less in quality.

An obvious truth.

It's a little sad that it has to be pointed out.

Some people apparently confuse "quality" with their version of "collectability" without realising that's what they're doing. Copies of Superman #75, featuring the death of Superman, were for a while (before his resurrection) selling at $100.00 each on the second-hand market, but can now be picked up under cover price. Neither the varying market circumstances nor the fact he later "got better" affect the quality of the printed story one iota.

IMJ
06-07-2009, 03:23 PM
OP GS was one of the few gem stories from that era, IMO. The art could've been better here and there (although the Iron Man issues looked great), but in the end it's a solid story where most of the chapters play a nice part in bringing the whole thing together.

The dissention at the end was also a key moment in Avengers history.

GHalecki
06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I sort of liked the Thor issue where Eric Masterson, who is far less experienced than Thor, beats the crap out of Gladiator

I agree 100%, the problem was that the issue was a great THOR issue, but it had to skimp on the overarching plot in order to tell that story well (from what I remember. It HAS been a while).

It is just an unfortunate mechanic of the format.