PDA

View Full Version : Superman: For Tomorrow

ShelfboundSmitty
05-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Callahan: I'm happy to see a good review of For Tomorrow (or at least not excoriating). I recently read this in the original comics myself and figured the fuss was about the slow pace, because the story is actually really interesting. I thought the finale was a little underwhelming, but big slugfests aren't exactly Azz's preferred method of storytelling. To me, this is a high point of Superman; thanks for pointing out the reasons why.

ultraaman
05-14-2009, 08:40 AM
This story is an excellent example of how a story concept is completely let down by the story execution. I agree that the plot is very interesting and its implications to the nature of Superman was a great new take on the character. On that alone this 12-issue arc deserves the contemplation you've given it.

But -

The story is abysmal. Hackneyed dialog, one-note and retredded/redressed charactorizations, and the biggest transgression: it was DULL!!! At times it so beyond believable that I threw the book down (yes I know it's a comic book but every story has its own reality). And BA was given a great set-up for Zod yet still managed to screw that up. Until I read the Wiki entry on the story I had completely forgotten the scene with Wonder Woman and then groaned all over again.

I also don't share your love of the art. Jim Lee's pencils were good and had some great life to them but I hated the coloring.

However what do I know? I think most of what Marvel churns out nowadays is drek yet they manage to sell 50% of the books out there. I think this story would have been at home with that label on the cover.

Mart
05-14-2009, 02:53 PM
A very nicely written piece, Tim, but it doesn't make me want to go back and read the story again. As I've no memory of that groovy lightning cover, I suspect I jumped ship after a few issues. I just recall hating the gloomy mood - I'm fine with a Superman able to be introspective, but this guy seemed clinically depressed and my Superman doesn't need a reason for optimism, he is optimism. If there's a challenge he doesn't whine, he meets it head on.

ShelfboundSmitty
05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I wonder, based on your guys' comments (love that grammar!), if it's the length of the story and the fact that it was twelve monthly (ish) installments that killed this for a lot of people. As I said, I read it in one sitting for the first time and, save for the last couple of issues in which I do think it really starts to come apart, thought this was a great story with a really interesting central concept and a different way of looking at Superman. I wonder if it had been released as a single graphic novel, maybe half the length, if the reaction would be different. But I can't possibly see this as abysmal when there are so many atrocious Superman runs to consider--I mean, Chuck Austen was writing Action at this same time, wasn't he?