PDA

View Full Version : I haven't received any mail in an entire week.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I haven't gotten any mail this week...no bills, no junk mail, and not any of the three packages I've been expecting for more than a week now. It's weird, and a little scary. This has never happened to me. I talked to my local post office, and they say there's nothing wrong. What should I do?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Michael P
03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Kusanagi
03-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Provided the post office says nothing's wrong, I'd just sit back and enjoy it for awhile.

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Did the post office say nothing has been delivered?

My neighbour had the same problem a while back, turned out someone was pranking him and taking all the mail.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Provided the post office says nothing's wrong, I'd just sit back and enjoy it for awhile.

I am awaiting three packages of stuff I ordered, so I do hope they arrive. One was mailed from Hong Kong back on March 8, and two more were mailed from somewhere in the U.S. on March 11. Surely, those should be here by now.

It's gotten so unsettling that I sent myself an envelope with a blank sheet of paper in it just to see if it comes back to me. I dropped it in the mailbox an hour ago, so if it doesn't come back to me by Monday afternoon, then something stinks.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Did the post office say nothing has been delivered?

My neighbour had the same problem a while back, turned out someone was pranking him and taking all the mail.

I use a mailbox service. Both the guy who owns the shop (with whom I'm familiar and I know wouldn't prank me) and the clerks at the post office say there's nothing weird going on.

I'm wondering: is there any kind of law you can break in the U.S. or anything you can forget to pay (not my taxes; that's taken care of) where they can punish you by withholding your mail?

Is there *any* reason (other than suspicion of terrorism) that the post office can CHOOSE to not deliver your mail?

I'm seriously worried about this.

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I use a mailbox service. Both the guy who owns the shop (with whom I'm familiar and I know wouldn't prank me) and the clerks at the post office say there's nothing weird going on.

I'm wondering: is there any kind of law you can break in the U.S. or anything you can forget to pay (not my taxes; that's taken care of) where they can punish you by withholding your mail?

Is there *any* reason (other than suspicion of terrorism) that the post office can CHOOSE to not deliver your mail?

I'm seriously worried about this.

well if the Post office are saying everything is ok I wouldn't start worrying too much just yet. Give it a few more days.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
well if the Post office are saying everything is ok I wouldn't start worrying too much just yet. Give it a few more days.

I'll give it until Tuesday. If nothing comes through the pike by then, then there's definitely something wrong.

I've never gone so much as three days without something arriving in the mail...a bill, junk mail, SOMETHING.

To get nothing for seven straight days (six if you discount Sundays), and have three packages that are seriously late has me worried.

The problem is: if the post office is saying they've got nothing, I won't even know who to turn to if there's some funny business going on.

In theory, however, it can't happen, can it...somebody intercepting ALL my mail for an entire week? Why would anyone do it? How would they do it? Wouldn't they be breaking all kinds of federal laws? And why would they take even my junk mail?

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I'll give it until Tuesday. If nothing comes through the pike by then, then there's definitely something wrong.

I've never gone so much as three days without something arriving in the mail...a bill, junk mail, SOMETHING.

To get nothing for seven straight days (six if you discount Sundays), and have three packages that are seriously late has me worried.

The problem is: if the post office is saying they've got nothing, I won't even know who to turn to if there's some funny business going on.

In theory, however, it can't happen, can it...somebody intercepting ALL my mail for an entire week? Why would anyone do it? How would they do it? Wouldn't they be breaking all kinds of federal laws? And why would they take even my junk mail?

It does sound a bit disconcerting. To not even get any junk mail is kinda weird.
But as you say wait until Tuesday and if your letter you posted to yourself doesn't even come then go back to the PO. If they can't help you tell them you want to be referred to someone that can.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 06:18 PM
It does sound a bit disconcerting. To not even get any junk mail is kinda weird.
But as you say wait until Tuesday and if your letter you posted to yourself doesn't even come then go back to the PO. If they can't help you tell them you want to be referred to someone that can.

Yeah...I figure that if all else fails to come, then at least the bills and the junk should. It's like I don't exist anymore.

Sure hope that at least that letter I mailed to myself gets through.

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah...I figure that if all else fails to come, then at least the bills and the junk should. It's like I don't exist anymore.

Sure hope that at least that letter I mailed to myself gets through.

If you don't get any...and you're having trouble sorting it out....you might need to check with your billing companies that you don't owe anything. You don't want to end up getting cut off for anything.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 06:29 PM
If you don't get any...and you're having trouble sorting it out....you might need to check with your billing companies that you don't owe anything. You don't want to end up getting cut off for anything.

Yep. Have plans to do that if I don't get anything by Tuesday.

But I really wonder: IS there any legal reason the U.S. Postal Service would withhold a person's mail...and NOT contact that person? :confused:

Brandon Hanvey
03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe the mail carrier is putting your mail in the wrong mail box or at the wrong address?

DeadLast Johnny
03-27-2009, 06:54 PM
It's gotten so unsettling that I sent myself an envelope with a blank sheet of paper in it just to see if it comes back to me. I dropped it in the mailbox an hour ago, so if it doesn't come back to me by Monday afternoon, then something stinks.

This is the funniest thing I've heard/read all day. :smile:

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Maybe the mail carrier is putting your mail in the wrong mail box or at the wrong address?

I get my mail at one of those private mail box companies. Dozens of other people share that address, and nothing weird is happening to their mail, just mine.

The mail carrier could make that mistake with an item or two, sure, but an ENTIRE WEEK's worth of mail? :confused:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive! )

DeadLast Johnny
03-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Maybe the government is systematically trying to rub you out. Step by step.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Maybe the government is systematically trying to rub you out. Step by step.

I could *almost* believe it.

Maybe I'm getting retconned...

SUPERECWFAN1
03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
I always heard if your dead your mail pretty much ends quick now. Since your social security number is all over your bills. Now to scare you ....

At some big government computer your were accidently put in the deceased file. You , Buried Alien are no longer alive. Your gonna have hell getting people to realize you are in fact alive !

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I always heard if your dead your mail pretty much ends quick now. Since your social security number is all over your bills. Now to scare you ....

At some big government computer your were accidently put in the deceased file. You , Buried Alien are no longer alive. Your gonna have hell getting people to realize you are in fact alive !

Are you serious? I've been half-afraid that something like that has been going on.

I'm going to put in a call to some of the companies that bill me and see if they've gotten back anything as "undeliverable."

DonC
03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
But I really wonder: IS there any legal reason the U.S. Postal Service would withhold a person's mail...and NOT contact that person? :confused:

Well, if you were suspected of mail fraud they probably wouldn't tell you.

And the USPS can investige if you think there's something fishy going on. Stealing someone's mail is a federal offense with a two-year minimum sentence. (Which is why the USPS was able to keep most of their R2-D2 mail boxes.)

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, if you were suspected of mail fraud they probably wouldn't tell you.

What I'm worried about right now is that someone else is using my name and address to commit mail fraud.

And the USPS can investige if you think there's something fishy going on.

It's probably going to come down to that.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Got good news and bad news:

Good news: Contacted a few of my credit cards and my bank. They've got nothing weird going on with my address. The only address they have on file is the one I gave them, and nobody has contacted them about changing my address.

That's a relief, but it still doesn't provide an answer.

Bad news: I still don't know what the hell is going on.

I'm going to the post office first thing tomorrow morning and demanding to see the postmaster.

Is one week too short a time to raise hell with the post office on this, or am I justified to raise hell with them as early as tomorrow morning?

Note: last time I remember getting anything in the mail was a few days after St. Patrick's Day.

howyadoin
03-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Is one week too short a time to raise hell with the post office on this, or am I justified to raise hell with them as early as tomorrow morning.Well, it could just be that those packages have been delayed somewhere, and that there's no big problem. In which case you'd be raising hell for no reason. Why not just wait, as you said earlier, to see if the envelope you put in the mail shows up?

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, it could just be that those packages have been delayed somewhere, and that there's no big problem. In which case you'd be raising hell for no reason. Why not just wait, as you said earlier, to see if the envelope you put in the mail shows up?

I plan to wait until Tuesday before raising hell.

I'd like for those packages to come, but if they don't (or if I have to wait a little longer), that's no biggie. My concern is if someone out there is using my ID and my address for illegal purposes.

Or, if some really serious screw up at my post office is sending all my mail elsewhere.

It is a big relief that whatever is going on, it's not involving my bank or the people I pay bills to.

But I *do* have a tax refund check coming up soon that I want to get (to say nothing of payments owed to me from people I provide services for).

Paradox
03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Is it that out of the ordinary not to get mail for week? Happens to me all the time. I got nothing in the mail all this week except today.

FanboyStranger
03-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I can't offer any definitive answers, but I happened to have a conversation with my mailman today. (I moved recently, and this is the first time I've met him at my new address, which is literally 80 yards from my last address.) I haven't been recieving as much mail at my new address despite having changed my information with the USPS over a month before I moved. He asked if I had been receiving the mail I had been expecting, ie those items from people and companies that I informed that I would be moving to a new address. I replied that I had, but I used to get a lot more "shit" mail. He told me that mass mailings and other forms of junk mail had been significantly down in the past two months, presumably due to the economic climate, which he was very glad about. However, anyone you owe money to will track you down.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about your junk mail quotient being down.

Nick Soapdish
03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Is it that out of the ordinary not to get mail for week? Happens to me all the time. I got nothing in the mail all this week except today.

To me, it's a surprise when I don't get mail a single day. I'm always getting some flyer from a local supermarket or DirectTV or something from my credit cards asking me to sign up for credit protection even if I don't get bills that day. It's not a huge shock and happens once every one or two weeks, but it's still unusual.

Valmore
03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Maybe the post office is trying to save money by not mailing you anything B.A.

And anyway, yeah, I'm kinda like Nick over there in that it's highly unusual if there's nothing in the mailbox at all even one day of the week. If it's not a bill or magazine I still get some unsolicited mail or flyer or something.

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Yep, I very very rarely go a day with NOTHING in my mail box. There's almost always something, even if it's jsut a flyer for steam cleaning. A week is unusual.

Wait to see if your envelope you sent yourself turns up.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 11:31 PM

It's been pretty weird. I don't remember ever going more than two consecutive days without mail, so not getting anything for an entire week is weirding me out, especially since those packages I've been expecting should have arrived a few days ago.

I I replied that I had, but I used to get a lot more "shit" mail. He told me that mass mailings and other forms of junk mail had been significantly down in the past two months, presumably due to the economic climate, which he was very glad about.

I've thought about that too. The bad economy might mean that many businesses are cutting down on their marketing mail, but even if that's the case, it's weird that ALL of it has suddenly shut down during the past week.

Also, I think it's just me. The Sharps and my folks have been getting just as much junk mail as usual.

However, anyone you owe money to will track you down.

That's a given, but at the moment, I'd welcome even a bill in my mailbox (just so I know that my mail is still coming).

So, I wouldn't worry too much about your junk mail quotient being down.

Heh. Well, that's not the part that's worrying me. Even after my mail starts flowing again, losing the junk would be fine.

Maybe the post office is trying to save money by not mailing you anything B.A.

If I were free of all obligations, I wouldn't mind never receiving another piece of mail in my life. Because I'm not, however, the channels have to keep flowing.

And anyway, yeah, I'm kinda like Nick over there in that it's highly unusual if there's nothing in the mailbox at all even one day of the week. If it's not a bill or magazine I still get some unsolicited mail or flyer or something.

Yeah, that was the way it was for me up until about eight days ago. Since then...nothing.

It's the suddenness and completeness of inactivity in my mailbox that worries me.

Wait to see if your envelope you sent yourself turns up.

That's all I can do, I guess. To be safe, I mailed it from the post office of a neighboring town about five miles away.

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 11:34 PM
You know you really should let that guy know from the We never landed on the moon thread. Conspiracy much?

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 11:37 PM
You know you really should let that guy know from the We never landed on the moon thread. Conspiracy much?

Heh. Well, it doesn't take JFK-assassination-like crew of conspirators to pull off mail fraud.

All those years of reading/watching/listening to horror stories about ID theft have left me a bit spooked. But I haven't lost my wallet/credit cards/etc., and I don't give out confidential information over the Internet. So the whole thing has me a bit spooked.

I'm going to begin looking for answers tomorrow, but it is Saturday, so I don't know how successful I'll be.

Crowforge
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
That's par for course to me. All I get is bank statements most months.

howyadoin
03-27-2009, 11:47 PM
To me, it's a surprise when I don't get mail a single day. I'm always getting some flyer from a local supermarket or DirectTV or something from my credit cards asking me to sign up for credit protection even if I don't get bills that day. It's not a huge shock and happens once every one or two weeks, but it's still unusual.

Yep, I very very rarely go a day with NOTHING in my mail box. There's almost always something, even if it's jsut a flyer for steam cleaning. A week is unusual.You guys can't opt out of junkmail? I've been doing it for years now.

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
You guys can't opt out of junkmail? I've been doing it for years now.

you can stick a lil' sign on your mail box saying NO JUNK MAIL. Doesn't always help though.

howyadoin
03-27-2009, 11:52 PM
you can stick a lil' sign on your mail box saying NO JUNK MAIL. Doesn't always help though.It definitely works here.

Buried Alien
03-27-2009, 11:54 PM
It definitely works here.

You Canadians are generally more courteous and tactful. I remember that even the traffic signs in your country are more polite than the ones in the U.S.

Mermaid
03-27-2009, 11:56 PM
It definitely works here.

well I don't actually have a sign. I have a confession. I like junk mail. *ducks the looks of horror* hey i'm a girl! It's like shopping from the comfort of your own armchair!

Crowforge
03-27-2009, 11:59 PM
You Canadians are generally more courteous and tactful. I remember that even the traffic signs in your country are more polite than the ones in the U.S.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lgL7TjbG6R4/R2kKsYAtzMI/AAAAAAAACeY/hU7NpR28EJI/s400/shut%2Bup%2Band%2Bdrive.bmp

thehod
03-28-2009, 12:02 AM
I can't remember the last time I got something I actually wanted throught the mail. Its all bills, statements and someone trying to flog me a credit card or new windows.

Mermaid
03-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I can't remember the last time I got something I actually wanted throught the mail. Its all bills, statements and someone trying to flog me a credit card or new windows.

me too actually. You have a hole in your front door for your mail though, so at least it arrives dry! Mine's always soggy from half of it hanging out in the rain because the junk mail guy got there first and filled the damn thing up.

DarkBlade
03-28-2009, 07:53 AM
me too actually. You have a hole in your front door for your mail though, so at least it arrives dry! Mine's always soggy from half of it hanging out in the rain because the junk mail guy got there first and filled the damn thing up.
... get a bigger mailbox?

DonC
03-28-2009, 08:52 AM

You have a junk mailman and a regular mailman?

Valmore
03-28-2009, 10:34 AM
You guys can't opt out of junkmail? I've been doing it for years now.

I suppose I could, but maybe on some weird level, even getting junk mail makes me feel like my existence is validated in a small way.

Or I'm just too damned lazy to bother. And using the shredder is fun.

Sabrina_Fried
03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I had the same thing happen to me once about a year and a half ago. I got absolutely no mail, including the weekly flyers from the local grocery stores for about a week or so.

Fortunetly at the time there was at least one person that I know of who works for Canada Post living in my building. So I struck up a conversation with him. Turns out this guy (his job is a mail sorter, not a delivery person) had also not been receiving mail for about a week and so he asked some questions around his workspace.

To make a long story short, it turned out that our usual delivery person had gone on vacation and through a screwup at management level, no one had been assigned to cover their deliveries to our building. So, when they came back from vacation, I had a nice stack of week-old junk mail crammed into my teeny-tiny mail box along with the bills that I had been expecting, most of which were now so close to the pay-by date that I had to pay all of them online to avoid late fees (even the ones I normally pay by mail). Canada Post is 100% obligated to deliver every single piece of mail that you are supposed to receive...eventually. Even stale junk mail and expired coupons.

Sabrina

howyadoin
03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I suppose I could, but maybe on some weird level, even getting junk mail makes me feel like my existence is validated in a small way.

Or I'm just too damned lazy to bother. And using the shredder is fun.I had no idea so many people around here had mail issues.

K'Nort
03-28-2009, 02:27 PM
This happened to me about six months ago. Turned out there was a mix-up and they had me listed with a vacation hold. And it was only listed some places in the system, so the first employee that I asked about it at the post office didn't see anything weird on the account. That was delivery to my residence, though.

Mermaid
03-28-2009, 02:43 PM
You have a junk mailman and a regular mailman?

Yes....well that is, regular people get paid to deliver the junk and the free local paper. Are you saying your mailman delivers the junk mail? He'd have to carry a ton of stuff! Our regular mailman wouldn't be able to cope with how much junk mail there was.

K'Nort
03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes....well that is, regular people get paid to deliver the junk and the free local paper. Are you saying your mailman delivers the junk mail? He'd have to carry a ton of stuff! Our regular mailman wouldn't be able to cope with how much junk mail there was.

In the States, the mailman delivers the junk mail too. And it is quite a lot. They pretty much drive house to house anymore.

Ronald Bryan
03-28-2009, 02:47 PM
That's why they drive around in trucks. To carry around all the junk.

Typo Lad
03-28-2009, 05:18 PM

Wanna be REALLY sure?

Mail yourself a GPS device. Turned on.

DarkBlade
03-28-2009, 06:36 PM
In the States, the mailman delivers the junk mail too. And it is quite a lot. They pretty much drive house to house anymore.

Box designs have to be ones approved by the Postmaster General. Only people supposed to be opening that box are US Post Office employees and the resident. The guys running around with extra flyers and stuff are technically not allowed to put them INTO the box.

Which is why you oftentimes will find it tacked onto the post or rubberbanded to it instead, if they didn't send it through the mail.

psychic_therapy
03-28-2009, 07:21 PM
This is an interesting problem to have. I actually get worried if I do receive mail!

Mermaid
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
That's why they drive around in trucks. To carry around all the junk.

Trucks? Well thre's your main difference then. Our mail is delivered like this:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/melbournemermaid/0653086700.jpg

(and no i didn't take the photo)

FanboyStranger
03-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I read through a bunch more of posts on this topic, and I feel that it's very important to write that you are absolutlely right to worry about identity theft. I had my identity stolen via the internet about four years ago. Despite the fact that the character who stole my identity was living my life far better than I was-- over a dozen charges to escort services in California as well as quite a few charges to florists (!)-- which I still find both a bit ironic and funny, sorting that mess out has been a disaster. My bank and principal credit card company sorted the matter out quickly and gave me my money back, but it still appears as unpaid on my credit reports. My lawyer and I have appealed these charges-- in fact, these charges are why I have a lawyer-- but those appeals have been under review for about three years now. (The FBI actually caught the guy, and yet I still have the black mark.) If you're worried about ID theft, I would recommend getting copies of your three major credit reports as soon as possible. (Freecreditreport.com is one way to go about this, but be warned they will subscribe you to their monthly service after this.)

Paradox
03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Mermaid shows something wholly inadequate for U.S. needs:

Trucks? Well thre's your main difference then. Our mail is delivered like this:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/melbournemermaid/0653086700.jpg

(and no i didn't take the photo)

What, do they deliver to like three houses and have to go back and refill???

EDIT: BTW, our trucks aren't really very big. The look smaller than a pick-up, actually.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8wu8vCRlv1A/SCL34k5I_xI/AAAAAAAABVk/kkLqHwWlubg/s400/800px-USPS-Mail-Truck.jpg

DonC
03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
So...? character limit

Mermaid
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
oh good point!!!

all this fuss and now we're left hanging. Isn't that always the way?

Buried Alien
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Went to the mailbox shop. My own "test" envelope arrived, as did a
bill, so it seems that the system isn't broken after all. :smile:

BUT, my three anticipated packages are still MIA.

Mermaid
04-01-2009, 03:19 AM

Ah there you go then! :smile:

sHayden
04-01-2009, 05:19 AM

Well good thing the bill came. About a year ago, I never received one of my monthly credit card bills. I was having such a hectic month I didn't even notice, and ended up paying about 15 days late. They jacked my interest rate through the roof for about a year. That sucked.

Justin D.
04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
The answer is simple.

You're dead.

Buried Alien
04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
This experience has also showed me how wasteful and inefficient our postal system in the U.S. is (no wonder it's running out of money).

I live in a town called Diamond Bar on the eastern edge of Los Angeles County. When I sent out my test envelope, I sent it from the post office at Chino Hills...about five miles away.

Now you'd think the envelope would travel the relatively short five miles back to my mailbox in Diamond Bar.

But instead (judging from the cancellation stamps), this envelope went from Chino Hills to Pasadena (25 miles to the northwest), and then to the City of Industry (about ten miles west of Chino Hills) before finally coming back to me in Diamond Bar.

Talk about a waste of resources...