PDA

View Full Version : Hard Time (from DC's defunct DC Focus imprint)

the_hood
03-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Hard Time focuses on 15-year-old Ethan Harrow who was imprisoned because of his involvement in a highschool shootout and has a power of "escaping" his body in a spectral form.

This was written by the late Steve Gerber and was the only one who lasted in the DC Focus imprint. The story's great, but too bad the sales of the second season were low, DC had to cancel the series.

dancj
03-12-2009, 05:50 AM
DC shot themselves in the foot with this one.

The book had picked up a good buzz from the first series, but they didn't finish collecting the first series in TPB before they started the second series so a whole load of people who might have jumped on board with the second run didn't.

will_butler
03-12-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm a huge Steve Gerber fan, and this was second only to his Howard the Duck in my estimation. Phenomenal series, with one of the best final issues I've ever read, despite DC denying him enough time to wrap things up as he might have otherwise. I thought so highly of it that I had all nineteen of the issues bound into a hardcover book. And though I've complained about it before, I'd again point out how lousy a track record DC has with nurturing quality books. In addition to Hard Time, favorites of mine that they axed include:

Resurrection Man
Aztek: The Ultimate Man
Major Bummer
Fallen Angel
Outlaw Nation
American Virgin
The Boys (slightly different situation, but one that they bungled, nonetheless)
And a number of others I'm forgetting now

FanboyStranger
03-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Undoubtedly one of the best series of the last decade. I wish DC would reprint the rest of the series in two tpbs or the entire series as a deluxe hardcover, perhaps with some of the proceeds going to ACTOR or the Hero Initiative.

stealthwise
03-12-2009, 07:15 PM
The first trade was... ok, but not enticing enough to get me to pick up the rest.

I really preferred Kinetic.

dancj
03-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Kinetic was good too. And that's all nicely contained in one very cheap TPB

scratchie
03-17-2009, 08:28 AM
I thought so highly of it that I had all nineteen of the issues bound into a hardcover book. Me too! Love this book.

And though I've complained about it before, I'd again point out how lousy a track record DC has with nurturing quality books. Don't even get me started on Gerber's Doctor Fate. If they had launched that book as planned, Gerb might have had time to finish the story before he passed away. Instead they stuffed it into an overpriced anthology title branded as one of the least popular "company events" in recent history. I think Doctor Fate was the best thing he'd written since Howard the Duck, myself (probably the most personal).

will_butler
03-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I just picked up his Dr. Fate a few weeks ago, and was really impressed with it. But then I can almost always find something to admire in any of his work.

scratchie
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
But then I can almost always find something to admire in any of his work.
True for me, too, but reading Dr. Fate as a 40-something-year-old made me feel like reading Howard the Duck as a 12-year-old. It's really good.

Flight
03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
The only thing I remember about this book, was that it was awesome!