PDA

View Full Version : CBR: WC: 100 Bullets

CBR News
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Writer Brian Azzarello and cover artist Dave Johnson met with fans at San
Francisco's WonderCon to discuss Vertigo’s “100 Bullets,” from the book's origins
to the upcoming final issue to what comes next for the creative team.

Full article here (http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20302).

brocca
03-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Dear friends,

100 bullets is going to finish--eventually I am almost inclined to say.

After a very strong start the series began to dwindle a little and I lost contact around the number forty issues. On a hunch I picked the series up again by number seventy-nine and I am enjoying every bit of it since. I even went out of the way to buy back issues to partially fill the gap in the collection.

All in all the confusing history of the families and the minutemen's tradition and who is going to kill who and why isn't easy to fathom but the book is so full of theatrical scenes with Azzarello's brilliant dialogue that it doesn't matter. I am thinking among others about the scene in issue #70 in which one of the Rome brothers talked to the butcher in a market hall or of the top notch stand alone issue featuring Benito.

Eduardo Risso is very strong in giving his characters a body language that makes them come alive and stay in the memory as types like a gambler, a punk with his dog, the businesswoman, etc. His attention to seemingly superfluous detail is no contradiction to his economic line art laden with expressionist shadows but rather makes you "smell" the environment the story takes place in--be it beach cafs or rundown bars or boxer's gyms, even Paris comes across believably. Very easily you find yourself drawn into the pages by the clever lay-out of shifting visual angles.

I am looking forward to the "grand finale" of the series. Also I want to see further collaboration of these fine craftsmen Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, thank you, sirs!

Greetings--