PDA

View Full Version : Good Spectre Stories?

Ex_
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I think The Spectre seems pretty cool. Are there any essential or cool stories to read about him?

4thHorseman
01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
I would definately try out the Day of Vengeance mini from a few years back along with the Final Crisis: Revelations mini out now.

Ex_
01-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I would definately try out the Day of Vengeance mini from a few years back along with the Final Crisis: Revelations mini out now.

Thanks. That was the one lead-in to IC that I skipped. I guess I'll try it out.

Alex Smith
01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
He's also featured in Day of Judgement.

Ryan Day
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
John Ostrander's Spectre series from the early 90s is fantastic, and really covers the divine & epic scope of the character.

Unfortunately there's only one trade, but back issues shouldn't cost too much.

Shellhead
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Adventure Comics #431-440, published in the early '70s, featured some great Spectre stories. Quoting Wikipedia, "This series, written by Michael Fleisher and drawn by Jim Aparo, was notorious for its gruesome depictions of the Spectre's poetic-justice style retributions against criminals: they were melted like wax, turned to wood and run through sawmills, transformed into glass then allowed to fall over and shatter into many pieces."

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/01436986896.432.gif

Ex_
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Adventure Comics #431-440, published in the early '70s, featured some great Spectre stories. Quoting Wikipedia, "This series, written by Michael Fleisher and drawn by Jim Aparo, was notorious for its gruesome depictions of the Spectre's poetic-justice style retributions against criminals: they were melted like wax, turned to wood and run through sawmills, transformed into glass then allowed to fall over and shatter into many pieces."

Whoa. Awesome.

jackdaw53
01-13-2009, 02:01 PM
The John Ostrander/ Tom Mandrake Spectre series was really good. Ran for about 60 ish issues, and back issues available at a laughably low price. It really is one of those series that is hard to fault.

Karl O'Neill
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I enjoyed Day of vengence and Day of Judgement.

oddballuk
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I think The Spectre seems pretty cool. Are there any essential or cool stories to read about him?

As a few others have said, the entire Ostrander/Mandrake series from the 90s is excellent.

Matt K
01-13-2009, 02:52 PM
John Ostrander's Spectre series from the early 90s is fantastic, and really covers the divine & epic scope of the character.

Unfortunately there's only one trade, but back issues shouldn't cost too much.

I third this. It's a pretty awesome run and requires no knowledge of anything else.

I also enjoyed the Hal Jordan Spectre run but that seems to not be for everyone. That said, it also take a few issues to get going.

Shellhead
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
A couple of years ago, I picked up the trade for the beginning of the Ostrander/Mandrake run, but I thought it wasn't as good as their earlier work on Grimjack. A little too melodramatic and preachy. However, I remember reading a few later issues in that run back in the day, and those were better.

marshal99
01-13-2009, 04:59 PM
The Ostrander/Mandrake series definitely , avoid the JMS Spectre hal series. The ostrander/mandrake spectre series set the bar and expand on the spectre mythos to include bibical events.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Minor correction: J.M. DeMatteis did the Hal-Spectre.

And yeah, give the Ostrander/Mandrake material a shot. I got the trade of the first 4 off Amazon recently.

Ex_
01-13-2009, 07:14 PM
I'll try and find the Ostrander stuff in back issues. Thanks, everyone!

dancj
01-14-2009, 04:32 AM
Thanks. That was the one lead-in to IC that I skipped. I guess I'll try it out.
Day of Vengeance is really a thinly veiled advertisement for Shadowpact.

Personally I think The Spectre works best as a supporting character and (for my tastes) he's never been better than in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, though I did enjoy the couple of recent David Lapham trades too.

stingerman
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
As a few others have said, the entire Ostrander/Mandrake series from the 90s is excellent.

Definitely, pick this up - recommended!

Sean Walsh
01-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I'd recommend John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake's SPECTRE series.

Also, the old WRATH OF THE SPECTRE stories from the late 1970's (Adventure Comics backup stories, by Mike Fleischer and Jim Aparo) were quite good - and those are all collected in a TPB of the same name.

drinkblatzbeer
01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
i'll basically agree with two parties here...

the adventure comics spectre stuff and the 90's ostrander/mandrake series...

other than that, and i've got much of the spectre stuff from silver age on, the rest is kind of so-so...
most writers just don't get the right feel for him...

FanboyStranger
01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Count me in with the crowd that's been recommending the Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre series-- certainly one of the best series of the '90s. Also, I do recommend the Fleisher/Aparo Wrath of the Spectre tpb-- the stories within may seem a bit tame by today's standards, but at the time, they were groundbreaking work.

shaxper
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Pure comic book crack! This run is my absolute favorite guilty pleasure reading. I think the giant pair of scissors was my favorite Spectre execution scene.

Chad
01-14-2009, 06:37 PM
The Wrath of the Spectre isn't just the name of a tpb which collects the Fleisher/Aparo run (plus two or three stories that were written in the 70's but pencilled some 15 or so years later) but of a four issue mini-series released in 1988 that reprinted the same. I bring this up because it may be cheaper to buy those four issues rather than the tpb. Either way, it definately meets the criteria of "essential" and "cool".

DC also reprinted the Spectre's first two appearances from 1940 in a faux-replica 80 page GIANT in 2004. There's about 20 pages worth of material there if you can track this down and despite the fact that he was a new creation, Jerry Siegel knew what he was doing when he wrote this story as all the hallmarks of the Spectre are present - the unrepentant killer; spirit of vengeance; inventiveness when it comes to turning people into things (he lets one gangster touch him just so his men can watch his skin shrivel up until he's nothing but a skeleton who pleads to be put out of his misery) - plus it depicts his origin.

drinkblatzbeer
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Pure comic book crack! This run is my absolute favorite guilty pleasure reading. I think the giant pair of scissors was my favorite Spectre execution scene.

yes, the art was the highlight of that run...
i couldn't think of how to explain it before, but fluid is the best way i think i can...unconventional and fluid...
it set the perfect mood for the title...