PDA

View Full Version : Palin's drug connection

Acecool
12-20-2008, 11:54 AM
In the news, Bristol Palin's soon to be in law is being charged with six felonies. I find this interesting because of how Sarah conducted her self on the campaign trail. She kept harping about connections between obama and terrorist, tenuous as they were.

Now practically her family members are charged with producing illegal substances. "Not in the real America don' cha know".

Drugs/ (http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/12/19/bristol-palins-future-mother-in-law-arrested-on-drug-charges/)

Paradox
12-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Is it meth? Is it meth? That would be delightfully cliche! :biggrin:

Tadhg
12-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Is it meth? Is it meth? That would be delightfully cliche! :biggrin:

I read Oxycontin.

moebius
12-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Probably why Rush liked Palin so much. Levi would hang around the campaign, and Rush could smell his mother's stash on him.

Novaya Havoc
12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
In the news, Bristol Palin's soon to be in law is being charged with six felonies. I find this interesting because of how Sarah conducted her self on the campaign trail. She kept harping about connections between obama and terrorist, tenuous as they were.

Yes.

Sarah Palin's daughter's shotgun-wedding fiance's mother using drugs obviously means that Sarah likes to toke up and take a nice, hard hit of heroin.

You know, as opposed to Obama, who has admitted in a published work to habitually snorting cocaine and being a druggie.

Yeah. OH PALIN IS SO AWFUL!!!1

Paradox
12-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Tadhg goes for another red-neck drug:

I read Oxycontin.

Ooooo, almost as good!

Novaya Havoc
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Conversely, I once dated a guy who I later found out did cocaine.

This clearly means that my grandmother is a habitual user of cocaine.

Logic wins.

Tadhg
12-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Ooooo, almost as good!

Eh. I just see it as such a non-story. A small-town woman involved with prescription drug abuse.

Aaron Kashtan
12-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes.

Sarah Palin's daughter's shotgun-wedding fiance's mother using drugs obviously means that Sarah likes to toke up and take a nice, hard hit of heroin.

You know, as opposed to Obama, who has admitted in a published work to habitually snorting cocaine and being a druggie.

Obama used cocaine when he was in high school, which was more than 20 years ago. No one suspects him of still being a druggie. Nor has he made any effort to hide his former drug use. There is clearly no comparison here.

It's shocking, the lengths you'll go to in order to defend Sarah Palin.

SUPERECWFAN1
12-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah , well as much as Sarah Palin is a piss poor VP choice and scares the shit outta me as a potential Presidential candidate , and is a moron of the highest order.....she isn't at fault here. Its not Palin's fault Bristol's future mother-in-law was raised by the Dukes of Hazzard and she's all off doing West Virginia proud by nailing Oxycotin.

I read that people have tried to get statements . And these 2 were massively let down when they heard it wasn't pot or coke....

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/StephanieAnn_210/Cheech-And-Chong.jpg

K'Nort
12-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I loathe Palin. And being from Alaska, I actually know of what I speak.

But it's very rare that the parents of a couple have much of anything in common with each other. "Practically family" is totally inaccurate. It's not even a not-yet thing. Depending on where everyone lives, the bride's family and the groom's family may never ever really get to know each other.

I'm all for slamming the woman on something that has a basis in logic, but this isn't it.

Novaya Havoc
12-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Obama used cocaine when he was in high school, which was more than 20 years ago. No one suspects him of still being a druggie. Nor has he made any effort to hide his former drug use. There is clearly no comparison here.

Sarah Palin wouldn't need defending if the argument wasn't out there in bizarro world. Because Sarah Palin is not the topic of debate. Some random woman is.

My uncle's ex-wife (aunt) is also a drug abuser. So this, by your logic, means that my sister is one as well.

StoneGold
12-20-2008, 01:01 PM

But it's very rare that the parents of a couple have much of anything in common with each other. "Practically family" is totally inaccurate. It's not even a not-yet thing. Depending on where everyone lives, the bride's family and the groom's family may never ever really get to know each other.

I'm all for slamming the woman on something that has a basis in logic, but this isn't it.

In this case, I think it's less who was doing what, more about Palin's constant talking about how her Wasilla small town family values were the "Real America," as opposed to the rest of us. Meanwhile, her daughter's babydaddy's momma is getting busted.

That, or it's just one more thing to make fun of. Your pick.

dupont2005
12-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Sarah Palin wouldn't need defending if the argument wasn't out there in bizarro world. Because Sarah Palin is not the topic of debate. Some random woman is.

My uncle's ex-wife (aunt) is also a drug abuser. So this, by your logic, means that my sister is one as well.

its not some random woman, its palins grandchilds other grandmother. nobody is implicating palin in any wrongdoing, just pointing out the irony of palins supposedly morally superior campaign and their attempts to blame obama for the actions of people he hardly knows, all the while her knocked up teen daughters inlaws are being charged with felony drug crimes. if you do not see the irony in that, well........

Emperor Vulcan
12-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes.

I clearly can see how Sarah Palin is the next drug kingpin.

spoon_jenkins
12-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes.

You're missing (or ignoring) the point that Acecool. He's not saying that Obama is terrorist and Palin is a junkie. Rather, this is a comeuppance for some who was an advocate of guilt by association. By the standards that Sarah Palin set forth, the drug crimes of Levi's mom should be viewed as a reflection on Palin's character and her ability to govern. That doesn't mean that the poster follows Palin's beliefs, but if Palin is not a hypocrite, then either she should engage in a period of self-flagellation in which she reassures the public that she isn't the miscreant she appears to be (under the Palin standard) or perhaps resign.

Bouncing Boy
12-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes.

It's likely that Palin is as much a "druggie" as Obama is a "terrorist"...which is to say she's not a druggie at all. But given that she implied that Obama is a terrorist due to guilt by association, she opened herself up for this criticism.

DonC
12-20-2008, 04:09 PM
What's the big deal? Palin's daughter is never going to marry this druggie's son.

And New York City's mayor smokes weed.

Wait, that's Ex Machina.

Ontir
12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I read Oxycontin.

AKA "Limbaughs!"

It's OK if you get caught peddling the drug of choice of a prime GOP propagandist. :wink:

Sean Walsh
12-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Why does Sarah Palin need defending? She didn't do anything. It's the possible in law that needs defending.

Focus the energy you devote to pointless partisan hate on our President-Elect.....who has actually done cocaine, and is also naming lots of people you lefties apparently hate to his Cabinet...

Ontir
12-20-2008, 07:59 PM
See having done cocaine and come clean is one thing, but Palin alleged that Obama was a terrorist because he worked in Chicage, where there is an activist who was in the Weather Underground. By that standard her connection to her daughter's future in-law makes her a drug dealer.

I've not heard any cabinet appointments that upset me thus far. I'm not thrilled with the minister he's invited to inauguration, and I've sent a rather specific message expressing that, but in terms of getting the country back on track and to something resembling a Constitutional basis, I think he's doing fine thus far. I'll be sure to let you know if that changes.

Gary_B
12-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Why does Sarah Palin need defending? She didn't do anything. It's the possible in law that needs defending.

Focus the energy you devote to pointless partisan hate on our President-Elect.....who has actually done cocaine, and is also naming lots of people you lefties apparently hate to his Cabinet...

Lefties? There's no such thing in American politics. And as time keeps trudging along I challenge any political party to find leaders or representatives who have life histories so squeaky clean that they can be offered up for microscopic scrutiny by the media and political opponents eager to expose any fault no matter how small. I'd rather judge them by what they do once they win public endorsement. Will the new guy fix the economy that was flushed down the toilet by the previous guy? How many foreigners will he kill without ever explaining in real terms why he invaded their native land? Will he do something to encourage low and middle-income earners to grow and prosper or will he bend over for corporations and lobbyists? Real people experiment with drugs in their youth and try to find their own way through a myriad of social, religious and cultural choices and pressures but only cold, callous and immoral fuck-wads sell it all down the river to gain influence, whether that influence is over neighbours, business acquaintances, political opponents, countries, or ideologies not their own.

Edit: By American standards I'm a lefty. No doubt.

Acecool
12-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Yes.

Well, palin made it so very plain that any casual connection should be explored. By her own logic she may as well have had a meth lab in her own basement.

Acecool
12-20-2008, 10:54 PM

Logic wins.

You're right, therefore Palin is a very bad person or has piss poor logic for suggesting that Obama was a terrorist.

Acecool
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM

Yeah, the real point was to slam her on her own logic. You know friendly with terrorist type thing and all.

Novaya Havoc
12-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Palin alleged that Obama was a terrorist

No. She did not. That's your own special brand of fantasy.

Justifying ridiculous hyperbole (PALIN HAS A DRUG CONNECTION!) with a total fabricated myth (Palin discussing Bill Ayers = "Palin alleged Obama is a terrorist!") is all on you.

SUPERECWFAN1
12-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Palin cleary in her speeches claimed Obama palled around with terrorists and tried to paint him as one with links to him knowing Ayers years ago on a school board. To claim Palin didn't is a huge lie...since we have her comments on TV for weeks drumming it.

Paradox
12-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Novaya Havoc just has the wrong word:

Justifying ridiculous hyperbole (PALIN HAS A DRUG CONNECTION!) with a total fabricated myth (Palin discussing Bill Ayers = "Palin alleged Obama is a terrorist!") is all on you.

"Alleged"? Probably not. "Heavily implied over and over and over and over"? On the nose.

Paul McEnery
12-21-2008, 12:32 AM

Every time you lie, Palin's tits go just a little further south.

mikekerr3
12-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Every time you lie, Palin's tits go just a little further south.

They must be in Brownsville TX by now.

Plain firmly believes inb smear by association, she is assocatied with a drug dealers so in can be supposed that he approves of drug dealing, thats the standard she put forth let the idiot live with it.

Roquefort Raider
12-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Oh, come on.

Copy-pasted from CNN:

"We see America as the greatest force for good in this world," (...) "Our opponent though, is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country."

Ms. Palin has been throwing stones while living in a glass house. That's the point of this thread.

Calybos
12-21-2008, 02:00 PM
But Palin met her once. Obviously, that proves she has long-standing ties with drug dealers and has been in bed with them practically since birth!

This is what's known as "poetic justice" for the idiotic anti-Obama smears over all his supposed "Questionable Assocations." And I, for one, am loving it. Eat crow, Palindrones! Even your own arguments work against you.

Ontir
12-21-2008, 02:54 PM

No, it wasn't fantasy, mine or anyone else's. She continued to hammer that there was some nefarious connection between Ayers and Obama and that Ayers was a terrorist so... She never said the word outright, she had nothing to go on, only innuendo to sling, which thankfully people saw through. This is a case of "sauce for the goose." The standard you hold others to can and should be applied to you.

It's interesting that it's taken you so long to say much of anything about the election, which went the right way.

Night
12-21-2008, 09:09 PM
lets see...

1 degree = 3 degrees of separation

three more and you have Bacon

terrorist group leader = Accused of misconduct with Prescription Drugs

I'm sure all the officials who abuse the patriot act appreciate your endorsement.

Campaign investigation of a presidential candidate = witch hunt of a former VP candidate

I see how these are so alike

Paradox
12-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Since when is mocking someone a "witch hunt"? I don't think anyone in this thread thinks anything should be done to Palin. It's just a bunch of "nyah"s and illustrates how stupid HER point was in the first place.

Nick Soapdish
12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Since when is mocking someone a "witch hunt"? I don't think anyone in this thread thinks anything should be done to Palin. It's just a bunch of "nyah"s and illustrates how stupid HER point was in the first place.

I believe that all criticism and jokes about Palin are automatically considered a partisan witch hunt. Especially the ethics investigation by the Republican legislature.

GRANT!
12-21-2008, 10:33 PM
And New York City's mayor smokes weed.

Wait, that's Ex Machina.

Bloomberg fessed up to smoking pot before he got elected.

worstblogever
12-22-2008, 05:45 AM
I believe that all criticism and jokes about Palin are automatically considered a partisan witch hunt. Especially the ethics investigation by the Republican legislature.

There's nothing bipartisan about idiocy, though. Both parties have members who seem to think Ms. Palin, and her ridiculous comments cost her running mate the presidential election.

And I can't help but wonder how she'll do when she's up for re-election in Alaska, at this point.

Ontir
12-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Exactly. Live by the sword...

Never forget Marion Barry, Mayor of DC who was arrested on drug charges and served 6 months in prison, then emerged to run and win again. There was a joke that his campaign was "Give me another Crack at it!"

There were also Alaskans who attended some of her speeches calling her "the Alaska Disasta!"

rick
12-22-2008, 10:52 AM
While I completly agree with the point being made about Palin, I can't help but feel sorry for the other woman, it's pretty rough that her personal troubles are being turned into revenge fodder.

I doubt she deserves to be in the middle of all of this.

StoneGold
12-22-2008, 10:58 AM
While I completly agree with the point being made about Palin, I can't help but feel sorry for the other woman, it's pretty rough that her personal troubles are being turned into revenge fodder.

Wait till she cuts a country album.

Joe the Oxy Addict?

dupont2005
12-22-2008, 11:16 AM

she would have made local news regardless, i doubt she is too worried about the rest of the nation reading an article and then instantly forgetting her name and moving on

Charles RB
12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, palin made it so very plain that any casual connection should be explored. By her own logic she may as well have had a meth lab in her own basement.

It'd be bloody great if it turned out she actually did.

To claim Palin didn't is a huge lie...since we have her comments on TV for weeks drumming it.

This is Novaya, so don't expect him/her (which was Novaya claiming last time?) to recognise this.

Ontir
12-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Novaya sticks to revisionism whenever something doesn't fit with his/her idiocy.

Paul McEnery
12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Since when is mocking someone a "witch hunt"? I don't think anyone in this thread thinks anything should be done to Palin. .

Speak for yourself. I think somebody should be paid to shoot nerf arrows at her all day every day.

howyadoin
12-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Speak for yourself. I think somebody should be paid to shoot nerf arrows at her all day every day.Hey, I'm lookin' for gainful employment these days.

Paul McEnery
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Hey, I'm lookin' for gainful employment these days.

Nice try, arsonist.

howyadoin
12-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Nice try, arsonist.Curses. Foiled again.

Novaya Havoc
12-22-2008, 04:21 PM
And I can't help but wonder how she'll do when she's up for re-election in Alaska, at this point.

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/12/19/alaska-senate-poll-palin-55-murkowski-31/

Palin: 55 | Murkowski: 31
AK-Sen Hypothetical.

I'm sure Palin is just fine in Alaska, WBE.

Paradox
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Paul McEnery gets off-line:

Speak for yourself. I think somebody should be paid to shoot nerf arrows at her all day every day.

Yes, yes, no one wants anything done to her about THIS. Her other stuff...well, yeah, I agree with you. :biggrin:

Paradox
12-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Ontir notes:

Novaya sticks to revisionism whenever something doesn't fit with his/her idiocy.

I have no idea why anyone pays any attention to him/her anyway (other than the always fun "poking with a stick"). It's pretty clear he/she picks political candidates by their genitals.

Ontir
12-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I have no idea why anyone pays any attention to him/her anyway (other than the always fun "poking with a stick"). It's pretty clear he/she picks political candidates by their genitals.

It's the "poking with a stick," DEFINITELY! :evilsmile:

fly on the wall
12-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Logic wins.

Palin is such a lightweight. I don't know why the Democrats seem so bent on demonization of her. Her kid is involved with drugs. Big deal. Most of the people trashing her in this thread are also involved with drugs, don't cha know.

The tenuosity of the slams against Palin are as flimsy as the guilt by association charges against Obama. Obama gets a ride with you people while you can't castigate Palin enough.

Stop already. Leave her alone. Let her fade into anonymity. Go take your recreational drugs and impregnate your girlfriends out of wedlock and let Palin fade into anonymity.

Are you democrats really that threatened by this silly, awkward woman? She'll never get elected President, you betcha.

Calm down. Stop frothing at the mouth. I think an awful lot of you can't tell the difference between Palin and Tina Fey.

The democratic taste for demonization of innocent republicans is a thing of wonder and awe.

dupont2005
12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Go take your recreational drugs and impregnate your girlfriends out of wedlock

so you think bristol is a democrat?

Paul McEnery
12-23-2008, 05:52 PM

For the most part, I should like to see this happen more often.

Mostly in the Fakir Mustafa mode.

Nick Soapdish
12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Palin is such a lightweight. I don't know why the Democrats seem so bent on demonization of her. Her kid is involved with drugs. Big deal. Most of the people trashing her in this thread are also involved with drugs, don't cha know.

Actually, her kid isn't. Her kid's fiance's mother is.

And I think that it has something to do with the right's belief that she's the second coming. Of either Reagan or Quayle. We agree with those that liken her to Quayle, but

The tenuosity of the slams against Palin are as flimsy as the guilt by association charges against Obama. Obama gets a ride with you people while you can't castigate Palin enough.

So are you suggesting that the interviews with Katie Couric and Charles Gibson are fake?
Or that she doesn't actually know how much energy Alaska creates even though she's The Energy Expert?
Or that she's a Russian foreign policy expert because her proximity of Russia gives her special insight to the fact that Russia is close to Alaska?
Or that the video of her getting protected from witches is fake?
Or that the legislative investigation into her on ethics was bogus?
Or that she's been heavily in favor of pork except when it's politically disadvantageous?

Which of those charges is she innocent of?

Most of the slams on Palin center around a few points and the main one is that she's a lightweight know-nothing. The rest are cherries on the top of that sundae.

Ontir
12-23-2008, 10:46 PM

Not so much demonizing as calling her, and her party, on their collective crap. If Barack Obama had a daughter who was pregnant and un-married during the election, they'd have been demonized by the GOP as the worst parents ever, and their daughter would be the second coming of the welfare queen, but Palin's a Republican, so the party canonized her as a heroine of "right to life."

Again, that's exactly the point. Palin then went on to continuously allege that Obama was a terrorist and/or linked to terrorists and terrorism. Now her daughter's intended in-law is caught selling drugs and it's not supposed to have any impact on Palin. If it was Obama's in-law she'd have lambasted him as someone who subborn's drug pedaling and is soft on crime.

Stop already. Leave her alone. Let her fade into anonymity. Go take your recreational drugs and impregnate your girlfriends out of wedlock and let Palin fade into anonymity.

I don't take recreational drugs, never have. If I knock anyone, I'll call you, right after Guinness! I look forward to her fading away, but sometimes you have to erase the board, not wait for the chalk to fade.

Are you democrats really that threatened by this silly, awkward woman? She'll never get elected President, you betcha.

That's what they thought about Nixon in 60. It's what I thought about Dubya in 2000, not to mention 2008. Having seen the horrors of the last 8 years, we have to make sure another loser isn't well-sold.

Calm down. Stop frothing at the mouth. I think an awful lot of you can't tell the difference between Palin and Tina Fey.

I've never frothed, not once. I can tell the difference, Tina Fey is the one that we can laugh at, Palin is the cringe-inducer.

The democratic taste for demonization of innocent republicans is a thing of wonder and awe.

Who are these innocent Republicans? Most of them have a lot to answer for now.

Paradox
12-23-2008, 11:36 PM
fly on the wall is getting too complicated in his old age:

Palin is such a lightweight. I don't know why the Democrats seem so bent on demonization of her.

Because it's funny and she's a really easy target. No more understanding than that is needed.

spoon_jenkins
12-23-2008, 11:38 PM
The tenuosity of the slams against Palin are as flimsy as the guilt by association charges against Obama.
Like Ontir wrote, that the whole point. It's just a game of applying Palin's own tactic against her. No more, no less.

Acecool
12-24-2008, 12:30 AM

The point of the thread is to turn this argument of guilt by association on it's ear.

The fact that palin made such a big deal about it during the campaign and now it can be turned against her is just a bit too much to pass up.

Besides demonizing her makes it seem like she is scary. I prefer clowninizing (I made up a new term) the woman because it is just fun. I mean Tina fey didn't even have to change her words to make her look stupid, the woman does it to herself.

However I do sort of take exception to the generalization that I or any of these cohorts on this thread take drugs or plan on impregnating our girlfriends.

I've never taken any drugs and I did impregnate my wife in wedlock.

Republicans have such thin skin. They can lob all the slime they want, but if any splashed back they start crying foul.

Sean Walsh
12-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Like Ontir wrote, that the whole point. It's just a game of applying Palin's own tactic against her. No more, no less.

So basically "your side" is just as petty & pathetic as Palin's side, because you can play the same game they play and hurt them like they hurt you?

Way to take moral superiority by the reigns, kids.

Now let's hear that philosophy about how it's not cool for Americans to hurt terrorists who willfully hurt us, and how we have to treat them with all due respect. :rolleyes:

Paradox
12-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Sean Walsh still isn't getting it:

So basically "your side" is just as petty & pathetic as Palin's side, because you can play the same game they play and hurt them like they hurt you?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? No one's "hurt" Palin (she handles that fine on her own). We're mocking her point of view. Making a point about how her "guilt by association" nonsense can come around and bite one on the butt. The point isn't "Palin has bad associates!". It's "Maybe one can see how worthless this argument is if we aim it at her, too".

"Guilt by association" is a political tactic of the lame-brained, no matter which "side" is using it. In this case, no one is seriously claiming a connection between Sarah Palin and her daughter's fiance's (**giggle**) mother's drug habit, although she certainly was seriously claiming the "terrorist connection".

KYJtheLegend
12-24-2008, 07:52 AM
You're missing (or ignoring) the point that Acecool....

I'm inclined to think the latter.

dupont2005
12-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Now let's hear that philosophy about how it's not cool for Americans to hurt terrorists who willfully hurt us, and how we have to treat them with all due respect. :rolleyes:
thats ridiculous, clearly all arabs are terrorists and need to be erased from existence at all costs

Acecool
12-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Are you really that dense or did you not read more than a few lines. The point as I and other have stated is to destroy this stupid argument of guilt by association.

Ontir
12-24-2008, 12:35 PM

Have you ever heard of or read Switft's "a Modest Proposal?" It's in that vein, and it's time-honoured.

I'm not attempting to be superior to anyone.

I'm always curious about who you think these people are. We know, for example, that almost none of them made it to Guantanamo. That's where people who were scooped off streets, sometimes in countries that have nothing to do with "the War on Terror" were deposited, often for political reasons within their own countries. Everyone should be treated humanely. How a society treats its lowest reflects upon the highest. When terrorists are found, after they've been tried with due process, and if guilty, convicted, they should be incarcerated accordingly.

An important thing to remember is that when you begin torturing others, it gives them a free hand to torture your own people. If you want to be the moral superior, you need to recognize that.

chaosakita
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Why does this keep on popping up everywhere when it really has no relevance to anything?

Paradox
12-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Schadenfreude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude)

Ontir
12-26-2008, 10:04 AM
...and because there is an attempt on some peoples' parts to position Palin (sorry for the alliteration) as the messiah of the "all new, all different" GOP.

If she'd just fade into obscurity we'd leave her alone, but we can't miss her if she won't go away.

spoon_jenkins
12-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Posts #62, 65, and 66 by other folks have already articulated my response.

Night
12-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Posts #62, 65, and 66 by other folks have already articulated by response. And negated by posts #68 and #69 by two of the three folks.
"Guilt by association" is a political tactic of the lame-brained, no matter which "side" is using it. You mean like the "McCain's the Same" linkage to Bush that was the major component of the Obama campaign. Or the Anti-catholic, anti-gay rhetoric associated to McCain just because Hagee wanted to support him... you mean those kind of lame-brained political tactics?
...and because there is an attempt on some peoples' parts to position Palin (sorry for the alliteration) as the messiah of the "all new, all different" GOP. It’s not like Obama doesn’t have his own grop treating him as the democratic party messiah.
Obama had some words about people going after family. "But I do want to say this to the GOP. If they think that they're going to try to make Michelle an issue in this campaign, they should be careful. Because that I find unacceptable," - Obama That was a time during the campaign that democrats were accusing conservatives of being afraid of a strong woman. The Obama followers went after Hillary and then after Sarah…. it seems Obama followers are more afraid.
.If she'd just fade into obscurity we'd leave her alone, but we can't miss her if she won't go away. “If you get out of politics… we’ll stop going after your family.” Sounds more like blackmail than proving a point.

Since when is mocking someone a "witch hunt"? I don't think anyone in this thread thinks anything should be done to Palin. It's just a bunch of "nyah"s and illustrates how stupid HER point was in the first place.Witch hunt – Noun – 2:the searching out and deliberate harassment of those (as political opponents) with unpopular views

I believe going after the in-laws of someone’s children, when they’re out of the race, constitutes this…. even if it is “just to make a point” I mean if people went after Obama’s girls… and did news stories on their play-dates parents (even if just to make a point)… we’d have the race cards and expletives galore.

MacQuarrie
12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey, here's a wacky idea: Why don't we all stop choosing up sides in stuff like this? Even if you voted for Palin, you don't have to be "on her side" because she doesn't have to HAVE a side. It's not a fucking basketball game.

If you ask me, this country will be a lot better off when we stop talking about right and left and start talking about right and wrong. I'll stand with Obama when he's right, and if he's wrong on a given point, I'll stand with whoever's right. But you're sure as hell not going to get me to put on a team shirt and cheer for "my side, right or wrong."

howyadoin
12-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey, here's a wacky idea: Why don't we all stop choosing up sides in stuff like this? Even if you voted for Palin, you don't have to be "on her side" because she doesn't have to HAVE a side. It's not a fucking basketball game.
I'm afraid I shall have to ask you to step outside for a round of fisticuffs.

MacQuarrie
12-26-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm afraid I shall have to ask you to step outside for a round of fisticuffs.

Sure, we could do that. Or I could buy you a drink. Whatever you prefer.

howyadoin
12-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Sure, we could do that. Or I could buy you a drink. Whatever you prefer.Pistols at dawn?

Or shooters.

MacQuarrie
12-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Pistols at dawn?

Or shooters.

Why not just split a bottle of Jack and argue about DC vs. Marvel?

howyadoin
12-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Why not just split a bottle of Jack and argue about DC vs. Marvel?You mean Marvel vs. DC, of course...

beetlebum
12-26-2008, 04:36 PM
But you're sure as hell not going to get me to put on a team shirt and cheer for "my side, right or wrong."

Yeah, but those Team Sarah shirts are soooooo cute....

pariah-1972
12-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Did Howya actually turn down a free drink? :eek:

Ontir
12-26-2008, 07:43 PM
The Obama followers went after Hillary and then after Sarah…

Uhm, no. Hillary went after Obama, as did Palin, big time! Obama didn't make any of the personal attacks himself, or via his campaign. I raised money for Obama, and there were very strict guidelines as to how we could respond to the mud-slinging.

“If you get out of politics… we’ll stop going after your family.” Sounds more like blackmail than proving a point.

We're not "going after her family," we're going after the dumb-ass things Palin said that have now come round to bite her in the ass. Big difference.

Witch hunt – Noun – 2:the searching out and deliberate harassment of those (as political opponents) with unpopular views

Which applies to Palin equating Obama with terrorism because he worked adjacent to a politico who also happens to be a former Weather Underground member?

I believe going after the in-laws of someone’s children, when they’re out of the race[...]

The person in question is accused a crime, which is ALWAYS, regardless of who your kid is marrying, a matter of public record. It's not like someone dug up a topless shot from a long ago spring break.

Paradox
12-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Night tries:

You mean like the "McCain's the Same" linkage to Bush that was the major component of the Obama campaign.

That's not "guilt by association". That's "guilt by comparative voting record."

Or the Anti-catholic, anti-gay rhetoric associated to McCain just because Hagee wanted to support him... you mean those kind of lame-brained political tactics?

Yes, that one's one.

Ontir
12-27-2008, 12:57 AM
McCain was against Dubya in 2000, and he was savaged by Turd Blossom for it. Then, when Dubya & the Neo Cons were misleading the country, he goose stepped into line, and never left. Even on the campaign trail, when he wouldn't dream of asking Dubya to appear with him, knowing the damage that would do, he continued to support the Dubya polices that were failing around him. Even when Dubya started to change, in a desperate attempt to gather some other legacy than "Herbert Hoover II," McCain stayed the course. So you see, in the end he was actually worse than Dubya.

Samurai
12-27-2008, 01:44 AM
McCain was against Dubya in 2000, and he was savaged by Turd Blossom for it. Then, when Dubya & the Neo Cons were misleading the country, he goose stepped into line, and never left. Even on the campaign trail, when he wouldn't dream of asking Dubya to appear with him, knowing the damage that would do, he continued to support the Dubya polices that were failing around him. Even when Dubya started to change, in a desperate attempt to gather some other legacy than "Herbert Hoover II," McCain stayed the course. So you see, in the end he was actually worse than Dubya.

This is a complete lie! LOOK AT THE VOTING RECORD! McCain was pissed off at Bush's campaign tactics and changed from his previously fairly conservative voting record to become one of the most liberal Republicans in the Senante. He became a RINO, voting with the Democrats about 45% of the time, joining the "Gang of 14", criticizing everything from Bush's tax cuts to appointments, and was even considered as a possible running mate for John Kerry in 2004! When you look at the year-by-year voting record it becomes blatantly obvious that your above story of "a former independent becoming a goosestepper for Bush" is absurdly wrong and the complete opposite of the truth.

Now, in 2008, McCain finally started trying to mend some fences and rebuild some bridges he'd burned with conservatives over the past 7 years, but it was too little, too late, and fooled no one. McCain hasn't been anything close to a real conservative in a decade.

Night
12-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Now, in 2008, McCain finally started trying to mend some fences and rebuild some bridges he'd burned with conservatives over the past 7 years, but it was too little, too late, and fooled no one. McCain hasn't been anything close to a real conservative in a decade.No, because McCain voted against telling our enemies when we're leaving and voting against telling our enemies where we're looking for their leader... that must mean he's exactly the same... all the religious and economic differences mean nothing...
We're not "going after her family," we're going after the dumb-ass things Palin said that have now come round to bite her in the ass. Big difference. So what you're saying is all I have to do is find something stupid Obama said (finding Biden ones are easier... but find Obama ones isn't that hard)... like the things he said about people clinching to guns and religion... then I can smear Malia Obama through her friends by finding some public record of some hyped up gun offense (doesn't even have to be a conviction by your standards) and tie it all together with some snappy catchline like "Obama's illegal gun cartel" ... and that would be all ok in your book because I was doing it just as a point about something Barack said... right?
So you see, in the end he was actually worse than Dubya. So you're saying they're different... but Obama said they're the same...

Ontir
12-27-2008, 06:07 PM
So what you're saying is all I have to do is find something stupid Obama said (finding Biden ones are easier*... but find Obama ones isn't that hard)... like the things he said about people clinching to guns and religion... then I can smear Malia Obama through her friends[...]

*Biden does tend to put his foot in it.

You really don't comprehend what you read, do you? That's not even remotely what I said. Palin made a number of blanket statements, again and again, using proximity and nothing else to try and equate Obama to terrorism. Her daughter's in-law to be is now facing charges. Those charges are a matter of public record. By proximity, and according to Palin's standards, that makes her as culpable as the impending in-law. Nowhere in there have I said anything about Palin's daughter or fiancé. I've not even said anything about the future in-law, except to note the charges, which are a matter of public record.

Ontir
12-27-2008, 06:09 PM
This is a complete lie! LOOK AT THE VOTING RECORD! McCain was pissed off at Bush's campaign tactics and changed from his previously fairly conservative voting record to become one of the most liberal Republicans in the Senante. He became a RINO, voting with the Democrats about 45% of the time, joining the "Gang of 14", criticizing everything from Bush's tax cuts to appointments, and was even considered as a possible running mate for John Kerry in 2004! When you look at the year-by-year voting record it becomes blatantly obvious that your above story of "a former independent becoming a goosestepper for Bush" is absurdly wrong and the complete opposite of the truth.

Now, in 2008, McCain finally started trying to mend some fences and rebuild some bridges he'd burned with conservatives over the past 7 years, but it was too little, too late, and fooled no one. McCain hasn't been anything close to a real conservative in a decade.

What's a "RINO?"

GozertheGozarian
12-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Republican in name only.

Ontir
12-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Ah. I can see that. When I was calling for a conservative organization I was constantly being told they couldn't stand McCain, because he wasn't a real conservative. I'm not sure what they're looking for, but they couldn't find it - thank God!

dupont2005
12-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Ah. I can see that. When I was calling for a conservative organization I was constantly being told they couldn't stand McCain, because he wasn't a real conservative. I'm not sure what they're looking for, but they couldn't find it - thank God!

i think they found it in palin

Ontir
12-27-2008, 06:39 PM
A few of them, but they weren't much happier with her.

Acecool
12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
So what you're saying is all I have to do is find something stupid Obama said (finding Biden ones are easier... but find Obama ones isn't that hard)... like the things he said about people clinching to guns and religion... then I can smear Malia Obama through her friends by finding some public record of some hyped up gun offense (doesn't even have to be a conviction by your standards) and tie it all together with some snappy catchline like "Obama's illegal gun cartel" ... and that would be all ok in your book because I was doing it just as a point about something Barack said... right? So you're saying they're different... but Obama said they're the same...

You make absolutely no sense at all. Your logical conclusions are as followed a=b zyz=3 therefore 10=illegal gun cartel.

The point of the whole thread is that guilt by association is stupid and ignorant and should not be subscribed to at all. It was a standard, a criteria, set forth by Sarah Palin for the people to use in order to figure out how they should vote. Quote "...pal around with terrorist."

If we use her criteria of guilt by association (which is dumb as shit), then it can't be used only when it is beneficial to one side.

It is like creating a rule and then only punishing one side.

This wouldn't be an issue if Palin hadn't made it a central plank of her campaign. The fact that she did at all makes her ignorant of the ramifications.

howyadoin
12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
The point of the whole thread is that guilt by association is stupid and ignorant and should not be subscribed to at all. It was a standard, a criteria, set forth by Sarah Palin for the people to use in order to figure out how they should vote. Quote "...pal around with terrorist."

If we use her criteria of guilt by association (which is dumb as shit), then it can't be used only when it is beneficial to one side. I should be surprised that you needed to explain that, but considering the way CBR's been in recent months, I'm really not.

Paul McEnery
12-29-2008, 06:52 PM
What's a "RINO?"

A Republican oo's got the 'orn.

Pól Rua
12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
A Republican oo's got the 'orn.

"I was finkin' th' same fing."
"Was you?"
"Yeah... In fact, I was finkin' of writin' to them Republicrat fellers. 'Dear fuckers wot run the joint. Your speeches don't 'alf give me the 'orn.'"
"That's fuckin' touchin' that."
"Yeah."
"Don't 'alf give me the 'orn, though."

MacQuarrie
12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I should be surprised that you needed to explain that, but considering the way CBR's been in recent months, I'm really not.

They used to have all these simple expressions that covered the concept, like "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" and "tit for tat" and "payback's a bitch" and so on. It's an astonishingly simple idea, one that some jewsh carpenter explained a couple thousand years ago by saying "the same measure you use o judge others will be used to judge you."

And yet, here we are, having to explain this concept.

A minute ago I was hopeful for the future. I'm getting over that rapidly.

howyadoin
12-29-2008, 08:50 PM

A minute ago I was hopeful for the future. I'm getting over that rapidly.Welcome to my world.

Valmore
12-29-2008, 09:09 PM
You know, the funny thing is that a few years back, I recall reading a Time article about black roles in Hollywood hinging in the area of "the magic black" - of course, this was about the time "The Legend of Bagger Vance" was out and I think they were making a case about how bad mainstream roles for blacks were at the time. At any rate, Will Smith is really the original Magic Negro, not Barack Obama.

And who in the hell would find that song funny besides the wackos? Too bad they're the ones in charge or trying to be in charge of the Republican Party.

Paradox
12-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Valmore must just be too young:

At any rate, Will Smith is really the original Magic Negro, not Barack Obama.

Just for the record, plenty of "magical negroes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro)" before Will and the Legend of Bagger Vance.

Pól Rua
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
They used to have all these simple expressions that covered the concept, like "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" and "tit for tat" and "payback's a bitch" and so on. It's an astonishingly simple idea, one that some jewsh carpenter explained a couple thousand years ago by saying "the same measure you use o judge others will be used to judge you."

A minute ago I was hopeful for the future. I'm getting over that rapidly.

You said, "tit".
hurr hurr hurr.

Gary_B
12-29-2008, 10:49 PM
You said, "tit".
hurr hurr hurr.

Never gets old. Bwah, hah, hah!

Pinball
12-30-2008, 06:49 AM
"I was finkin' th' same fing."
"Was you?"
"Yeah... In fact, I was finkin' of writin' to them Republicrat fellers. 'Dear fuckers wot run the joint. Your speeches don't 'alf give me the 'orn.'"
"That's fuckin' touchin' that."
"Yeah."
"Don't 'alf give me the 'orn, though."

Wot, these here Republicrat fellers? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJOjrpaVZpk)