PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 1 - Peter Palmer

JoelM
10-28-2008, 11:30 AM
What's the matter with Peter's last name in Issue 1? In Amazing Fantasy 15 it's Peter Parker then in ASM it's Peter Palmer, then in ASM #2 it's back to Peter Parker.

Is there an interesting story to this? I tried to search the forums but the search is not working (blank page).

StoneGold
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Stan forgot what he named him. Same reason Bruce became Bob Banner for a bunch of issues. That they retconned a reason for, Palmer they just kind of ignore and bring up whenever they either want to talk about No-Prize moments, or make fun of Stan's memory.

Rob Thompson
10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
This little tidbit should definitely be used as a part of the new editorial direction! The deal with Mephisto should result in the name change becoming permanent!

JoelM
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Stan forgot what he named him. Same reason Bruce became Bob Banner for a bunch of issues. That they retconned a reason for, Palmer they just kind of ignore and bring up whenever they either want to talk about No-Prize moments, or make fun of Stan's memory.

That's great! :biggrin:

rocky123
10-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, Stan the Man had a notoriously bad memory.
"If a character had the first initial in both names, I could at least remember one of the names"

Hence many character names in this fashion like Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards, Matt Murdoch, Sue Storm, Stephen Strange and so on.

StoneGold
10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah, Stan the Man had a notoriously bad memory.
"If a character had the first initial in both names, I could at least remember one of the names"

Hence many character names in this fashion like Peter Parker, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards, Matt Murdoch, Sue Storm, Stephen Strange and so on.

And the ultimate, Paste Pot Pete.

yadadaimhollaing
10-28-2008, 02:35 PM
What's the matter with Peter's last name in Issue 1? In Amazing Fantasy 15 it's Peter Parker then in ASM it's Peter Palmer, then in ASM #2 it's back to Peter Parker.

Is there an interesting story to this? I tried to search the forums but the search is not working (blank page).

did you go out and buy the amazing spidey dvd?

The Confessor
10-28-2008, 02:48 PM
I have to say that this is news to me! I had no idea that Stan Lee got Peter's name wrong in Amazing Spider-Man #1.

I only have that story as a re-print in Marvel Tales #138. I guess the editorial team must've corrected the mistake for that particular re-print...unless I'm even more unobservant than I thought I was!

I'll have to double check it. Where exactly in the issue does Peter get referred to as Peter Palmer? A scan might be nice too. :smile:

yadadaimhollaing
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I have to say that this is news to me! I had no idea that Stan Lee got Peter's name wrong in Amazing Spider-Man #1.

I only have that story as a re-print in Marvel Tales #138. I guess the editorial team must've corrected the mistake for that particular re-print...unless I'm even more unobservant than I thought I was!

I'll have to double check it. Where exactly in the issue does Peter get referred to as Peter Palmer? A scan might be nice too. :smile:

neither did i remember this. i guess when i get home im going to have to break out my asm cd and look

jeffgamer
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I think it happened again this very month, actually. In the latest Ultimate Spider-man, the Gwen Stacy symbiote said that her father's name was Captain John Stacy. I don't THINK they changed his name in the Ultimate line...which means that, if I'm right, they messed up his name even in the here-and-now....

JoelM
10-28-2008, 04:02 PM

The Peter Palmer first appears in Amazing Spider-Man issue 1. That issue has two stores, first is titled SPIDER-MAN and the second is titled SPIDER-MAN VS. THE CHAMELEON! The name mistake appears in the second story on page 2.

http://img246.imagevenue.com/loc174/th_34835_Peter_Palmer1_122_174lo.jpg (http://img246.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34835_Peter_Palmer1_122_174lo.jpg)

http://img199.imagevenue.com/loc489/th_34840_Peter_Palmer2_122_489lo.jpg (http://img199.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34840_Peter_Palmer2_122_489lo.jpg)

JoelM
10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
did you go out and buy the amazing spidey dvd?

I was able to get it via other means. :wink:

yadadaimhollaing
10-28-2008, 06:00 PM

thats cool you were able to borrow a friends copy :wink: none of my friends reads comics so im all by myself. enjoy the dvd-rom :smile:

BlueCutey
10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I think it happened again this very month, actually. In the latest Ultimate Spider-man, the Gwen Stacy symbiote said that her father's name was Captain John Stacy. I don't THINK they changed his name in the Ultimate line...which means that, if I'm right, they messed up his name even in the here-and-now....

I noticed that too. It was a sure WTF moment.

What about when they messed up in Back in Black where they say that Aunt May's maiden name is Fitzgerald (instead of Reilly)? I imagine there was a lot of discussion here about that though...

Gyroscope352
10-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I noticed that too. It was a sure WTF moment.

What about when they messed up in Back in Black where they say that Aunt May's maiden name is Fitzgerald (instead of Reilly)? I imagine there was a lot of discussion here about that though...

I was JUST about to post this! lol. I couldn't even believe it. They really burned that Reilly thing into my brain, would've thought someone at Marvel would have remembered. Guess not.

EDIT: I also remember something in USM that is not so much name-changing, as family logic that doesn't work. Ben Parker was married to May, and Peter's dad (something Parker) was married to Peter's mom. Yet, May refers to Peter's mom as her sister (I think it's in the first Venom arc). And I don't buy that it means sister-in-law. Especially when she says "your father" and then "my sister." If we are all catching stuff like this, it boggles my mind that it just keeps slipping past the mighty editors at Marvel.

yadadaimhollaing
10-28-2008, 11:27 PM
The Peter Palmer first appears in Amazing Spider-Man issue 1. That issue has two stores, first is titled SPIDER-MAN and the second is titled SPIDER-MAN VS. THE CHAMELEON! The name mistake appears in the second story on page 2.

http://img246.imagevenue.com/loc174/th_34835_Peter_Palmer1_122_174lo.jpg (http://img246.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34835_Peter_Palmer1_122_174lo.jpg)

http://img199.imagevenue.com/loc489/th_34840_Peter_Palmer2_122_489lo.jpg (http://img199.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34840_Peter_Palmer2_122_489lo.jpg)

My marvel masterworks has this error fixed.

As I check my amazing spiderman cd-rom I see this error :smile: too funny to see this error.

Joe Acro
10-29-2008, 05:15 AM
EDIT: I also remember something in USM that is not so much name-changing, as family logic that doesn't work. Ben Parker was married to May, and Peter's dad (something Parker) was married to Peter's mom. Yet, May refers to Peter's mom as her sister (I think it's in the first Venom arc). And I don't buy that it means sister-in-law. Especially when she says "your father" and then "my sister." If we are all catching stuff like this, it boggles my mind that it just keeps slipping past the mighty editors at Marvel.How does that not work?

Perhaps Richard was the brother of Ben and Mary was the sister of May.

Karl Cook
10-29-2008, 08:10 AM
How does that not work?

Perhaps Richard was the brother of Ben and Mary was the sister of May.

Yeah, in one of the issues of ASM prior to Life Theft it says that Ben's brother Richard married May's sister Mary.
It may have been retconned since, but it also helped develop the fact that May caught on to the Parkers being fakes before Peter did.

The Confessor
10-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the scans JoelM, I've just checked my copy of Marvel Tales #138, which re-prints Amazing Spider-Man #1 and it has indeed been corrected. At least that explains why I'd never noticed it before.

Yeah, I noticed! :wink:

I hope you won't mind me asking this, but those screen caps that you posted, are they displaying the comics in one of those programs of questionable legality like "Comic Reader"? These programs use .cbr and .cbz files, right?

Honestly, I’m not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just curious because I've never used anything like this myself or even seen what the user interface looks like.

How do they compare to Marvel’s online digital comics?

Gyroscope352
10-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the scans JoelM, I've just checked my copy of Marvel Tales #138, which re-prints Amazing Spider-Man #1 and it has indeed been corrected. At least that explains why I'd never noticed it before.

Yeah, I noticed! :wink:

I hope you won't mind me asking this, but those screen caps that you posted, are they displaying the comics in one of those programs of questionable legality like "Comic Reader"? These programs use .cbr and .cbz files, right?

Honestly, I’m not trying to stir up trouble, I'm just curious because I've never used anything like this myself or even seen what the user interface looks like.

So much better. Simple, fast, easy. Lots of really good readers, too, like ComicBookLover for mac. It's exactly like iTunes except with digital comics. It's too bad Marvel didn't catch on and just start doing this legally. They were so close when they worked with Gitcorp to release all those "40 years of" DVDs, and then they discontinued those and went to the very dumb subscriber system they have now. I bought all the Gitcorp DVDs that were released and I just read those now.

The only other time Marvel's digital comics were any good (as far as online versions go) was their system back in 2000ish, when it was free and it had all of USM, a bit of Daredevil and a bit of ASM, among others. If I recall correctly, that was the easiest, fastest online system I have seen (though still can't hold a candle to straight up PDFs or CBRs). Though to be fair, I haven't tried Marvel's new system since it first came out; for all I know they have updated it to work well.

BlueCutey
10-29-2008, 09:10 AM

Apologize for the off topic, but how are those 'questionably legal' any more than Winamp is for playing Mp3 files?

David Walton
10-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Apologize for the off topic, but how are those 'questionably legal' any more than Winamp is for playing Mp3 files?

Because so far as I know there are no legitimate channels that use cbr readers. The DVD-Roms are formatted for Adobe PDF.

StoneGold
10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Because so far as I know there are no legitimate channels that use cbr readers. The DVD-Roms are formatted for Adobe PDF.

There are some independent comics that'll put themselves out in the format, but if you've ever heard of the book, and you didn't create the file yourself just to have for reference purposes in a non-distributed fashion, odds are you are in possession of someone else's intellectual property.

Which is the crappiest Jeff Foxworthy routine ever. Which is saying a lot.

David Walton
10-29-2008, 09:43 AM
There are some independent comics that'll put themselves out in the format, but if you've ever heard of the book, and you didn't create the file yourself just to have for reference purposes in a non-distributed fashion, odds are you are in possession of someone else's intellectual property.

Is it even legal to copy for personal use? I was under the impression that it isn't.

StoneGold
10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Is it even legal to copy for personal use? I was under the impression that it isn't.

I don't believe comics fit under the DMCA. If it were illegal, every library with a photocopier has been in violation of the law for decades.

David Walton
10-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't believe comics fit under the DMCA. If it were illegal, every library with a photocopier has been in violation of the law for decades.

I thought there was a distinction between copying a single image or page and, say, the entire issue.

So would copying and storing your own comics digitally be something along the lines of backing up your DVDs?

And do you expect the law to catch up with the problem of comics piracy anytime soon?

yadadaimhollaing
10-29-2008, 10:12 AM
I thought there was a distinction between copying a single image or page and, say, the entire issue.

So would copying and storing your own comics digitally be something along the lines of backing up your DVDs?

And do you expect the law to catch up with the problem of comics piracy anytime soon?

is there enough comics piracy to really go after somebody copying issues? i would think the only time it would be a big deal is somebody on a torrent site.

JoelM
10-29-2008, 10:42 AM

You always hold the right to make copies of digital mediums as long as it is for personal use.

Now their's a little problem, if your digital medium is encrypted to prevent copying, and you agreed to the EULA (End-user License Agreement) which states something down the roads of "You will not circumvent the encryption in any way or form", then you can't legally copy the materials (in good faith).

The reason is not because it is illegal to copy it, it is because broke the contract you agreed to when you agreed not to circumvent the encryption.

JoelM
10-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Yes there is a distinction. It is called Fair Use.

Fair use is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders, such as use for scholarship or review. It provides for the legal, non-licensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

JoelM
10-29-2008, 11:19 AM

When I took the screen shot, I wasn't using a comic book reader. I was using a program called Evince Document Viewer which is just a multi format document reader. To my surprise, Evince had no problem opening .cbz files. But thats because, as I understand it, cbz is just a container for the PDF files which zips the PDF and also adds other functionality that comic book readers (people) are interested in. Note: .cbr contains the PDF file using the rar compression algorithm.

I do use a comic book reader every once in a while. I use Comix (http://comix.sourceforge.net/)

The comic book readers are perfectly legal. Doesn't matter if people use them to read illegally obtained comic books. :) As long as it is possible to use the tool for legitimate/ legal reasons, then the tool is legal. Same reason password crackers are legal. ;)

Features of Comix:
* » Fullscreen mode.
* » Double page mode.
* » Fit-to-screen, fit width and fit height modes.
* » Zooming and scrolling.
* » Rotation and mirroring.
* » Magnifying lens.
* » Changeable image scaling quality.
* » Image enhancements.
* » Can read right-to-left to fit manga etc.
* » Caching for faster page flipping.
* » Bookmarks support.
* » Customizable GUI.
* » Archive comments support.
* » Archive converter.
* » Thumbnail browser.
* » Standards compliant.
* » Comic book library.
* » Available in 21 different languages.
* » Reads most common image formats.
* » Reads ZIP and tar archives natively, and RAR archives through the unrar program.
* » Runs on Linux, *BSD and virtually any other UNIX-like OS.
* » More!

You can see screenshots here: http://comix.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html even though those screen shots don't really give a feel for the app...

yadadaimhollaing
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
When I took the screen shot, I wasn't using a comic book reader. I was using a program called Evince Document Viewer which is just a multi format document reader. To my surprise, Evince had no problem opening .cbz files. But thats because, as I understand it, cbz is just a container for the PDF files which zips the PDF and also adds other functionality that comic book readers (people) are interested in. Note: .cbr contains the PDF file using the rar compression algorithm.

I do use a comic book reader every once in a while. I use Comix (http://comix.sourceforge.net/)

The comic book readers are perfectly legal. Doesn't matter if people use them to read illegally obtained comic books. :) As long as it is possible to use the tool for legitimate/ legal reasons, then the tool is legal. Same reason password crackers are legal. ;)

Features of Comix:
* » Fullscreen mode.
* » Double page mode.
* » Fit-to-screen, fit width and fit height modes.
* » Zooming and scrolling.
* » Rotation and mirroring.
* » Magnifying lens.
* » Changeable image scaling quality.
* » Image enhancements.
* » Can read right-to-left to fit manga etc.
* » Caching for faster page flipping.
* » Bookmarks support.
* » Customizable GUI.
* » Archive comments support.
* » Archive converter.
* » Thumbnail browser.
* » Standards compliant.
* » Comic book library.
* » Available in 21 different languages.
* » Reads most common image formats.
* » Reads ZIP and tar archives natively, and RAR archives through the unrar program.
* » Runs on Linux, *BSD and virtually any other UNIX-like OS.
* » More!

You can see screenshots here: http://comix.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html even though those screen shots don't really give a feel for the app...

funny thing is adobe reader has some functions but i never use anything other then scrolling through the issues. ive never tried any of the features and wouldnt even know what they do :smile: it took me til issue 240 before i even noticed it had fullscreen mode.