PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight series any good

Themanwholaughs
09-29-2008, 03:11 AM
As title really.

Im prefer the darker more mature stuff and I read the legends of the dark knight series came after the Frank millar revamp of the character. I have Gothic, Venom and Faces but havent read them yet.

Are the books availible in this series worth a read?

Shaman
Gothic
Prey
Venom
Faces
Collected Legends of the Dark Knight
Other Realms
Dark Legends
The ring the arrow and the bat
Terror
Snow
Going sane

milosimpkin
09-29-2008, 03:59 AM
I picked up the start of this series when I was a kid. One of my first, and few, forays into the world of DC. I don't remember a lot of the stories, but Shaman always stuck in my head. I loved that one to pieces, and would heartily recommend it. I sort of presume a lot of them were almost Elseworlds, but I'm not really sure about that.

I have no doubt someone who actually knows about this stuff will pop up soon :)

dancj
09-29-2008, 04:44 AM
I'd say Gothic, Prey, Faces, Snow, Going Sane and the two 'collected' booksare well worth ar read.

Valhalla
09-29-2008, 04:50 AM
I enjoyed Venom.

A prelude to the Bane storyline.

nepenthes
09-29-2008, 05:06 AM
apart from the ones you have the best trades are

Goin Sane - a highly original and memorable Joker tale, classic among Joker stories
Collected LoTDK - features both the Tim Sale illustrated Blades arc and the one of the definitive Poison Ivy tales Hothouse. Both are among the best Batman stories I know.

reader reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Going-Sane-J-M-Dematteis/dp/1401218210
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Collected-Legends-Dark-Knight/dp/1563891476

Themanwholaughs
09-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Appreciate the input folks. :smile:

I'd say Gothic, Prey, Faces, Snow, Going Sane and the two 'collected' booksare well worth ar read.

What is the other "collected" book you mention. Is it a graphic novel?
I got my list there from wiki and only noticed Collected Legends of the Dark Knight.

JohnRD
09-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Faces is cool, and Snow is a classic. In fact, from what I remember the whole series is a fairly good read.

SilverDagger
09-29-2008, 06:26 AM
I've read Gothic, Venom, Shaman and Collected Legends of the Dark Knight and all were really good (Gothic especially).

Project 22
09-29-2008, 07:34 AM
The entire series is worth the read. If you want to know more about why he does what he does these days, the odd things he'll do usually have root in LOTDK.

nepenthes
09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Appreciate the input folks. :smile:

I got my list there from wiki and only noticed Collected Legends of the Dark Knight.

he may be reffering to Other Realms which isn't actually an arc but a collection of single issue storues set in various historical periods. I'm only guessing though. Dark Legends i don't actually know what that is but it may well be a collection like that as well.

Generic Eric
09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Some of the uncollected stories are very good also.

197-199 Blaze Of Glory
200 Gotham Emergency
201-203 Cold Case

are overlooked classics from late in the series.

Lester C.
09-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Legends is an awesome read, always has been. Primarily because most of the stories take place out of continuity and it wasn't until the book was brought into continuity that killed it.

Themanwholaughs
09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Sounds good. I decided to go for all of them and managed to track down the trades so they should be with me this week. Thought I may aswell get the lesser praised ones too as most are second hand so they weren't to expensive.

matthewaos
10-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Legends is a great book I think. I recently read Going Sane, it's a great Joker story.

dancj
10-01-2008, 05:13 AM
The other book is called Dark Legends. I can't remember which stories are in it though

Beria
10-01-2008, 07:33 AM
It was a good book. I'd recommend Shaman, Gothic, Venom, Prey and Faces. Great stuff, really.

Wenatchee the Hatchet
10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Didn't the late Archie Goodwin serve as editor for this title? I generally remember the title being pretty good.

dragonbat
10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
It's not in a trade, but try to get your hands on 201-203 (Cold Case) by Christos N Gage. The title was slipping by that point, but this was one of the best LOTDK arcs I'd seen in years!