PDA

View Full Version : Why did Tony Stark reveal his identity to the world?

FortKnox
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Why did Tony Stark reveal that he is Iron Man to the world? In other words what was the storyline behind it?

Monty_Cristo
09-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Why did Tony Stark reveal that he is Iron Man to the world? In other words what was the storyline behind it?

i think he got knocked out and some little kids took his helmet off; out of curiousity. it was during the tiberius stone arc, iirc.

StoneGold
09-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Which time? Most recently, it was 10 seconds before Spidey did in Civil War, for the same reason. Because he had somehow convinced everyone he wasn't Iron Man again.

XPac
09-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Which time? Most recently, it was 10 seconds before Spidey did in Civil War, for the same reason. Because he had somehow convinced everyone he wasn't Iron Man again.

Didn't Stark use sateliltes or something to brainwash the world into forgetting he was Stark? I didn't read the actual story so I'm not sure that's accurate, but I think She-Hulk mentioned something to that effect in court in the She-Hulk CW tie in.

Abrojo
09-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Iron Man v3 #55 - While on a social thing he attended with Rumiko, hejumped down, suited up and saved a puppy from being ran over by a car with escaping criminals. Whole world and Rumiko herself find out here.
This one lasts all the way including when he is Secretary of Defense. (around issue 83 where i dropped)

Not sure what happens between this and Extremis where people (at least the general public) dont know.

i think he got knocked out and some little kids took his helmet off; out of curiousity. it was during the tiberius stone arc, iirc.

Perhaps you mean this?

Iron Man v3 #26 - Iron Man and Whiplash get hit by lightning while mid air fight over a city. Iron Man gets knocked out on the floor in the street.

#27 - shows us Tony Stark on hospital, remembers a kid flipped his mask. The issue shows us a nightmare outfall of this as the Mandarin in a retarded outfit storms Stark Industry. Suddenly Tony wakes up and is still in Iron Man uniform and on the street with a kid putting his hand over his mask to flip it, it was all a dream.
He takes off preventing the kid from flipping the mask. Tony is worried because it wasnt just a dream, it felt real, like virtual. He starts running armor checks: PsiShields are up, etc when he starts hearing a voice asking him to "stop the pain", its the armor.

And there starts the Sentient Armor saga.

StoneGold
09-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Didn't Stark use sateliltes or something to brainwash the world into forgetting he was Stark? I didn't read the actual story so I'm not sure that's accurate, but I think She-Hulk mentioned something to that effect in court in the She-Hulk CW tie in.

That was before he had technically revealed his ID to the world. It was in an annual Busiek wrote. Too many random villains and stuff knew his ID, so he used Mentallo in some weird way I barely remember to make everyone who knew forget. Then he told the Avengers, which pissed off Cap.

Ex_
09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
If you're talking about RIGHT before the Civil War, it's because of the second arc in Iron Man v4, the arc called Execute Program. He realized how dangerous heroes could be, especially if someone evil gained control of them. He was on the edge about the Superhero Registration Act, and after Yinsen's son took control of his suit and made him murder some people, he realized just how serious a danger heroes potentially were. So he revealed his identity to spearhead the Registration movement. At least, that's what I got out of it. That arc kind of defines the post-Civil War Stark, and it makes you a LOT more sympathetic to his cause.

Pedrocas
09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
So, Iron Man reveals identity to the whole world and then proceeds to erase everyone's mind and the Avengers got pissed because of that mindtrick.

Mephisto uses hell-magic to erase Spidey's identity from everyone's mind and no-one questions anything about it?

JdRavnos
09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
So, Iron Man reveals identity to the whole world and then proceeds to erase everyone's mind and the Avengers got pissed because of that mindtrick.

Mephisto uses hell-magic to erase Spidey's identity from everyone's mind and no-one questions anything about it?

A) Tony seemed to do it for primarily selfish reasons. Peter, even if it was flawed, did it to save a life.
B) Nobody is questioning it because no one (except maybe Pete and MJ, maybe. It's not entirely clear) knows it happened. My understanding is that the reason that Cap got upset with Tony was because Tony explained what happened.

celticguy
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM

He wanted to impress the chicks.

brundlefly
09-09-2008, 02:46 PM
he used Mentallo in some weird way I barely remember to make everyone who knew forget.

The Controller was the bad guy who Stark used to make everyone forget his ID. Controller was using a powerful telepath as his slave in order to control people without having to use his slave discs and Stark discovered his scheme. The telepath went berserk and attacked Controller and Stark both, but Stark took over the tech that Controller had been using to keep her in check and used it to do a worldwide mindwipe of his secret ID (his justification being, as you noted, that too many guys like the Controller knew who he was). He was too late to save the telepath, though, as she burned herself out rebelling against the Controller and then attacking the two of them. This was in IM Annual #15, mid-90s or so.

SquidSquod
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Well with his 5 second response to become Iron Man tech, he need not be anonymous anymore.

Also it makes more story possibility that any lesser villains can attack him anytime where it hurts the most. Tony has to remain more vigilant (naturally, he can't being in control of a lot stuff) or he needs to act as a troubleshooter, which for Iron Man all in a day's work.

XPac
09-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure Starks secret identity was that huge a deal.

Prior to everyone knowing he was Iron Man, it was believed he was the billionarie who was Iron Man's boss. He didn't seem like any less of a target. .

Abrojo
09-09-2008, 09:54 PM
yeah really, if someone wanted to target Iron Man, he would target Tony Stark anyway assuming his "bodyguard" would come to rescue him.
Iron Man was always tied to Stark Industries, only on brief moments like during Armor Wars or like when Stark gives away the company and goes under does Iron Man loose affiliation with Tony Stark.