PDA

View Full Version : Slott and Romita should stay on ASM

Darthbobvilla
09-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey all,

Ok banning aside, i decided to pick up the book just because JRjr is doing the art, i would buy anything he does no matter what.

I can say that i am very impressed with the start and current state of the stoyline at this moment....the story is good, the art is top notch...tension, jokes, vilains galore...everything the book should be is there.

I read the review at weekly comic book review and they gave A grade to the book and i have to agree, they go as far as saying that the current creative team should remain on the book and i also completely 100% agree.

I do hope that marvel in their infinite "stupidity" (cause wisdom is too complicated for them it seems) get the message if sales increase during the Slott Romita run that this might be the creatrive team that might bring back readers if things are done properly.

Dr. Chaos
09-05-2008, 08:47 AM
You'd have to kill Dan Slott to get him off this book, theres probably no writer at Marvel thats a bigger fanboy for the character and JRJR has already been said to have more Amazing work coming down the road.

burtle
09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
The problem is that then it switches back to once a month book and completely unravels the point of eliminating the other Spidey books.

Darthbobvilla
09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
The problem is that then it switches back to once a month book and completely unravels the point of eliminating the other Spidey books.

Not really since i saw previews of this storyline many months ago...if they give a break to Jrjr to accumulate maybe 3 months of work in advance and he does not do anything else, i think he could make it easy..i remember that at some time he was penciling thor and a spider-man book at the same time if my memory serves me well...plus he is a fast penciler so i do not think it would be a problem..if they give the chance for a good long headstart!!!

burtle
09-05-2008, 08:56 AM
plus he is a fast penciler so i do not think it would be a problem..if they give the chance for a good long headstart!!!

ok but even with like a 6 month head start, even if thats all he was doing, 3 books a month would eventually catch up to him.

Darthbobvilla
09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
ok but even with like a 6 month head start, even if thats all he was doing, 3 books a month would eventually catch up to him.

I am sure there are ways around this problem....

Magneto Rocks
09-05-2008, 09:54 AM
...You really hate them so much you wish to kill them?

yadadaimhollaing
09-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I am sure there are ways around this problem....

i dont think you can really get around this. to keep up this schedule i think that jr jr and slott would need to pump out 18 issues before releasing the first months issue. then jr jr and slott would need to be able to consistantly keep pumping out 3 issues a month while those first issues finally hit the stores and who knows how long theyd be able to maintain that. plus would the inker and colorist be able to keep up with how fast jr jr can pencil the issues? i dont know enough about the inking and coloring process to guess how long that part takes.

i would also be disappointed not being able to see marcos martins art or phil jiminez art. i really enjoy the creative teams a lot.

markiss
09-05-2008, 11:06 AM
i completely agree. slott & romita jr is the kind of team i want to see having a long run on amazing. even if it meant the book couldnt be thrice monthly anymore, it would still be the best move. having 3 issues a month means the book varies in quality too much anyway.

JGC
09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
If JRJR is given enough of a head start, he could easily crank out 24 issues of ASM per year. Why not have John Romita Sr. pencil the other 12?

...start drooling....

yadadaimhollaing
09-05-2008, 11:32 AM
If JRJR is given enough of a head start, he could easily crank out 24 issues of ASM per year. Why not have John Romita Sr. pencil the other 12?

...start drooling....

i think id have to get a second subscription if jr sr were drawing issues of spiderman again :evilsmile:

Crimson
09-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Not really since i saw previews of this storyline many months ago...if they give a break to Jrjr to accumulate maybe 3 months of work in advance and he does not do anything else, i think he could make it easy..i remember that at some time he was penciling thor and a spider-man book at the same time if my memory serves me well...plus he is a fast penciler so i do not think it would be a problem..if they give the chance for a good long headstart!!!

3 issues a month is above Slott's limit.

It's just not possible.

carabas
09-05-2008, 01:55 PM
If JRJR is given enough of a head start, he could easily crank out 24 issues of ASM per year. Why not have John Romita Sr. pencil the other 12?So what happens when he falls behind in the second year?
You know, give him a decade or so lead-in time, and he might even be able to do three or so years of weekly Spider-Man.

No artist can do three books a month (and have them be half-way decent by current standards) indefinitely.

Will.S
09-05-2008, 08:35 PM
i completely agree. slott & romita jr is the kind of team i want to see having a long run on amazing. even if it meant the book couldnt be thrice monthly anymore, it would still be the best move. having 3 issues a month means the book varies in quality too much anyway.
Same here too.

Although I don't think they all have to be drawn by Romita Jr. John can certainly pull off the month to month thing with no problem but the thrice weekly thing isn't going to work with him or Slott. While it's nice to have a comic in rapid succession within the months it certainly isn't a selling point for me outside of it being convenient to see the story advance much quicker than usual.

ZeoVGM
09-05-2008, 09:06 PM
This is a pretty lame thread. This would NOT be a 3-times-a-month book if it were Romita Jr. and Slott. That's an unarguable fact. Wouldn't happen.

The point is to have it on its current schedule. And Guggenheim and Wells' stories have been great. And Waid is going to be a very good addition.

Please stop with the "Marvel stupidity". It's simple wrong.

having 3 issues a month means the book varies in quality too much anyway.

The only arcs that haven't been very good are Gale's. So the book has NOT varied in qualtiy much.

xarathos
09-05-2008, 10:36 PM
They really don't need to put out 3 issues of ASM a month. They should just put out two Spider-man books, maybe one has Slott and JRJR on it. They should pace themselves on these stories and it makes the books conisistent.

The Shadow
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
No artist can do three books a month (and have them be half-way decent by current standards) indefinitely.

John Byrne can.

carabas
09-06-2008, 01:40 AM
He hasn't been halfway decent by current (or any, really) standards in a very long time.
Also, his previous work on the character does not exactly bring back fond memories for I guess about 90% of the readership.

edit: and he flat out refuses to work for Marvel (or even type Marvel), so it's kinda moot anyway).

markiss
09-06-2008, 07:00 AM
They really don't need to put out 3 issues of ASM a month. They should just put out two Spider-man books, maybe one has Slott and JRJR on it. They should pace themselves on these stories and it makes the books conisistent.

i agree, i say reduce spidey to 2 books a month, one being ASM with Slott and JRJR and another seperate book with a different team.

Rob Thompson
09-06-2008, 08:26 AM
John Byrne can.:biggrin: Yes, he could.

Karl Cook
09-06-2008, 08:27 AM
John Byrne can.

Quoted for truth!

Karl Cook
09-06-2008, 08:35 AM
John Byrne can.

Oh, thanks for recommending GL:Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War. I thoroughly enjoyed both series and I'm now in the process of tracking down more of John's GL issues.
Once again, Thanks for the tip!:smile:

Darthbobvilla
09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
So what happens when he falls behind in the second year?
You know, give him a decade or so lead-in time, and he might even be able to do three or so years of weekly Spider-Man.

exsqueeze me....actually if memory serves me correct and correct me if i am wrong but didn't jack kirby and even Steve Ditko used to do several issues per month and for a long damn time when marvel started!!!!

So why can JRjr can't do it?

Rahul
09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
If this brings consistency in the quality of the stories, hell yes.

I really feel like I'm reading an alternate universe Spider-Man every time I read another writer's tale....

GRANT!
09-06-2008, 10:51 AM
If they decided to give up on the thrice monthly route I could see that happening.

Leocomix
09-06-2008, 10:54 AM
He hasn't been halfway decent by current (or any, really) standards in a very long time.
Also, his previous work on the character does not exactly bring back fond memories for I guess about 90% of the readership.

edit: and he flat out refuses to work for Marvel (or even type Marvel), so it's kinda moot anyway).

His two recent books, Assignment: Earth and FX are really good.

Leocomix
09-06-2008, 10:58 AM
exsqueeze me....actually if memory serves me correct and correct me if i am wrong but didn't jack kirby and even Steve Ditko used to do several issues per month and for a long damn time when marvel started!!!!

So why can JRjr can't do it?

A greater amount of detail is required of pencilers these days. Notice that JRJr is inked by Janson (a finisher more than an inker) who doesn't do the coloring as he was used to. So those six issues must have been done fast (and they fucked up Norman's hair)

DeadXMan
09-06-2008, 11:31 AM
John Byrne can.

Isee your Byrbne and Raise you Jack Kirby.

Igor could, but his style dosn't fit spidey.

Rob Thompson
09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Isee your Byrbne and Raise you Jack Kirby.

Igor could, but his style dosn't fit spidey.Jack couldn't put out three monthly comics right now! :eek:

DeadXMan
09-06-2008, 04:26 PM
If they canbring back Regan they can bring back Jack.

http://www.shortpacked.com/comics/20050202a.gif

metr0man
09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Slott's clearly the best writer of the braintrust, no disrespect to the other guys.

I wonder what One More Day woulda been like had Queseda said to Slott "start now, and at the end, make it so Peter and MJ never got married" and backed off... I imagine OMD woulda been way better.

Venom
09-07-2008, 05:36 AM
If Amazing Spider-Man goes back to a monthly in the near future, I want the team to be Slott and Romita Jr. I don't see this happening anytime soon though.

erik larsin
10-07-2008, 12:43 AM
seen the one-shot done by bisley and grant?looks wild.

ZT4
10-07-2008, 02:09 AM
Zeb's the best writer of the brain-trust, his three issues were the most fun ASM had been since this mess began, and his Dark Origins mini-series is quality development for Venom the likes of which I havent seen handled in years. Slott's been as hit-and-miss as the rest of them, but he's definatly the classiest member of the team.

Romita gets a free pass anyday, but he's better in small doses so the demand is higher

Karl Cook
10-07-2008, 02:38 AM
If Amazing Spider-Man goes back to a monthly in the near future, I want the team to be Slott and Romita Jr. I don't see this happening anytime soon though.

Romita JR? Yes.
Slott? God, no!

Rob Thompson
10-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Romita JR? Yes.
Slott? God, no!Sadly, I agree with this. I say sadly because I really thought I was going to enjoy Slott's take on the character, and it just didn't work out like that. His interpretation in Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid was wonderful. His stuff in ASM wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable.

oldschool
10-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Sadly, I agree with this. I say sadly because I really thought I was going to enjoy Slott's take on the character, and it just didn't work out like that. His interpretation in Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid was wonderful. His stuff in ASM wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable.

You've mentioned that before and I remain puzzled; feel like we are reading 2 different books. :confused: I find his work on NWTD to be pretty equal to the Torch mini which I also hold in a very high regard. Oh well.....diff'rent strokes I guess. :confused:

Rob Thompson
10-07-2008, 05:41 AM
You've mentioned that before and I remain puzzled; feel like we are reading 2 different books. :confused: I find his work on NWTD to be pretty equal to the Torch mini which I also hold in a very high regard. Oh well.....diff'rent strokes I guess. :confused:Well, in fairness, I stopped reading ASM right before NWTD kicked off, so maybe he shined in that story.

Dom Savage
10-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Zeb's the best writer of the brain-trust, his three issues were the most fun ASM had been since this mess began, and his Dark Origins mini-series is quality development for Venom the likes of which I havent seen handled in years. Slott's been as hit-and-miss as the rest of them, but he's definatly the classiest member of the team.

Romita gets a free pass anyday, but he's better in small doses so the demand is higher

Yeah, same here. I don't think Slott's been that great on Spider-Man. I don't hate it, but it just feels so-so to me. Wells was really good, along with Bachalo, whose artwork I like.
Unfortunately, I don't agree about Romita. I'm in the minority, I know, but I absolutely hate the guy's artwork. He can't leave ASM fast enough for me.

oldschool
10-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Well, in fairness, I stopped reading ASM right before NWTD kicked off, so maybe he shined in that story.

You might want to check out his work in the TPB when it finally ships; either that or pick up his next arc and tell us what you think......

Rob Thompson
10-07-2008, 07:17 AM
You might want to check out his work in the TPB when it finally ships; either that or pick up his next arc and tell us what you think......Probably not. Like I've said elsewhere, they lost me during that first six-and-a-half months, and while I was thinking about getting the Stern issue, after reading a lot of the interviews with the Spider-editors and "Brain Trust", I think they've talked me out of supporting them for a while. Maybe if new blood moves in and starts doing the title I'll give it a try again.

oldschool
10-07-2008, 07:25 AM
We all know that they cannot have any one writer or artist on title while it is shipping thrice monthly so the best we can hope for is that JRJR stays 'in the rotation" while Slott is pretty much a given to do so.

Rob Thompson
10-07-2008, 07:28 AM
We all know that they cannot have any one writer or artist on title while it is shipping thrice monthly so the best we can hope for is that JRJR stays 'in the rotation" while Slott is pretty much a given to do so.True -- I'm thinking more along the lines of Wacker leaving probably as much as anything else. At this point, Slott could go too.

My dream "Brain Trust" would be something like :
Stern (lead)
DeMatteis
David

oldschool
10-07-2008, 07:31 AM
True -- I'm thinking more along the lines of Wacker leaving probably as much as anything else. At this point, Slott could go too.

My dream "Brain Trust" would be something like :
Stern (lead)
DeMatteis
David

I'm with you on Stern (cannot imagine many who would disagree) and David (think he was "handcuffed" on FNSM) but would put Slott (and even Wells) ahead of DeMatteis who I liked but always thought his arcs got a little too psychological and frankly had many of the same elements after awhile on Spectacular but would like to read his take on new Status Quo all the same.

Rob Thompson
10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm with you on Stern (cannot imagine many who would disagree) and David (think he was "handcuffed" on FNSM) but would put Slott (and even Wells) ahead of DeMatteis who I liked but always thought his arcs got a little too psychological and frankly had many of the same elements after awhile on Spectacular but would like to read his take on new Status Quo all the same.Well, as I have said elsewhere, I have been terribly disappointed with Slott's recent work, so I wouldn't want him. Wells is an "eh" from me.

But neither one of them is a Dematteis! I really loved his work with the character.

BTW, I left out Jenkins, who I would love to see working with the character again, too.

oldschool
10-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, as I have said elsewhere, I have been terribly disappointed with Slott's recent work, so I wouldn't want him. Wells is an "eh" from me.

But neither one of them is a Dematteis! I really loved his work with the character.

BTW, I left out Jenkins, who I would love to see working with the character again, too.

I know how you feel about Slott; I am just giving my opinions! BTW, Jenkins is one of those writers whose story "setup"and middle I absolutely loved but always felt the payoff was a huge letdown; it is why I loved his single issue stories much better. Still, would love to see his take on Spidey again.

Rob Thompson
10-07-2008, 07:42 AM
I know how you feel about Slott; I am just giving my opinions! BTW, Jenkins is one of those writers whose story "setup"and middle I absolutely loved but always felt the payoff was a huge letdown; it is why I loved his single issue stories much better. Still, would love to see his take on Spidey again.I'd love to see Jenkins working on Spidey again, too! I hear what you're saying about some of his finishes, although I haven't found that to be true of all his arcs (say the Fusion arc, for example). And he really does seem to "get" Peter Parker's character, what makes the whole Spider-Man mythos work.

oldschool
10-07-2008, 07:54 AM
I'd love to see Jenkins working on Spidey again, too! I hear what you're saying about some of his finishes, although I haven't found that to be true of all his arcs (say the Fusion arc, for example). And he really does seem to "get" Peter Parker's character, what makes the whole Spider-Man mythos work.

Agreed and agreed on your final 2 points and I really wish someone else would use Fusion who I thought was one of the best new villains of the last decade.

awesome-o4life
10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
i like slott on the book: he's funny and handles action weel with good pacing, and i understand you cant rush a story of quality
BUT JRjr's art in ASM is hardly his best. it looks scatchy and rushed, which is forgiveable for a weekly (or thereabouts) book, but it is too sketch and muddy, with no deatil whatsoever. He can draw spider-man, he's proven it in the past, but at the moment, I'd like a different artist on the book, or maybe he can do the breakdowns.

Grapeweasel
10-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah.

I don't think this run is doing much to enhance the JRJr legend.

The Infected
10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I would fully support Slott being the sole ASM writer. He's the only BND writer that's managed to 'Wow' me. And, much as I love JRJR, three issues a month may be overworking him. Especially with Kick-Ass.

Endless Flight
10-08-2008, 01:16 PM
This is an average run for Junior.

Frank
10-15-2008, 08:39 AM
It's been a bit since I read Spidey but the line since OMD has never been as good as when Slott and McNiven started their storyline. I would give Slott and Romita Jr or Slott-McNiven their own book right away.

I think instead of having three books a month by the same creative teams, keep hiring the best creators, but just have three different books with different flavors. The old model of the 80s wasn't problem; it's just that all the top guys was on Amazing Spider-Man. Just have three top creative teams on three drasticaly different Spider-Man books. It's that simple. You could have the old school style Slott and Romita for one book....a more crime-oriented/super-villain underworld title with Brubaker and Lark and something else for the third title.

CyberHubbs
10-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Wells did great during his three issues, but I also chalk some of this up to it being Bachalo on art that led me to rally behind it.

Slott gives me fun, quirky reads. He's very tongue-in-cheek even when being serious. I'd rather see him full-time on the book, but I also think the thrice-monthly shipping would ruin him. Now Slott and Martin? Full-time? I'd chain them in the basement and put them to work.

Chris S.
10-15-2008, 09:33 AM
It's been a bit since I read Spidey but the line since OMD has never been as good as when Slott and McNiven started their storyline. I would give Slott and Romita Jr or Slott-McNiven their own book right away.

Is McNiven still on the title?

Frank
10-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Is McNiven still on the title?

No he only did the first arc. Millar stole him away to do Wolverine.

Sean Whitmore
10-17-2008, 12:00 AM
If Amazing returned to a monthly schedule with Slott and Romita as the creative team, I would have zero complaints.

SEAN

agirlyman
10-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Good funny stories, and great art? I'll buy that for 3.99!

wtf ASM changing to once a month? Booooo! C'mon gimme at least twice a month! When does this happen btw?

Mister Mets
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
No he only did the first arc. Millar stole him away to do Wolverine.
I thought McNiven was never meant to do more than the first three issues. He had enough of an opening in his schedule for that, before Wolverine (and I thought he was also supposed to do an Icon book in the future).

Aziz Abbasi
10-17-2008, 10:54 PM
'Mark Bagley' can, do you know trinity is a weekly book?

carabas
10-17-2008, 11:40 PM
'Mark Bagley' can, do you know trinity is a weekly book?Not idefinitely he can't. His half year or so headstart is going to run out sooner or later. Given enough of a headstart, even Frank Quitely can do a weekly book.
But no artists can pencil four books in one month, and keep that up for years on end. Not with a severe drop in quality at least.

Mister Mets
10-18-2008, 07:35 AM
'Mark Bagley' can, do you know trinity is a weekly book?Bagley's also not drawing 22 pages an issue in Trinity.

But John Byrne can draw three books a month. Chuck Austen could draw five. Neither's likely to take over Amazing Spider-Man, though.