PDA

View Full Version : Image Recommendations please

ericnord
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some good recommendations based on my previous favorites. I'm not big in the Sci-fi (although not against cuz I loved Watchmen), more War/Crime/Etc. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything exceptional since I've not been reading that much for a couple years.

I've love the following:
1. All Bendis Graphic Novels (Goldfish, Jinx, Torso)
2. Watchmen
3. Exterminators
4. 100 Bullets
5. War Heroes
6. Punisher Max
7. Y the Last Man
8. Powers
9. Scalped
10. First Spawn series before the movie came out and all the other stories started

Thanks for any help!

michaeljsmith
08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some good recommendations based on my previous favorites. I'm not big in the Sci-fi (although not against cuz I loved Watchmen), more War/Crime/Etc. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything exceptional since I've not been reading that much for a couple years.

I've love the following:
1. All Bendis Graphic Novels (Goldfish, Jinx, Torso)
2. Watchmen
3. Exterminators
4. 100 Bullets
5. War Heroes
6. Punisher Max
7. Y the Last Man
8. Powers
9. Scalped
10. First Spawn series before the movie came out and all the other stories started

Thanks for any help!

PROOF :tongue:

DeeSnider
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
The Walking Dead

It's a post apocalyptic zombie comic, but really the zombies are just a backdrop to tell stories about human interations during tragedy.

Schmakt
08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
PROOF :tongue:

Not sure it fits your tastes, but I'll back him up. Fantastic new book. :)

Dead, She Said (from Oni) is Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) and Bernie Wrightson on a kina noir-ish ghost story kind of thing. I actually found it wasn't living up to my expectations, but I'm still reading it... not bad... I just had high expectations. :)

If you like Bendis, you should definitely check out his (and Brubaker's) and Marvel's Daredevil... and maybe Bru on Cap too.

Pax Romana from Image has a Sci-Fi/Intrique/War kind of thing going on...

The Couriers by Brian Wood (from... AiT?) is a hell of a fun guns and fast cars romp through New York.

And I'm also always obliged to recommend TMNT... Tales is still being published regularly (with art by Lawson) and often has that kind of detective slant on things you seem to like. Sometimes it's crazy weird stuff... but sometimes, I think it'd be right up your alley. You can also download all the issues from the regular TMNT ongoing for free from wowio.

Sorry there was just the single Image book in there... I'm kind of all over the place with my reading right now.

Oh. I don't think it fits your requests at all, but I do still love Savage Dragon whenever it comes out. (which should be more regularly now that Erik is spending more time on it)

Yeah. Good luck! :)

(Proof really is a great read... )

ultramandingo
08-12-2008, 04:45 PM
............. most of the stuff on your list is better than than the average image book - if your in to crime n gritty stuff you gotta check out brubakers " criminal " and ellis " fell" - plus most of the avatar stuff that dont have bikini babes on the cover - gravel , crossed , no hero ect

JC25
08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
The Walking Dead :eek: :evilsmile:

Rob.H
08-12-2008, 07:55 PM
The Walking Dead.

And Madman if you're looking for something fun and bizarre.

JC25
08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
The Gift - TPB is available in Amazon

jchichuv
08-12-2008, 10:50 PM
The walking dead its a great comic and i would also recommend you Invincible

jesse_custer
08-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Savage Dragon is getting rolling again. So I would pick that up.

Libaax
08-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Can people recommend to me Image good crime/noir,horror,action(spy)

Something like Sin City,Fell,Cal Macdonald,Hellboy,Walking Dead,Criminal,Road To Perdition etc Some good stuff and not the uber famous stuff by world famous creators like Fell and co.

Also i would love westerns in the same vien and quality of Jonah Hex. Not in the same style of storytelling,doesnt have to be episodic. I mean the cool,gritty western.

What genre is Proof ? How is Hawaian Dick ? Does it have the same annoying art like in Hawaiian Dick: Screaming Black Thunder ?

Rob.H
08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
I remember reading, a while back, a comic by Jason Rand and Juan Ferreyra. It's called Small Gods. It's has a noir-ish vibe to it and involves plenty of crime.

Here's the Amazon synopsis for the first TPB.

In 1991, after decades of skepticism and disbelief, the existence of psychic powers was finally, definitively proven. Today, an estimated 1% of the world's population possesses psychic abilities. These people are not super-heroes. In most ways, they're just ordinary people, living ordinary lives. They have families, careers, and dreams; they eat, sleep, live... and die. One such person is precognitive Detective Owen Young. Small Gods Volume 1: Killing Grin tells the story of the terrible decision he faces when a secret he's kept for years - a secret that could send not only him, but many of his friends to prison - falls into the hands of an opportunistic criminal.

I remember liking the trade. Not sure if there's more.

Libaax
08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I remember reading, a while back, a comic by Jason Rand and Juan Ferreyra. It's called Small Gods. It's has a noir-ish vibe to it and involves plenty of crime.

Here's the Amazon synopsis for the first TPB.

I remember liking the trade. Not sure if there's more.

It sounds interesting thanks !

If you know other crime without any powers let me know.

Doesnt mind this story you mentioned. Its just that i was looking for straight genre comic books like crime,horror,western. Not superhero,sf like story.

Jay Faerber
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I wrote a book a few years ago called DODGE'S BULLETS, about a musician turned private eye. It's a straight crime/mystery story -- no sci-fi or fantasy elements at all. It's an 80-page graphic novella and you can read the first few pages on my website.

~ Jay

Ben Akers
08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I wrote a book a few years ago called DODGE'S BULLETS, about a musician turned private eye. It's a straight crime/mystery story -- no sci-fi or fantasy elements at all. It's an 80-page graphic novella and you can read the first few pages on my website.

~ Jay

It was excellent.

Alex Smith
08-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Golly just started with issue 1 this week, and I really dug it. Looks like it's shaping up to be a great series. I'd check it out if I were you, nothing to catch up on that way either.

SpawnOfJon
08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I know it's been recommended already, but I feel the need to stress The Walking Dead.

I just picked up the 3rd book today. Totally amazing stuff.

Maestro
08-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Fell! Fell! FELL!!

michaeljsmith
08-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Can people recommend to me Image good crime/noir,horror,action(spy)

Something like Sin City,Fell,Cal Macdonald,Hellboy,Walking Dead,Criminal,Road To Perdition etc Some good stuff and not the uber famous stuff by world famous creators like Fell and co.

Also i would love westerns in the same vien and quality of Jonah Hex. Not in the same style of storytelling,doesnt have to be episodic. I mean the cool,gritty western.

What genre is Proof ? How is Hawaian Dick ? Does it have the same annoying art like in Hawaiian Dick: Screaming Black Thunder ?

Proof is compared to Hellboy, BPRD, and X-Files. It is Bigfoot working for a secret agency of the government hunting down monsters. It is my favorite book right now and if you want to read issue #1 for free then go to http://www.imagecomics.com/onlinecomics.php and you can read the first full issue.

Ben Akers
08-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Proof is compared to Hellboy, BPRD, and X-Files.

That's a good comparison. There is just so much depth in the Hellboy/BPRD Universe, and I see the potential for Proof. I always enjoy the heck out anything that Mignola and Company do, and I'm starting to do the same with Alex and Riley.

BigBoss
08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I am in love with gravel you might check that out if your into noir, you could even say it's kinda like hellboy.

DavidAllred
08-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Do not pass on an opportunity to read Sam Noir: Samurai Dectective. You can get that and Sam Noir: Ronin Holiday together in the Volume One graphic from Amazon.

This book was pure comic gold.

K'Nort
08-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Specific to Image crime books, I like Fell and Kane.

Fell hasn't come out in a while. The first trade is pretty much everything. Ben Templesmith art, which is not everyone's thing.

Kane is by Paul Grist (writer/artist), who also does Jack Staff. (Which is awesome, if more straight -p capes.) Image only releases it in trade form. There are six or seven so far. Modern-day police procedurals in a small town in England. Black and white art. General idea is that Detective Kane is one of the few non-corrupt officers (there's a mob lord) and so there's a lot of conflict with his coworkers.

Switching publishers, the last arc of Astro City: The Dark Ages had a strong crime noir angle. One brother was a cop, the other was a criminal.

Also, the first trade of Three Days Dead from Oni is 1920s gangsters mixed with demons. It was really good too.

suttercain
08-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Fell! Fell! FELL!!

Damn. You trip a lot...

BigBoss
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
INVINCIBLE and ASTOUNDING WOLFMAN!.

Dorsai
08-20-2008, 04:07 PM
These are my current Image pulls:

Invincible
Proof
Brit
Wolf-Man

Proof is the only one on that list that isn't part of the "Invincible Universe".

Many really like Walking Dead but it just isn't for me in an ongoing. However, I pick up a trade from time to time. Although Zombies are featured, it is more of a character driven book than a Zombie book.

I also bought the first Godland hardcover and it was rather interesting in a very Jack Kirby kind of way.

I also like Fell but I am reading it in trade. Unfortunately, there is only a single trade out at the moment...

nygizzle
08-20-2008, 04:26 PM
How are the zombies in it? I could go look myself but maybe someone else is curious. Is it the classic Romero style zombies, or the advanced zombies that can run? I hate the ones that run.

Dorsai
08-20-2008, 05:20 PM
The zombies are more like Romero's. They have no personality, don't speak, and basically seem to wander around and just eat whatever is moving.

The Zombies are really kind of a plot point. They are used to create the situations and drama that drive the characters. The comic is more about the interaction between live characters than the interaction between the live and the dead.

Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of action and plenty of zombies. But the focal points of the book don't really deal with the zombie issues as much as what people might do to survive in a world FULL of zombies...if that makes any sense to you...

atomicturtle
08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Fell and Invincible.

nygizzle
08-20-2008, 08:50 PM
The zombies are more like Romero's. They have no personality, don't speak, and basically seem to wander around and just eat whatever is moving.

The Zombies are really kind of a plot point. They are used to create the situations and drama that drive the characters. The comic is more about the interaction between live characters than the interaction between the live and the dead.

Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of action and plenty of zombies. But the focal points of the book don't really deal with the zombie issues as much as what people might do to survive in a world FULL of zombies...if that makes any sense to you...

Yeah, i getcha, i've read World War Z, Zombie Survival Guide, seen so many zombie movies, made my own short film (it was actually good... i may post it up soon) so I understand the conflicts between humans and zombies quite well. But I just didn't want them to be running from 'zombies' that were running after them. I wanted a more Brooks style with people struggling in a world thats about to be covered by zombies. I'll check it out in a few days.

Schmakt
08-21-2008, 05:13 AM
Interesting comments about The Walking Dead up there...

I've always avoided that book b/c I just don't have any interest in zombie-anything.

It sounds kind of interesting now... I may need to check out a trade or two...

and, btw... the next issue of Proof comes out next week... part 2 of the Thunderbirds story... there was still one copy of part 1 on my LCS shelf yesterday, so you might be able to jump on pretty easily... #9 is also a fun stand alone that does a good job of introducing the characters. It is, IIRC, the first issue of the series that I read...

Verminous
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
You gotta get Firebreather, Fell and Astounding Wolf-Man, all gret books.

Lots of love for Proof out there. Is there anywhere I can sample an issue or two. Also how hard is it gonna be to jump on this late on. I won't buy trades so that is out of the question. Cheers!

Dorsai
08-21-2008, 09:01 AM
You gotta get Firebreather, Fell and Astounding Wolf-Man, all gret books.

Lots of love for Proof out there. Is there anywhere I can sample an issue or two. Also how hard is it gonna be to jump on this late on. I won't buy trades so that is out of the question. Cheers!

You can read issue #1 online at the Image site.

http://www.imagecomics.com/onlinecomics.php

Proof is not too difficult. Many of the stories seem to be "done in one" or very short arcs. There isn't a lot of continuity and I would venture to say it is pretty accessible.

Libaax
08-23-2008, 01:14 AM
These are my current Image pulls:

Invincible
Proof
Brit
Wolf-Man

Proof is the only one on that list that isn't part of the "Invincible Universe".

Many really like Walking Dead but it just isn't for me in an ongoing. However, I pick up a trade from time to time. Although Zombies are featured, it is more of a character driven book than a Zombie book.

I also bought the first Godland hardcover and it was rather interesting in a very Jack Kirby kind of way.

I also like Fell but I am reading it in trade. Unfortunately, there is only a single trade out at the moment...

The way you describe it TWD is way its one of my favorite comics out there.

Its about the humans surviving in lawless,broken world filled with Zombies.

Its the characters you care about. Just like the kind of zombie movies i like the zombies are a tool of their destruction. Its not about zombie feast, ooh uber cool,dangerous zombie eating people kind of thing.

Seeing a character you feel for getting eaten is more powerful and hits you in the heart than seeing 100 zombie movies of slutty teen girls and their bfs getting eaten.

I liked in trade best but its monthly for me. Cant wait for the slow image trade shipping.

nygizzle
08-23-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah, i'm groing to pick up the first one of walking dead tomorrow. Its funny you mention focus on zombies, i dont know many things that actually do focus on zombies, which has always made me want to make a mockumentary following a day in a zombies life.

Libaax
08-24-2008, 05:25 AM
yeah, i'm groing to pick up the first one of walking dead tomorrow. Its funny you mention focus on zombies, i dont know many things that actually do focus on zombies, which has always made me want to make a mockumentary following a day in a zombies life.

I have seen too many zombie movies that are only about zombies eating people specially the classic teen character of slasher movies.

Nothing wrong with that but you want something deeper than in lit. In a comic story or a book.

TWD works for perfectly me in that way. Most of the times it feels like post apocalyptic SF,its a character piece until a zombie comes and eats a character you like :tongue:

nygizzle
08-24-2008, 09:15 AM
what are these movies you speak of? I'm generally speaking the first two Romero works and Shaun of the Dead. The first two focused on the survival in a zombie world, as did SotD, though it was funnier it was just as good in my opinion. It focused more on how they could survive while Romero's work was how they survived. The remake of DotD holds onto some of the values btu makes it more modern, unfortunately, and the zombies run. Sure, all the works show zombies, and zombies eating people, but its not like you can say in a line of dialogue "zombies are outside" and never show em.
I actually watched some crappy bmovie zombie flicks when i was researching for my zombie film, but I don't really remember them, so that could be it.

and i dont count the 'weeks later' movies.

Libaax
08-24-2008, 01:53 PM
what are these movies you speak of? I'm generally speaking the first two Romero works and Shaun of the Dead. The first two focused on the survival in a zombie world, as did SotD, though it was funnier it was just as good in my opinion. It focused more on how they could survive while Romero's work was how they survived. The remake of DotD holds onto some of the values btu makes it more modern, unfortunately, and the zombies run. Sure, all the works show zombies, and zombies eating people, but its not like you can say in a line of dialogue "zombies are outside" and never show em.
I actually watched some crappy bmovie zombie flicks when i was researching for my zombie film, but I don't really remember them, so that could be it.

and i dont count the 'weeks later' movies.

Land of The Dead (so so)and Diary of the dead(good) was typical zombie movie you waited a minute or two(okay maybe alittle more) until the next random zombie attack.

Shaun of the dead is genius.

28 days and weeks are even more simple generic zombie. Even if the second was pretty good and scary zombies.

nygizzle
08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
see, land i thought looked bad so i never even gave it a chance. Diary I thought was a decent idea, but from what I saw (hospital scene) it was horrrrrrrrrrible acting. i saw 28 days later, thought it was... alright. I thought if it were Zombies instead of 'infected' it'd be a lot better. I think the best 'new' zombie title has been Shaun. noting else compares. Well, hopefully Walking Dead does. I like World War Z a lot and have been hoping for something similar. They are making a movie over WWZ.

Montezuma
08-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Golly just started with issue 1 this week, and I really dug it. Looks like it's shaping up to be a great series. I'd check it out if I were you, nothing to catch up on that way either.

I'll second that. Golly #1 was funny as hell, has characters I was immediately interested in and good art. I don't remember the last time a comic gave me such a permagrin from the pure joy of reading it.

HaroldAllnut
09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Pax Romana from Image has a Sci-Fi/Intrique/War kind of thing going on...

The Pax Romana special came out today. It reprints issues one and two of the series, and my Christ... It's phenomenal. I was so pleased. I think issue 3 also came out today, so I'm gonna have to fly back to the shop and pick it up soon.

Fell hasn't come out in a while. The first trade is pretty much everything. Ben Templesmith art, which is not everyone's thing.

But his art is pretty damn good, IMHO. I can see where it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I'd strongly recommend it. Obviously, Warren Ellis' writing speaks for itself. The series is pretty damn bleak, but it's an interesting crime read. I say pick it up.

Bazooka Jones
09-11-2008, 10:46 PM
The Pax Romana special came out today. It reprints issues one and two of the series, and my Christ... It's phenomenal. I was so pleased. I think issue 3 also came out today, so I'm gonna have to fly back to the shop and pick it up soon.

This is exactly my experience and my reaction, but I'll repeat it. Christ... it's phenomenal. I also already went back to the shop, snagged issue 3 and read it over lunch.

I wish Hickman had more pages to develop this idea and his characters, but those pages are dense and satisfying.

KJ_81
09-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Dynamo 5

BEST super-hero team book on the market.