PDA

View Full Version : WW Chicago: What if Marvel announced more "What If?"

CBR News
06-29-2008, 12:38 PM
With all the creative changes and new titles announced this weekend, one of the most welcome announcements was that this December, Marvel Comics would once again ask that oh, so popular question: "What If?"

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17020

Trey
06-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Good luck to all the creators, but with Marvel putting out about 100 books a month, this is what they come up with? Can it survive?

I just shake my head, this can sell around 18-20,000.

WHile these guys don't have books: Silver Surfer, Namor, and Dr. Strange. 3 legendary characters, where creators can go wild with thier imagination. Instead what do we get from the likes of Bendis, Bru, Reed, Fraction, etc.? These Pseudo-superhero/spy books, which are OK, but are so damn repetitve, and unimaginative.

We get these books, OMega, MCP, Avengers Classic, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Heroes for Heroes, She-hulk, etc. Marvel can't find anyone who has a pitch that would rock? Would easily sell 30-35,000 with the right creative team?

Expletive Deleted
06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
... but with Marvel putting out about 100 books a month, this is what they come up with? Can it survive?They've been doing a batch of these one-shots each year for the last few years, and they keep coming back for more. I don't think survival is really a problem at this point.

These WHAT IF ...? one-shots aren't setting the world on fire or anything, but they're usually decent reads and they do well enough sales-wise (depending on the source material).

hondobrode
06-29-2008, 03:23 PM
What Marvel ought to do is reprint the original story in the front of the book and put the What If new material packaged behind it for maybe $ 1 more or so.