PDA

View Full Version : Marvel.com's Top Ten Deaths

Ben Morse
06-25-2008, 08:41 AM
The bell tolls for the 10 most decorated demises in Marvel history!

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4045.Take_10~colon~_Deaths

Asian_Invasion
06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Kind of predictable of who would be number one, but I was not expecting Gert to be in the top ten.

Double 0
06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Annhilus and Thanos should have been on that list, easily.

brundlefly
06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
So should either Norman (ASM #122) or Harry Osborn (SSM #200). Either one of those two could swap places with Colossus (whose death was more of a "let's finally get rid of the damned Legacy Virus" housecleaning move than a touching character moment).

Baltho08
06-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Douglas Ramsey should have been on that list.
Peace.

gorthon616
06-25-2008, 08:55 AM
So should either Norman (ASM #122) or Harry Osborn (SSM #200). Either one of those two could swap places with Colossus (whose death was more of a "let's finally get rid of the damned Legacy Virus" housecleaning move than a touching character moment).

True dat.

Honestly though, I found the Legacy Virus was a much more interesting idea than Decimation (though Decimation is being handled much better now).

Union Jack
06-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Before clicking on the link i expected Captain Marvel to be at number one.

Push You Down
06-25-2008, 10:28 AM
..I actually thought Kraven might get number 1 since its lasted and was pretty cool.

Pixie_Solanas
06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
The bell tolls for the 10 most decorated demises in Marvel history!

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4045.Take_10~colon~_Deaths

Kinda pathetic when almost half the list has been retconned back into existence (and some even killed again).

JdRavnos
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
True dat.

Honestly though, I found the Legacy Virus was a much more interesting idea than Decimation (though Decimation is being handled much better now).

Well the idea of a mutant equivelant to AIDS is pretty good, but it got pretty repetitive. Someone gets sick, wastes away, and dies. Which is a fine story. Illyana's death (which I think deserves Colossus' place on this list) I think was the first comic book to emotionally effect me. But it also happened to Mastermind, and Madrox and Infectia and Revanche and Pyro, etc and the impact was lessened after a time. And really that's all you can do with a virus based story like they had setup, people die until they find a cure. Which is why the Colossus death felt more like "Oh yeah, we've done everything we're going to with this story, let's make the end a tragedy to give it some impact."

I think, if I was the writers of the X-Books of the time, I would have milked some mystery out of the virus for a while. Where did it come from? Evil government conspiricy? One of their enemies? Etc. Having it be Stryfe, who was dead, meant that there was no one to really fight. Which makes it hard for the good guys to get a win out of the situation. It was basically just a stream of bodies until Collossus sacrificed himself.

Colossus77
06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Not a bad list really. I would have placed Jean on the 2nd list. Colossus maybe the tenth and Gert not there at all. Colossus' death was a memorable one especially since (at the time) Quesada had placed a "dead is dead" policy. Too bad that hack Whedon did the most horrible 'resurrection' in comics :(

Ben Morse
06-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Kinda pathetic when almost half the list has been retconned back into existence (and some even killed again).

I don't feel like this necessarily diminishes any of the original stories.

brundlefly
06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
.I actually thought Kraven might get number 1 since its lasted and was pretty cool.

Agreed, but I think they may have shied away from making it #1 due to it being a suicide. Don't want to get accused of suicide glorification or anything. I remember that hubbub from back when KLH first came out.

Colossus' death was a memorable one especially since (at the time) Quesada had placed a "dead is dead" policy. Too bad that hack Whedon did the most horrible 'resurrection' in comics :(

Eh. Colossus' death was gratuitous, as opposed to memorable. It was just yet another Legacy Virus death piled on top of the others and stemming from the editorial-housecleaning need to wrap up a gone-on-too-long plotline with a "big name death" to make it all seem significant. I was fine with Whedon bringing Peter back from that lame death, even if the resurrection itself was hokey. And there are countless resurrections that were far more "horrible" than that his (Norman Osborn, Aunt May, & Jason Todd, just to name three).

I don't feel like this necessarily diminishes any of the original stories.

I agree. I'm glad that the list seems to have been done by just taking the self-contained impact of the stories as the criteria, without fussing over current Marvel continuity and which nominees aren't "dead" anymore.

Mormel
06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
The Melter and Stiltman should be on this list.

DannyV_El_Acme
06-25-2008, 12:56 PM
One I liked, although it's rather obscure, was Rachel Van Helsing's death in the old Tomb Of Dracula comics. She got turned into a vampire by Dracula, and, horrified at what she had become, she asked Wolverine to stake her. Wolverine looked genuinely devastated at having to do it, one of his most emotional moments ever.

matthewaos
06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Aunt May, Harry and Norman Osborn should be on that list. Man, Spider-Man can fill a list of his own...

I think it's nice that they Spotlight on a Dixon comic. Considering the latest news, maybe that means he may write for marvel? I hope we'll see him on WJ.

Actually I thought Captain America would be #1. It's a nice list I think. Would you consider doing a "best resurrection" list? That would be fun...

gorthon616
06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Well the idea of a mutant equivelant to AIDS is pretty good, but it got pretty repetitive. Someone gets sick, wastes away, and dies. Which is a fine story. Illyana's death (which I think deserves Colossus' place on this list) I think was the first comic book to emotionally effect me. But it also happened to Mastermind, and Madrox and Infectia and Revanche and Pyro, etc and the impact was lessened after a time. And really that's all you can do with a virus based story like they had setup, people die until they find a cure. Which is why the Colossus death felt more like "Oh yeah, we've done everything we're going to with this story, let's make the end a tragedy to give it some impact."

I think, if I was the writers of the X-Books of the time, I would have milked some mystery out of the virus for a while. Where did it come from? Evil government conspiricy? One of their enemies? Etc. Having it be Stryfe, who was dead, meant that there was no one to really fight. Which makes it hard for the good guys to get a win out of the situation. It was basically just a stream of bodies until Collossus sacrificed himself.

I think the problem with it was that it was treated like a dangling plot twist rather than a new element of mutant-dom. It could have had the same catalyzing effect that Decimation had, proposing the same inevitable destruction of all Mutant-kind, but with more depth to it than "Wanda did it."

Plus, it keeps Stryfe relevant and man-o-man I love Stryfe.

Teitr Styrr
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Not a terrible list, but I would have thought a top 10 list would include Uncle Ben, Bucky and Captain Marvel.

yadadaimhollaing
06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Not a terrible list, but I would have thought a top 10 list would include Uncle Ben, Bucky and Captain Marvel.

I wonder if bucky wasn't included since it happened so long ago and not as many people read the origional story??

josh straightedge
06-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Man, Gerts death still pisses me off...my favorite character in Runaways...

LordEd1976
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
The Melter and Stiltman should be on this list.

speaking of Melter and the way he died, I would have put the 19 villians that Scrouge killed in Captain America #319 on the list.

Jake V
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I wonder if bucky wasn't included since it happened so long ago and not as many people read the origional story??

Bucky's "death" wasn't included because it never actually happened in a comic. We were told in Avengers #4 that he died in WW2 but according to the actual Captain America comics, Bucky and Cap lived well past WW2 and in to the cold war.

Lucky Luciano
06-25-2008, 08:45 PM
I didn't even seen the top two and I KNEW it had to be Gwen Stacy on top.

Madison Carter
06-25-2008, 09:02 PM
While he was always a second-tier character, at best, I can't help but mention the death of Skurge the Executioner here. Possibly the single most poetic and cinematic death scene I've ever seen in a comic.

DannyV_El_Acme
06-25-2008, 10:12 PM
speaking of Melter and the way he died, I would have put the 19 villians that Scrouge killed in Captain America #319 on the list.

Damn right, the Bar With No Name Massacre is still one of my favorite moments in comics. It just shocked me at the time to see murder on such an insane scale in a comic book.

By the way, LordED, seeing Harlock as one of your favorite heroes on your sig made me crack a smile. Definitely one of my absolute favorite characters EVER, and most definitely my most loved anime character :)

DMike
06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
While he was always a second-tier character, at best, I can't help but mention the death of Skurge the Executioner here. Possibly the single most poetic and cinematic death scene I've ever seen in a comic.

Word. I'm deeply disappointed that Skurge and Illyana weren't listed for having respectively the coolest death and the most tragically realistic death in Marvel. They could have easily replaced The Punisher's Family (really?! that's listworthy?) and Colossus (who didn't even actually die for very long via the retcon).

agrich
06-26-2008, 06:35 PM
It's not every character who dies because his past self steps through a time portal and steals in his soul. That's right, I'm talking about The Strange Death of Adam Warlock, which should certainly be on any Top 10 list.