PDA

View Full Version : How far do you think my mental image of Dick Cheney is from the truth?

Buried Alien
05-05-2008, 09:55 PM
For the past few years, every time I see U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney on TV, I imagine him saying the word "oil," and black petroleum spills out of his mouth like overflowing saliva, and off his teeth like blood from a vampire's fangs.

Lately, I've also pictured him at a machine, laughing manically as he jacks it into overload (causing prices to skyrocket, irrespective of the fact that the machine is about to blow from overexertion and take everyone with it).

How far do you think my mental image is from the truth?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Jack Zodiac
05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I think you're getting Bush and Cheney confused. That definitely sounds like George. Dick's more likely to be standing atop a black obelisk made out of the charred skulls of those who crossed him, drinking the blood of an orphan out of a hollowed out elephant tusk, while he watches illegal immigrants work his death machine as it slowly kills them, like some industrial iron maiden.

Pól Rua
05-05-2008, 11:29 PM
For the past few years, every time I see U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney on TV, I imagine him saying the word "oil," and black petroleum spills out of his mouth like overflowing saliva, and off his teeth like blood from a vampire's fangs.

Lately, I've also pictured him at a machine, laughing manically as he jacks it into overload (causing prices to skyrocket, irrespective of the fact that the machine is about to blow from overexertion and take everyone with it).

How far do you think my mental image is from the truth?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

I'd say quite far. I don't think most people truly see themselves as cartoon evildoers. I think Cheney gets up in the morning and truly thinks that he's doing the right thing for himself, his family and his loved ones.
I think people are able to induce a kind of blindness to the pain and suffering they cause and rationalize it away by convincing themselves that, in the end, things will be better.
I suspect that he sees himself as a professional who does an admittedly difficult job and does it (in his mind) well. My guess is that he's a man who abhors sentimentality and regards appeals to emotion as weak or irrational.
I think the machine image is closer, but I don't see him as laughing maniacally. I see him like a large, empty building, and he gradually seals up rooms behind him, filling the remaining living areas with things to keep himself pleased with the space he has left.

Ontir
05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
You're only missing him hiding behind a curtain, doing all this, while Dubya's lips flap before inexplicably mesmerized throngs.