PDA

View Full Version : Most misunderstood anime/manga character ever

The Fuzzes
03-19-2008, 02:21 AM
We have your loved and hated, but we also have your mixed. So who's the most controversial anime character that makes the entire anime fanbase get out of hand?

tipo4thesoul
03-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Frown Fuzzes, frown.

jesse_custer
03-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Shinji from Evangelion. People often cite him as a terrible main character because he's whiny, but last time I checked this world is full of whiny people.

The Cool Thatguy
03-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Shinji from Evangelion. People often cite him as a terrible main character because he's whiny, but last time I checked this world is full of whiny people.

Yes, but we hate them all with a burning passion ;)

ddqfpluskick
03-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Mugan from Samurai Champloo

yeoman
03-19-2008, 09:36 AM

I don't hate him because he's whiney. I just found him annoying. I hate him for what he did to a comatose co-worker in the movie.

OverMaster
03-19-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't hate him because he's whiney. I just found him annoying. I hate him for what he did to a comatose co-worker in the movie.

Then again, the movie was character assassination at its worst everywhere. The 'Identity Crisis' of Evangelion.

Asuka, with her butt kicking battle scene, was the only one to come redeemed out of that mess.

Double 0
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Gohan and everyone not named Goku and Vegeta from DBZ and GT.

They must have been misunderstood if the fanbase is responsible for the Buu Saga and GT (from what I hear, the Japanese fanbase is responsible for the Buu Saga, and Goku coming back, which neutered the rest of the cast again).

Len Ikari145
03-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Gohan and everyone not named Goku and Vegeta from DBZ and GT.

They must have been misunderstood if the fanbase is responsible for the Buu Saga and GT (from what I hear, the Japanese fanbase is responsible for the Buu Saga, and Goku coming back, which neutered the rest of the cast again).

Go further back, they were also responsible for the Android and Cell sagas(granted they were the best sagas in the series, but still...). Toriyama wanted to end after the Frieza saga but the fanbase wouldn't let him.

He tried to getting back at them with the Bulma/Vegeta pairing, but god, talk about a backfire.:rolleyes: :p

MKTerra
03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I second Shinji.

A more recent runner-up would be Kururugi Suzaku, from Code Geass. (Season 1 coming to Adult Swim in April! :p)

The Fuzzes
03-19-2008, 04:12 PM
I think Shinji has passed the gaunlet over to Uchiha Sasuke. The guy has a very polarizing fanbase and he's always the topic of disguest and the standard of controversy in any anime fan following. Just because he betrayed everyone for the sake of his revenge and used an evil villains power to obtain vengence doesn't mean he's the worst person in the world, he has a justifiable backround to compensate those neutral gray actions but it's also from a obvious perspective a wrong thing to do in a moral manga but some people disagree since Sasuke also never did those things on purpose and had the past to prove his controversial actions.

Can't we just give the guy a break? he's been through hell and back form his brother, orochimaru and madara. He really doesn't deserve all this hate given due he's a very misunderstood character who can't obtain happiness unless Itachi is dead.

OverMaster
03-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I think Shinji has passed the gaunlet over to Uchiha Sasuke. The guy has a very polarizing fanbase and he's always the topic of disguest and the standard of controversy in any anime fan following. Just because he betrayed everyone for the sake of his revenge and used an evil villains power to obtain vengence doesn't mean he's the worst person in the world, he has a justifiable backround to compensate those neutral gray actions but it's also from a obvious perspective a wrong thing to do in a moral manga but some people disagree since Sasuke also never did those things on purpose and had the past to prove his controversial actions.

Can't we just give the guy a break? he's been through hell and back form his brother, orochimaru and madara. He really doesn't deserve all this hate given due he's a very misunderstood character who can't obtain happiness unless Itachi is dead.

Part of the Sasuke hate also comes from the discontent fandom has with the series' general direction and its focus on him on detriment of the star.

OTOH, I think he has justified most of the hate he gets from SOME fans (those who don't swoon over him instead).

The Fuzzes
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Part of the Sasuke hate also comes from the discontent fandom has with the series' general direction and its focus on him on detriment of the star.

OTOH, I think he has justified most of the hate he gets from SOME fans (those who don't swoon over him instead).Isn't Sasuke the rival? He's supposed to get more quailty development than the other character due to his relationship with Naruto. I really don't know why people say he's taking over, he hasn't gotten any spotlight when shipudden started, and the story is always focused on Naruto.

MKTerra
03-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Can't we just give the guy a break? he's been through hell and back form his brother, orochimaru and madara. He really doesn't deserve all this hate given due he's a very misunderstood character who can't obtain happiness unless Itachi is dead.Did you start this thread just to have this conversation? :p

Len Ikari145
03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Did you start this thread just to have this conversation? :p

That's pretty apparent.:p

And we already had a topic dealing with Sasuke and this line of conversation. Why bring it up again?

The Fuzzes
03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm not bringing it up, I'm just stating my opinion.

Darth Joker
03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Haruhi Suzumiya

"Misunderstood" suggests to me that the character is not percieved or interpreted correctly, or that there's an element to the character that doesn't get enough attention.

I think that most anime fans basically "get" Shinji Ikari and Sasuke (Naruto); they just disagree over how bad/good it is to be the way that they are.

Shinji's defenders don't disagree that he's whiny - they simply argue that it's no big deal that he is that way (and outside of the End of Eva movie, it really isn't that big of a deal... don't get me started on the movie, though ;) ).

Sasuke's goals and actions make a fair deal of sense for an actual ninja (rooted in a Japanese-esque culture) with his personal background. Some simply think that friendship should still come first for him, while others don't.

With Haruhi Suzumiya, there's an entire side of her character that's barely noticed by the Haruhi fan community. It's the side of her character that comes through in her softer, more contemplative moments. I think that to fully understand her character you need to grasp that side of her, and few do, imo.

tipo4thesoul
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
First off, I knew this thread was going to Sasuke.

Secondly, I hated Gohan since when they were battling Freeza, probably while he was training with Pickalo. (Yes, I'm misspelling the names) Anyway, I just didn't like how weak his character was compared to everyone else. He was always afraid or worried, a direct contrast with Goku, another character I am indifferent with. Gohan spent his young years fleeing and crying everywhere, then had a HUGE power boost and boasted about it and toyed around. Then he later became a bitch again, not emotionally but his power.

Darth Joker
03-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Secondly, I hated Gohan since when they were battling Freeza, probably while he was training with Pickalo. (Yes, I'm misspelling the names) Anyway, I just didn't like how weak his character was compared to everyone else. He was always afraid or worried, a direct contrast with Goku, another character I am indifferent with. Gohan spent his young years fleeing and crying everywhere, then had a HUGE power boost and boasted about it and toyed around. Then he later became a bitch again, not emotionally but his power.

I blame Chi-Chi for that more than anything.

She wanted Gohan to live the life of a normal human boy.

Goku knew better, but it meant that Gohan needed A LOT of work.

Len Ikari145
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM

You realize he was made a 'bitch' again because fans wouldn't stop wheedling Toriyama about bringing Goku back, right? The Buu Saga was suppose to be Gohan's show and for him to be shown at the peak pinnacle of his power, but the japanese fans ruined it.

People keep complaining about Shinji lacking a backbone, but what about Toriyama?

Dark Soul # 7
03-20-2008, 01:43 AM
I'm not bringing it up, I'm just stating my opinion.And by stating your opinion you've brought it up.

Which was kind of unecessary as most people here already know your feelings towards how Sasuke is looked upon on these boards and there's an entire thread dedicated to talking about how misunderstood Sasuke is.

Crowforge
03-20-2008, 02:09 AM
I hate Sasuke Uchiha, I hated Naruto at first then mister eye make-up but god what a crybaby. If I was supposed to emphasize with him I'm sorry I don't.

OverMaster
03-20-2008, 11:35 AM
People keep complaining about Shinji lacking a backbone, but what about Toriyama?

Well, from what I understand, it is common for mangakas to be opressed and manipulated by their editors much more than American comic creators are. There are some exceptions, of course, like Go Nagai.

Bakasama
03-20-2008, 11:50 AM
That might explain why a lot of shonen manga have certain "sameness" to it. The Japanese editors seem dictate where the story goes.

Totoro Man
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
I hate Sasuke Uchiha, I hated Naruto at first then mister eye make-up but god what a crybaby. If I was supposed to emphasize with him I'm sorry I don't.

who is "Mister Eye Make-up"? I don't remember this character? ;)

I'm going to suggest that Akane Tendo is "misunderstood" because people only think of her in light of ONE character attribute--her temper/jealousy/insecurity in regards to Ranma. she has other character attributes.

this situation is compounded by lots of one-dimensional fanfic authors. Akane, from the manga, is actually not all that bad-- is it WRONG for her to be jealous of her fiancee? her behaviour isn't even all that bad compared to a lot of the girls (her age) I've worked with.

I'm gonna say "Akane's fairly nice--she's not a saint (not by a long shot), but she's not this monstrous short-tempered ogre that people always make her out to be." besides, it's the weakness and imperfections of her character that make her interesting.

Guy1
03-23-2008, 05:55 PM

I'm going to suggest that Akane Tendo is "misunderstood" because people only think of her in light of ONE character attribute--her temper/jealousy/insecurity in regards to Ranma. she has other character attributes.

this situation is compounded by lots of one-dimensional fanfic authors. Akane, from the manga, is actually not all that bad-- is it WRONG for her to be jealous of her fiancee? her behaviour isn't even all that bad compared to a lot of the girls (her age) I've worked with.

I'm gonna say "Akane's fairly nice--she's not a saint (not by a long shot), but she's not this monstrous short-tempered ogre that people always make her out to be." besides, it's the weakness and imperfections of her character that make her interesting.

Mr. eyemakeup is probably Gaara.

Emperor Time
03-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Mr. eyemakeup is probably Gaara.

That my guess too. :)

Darth Joker
03-23-2008, 07:04 PM

Akane's nice enough to everybody not named Ranma (her treatment of Kuno I can understand). She starts out rather sexist, but Ryoga (through simply being the great guy that he is) cures her of that, imo.

Her treatment of Ranma is largely a by-product of what could be called tsundere disease.

Basically, she's an anime stock character - perhaps even the prototype of her particular stock character type.

If you look beyond her tsundere disease, she's not too bad.

It all comes down to how you interpret the slapstick comedy of Ranma - do you take it as something not to be factored into a character's overall characterization, or do you take it as a characteristic of that character (i.e. amongst those causing the slapstick comedy)?

If it's the former, Akane's a pretty good protagonist and person, overall.

If it's the latter, she should be forced into anger management psychiatric counselling, and perhaps even face some legal penalties for brutal physical assaults.