PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Update... Zatana And Daredevil.. Wondercon!

Stuart Sayger
02-27-2008, 12:26 AM
While at the conventions I do a lot of sketches that don't see print anywhere! They are drawn on the spot and whisked away to a private collection. I love it that these pieces are given a loving home, but they also need to be shared and enjoyed by everyone!
THAT'S WHAT THIS POST IS ALL ABOUT!
Every few weeks I"ll update the link below to display a different convention drawing! If you have one of my convention sketches, or even a full blown commission, send me a scan and I'll be sure share!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

last weekend I attended Wondercon in San Fran Cal-li-forn-I-A... It was one of the few 3 day comic convention that I had yet to attend... WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG!? It was a great time! lots of fun, lots of drawing... A great way to kick off the 2008 convention year!... What better way to start off the convention year with two classic sketch requests... Daredevil and Zatanna... !
Zatanna is an odd li'l character to me in the comics world... She's a character that I see many fans asking for sketches of, but the funny thing is, I don't think that this character is strong enough to support a monthly comic... lots of requests to look at her, not much interest in reading about her... I think that we all know what's going on here...

Anyway... I liked both of these pieces and wanted to share. For those of you who couldn't make it to the show, Iíll be back in Cali 2 times in the next few months... First at Wizard World LA... Then my favorite 2-day show... SUPERCON in San Jose.. ( Go to the Supercon website and look at the fantastic guest list .. un-real!)
http://www.super-con.com/main.html

O.K. im still tried from my flight home... see you all next weekend at Megacon In Orlando!

[http://users.mw.net/~karza/forum/stu.zat.1.jpg

http://users.mw.net/~karza/forum/stu.zat.2.jpg

http://users.mw.net/~karza/forum/stu.devil1.jpg

Brian Cronin
02-27-2008, 12:36 AM
That Daredevil is quite striking, Stuart.

Good stuff.

-Brian

Kristin
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Ooh, that Zee is gorgeous, I want her!

I don't see a monthly book happening for her, but I'd love to see another mini or maxi series. Morrison's mini was nice and all, I'd just rather the focus be completely on her and not have to tie it into six other stories. I adore Zatanna, and not just because she runs around in fishnets and heels. When written properly (ahem, Dini) she's so much fun.

babydave
03-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Both of those look really good.

Going to as many conventions as you seem to, do you ever get into a rut where you're being asked to sketch Batman for the Billionth time and you can't think of a new and interesting way to do it?

Stuart Sayger
03-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Kristin.. don't hold back.. tell 'em what you want... I always joke with folks at the conventions when they ask me for a zatana sketch... I wait till they come back to pick up the finished piece, As im reaching under my table to get it, I tell them that It looks great.. and that I decided to draw her in the 1980's George Perez costume!

see pic...
http://www.charmedone.org/images/poster-perez.jpg

then I pull out the piece and show them it has fishnets like they want...

Stuart Sayger
03-03-2008, 05:42 AM
BABYDAVE!... I have to tell you, your question is one of the best that Iíve been asked ever.. I'm very interested in the answer, not just for myself, but what other artist's say...

I do indeed get asked to draw Batman a lot... and it is a bit of a challenge to keep the drawings fresh, but at the same time that might not be what the fan wants...

personally I really like Batman and enjoy drawing him.. I still have that love for the character. I've got a lot of stories that I would love to tell with him. So my personal interest it still high.... I can come up with styles to draw him in, or things to have him do that interest me, but that may not be what the fan wants... I think most fans out there commissioning an artist to draw a character for which that artist is well know for wants a piece that is very consistent with their previous work on that character... They want more of what they already like! So it kinda cuts both ways... As an artist you often want to create something very different, but a fan may want more of the "same"

... I've often wondered if this is why so many of the more recent Neal Adams drawings of Batman show the character with blood coming out of his mouth..? Is Neal simply looking for new ways to stay interested when drawing the same character..? If so, I couldn't blame him...

Also.. Years ago I was sitting in on a panel with a lot of artists who'd been in the industry for a long time, when they were asked the same question of how to stay interested when drawing the same character over and over... I don't remember which artist was specifically asked, but he flanked off the question to another artist on the panel... DAN DECARLO!

AFTER 40 YEARS.. HOW DOES DAN DECARLO KEEP DRAWING ARCHIE, BETTY, AND VERONICA AND STILL BE INTERESTED... The whole room knew that of everyone who'd ever worked in comics here was the artist who had probably drawn the same characters, in more comics, for more years, than any other artist out there!! Dan stated that he was always working with different writers and that helped keep the characters fresh. I got the feeling that a lot of the fans weren't buying the answer... Dan did go on to say that he gave the girls very different outfits and sometimes hair styles as well and that that helped keep things fresh. I figure that if Decarlo can keep those characters fresh to work with, anyone can do it!

babydave
03-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Stuart,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and provide such a lengthy answer as well.

"Dan stated that he was always working with different writers and that helped keep the characters fresh."

Well sure, if you're a regular penciller I would imagine what keeps it fresh is the stories coming from the writer and the situations s/he's put in and emotions s/he has to convey, but for yourself as an artist set up at a convention who will get asked to draw characters you're not particularly interested in and/or characters you've been asked to draw several times, how do you handle that? As someone who takes a sketchbook to conventions to get people like you to sketch in it, I am looking for a unique piece of art--one of a kind, if you will--but I can see what you mean about a lot of convention goers wanting the standard pose, etc.

I guess one thing that's on my mind is that I don't want to pay someone for a sketch and have it looking just like someone else's sketch from last year's convention. Sometimes I get the impression, as I'm watching an artist draw in my or someone else's sketchbook, that they've drawn this same sketch a hundred times and that's just what they give to people when they ask. I'm not saying you're one of those people, though.

I just know it would drive me nuts hearing the twentieth person of the weekend come up to me and say "I would like a sketch of Batman... make him look dark and moody (is there any other way, really?) and/or perched on top of a building" or something of that nature (Another example, "I want a Joker... make him look crazy!"--like there's another option)

Thanks again for your time.

Benny64k
03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
r yu still doing the bionical stuff? I nocied a different artist

Stuart Sayger
03-10-2008, 07:06 AM
After two years my time on Bionicle has completed! It was a great ride and alot of fun. I doubt that I'll ever have a job in comics quite like it... As time goes by im sure that I'll miss drawing those li'l guys more and more... But for now I'm excited to sink my teeth into other projects. After drawing all that mech I need to get back to some thing really moody! I'm glad that you liked my work on Bionicle... It feels good to know that you'll be missed!