PDA

View Full Version : Why does Marvel put Jean Grey everywhere

long live jean grey
02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
if they don't want her in the books? Furthermore, why don't they want her in the books?

She's obviously a big seller!

Why don't they just bring her back instead of teasing?

IronKing
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
The longer she's gone, the bigger it'll be when she comes back.

ToxicTeen
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Why don't they just bring her back instead of teasing?

Cause Marvel is enforcing their "Dead is Dead" policy. :p

long live jean grey
02-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Cause Marvel is enforcing their "Dead is Dead" policy. :p

And Cable?

Deus ex Chris
02-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Death and resurrection are her thing. They--in the form of the Phoenix Saga--solidify her position at the top of the pile, along with being a founder and first actual X-Woman.

Matthew K.
02-26-2008, 08:59 PM
They hardly put her everywhere.

Yoshi
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
She will be back but really, there are a ton of threads about Jean Grey. I mean she is one of my favorites but I am having a thread overload with her.

Slung
02-26-2008, 09:03 PM
She will be back but really, there are a ton of threads about Jean Grey. I mean she is one of my favorites but I am having a thread overload with her.

This is only the second on the front page, doesn't seem an over-abundance.

QUESTION:
What is the reason she keeps showing up?

ANSWER:
She's a fierce, independent diva of hot, sexy awesomeness!!!

Optic Rage!
02-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Another Jean thread...

Exactly what was needed.

ToxicTeen
02-26-2008, 09:06 PM
And Cable?

Everyone thought he was dead though they couldn't find the body. ;)

Slung
02-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Another Jean thread...

Exactly what was needed.

I'm glad we're on the same page. The same page with that one other Jean Grey thread! Yes for TWO Jean threads!

Its like those TONS of other deaths and resurrections she's had...the two deaths...

Optic Rage!
02-26-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm glad we're on the same page. The same page with that one other Jean Grey thread! Yes for TWO Jean threads!

Its like those TONS of other deaths and resurrections she's had...the two deaths...

Come on, dont deny it!!!

Yoshi
02-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Yes but you are talking about the first page, we are talking about the past couple days.

HellFrost
02-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Let's hope they pull the same stunt with Lady M... Her death was soooooo bogus!:mad:

drwho
02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
It is more interesting wondering when jean will be resurrected then actually having her around. ;)

Slung
02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes but you are talking about the first page, we are talking about the past couple days.

There were four or five in the first four or five pages. Doesn't seem excessive. But then, earlier today and yesterday when there were NO Jean threads on the first page I was sort of bored.

podmark
02-26-2008, 09:20 PM
And Cable?

If you're talking about his "death" in X-Men 200 that's not comparable in any way. That scene was written with his role in Messiah Complex in mind. It's a story driven decision with a lead in to another story.

Jean is different at the moment. She was killed and meant to be dead during Morrison's run. With that in mind Marvel is playing out that story position.

Why hasn't she come back? Conflicted fan support (there's a very distinct group of fans that don't want Jean back anytime soon)? Editorial trying to justify a death scene? Lack of creator interest? I don't really know.

Technically she is alive, and she will be back eventually.

drwho
02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I wonder if jean and Quasar are getting it on in the white hot room. That has gotta be the dumbest concept i have ever heard of "the white hot room". oy vey Only way I could ever see Jean back is if Cyclops and she were over with and have her really hook up with Wolverine or a new man.

Brian M.
02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Becuase They Fucking Can!!!!! It's Their God Damn Character And If They Wanna Put Her On The Cover To A Book About Bunny's And Zombies They Can. It's Their Character, They Can Do What They God Damn Well Please!!!!!!!!!!

We R. Venom
02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Becuase They Fucking Can!!!!! It's Their God Damn Character And If They Wanna Put Her On The Cover To A Book About Bunny's And Zombies They Can. It's Their Character, They Can Do What They God Damn Well Please!!!!!!!!!!

So...so, true. Plus she is hot and an "Icon," if you use the word.

drwho
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
So...so, true. Plus she is hot and an "Icon," if you use the word.

Without the Phoenix costume people would think she was Mary Jane. That shows how iconic she is. :rolleyes:

Slung
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
If you're talking about his "death" in X-Men 200 that's not comparable in any way. That scene was written with his role in Messiah Complex in mind. It's a story driven decision with a lead in to another story.

Jean is different at the moment. She was killed and meant to be dead during Morrison's run. With that in mind Marvel is playing out that story position.

Why hasn't she come back? Conflicted fan support (there's a very distinct group of fans that don't want Jean back anytime soon)? Editorial trying to justify a death scene? Lack of creator interest? I don't really know.

Technically she is alive, and she will be back eventually.

Interestingly, Morrison left an easy way for her return (an egg on the moon).

Storywise, conflict and drama would support her return. A lot of interesting things could be done with her now that Scott has moved on from her and from Xavier's dream.

Fan support is clearly in favor of Jean (on Marvel's website, she's top ten profiles on CBR she was the top two Marvel female characters).

Creators Mike Carey, Ed Brubaker and Chris Yost have all expressed interest in using Jean and have said essentially that Marvel won't let them.

Without the Phoenix costume people would think she was Mary Jane. That shows how iconic she is. :rolleyes:

And without his costume, people would think Spider-Man was Jamie Madrox. Or without her white, sexy outfit, Emma would be thought to be Sue Storm. Without Cyclops visor he would look like Peter Parker. Whatever. Anyone without their iconic outfit or look is NOT iconic. Duh.

Brian M.
02-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Only if you're retarded.

Butters
02-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Creators Mike Carey, Ed Brubaker and Chris Yost have all expressed interest in using Jean and have said essentially that Marvel won't let them.

You do not want Yost writing her. Trust me. It will not end will.

Carey actually will get to use her because of Legacy.

Brubaker is your main hope.

Deus ex Chris
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Without their costumes, people would have no idea who Superman, Batman or Spider-Man were either. That's kinda the point of the costumes and chest symbols and such.

Slung
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Without their costumes, people would have no idea who Superman, Batman or Spider-Man were either. That's kinda the point of the costumes and chest symbols and such.

Thank God for common sense. I love you Chris.

pryde15
02-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Just because the Spiderman fans lost Mary Jane, doesn't mean you can use Jean as a replacement. :D

Butters
02-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Without their costumes, people would have no idea who Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man are either.

Clark Kent is pretty easily recognizable.

HellFrost
02-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Just because the Spiderman fans lost Mary Jane, doesn't mean you can use Jean as a replacement. :D

don't rub it in.......... is she really supposed to be Jackpot btw? I think that's what we were supposed to get from that free comic day.

pryde15
02-26-2008, 09:34 PM
don't rub it in.......... is she really supposed to be Jackpot btw? I think that's what we were supposed to get from that free comic day.

It felt like perfect timing, lol, and I don't know. It comes out to often for me to keep track. Last I checked she revealed her name to be Sara, but I think another issue has come out since then.

Deus ex Chris
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Clark Kent is pretty easily recognizable.
Maybe if you're reading or watching Superman, but in general, I don't think he's that distinctive.

podmark
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Interestingly, Morrison left an easy way for her return (an egg on the moon).

Storywise, conflict and drama would support her return. A lot of interesting things could be done with her now that Scott has moved on from her and from Xavier's dream.

Fan support is clearly in favor of Jean (on Marvel's website, she's top ten profiles on CBR she was the top two Marvel female characters).

Yeah like I said in my first post I didn't really know. I just posted possibilities.

Butters
02-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Maybe if you're reading or watching Superman, but in general, I don't think he's that distinctive.

He is Superman with a suit and a pair of glasses. He is not fooling most people.

Brian M.
02-26-2008, 09:37 PM
He is Superman with a suit and a pair of glasses. He is not fooling most people.

Most people are dumb.

Deus ex Chris
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
If you're not expecting him to be Superman, then he's just a guy with black hair and glasses.

Butters
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Most people are dumb.

True. I will concede to your point.

HellFrost
02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Most people are dumb.

Try... everyone in the DCU. i mean come on?!?!? You people really can't tell the difference just because of a pair a glasses?!?!? I just want to take Lois Lanes little note pad and slap her in the face with it!

Slung
02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Try... everyone in the DCU. i mean come on?!?!? You people really can't tell the difference just because of a pair a glasses?!?!? I just want to take Lois Lanes little note pad and slap her in the face with it!

Isn't she married to him or something now. Or did I make that up.

*Slung only reads ONE DCU book - Booster Gold*

Butters
02-26-2008, 09:44 PM

Booster Gold is cool.

And I figured there marriage ended after Superman made a deal with a demon since the editors want to tell stories with a single Superman... Or maybe I am getting mixed up... Eh.

Deus ex Chris
02-26-2008, 09:44 PM
No, they're married and very boring.

Lois is much better in All-Star Superman where they AREN'T married, and she's still a major bitch.

HellFrost
02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
But for the longest time... the stupid b*tch could not figure it out... how DUMB do you have to be?

Omega Alpha
02-26-2008, 09:52 PM
It is more interesting wondering when jean will be resurrected then actually having her around. ;)

And that's the correct answer.

We R. Venom
02-26-2008, 09:57 PM

She looks nothing like MJ. But your obviously serious so I won't even ask.

Kage Kisaragi
02-27-2008, 04:31 AM

Well Psylocke was dead and she was brought back.

Emma was technically dead (body shattered) and yet they brought her back, ironically Jean did it.

Colossus was dead and yet not dead enough in most places, yet Jean Greydies and it's off to the races.

Charybdis4
02-27-2008, 05:32 AM
Well Psylocke was dead and she was brought back.

Emma was technically dead (body shattered) and yet they brought her back, ironically Jean did it.

Colossus was dead and yet not dead enough in most places, yet Jean Greydies and it's off to the races.

Yup - the one character than should be able to come back without any hassles (ie. The Phoenix dies to be reborn) is the one who gets the most grief when it happens :rolleyes: Whereas other characters can get stabbed through the heart, shattered, nuked, talked to death by Jubilee & then pop back with a simple "hi there, I'm back!" & no one bats an eyelid! Priceless.....

But hey! I'm not bitter :) I'm a happy Jean fan!

But to answer the main question, the reason Marvel keep using her is because Jean/Phoenix is one of their most iconic & marketable characters. There is history to the character & even many non-comic readers know about her or could at least identify her (try doing that with Emma Frost & the likely reply would probably be "...is she a waitress at Hooters?")

I would definitely say that Jean/Phoenix is up there with only She Hulk & possibly the Invisible Woman (& maybe Ms Marvel) as the most iconic Marvel Women.

And before the "Anti-Jeans" (or AJs for short) start up, I would agree that the Phoenix has made her an iconic character. Without it, most people would perceive her as just another one of the many generic female characters of Marvel.

BUT (& this is a big "BUT") Rachel/Phoenix, Korvus/Phoenix, Vulcan/Phoenix, Aunt May/Phoenix, Emma/Phoenix (shudder), Neron/Phoenix & any of the other characters that have been touched by the firey bird, do not have that iconic appeal to them.

Novaya Havoc
02-27-2008, 05:44 AM
ANSWER:
She's a fierce, independent diva of hot, sexy awesomeness!!!

Lies! Remember X-Men: The Animated Series?

The only time I saw her angry was when Dazzler was taking her manz! Otherwise she was all "GAMBIT!!!" when she was in the kitchen COOKING THE X-MEN'S CHRISTMAS DINNER!

Ann Nichols
02-27-2008, 05:45 AM
You forgot the Bald Phoenix! ;-)
http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/costume/xavier-bigcostume4.jpg

I suspect Jean would be back by now if not for the Emma-Scott pairing.

Anyway, Jean has a big part in this week's "First Class."

Michael Sean
02-27-2008, 05:50 AM

I like Booster Gold too. Though I'm new to him. I was introduced through one episode of Justice League Unlimited.

Slung
02-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Lies! Remember X-Men: The Animated Series?

The only time I saw her angry was when Dazzler was taking her manz! Otherwise she was all "GAMBIT!!!" when she was in the kitchen COOKING THE X-MEN'S CHRISTMAS DINNER!

Now, now, don't make me dig up pictures of Longshot-loving, Outback, N00b Dazzler who, when faced with her hearts desire, chose to be a NOT-SO-FABULOUS homeless bag woman.

OR direct you pink-haired, scissor sister Dazzler.

Lets keep TAS Jean out of this and all discussion and Dazzler can retain some modicum of an illusion of fabulous-ness.

Novaya Havoc
02-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Now, now, don't make me dig up pictures of Longshot-loving, Outback, N00b Dazzler who, when faced with her hearts desire, chose to be a NOT-SO-FABULOUS homeless bag woman.

OR direct you pink-haired, scissor sister Dazzler.

Lets keep TAS Jean out of this and all discussion and Dazzler can retain some modicum of an illusion of fabulous-ness.

AIIiiIIIEEEeeeE!! HOW DARE YOU! IT IS NOT AN ILLUSION OF FABULOUS! THOSE HEINOUS DAZZLERS ARE SKRULLS! SKRUUUULLSSSS!!11

Num48champ
02-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Anyway, Jean has a big part in this week's "First Class."

I love this book.:cool:

Henry T.
02-27-2008, 08:10 AM

Butters, I posted a series of scans for you in the Jean appreciation thread, since you've not seen the White Hot Room in the comics. :)

Erik B
02-27-2008, 08:16 AM
they put her everywhere so they can annoy us like in Borat when he was talking about his sister and his brother

"you will never get this, you will never get this"

Madrox84
02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Because they own the character... And using her always winds up a certain number of fans???

Also it was only assumed Cable was dead, as he hadn't contacted anyone to inform them he survived... No body was found, and no funeral was held.

Pach!
02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
LOL.

I heart Jean teases. I, for one, simply can not wait for the next tease + thread.