PDA

View Full Version : most popular Marvel of the 1960's

Karen El
02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Which would you guess? No fair looking it up.

The Ray
02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Spider-Man.

The Tyrant Virus
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Fantastic Four? I dunno. Weren't they at the top at one point? Considering I wasn't even in the world till '82, I have no clue. My guess would be FF or Spidey.

Jack Zodiac
02-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm gonna guess Fantastic Four.

Bo Bo
02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I voted for Millie the model, cause I have no idea what that's about, but it seems so far off from the other choices, I just had to pick it.

Major Comma
02-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Fantastic Four.

stealthwise
02-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Spider-Man. Stan Lee even said that at one point, Spidey could have been the hugest brand in the world, but Lee wanted to focus on the Marvel line as a whole, so held back on the Spider-promotion.

Millie the Model was a pretty popular Betty-and-Veronica type book at one point, if I recall though.

Libaax
02-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I geuss FF too since i know marvel history.

FF was earlier than spidey and they were bigger at first.

Tommy
02-08-2008, 12:59 PM
My guess from reading this is that we are all suposed to be shocked when it is revealed that Millie the Model is the most popular Marvel comic of the 1960's. (Though I don't know if it was or not.)

Of course if that is the point then this has been set up very badly.

Karen El
02-08-2008, 01:12 PM
My guess from reading this is that we are all suposed to be shocked when it is revealed that Millie the Model is the most popular Marvel comic of the 1960's. (Though I don't know if it was or not.)

Of course if that is the point then this has been set up very badly.

Oh, way to suck the fun out of everything, Mister Grumpy.

I was prompted by the thread about comics in the '50's to think about Marvel's non-superhero comics in the early days, but the only ones I could think of were Sgt. Fury (War) and Millie (romance/humour). But yeah, Millie was way more successful than any of their superhero titles during the sixties.

stealthwise
02-08-2008, 01:13 PM

I was prompted by the thread about comics in the '50's to think about Marvel's non-superhero comics in the early days, but the only ones I could think of were Sgt. Fury (War) and Millie (romance/humour). But yeah, Millie was way more successful than any of their superhero titles during the sixties.

In terms of sales figures? Because that's fair enough, although it discounts the actual "household name" factor of Spider-Man, along with the tv shows and the merchandise so popular in the 60s.

Jack Zodiac
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM

Not that I don't believe it, but do you have any, like... proof?

The Ray
02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
She has hyperbole and that's all the proof you need in comics.

Karen El
02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Not that I don't believe it, but do you have any, like... proof?

I can't give you actual sales figures, but apart from her main title, which ran for 28 years between 1945 and 1973, during the sixties she had one of the first Marvel annuals, ten of them between 62 and 71, also Life with Millie/Modelling with Millie (54 issues), Mad About Millie (17 issues), and even a spin off featuring her rival Chilli ran for 26 issues.

At a time when Marvel superheroes were being squeezed two to a book because of distribution limitations, Millie was getting two all to herself.

So where's my Essential Millie?!? Where????

Jack Zodiac
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, but where was her Civil War tie-in? "Most popular" my ass!

The Ray
02-08-2008, 02:00 PM

Flawless Victory.

Fatality.

Karen El
02-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Millie the Model #107 (March 1962). Not only does it feature a tie in to a story that wouldn't be published for 44 years but it also includes a Jack Kirby cameo that's not even drawn by Jack Kirby!

CutterMike
02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I can't give you actual sales figures, but apart from her main title, which ran for 28 years between 1945 and 1973, during the sixties she had one of the first Marvel annuals, ten of them between 62 and 71, also Life with Millie/Modelling with Millie (54 issues), Mad About Millie (17 issues), and even a spin off featuring her rival Chilli ran for 26 issues.

At a time when Marvel superheroes were being squeezed two to a book because of distribution limitations, Millie was getting two all to herself.

So where's my Essential Millie?!? Where????

Millie and Patsy Walker (star of another Marvel humor strip - later to become "Hellcat") were both brought officially into the Marvel Universe so they could be present at Reed and Sue Richards' wedding

Jack Zodiac
02-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Millie the Model #107 (March 1962). Not only does it feature a tie in to a story that wouldn't be published for 44 years but it also includes a Jack Kirby cameo that's not even drawn by Jack Kirby!

If she registered, I swear I'll lose all respect for her as a comic book character!

scout1279
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
If she registered, I swear I'll lose all respect for her as a comic book character!

I don't know, but where did Hellcat stand on registration? The Immonen's didn't bring that up at all in "The Girl Who Could Be You," and now I am all confused as to how it fits into continuity.

And how come Patsy Walker got to become a superhero and not Millie? Oh, maybe she's Jackpot.

Jack Zodiac
02-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Why not? If Gail could bring Lady Cop back... :p

Karen El
02-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Three years ago Marvel was all set to bring back Millie as a 15 year old tennis player. Coincidence? I think not.