PDA

View Full Version : Supergirl and the Legion #36 - Spoilers and a question

Matthew E
11-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Very nice wrapup to your storyline; quite a creditable effort over those six issues. You and Dennis Calero will not be forgotten.

I do have a question or two.

1. Who does and does not know about Dream Girl's continued existence? Saturn Girl seems surprised to see her in #36, but Saturn Girl was definitely among the Legionnaires who learned she was still around back in #30. Does the Legion know she sort of exists, or not?

2. What exactly went on on Winath? I know Brainy planted the information about Mekt and Jeyra and the idea for destroying the Dominator homeworld; no problem there. But who was responsible for the Cult of Validus, and why? I can see two possible answers, neither of which is at all satisfying:
- Vrax Gozzl was behind the Validus cult. But why would he do that? What does he get out of it? I can't think of a motive.
- Brainy was behind the Validus cult, and forged Vrax Gozzl's microsignature as a way of implicating the Wanderers in this crime. But would Brainy really do that to a bunch of innocent farmers that included the parents of two of his teammates? I certainly hope he wouldn't.
So what's the story?

Thanks.

Scott Mateo
12-01-2007, 01:50 AM
Tony,

Just wanted to say your Legion run was the best I've read since Levitz was writing the LSH! I really like how you tied everything up in the last issue, although somewhat anti-climatic, it had all the hair raised on the back of my neck and the art was incredibly anthemic at the end. I hope you're on a regular title soon.

P.S. Thanks for recommending NEXUS, I'm really digging it. :)

Tony Bedard
12-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Scott,

If you're reading NEXUS, then my work here is done!

Matthew,

1-You're right -- I botched it. I'd gotten the idea that Dream Boy had found out, but I totally forgot the scene where he explains her existence to so many of the others, including Saturn Girl. I really do try to do my homework, but clearly I goofed here. I don't think it brings down the whole story, but it was a bit boneheaded.

2-It wasn't Vrax. I think Brainy, in this incarnation, is capable of anything he thinks is necessary for the greater good. I do think he is a genuine good guy, but has no problem being ruthlessly Machiavellian. That was sort of the whole point of the story arc. And I think he is a more interesting character because of this. Now, Shooter probably disagrees with me on this view of the character, but I think it's consistent with how he's been portrayed since Waid and Kitson relaunched the title. Brainiac 5 is a good guy...and the last guy you'd ever want to mess with.

Matthew E
12-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks very much.

saintsaucey
12-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Tony your LSH run was top nitch. Tell your artist and colorist that they did a wonderfull job as well. I did see one instance where supergirls shield was black in the back ground instead of yellow but i'll forgive him. they colors were well done and remind me of who ever colors pacheco'd dtuff in superman. When are those bone heads at dc gonna give you a full time gig on a book. you've more than earned it with bop, and lsh. you should be writing something long term dude. just my opinion. Have a nice day and make sure fluffy is getting enough love.

thorionthei
12-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Tony, this issue was pretty good. It felt rushed though. I enjoyed your Legion lots!

Tony Bedard
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
I agree, it did feel a bit rushed. It's my chronic weakness: endings. I'm working on it, though... :rolleyes:

Matt K
12-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I very much enjoyed your run on the title especially Matter Eating Esq.. And while endings could use a little work (then again endings are Stephen King's weakens and he does pretty good for himself) I enjoyed how everything came together in the end. My only regret (besides not seeing more of Bedard's Legion) is that Cosmic Boy didn't reappear in the end. Overall a great story arc and you had a great handle on Brainy. Good Luck with whatever else you work on.

Lucky
12-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Tony, I just want to say I really enjoyed your run on the title. You were always the writer I thought would be perfect for the book, and your run didn't disappoint at all. I hope you get to come back to the book at some point in the future!

Tony Bedard
12-20-2007, 03:36 AM
I hope so, too, Lucky!

As for Cosmic Boy's return, I'm sure that'll be a big deal in Shooter's run. In a way, my job was just to keep the seat warm for Shooter, so there were certain things I couldn't resolve in my 6 issues. But I did try to have some big things happen and i tried to make a statement about Brainy, who I think is the most interesting Legionnaire.

Matthew E
01-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Another question, if you don't mind:

In your Legion issues, you portrayed Validus as a mythological figure on Winath. But in The Brave and the Bold, Mark Waid showed him as a member of the Fatal Five, just like he's always been. Later events in Brave and Bold confirmed that you and he were writing about the same version of the Legion. So my question is, was there any coordination about just who Validus is? Or was it just a detail that I'm the only one who's worrying about it?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Bedard
01-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Since there was a pre-Crisis link between Validus and Lightning Lad (it was his son Garreth, mutated by Darkseid, right?) and since Validus shoots "brain-lightning", I just meant to suggest some mythological source for the name of the Fatal Five character when he eventually shows up. I did not mean to say the fatal Five's Validus is a mythological figure from Winath, just that maybe his name came from there. And it was also a bit of a head-fake to the readers, making them expect Validus might show up, then paying off in a different way. But, no real master plan or signifiicance beyond that.

Matthew E
01-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Oh, okay. That makes sense. Thanks.

legionnaire
01-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Just a quick one, Tony ...

As a follower of the Legion from day one, I have to say that no-one used ME Lad's powers better in a story than you. Great stuff (although I would have preferred it if Tenzil had been an actual Legionnaire ... )

Ray