PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero III!

Nate Grey
10-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Wal-Mart has broke street date again, and as of Monday (maybe sooner, I just happened to discover it on Monday) GH3, just the game though, is available for the PS2 and 360. I have it reserved for the PS2 at Best Buy, so I'm going to fight the urge to get it early simply because I want that cordless guitar controller. Hmm...actually doing the math, if I got the game and cordless guitar (the white one) seperately, I'm only saving $20. Arg...I'll wait.

And yes, you heard right, reserved for the PS2. I don't have any next gen systems yet, though I *may* get a 360 around Christmas as a Christmas present to myself. :D Sucks only the PS3 and 360 versions have online play, but I can live with that for now.

Does anyone else have it reserved, or is everyone Guitar Hero'd out? I still haven't beat GH2 on hard yet, mostly cause when I started to play on hard GH:RT8 came out and that's where all my attention went. Haven't beat THAT on hard either, though I'm working on it. Which also begs the question: who gets sequels when they haven't finished the original? :D

Thorlief
10-24-2007, 07:55 AM
I really want to try out what the fuss is about. I will eventually get the 360 version

Nate Grey
10-24-2007, 07:59 AM
I really want to try out what the fuss is about. I will eventually get the 360 version

Love your new avatar. LOL

My friend who works at the comic store told me that bars actually have Guitar Hero championships now. I mean, I can see getting drunk and playing Guitar Hero (did that at a New Year's Eve party in fact), but I didn't realize it had become THAT big. Perhaps its going to replace karaoke?

Thorlief
10-24-2007, 08:29 AM
heh thanks

see I didnt reealize it was that huge because none of my friends use to play it, but seeing how much hype GH3 is generating I'm really curious. Even tho I already know I will suck

Nate Grey
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
heh thanks

see I didnt reealize it was that huge because none of my friends use to play it, but seeing how much hype GH3 is generating I'm really curious. Even tho I already know I will suck

The learning curve isn't huge if you start on easy. If you keep at it you'll be at medium in no time. My problme is I got complacent at medium and wound up just playing my favorite songs when I realized, hey, move up to hard already.

As for the popularity, I'm *guessing* its a combination of these two things:
1) the thrill of "playing" your favorite song, or at least songs you've heard before
2) star power. While "playing" your song, use star power and the crowd (the digital fake crowd :D) goes nuts, making the thrill that much better.

What I thought was weird was when the first GH came out, some folks were saying "Why its nothing like real guitar!" and I was like, "...duh?" I mean it never said it was JUST like it, but it did fuel my desire to learn real guitar (which comes to find out is a common "side effect"). Real guitar isn't easy or anything like guitar hero, but damn its fun and I loved learning it. I'm not good enough to join a band or nothing (yet ;)), but I can play "Hey There Delilah." :D

Small tangent, but give it a try. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

StoneGold
10-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm waiting for Rock Band. I played both at E For All, and the added instruments and the ability to "play" in a "band" with friends is friggin' awesome. Besides, all the instruments are supposed to be compatible, so I'll probably pick up a copy of GHIII sans guitar at some point. Because I like the song list, but Rock Band is just offering a lot more overall game.

Nate Grey
10-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm waiting for Rock Band. I played both at E For All, and the added instruments and the ability to "play" in a "band" with friends is friggin' awesome. Besides, all the instruments are supposed to be compatible, so I'll probably pick up a copy of GHIII sans guitar at some point. Because I like the song list, but Rock Band is just offering a lot more overall game.

Oooh, I forgot about Rock Band. I'm definately getting that, IF its for the PS2 (haven't looked into it much, been all about GH3 lately :D). I do like the idea of Rock Band for the same reason you just mentioned. If its just on the next gen consoles, well, pops has a 360 and X-Box live, so, guess I know what to get him for Christmas. ;)

StoneGold
10-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Oooh, I forgot about Rock Band. I'm definately getting that, IF its for the PS2 (haven't looked into it much, been all about GH3 lately :D). I do like the idea of Rock Band for the same reason you just mentioned. If its just on the next gen consoles, well, pops has a 360 and X-Box live, so, guess I know what to get him for Christmas. ;)

I believe it is all consoles. But Rock Band on a last gen system is even more neutered than GHIII. Apart from the neutered online play, you don't get the DLC songs. Because Rock Band seems to be making good on the DLC promises GHII on 360 made. They're talking about at least a new song every week, sometimes more. Granted, you half to pay, but I wouldn't mind blowing a buck or two on a song here and there.

Thorlief
10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
I have RB preordered since it's been available for preorder. Drum set, of course

StoneGold
10-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I have RB preordered since it's been available for preorder. Drum set, of course

You mean the whole thing, don't you? Individual peripherals aren't being sold until next year. You buy it before January, you have to buy a mic and a guitar, also.

Thorlief
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
dude there's no way I'm buying RB before January, there are like 30 big games coming out I'd love to play until xmas.

even though I'll probably end up playing Galaxy til March

Nate Grey
10-30-2007, 10:16 AM
There's a new Guitar Hero 1 & 2 Dual Pack coming out soon. Does anyone know if there's any differences at all between the individual games and this one?

Anyway, anyone ever play GH3 (or any of the GHs for that matter) for so long, staring at the TV for so long, that when you look away, there's like a ripple effect? Is that vertigo? Like being in the Matrix or something.

Shades0077
10-31-2007, 06:30 PM
There's a new Guitar Hero 1 & 2 Dual Pack coming out soon. Does anyone know if there's any differences at all between the individual games and this one?

Anyway, anyone ever play GH3 (or any of the GHs for that matter) for so long, staring at the TV for so long, that when you look away, there's like a ripple effect? Is that vertigo? Like being in the Matrix or something.

I've experienced that effect too. It's really trippy. Your eyes get so accustomed to movement coming toward you from the notes flowing past that they keep processing your vision like that. My DVDs are next to my TV, and when I look at them after playing GH, they seem to melt in the middle.

Nate Grey
10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I've experienced that effect too. It's really trippy. Your eyes get so accustomed to movement coming toward you from the notes flowing past that they keep processing your vision like that. My DVDs are next to my TV, and when I look at them after playing GH, they seem to melt in the middle.

lol good, thought it was just me. Its like when I look away, everything decides to go "grow" back to the correct size. Its weird and brief, but wow.

See, another reason to play the Guitar Hero series: the effect of eating mushrooms without eating mushrooms. :D

Chiasm
10-31-2007, 07:17 PM
The learning curve isn't huge if you start on easy. If you keep at it you'll be at medium in no time. My problme is I got complacent at medium and wound up just playing my favorite songs when I realized, hey, move up to hard already.

For me going from medium to hard is like going from 5th grade math to college level calculus. Its hard enough that they add another fret button into the mix but they also speed it all up. IMO Hard should be the same speed with the just extra fret button so you can get used to it. Then speed up expert if you want.

The problem for me is that my pinkie finger is my weak finger and by starting on easy I got accustomed to using my strong three fingers on the right most buttons. Now I have to try and unlearn all that and its difficult, especially at the warp speed that is hard.

Still a gun game and I'll probably be getting III one of these days.

Nate Grey
11-01-2007, 12:40 AM
For me going from medium to hard is like going from 5th grade math to college level calculus. Its hard enough that they add another fret button into the mix but they also speed it all up. IMO Hard should be the same speed with the just extra fret button so you can get used to it. Then speed up expert if you want.

The problem for me is that my pinkie finger is my weak finger and by starting on easy I got accustomed to using my strong three fingers on the right most buttons. Now I have to try and unlearn all that and its difficult, especially at the warp speed that is hard.

Still a [great] game and I'll probably be getting III one of these days.

I played Guitar Hero I when it came out, to death, over a friend's house. It was THE party game. But I couldn't get the "mystery" of the orange button. By the time Guitar Hero II came out, or was coming out (I forget the exact order in this scenario), I decided I'm going to finally get a PS2 so I can play it on my own, whenever I felt like it. Ironically around that time my interest in playing REAL guitar was piqued. So I got GH2, still avoided hard and expert like the plague, then slowly started playing it less to focus on real guitar (I signed up for a three month beginner class at the local community college). Some of the notes require you reaching your pinky finger all the way over, so I got used to that and the stretching.

Fast forward to now. The mystery of the orange button is no more: sometimes you move your pinky finger over, sometimes you shift (move your whole hand down so your index rests on red button), and sometimes BOTH. It depends and take practice, but that's it in the a nutshell. Yeah the speed is annoying, but I'm glad they added practice in part 2 and beyond. What really annoys me is some chords are, for instance: green, yellow and orange simultaneous then quickly switch to playing red, blue, and orange and back again. Argh! But to me that's the fun of it, figuring it out, learning how to do it. The Guitar Hero series' replay value is ridiculously high because of this, IMO.

Chiasm
11-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Watching this kid play GH blows me away every time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgIP7XW1lXM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3yEjyuw42YY

You can hear or see him make some mistakes now and then but its still amazing.

Nate Grey
11-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Watching this kid play GH blows me away every time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgIP7XW1lXM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3yEjyuw42YY

You can hear or see him make some mistakes now and then but its still amazing.

That 8 year old ripped it on Dead!. I loved how he turned to the camera at certain points while playing on expert. He definately has parts of the game committed to memory.

Some of those comments, though...I guess people will truly say anything on the net where they'd face no consequences or have to back anything up.

For instance, someone said, "Who cares, its a game, my cat can play it!" Really? Your cat can play Guitar Hero on Expert? Then you need to put him/her on youtube so we can see that.

ImpulseUCF
11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
FFS!!! Has anyone else gotten to the battle with Lou? WTF!!! DAMN. that will take me a while. Had to vent.

Basara
11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
FFS!!! Has anyone else gotten to the battle with Lou? WTF!!! DAMN. that will take me a while. Had to vent.

Yep. Beaten him on Easy, Medium, and Hard. Haven't been able to scale the last two sets on Expert yet to face him again and own my golden guitar.

It is an insane battle though. I love it!

Chiasm
11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
So I bought GH III a week or so ago. Made it through medium without much difficulty. Five starred most of the songs. It took me a couple of tries to beat Slash but beat Lou first try.

I've yet to beat a single song on Hard but I've only tried two or three times. The orange fret button just kills me.

asloveislost
11-13-2007, 02:14 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RaTdBLQ5t8Q

Alex
11-13-2007, 07:58 AM
I just can't do expert.
I found that, since i actually kinda play guitar, easy is just as hard though.
Have some innate desire to hit the notes they skip.

ImpulseUCF
11-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I just can't do expert.
I found that, since i actually kinda play guitar, easy is just as hard though.
Have some innate desire to hit the notes they skip.My problem with GH as a fellow guitar player is that adapting the song for the game sometimes flagrantly contradicts how you would actually play it on a guitar, so since my brain defaults to how you would play it for real, I find the game extremely counterintuitive on expert and easy difficulties. I generally play on hard for fun as it is the best balance of having a difficulty tier and is reasonably consistent with the actual progression and patterns on the guitar.

Still, the last tier of songs is still a little hard because they have to arbitrarily increase the difficult for the game even if it makes the songs more complicated than it should be. Like, Before I forget by Slipknot? Waaaay harder in GH than it would be for real.

jesse_custer
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Yeah, there's no way some of these songs are that hard to play on the real guitar.

I think the graphics on this game are a step down from the last. Too small, too dark.

Nate Grey
11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Ironically, or maybe just for me, the more I learned real guitar, the more callouses I developed (which you need of course), the harder it is to feel the fret buttons. lol

Hard, IMO, is doable, its just a learning curve to get the hang of it. But yeah, I think Expert is near impossible. But I guess if I get the hang of hard first it'll be easier, I don't know. I can do certain songs on Hard (love playing "The Warrior" on Encore on Hard, for instance), and I think the only song I managed not to fail on Expert is Heart-Shaped Box.

Again, it may just be me, but why is it easier to do hammer ons and pull offs on real guitar but, I guess, confusing to do it on Guitar Hero?

Nate Grey
11-13-2007, 09:08 AM
My problem with GH as a fellow guitar player is that adapting the song for the game sometimes flagrantly contradicts how you would actually play it on a guitar, so since my brain defaults to how you would play it for real, I find the game extremely counterintuitive on expert and easy difficulties. I generally play on hard for fun as it is the best balance of having a difficulty tier and is reasonably consistent with the actual progression and patterns on the guitar.

Still, the last tier of songs is still a little hard because they have to arbitrarily increase the difficult for the game even if it makes the songs more complicated than it should be. Like, Before I forget by Slipknot? Waaaay harder in GH than it would be for real.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of the real artists for the songs on the first game (not sure about the second or Encore) say themselves playing the GH version is harder than real thing?

Shellhead
11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
They had Guitar Hero III at this party I went to last weekend, so the music at the party was all Guitar Hero, with lots of people taking turns playing. This was my first experience with the game, as my taste in games runs more towards shooting and stabbing. I enjoyed the music, even some of the bastardized versions of the originals, but didn't bother playing. It seemed like the whole game was a big missed opportunity... they could have made a game that actually teaches people how to play guitar.

StoneGold
11-13-2007, 01:43 PM
They had Guitar Hero III at this party I went to last weekend, so the music at the party was all Guitar Hero, with lots of people taking turns playing. This was my first experience with the game, as my taste in games runs more towards shooting and stabbing. I enjoyed the music, even some of the bastardized versions of the originals, but didn't bother playing. It seemed like the whole game was a big missed opportunity... they could have made a game that actually teaches people how to play guitar.

That would take an actual guitar, though. And serious effort. This is less about learning how to play, more like feeling like a rock star. It's like bitching that Madden doesn't actually teach you how to play football, or Halo how to kill aliens.

asloveislost
11-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Have some innate desire to hit the notes they skip.

haha exactly the same for me, ive been playing guitar for 7 years and with GH i stuff up on stupid parts just because i have a habit of wanting to do all the little fillers they skip on easy difficulty.
I haven't actually got the game so i haven't been able to go further than easy songs.
Most of the songs though are much easier to play on real guitar than on expert mode.
exception of songs that have heavy lead soloing parts. (im not too good at lead guitar)

twilight
11-14-2007, 02:53 AM
I really wanna know what the design process for the lead singer was.

"What do people like about rock stars?"
"....giant chins?"

-Twi

Agent Helix
11-14-2007, 04:56 AM
I really wanna know what the design process for the lead singer was.

"What do people like about rock stars?"
"....giant chins?"

-Twi

"People still like sharks and muppets, right? Let's combine those."

The person that came up with the idea for boss battles in this game should be shot. They may as well have just had you and the console flip coins to see if you progress past them or not, as its based entirely on random luck, with zero skill involved.

twilight
11-14-2007, 05:13 AM
They get points for including "The Seeker" though.

-Twi

Agent Helix
11-14-2007, 05:16 AM
The song list is pretty strong, though I do miss some of the more oddball (read: 'Not obvious popular hard rock') choices of tracks. There's too many annoyances in 3 to make me want to buy it. The lousy character designs, the retardedly easy HO-POs, the awful, AWFUL boss battle mechanics, and a general feeling of stagnation from the franchise. Rock Band, from what little I've played from the demo, seems a lot more fun, and I like that songlist better anyhow.

Nate Grey
11-14-2007, 05:32 AM
"People still like sharks and muppets, right? Let's combine those."

The person that came up with the idea for boss battles in this game should be shot. They may as well have just had you and the console flip coins to see if you progress past them or not, as its based entirely on random luck, with zero skill involved.

Actually, there's a pattern that can be figured out that works on all the bosses. The same pattern, in fact. Which, in my mind, makes the the boss battles useless. Now I can see you using them on quickplay competition, that would be fun.

Agent Helix
11-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Actually, there's a pattern that can be figured out that works on all the bosses. The same pattern, in fact. Which, in my mind, makes the the boss battles useless. Now I can see you using them on quickplay competition, that would be fun.

Seems to me the pattern is "Get a good powerup and win, get a bad powerup and lose". I can't believe the Lefty Flip powerup made it through the design process at all. They may as well have just made an ability where the guitar itself spontaneously combusts in your hands, and then you get kicked in the balls.

Nate Grey
11-14-2007, 06:07 AM
They may as well have just made an ability where the guitar itself spontaneously combusts in your hands, and then you get kicked in the balls.

lol that would be one of those its funny when it happens to someone else but not me scenario. Cause if I was watching you play and that "powerup" happened, I'd be laughing for 15 minutes straight.

No, the pattern is simple: save up YOUR powerups (doesn't even matter which powerups), and only use them on two occasions: 1) when the boss is about to get HIS powerup, and 2) when he has a long solo (this seems to prevent death drain).

Agent Helix
11-14-2007, 06:09 AM
No, the pattern is simple: save up YOUR powerups (doesn't even matter which powerups), and only use them on two occasions: 1) when the boss is about to get HIS powerup, and 2) when he has a long solo (this seems to prevent death drain).

So, regardless, it takes the actual skill out of the game, and makes it into a "who gets the better powerup first" nonsense. Yeah, thanks Neversoft. I really wanted to play Guitario Kart.

Nate Grey
11-14-2007, 06:19 AM
So, regardless, it takes the actual skill out of the game, and makes it into a "who gets the better powerup first" nonsense. Yeah, thanks Neversoft. I really wanted to play Guitario Kart.

But see that's just it, its not even who gets the better powerup, its who uses their powerup when. I keep going back and playing against Lou and Slash, so its not a one-time thing, that's THE pattern. And you're right, it takes the skill right out of the game. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't required, but since it is, kind of a misstep. I think The Devil Went Down To Georgia as a final, non-battle song would have been fine enough. Damn sure long enough.

Let's hope this isn't in Guitar Hero 4 and beyond. Its one of the few things I hate about part 3 (and Midori, though she's cute).

Agent Helix
11-14-2007, 06:24 AM
The character redesigns are universally awful for the game, as are the animations. I know graphics for this sort of thing are secondary, but it was nice in the first two games that each character had really neat, character specific animations when you activated Star Power. Now they just stand there and sorta hop around a little while fruity symbols float from their guitar. Ooh, the punk guy has anarchy symbols. Ooh, the Hendrix guy has peace symbols. Whoopee.

If the game itself were less mediocre, I could forgive that, but there's just so much that Neversoft got wrong, from randomly placed note charts (Rock You Like a Hurricane is a major offender), to grievous errors like songs that can only be played in certain game modes.

Nate Grey
11-14-2007, 06:36 AM
The character redesigns are universally awful for the game, as are the animations. I know graphics for this sort of thing are secondary, but it was nice in the first two games that each character had really neat, character specific animations when you activated Star Power. Now they just stand there and sorta hop around a little while fruity symbols float from their guitar. Ooh, the punk guy has anarchy symbols. Ooh, the Hendrix guy has peace symbols. Whoopee.

If the game itself were less mediocre, I could forgive that, but there's just so much that Neversoft got wrong, from randomly placed note charts (Rock You Like a Hurricane is a major offender), to grievous errors like songs that can only be played in certain game modes.

I agree with everything you say, though I wouldn't call it mediocre, just a slight notce below the previous games, even Encore. I hate they took away the animation for when you activate star power. The new one is just...eh.

Right about the mode-specific songs. Dammit, I don't always have a second person to play GH with! :mad:

And why get rid of Pandora? I keep reading they merged her "features" into Judy Nails but I don't see it.

I got the PS2 version, so no online play, Death, or God of Rock, but I do have that robot and Elvis analogue. :rolleyes: I just play as Slash.

Agent Helix
11-14-2007, 06:38 AM
I think they bunched Pandora up and just shoved her inside Judy Nails' tits, because those things are enormous now.

As for Slash being there (and, mysteriously, Tom Morello and Bret Michaels), it sort of misses the point of Guitar Hero. What gave the franchise appeal wasn't that it was an accurate simulation of playing the guitar, it was that it gave the player the feeling that they were creating the music that was being played, however false that may actually be. But by shoving real guitarists in there (and if Morello and Michaels aren't in there solely as part of some licensing deal, I'll eat my hat), they just remind most people "Oh yeah, you don't actually play guitar. Here's a real guitar player."

Plus, once again, Tom Morello and Bret Michaels in a game called "Legends of Rock". That's a dubious claim.

Nate Grey
11-14-2007, 07:01 AM
As for Slash being there (and, mysteriously, Tom Morello and Bret Michaels), it sort of misses the point of Guitar Hero. What gave the franchise appeal wasn't that it was an accurate simulation of playing the guitar, it was that it gave the player the feeling that they were creating the music that was being played, however false that may actually be. But by shoving real guitarists in there (and if Morello and Michaels aren't in there solely as part of some licensing deal, I'll eat my hat), they just remind most people "Oh yeah, you don't actually play guitar. Here's a real guitar player."

I can honestly say I never thought of it that way. Good point.

Plus, once again, Tom Morello and Bret Michaels in a game called "Legends of Rock". That's a dubious claim.

I had no idea who Tom Morello was before the game, but maybe that was just me. As for Bret, I thought they were just using his likeness for the lead singer in the PS3 and 360 versions? In other words, its not really supposed to be Bret himself, just...Bret-ish? lol

In any case, I will go as far to say Slash would qualify, which is why he's featured prominently on the cover, commercials, posters, T-shirt, and whatever else I'm missing.

Agent Helix
11-14-2007, 07:08 AM
No, there's a Poison track in the game where Bret Michaels IS the singer, and it's freaking weird.

ImpulseUCF
11-16-2007, 06:42 AM
If the game itself were less mediocre, I could forgive that, but there's just so much that Neversoft got wrong, from randomly placed note charts (Rock You Like a Hurricane is a major offender), to grievous errors like songs that can only be played in certain game modes.To be fair, every GH game has had at least a couple songs where the note charts are completely absurd and unrealistic, especially for guitar players. I understand it's a game and not a guitar sim, but my GOD, some of the transcriptions are awful and completely counterintuitive and making playing the song 10 times harder tha n it would be IRL.

The worst offenders of the top of my head are:

GH1
- Fat Lip by Sum 41 - WAY harder than it should be
- Cochise by Audioslave - this one is so awful as to nearly ruin the song for me

GH2...I can't remember any off the top of my head, but this is my least favorite GH game of the main 3. Poorest song choice IMO.

GH3
- Before I Forget by Slipknot - MIND-BLOWINGLY more difficult than it should be
- Same Old Song and Dance by Aerosmith
Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins - WTF is up with those 3-button chord?? LOL, the human hand is not meant to contort like that

I never picked up Encore because I thought $50 for a half-assed filler game was a complete rip off, but I'm sure it happened there. As I said, I get that it's a game, but the note charts for a lot of those songs just doesn't even feel right, you know? Ah, well.

And I was HUGELY disappointed with the cover of Black Sunshine by White Zombie. What a badass song with such a crappy cover!

EmeraldOutlaw
11-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Just wondering if there's a way to get Devil Went Down to Georgia outside of battling Lou again. Unless I'm not looking hard enough, but I swear it wasn't in the casual play list after beating the game (on easy...my first time with GH :p ).

Astonishing X-Fan
11-17-2007, 09:24 AM
If you have a 360, the battles are free downloadable content right now.

EmeraldOutlaw
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah I just found them. Very cool.

asloveislost
11-17-2007, 08:33 PM

Tom Morello is in the game probably because he has a really unique style of playing the guitar.
His sounds, techniques, and soloing are extremely good and he has been an highly recognised guitarist since the rise of Rage Against the Machine in the early 90s.

dawsey28
02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
I HATE that Slayer song. I hate trying to play it anyway.