PDA

View Full Version : Who is the superior ruler: Black Panther or Magneto

Jake V
09-29-2007, 12:10 AM
As seen in the House of M, Magneto would be practically the ruler of the world if mutants were a majority. If not for M-day, and mutant births continued to rise at their former rate, it would be obvious that Magneto should rule this former minority, and the world as well.

But of course that didn't happen. His reality warping daughter reduced mutants to a few hundred, and his kingdom lies in ruins. But for a brief, shining moment, Magneto was the ruler of a worldwide utopia. Second to him were our reality's rulers: Namor, Black Panther, and Doctor Doom. Namor was content to rule atlantis, but Black Panther and Doom were merely human, and therefore second class citizens. Of the two humans, Doom never really ruled over anything that could be called a utopia, so that leaves Black Panther.

In "our" reality, Black Panther has ruled over a utopian society quite effectively for a very long time. While it's been quite peaceful, it has never been too accepting of outsiders. By contrast, any of Magneto's attempts at a utopian society have been more than accepting of outsiders, provided they were homo superior.

So who was/is the better ruler? Magneto wins as long as his daughter is pulling reality's strings. Black Panther wins in reality mostly because outsiders have left Wakanda alone.

So all things being equal, who is the better benevolent ruler?

Cayman
09-29-2007, 12:21 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/seattlecayman/200px-DragonMan2.gif

Karl H
09-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Black Panther would be as nothing were it not for his maficent, glorious, Queen Storm. It is Queen Storm of Wakanda who's beauty is only matched by her benign magnificence that is the truly greater leader.

In reality the greatest leader is obviously Captain Britain. Lets not let the Excalibettes not get involved in this thread, Magneto and Panther suck balls.

Alan2099
09-29-2007, 07:18 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/seattlecayman/200px-DragonMan2.gif

bah. Everyone knows you can't trust Dragonman. ;)

Magneto X
09-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Both have ruled a minority population that was afraid of being taken over by jealous members of the majority. Both demonstrated their power to keep the majority at bay. But Magneto's the only one who has dominated the majority and subjugated them under his people and his rule, so I suppose he's done more. Black Panther is still in Magneto's Savage Land or Avalon stage.

Omar Karindu
09-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Alternatively, we could look at which of the two managed to keep his country and most of its population from being blown up by enemies from outside.

Michael P
09-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Seeing as how Black Panther's actually managed to keep a country together for longer than five minutes (and without resorting to secret police and stormtrooper robots), I'd say him.

Michael P
09-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Both have ruled a minority population that was afraid of being taken over by jealous members of the majority. Both demonstrated their power to keep the majority at bay. But Magneto's the only one who has dominated the majority and subjugated them under his people and his rule, so I suppose he's done more. Black Panther is still in Magneto's Savage Land or Avalon stage.

Um, in Wakanda, Panther's people *are* the majority.

Gingold
09-29-2007, 12:01 PM
I'd go with the non-insane non-terrorist. But that's just me.

stealthwise
09-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Doctor Doom.

Capt USA
10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
as far as leading is concerned, it's not really that close. Magneto cannot lead a country, he can subjagate an area for a while, but leading is not in his blood. Panther is a fantastic leader, understanding politics on a level that Magneto could never approach, understanding people(regardless of mutant/non-mutant) heck Wakanda is about as close to a utopia as there is in marvel comics.

Alan2099
10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Seeing as how Black Panther's actually managed to keep a country together for longer than five minutes (and without resorting to secret police and stormtrooper robots), I'd say him.

That's unfair. How often do you see giant Black hunting robots?

Omar Karindu
10-02-2007, 02:32 PM
That's unfair. How often do you see giant Black hunting robots?

I dunno about "giant," but we've certainly seen everything sent against Wakanda from a team of white bigots with superpowers (The Supremacists in BP miniseries #1-4), necro-cyborg Deathlok units with U.S. backing (Hudlin-Panther #1-6), mercenary armies (Fantastic Four v.1 #52; FF Unlimited #1, et al.), the armies of Atlantis (Defenders v.1 #84-6), and a literal army of superhuman rebels (Jungle Action #6-17).

Wakanda, and the Panther, endure.

Magneto? He was outmaneuvered and attacked by a small squad of mutants who left him in a wheelchair...and then had his country blown up by big metal robots.

He sucks at running a country. Which explains, in large part, why he didn't have one for all that long.

Sean Whitmore
10-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Find it hard to argue with that.

SEAN

yo go re
10-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Silver Sable

entzauberung
10-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Dr Doom. Latveria IS an utopia.

Michael P
10-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Dr Doom. Latveria IS a utopia.

Except for the part where the dictator sends his unstoppable robots after you if you look at him funny.

Or how, if you make a scientific discovery, he'll come for you in the middle of the night, take you to his castle, put it and you in a room, tell you to adapt it according to his designs, and kill you if you fail. Don't even bother asking what happens if you refuse; you won't.

Oh, and the majority of your taxes goes to projects to kill four people you've never met, who live on another continent.

Magneto X
10-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Um, in Wakanda, Panther's people *are* the majority.

And in Genosha Magneto's people were the majority. But both countries have a history of being threatened with outside domination.

Sean Whitmore
10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Dr Doom. Latveria IS an utopia.

By 18th century standards, sure.

SEAN

Pól Rua
10-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Sounds good to me.
Yeah, I'll take the benevolent ruler of the technological utopia over the murderous fanatic who wants to ethnically cleanse the human race of anyone who can't talk to sandpaper or set things on fire with their mind.

SUPERECWFAN1
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Black Panther would be as nothing were it not for his maficent, glorious, Queen Storm. It is Queen Storm of Wakanda who's beauty is only matched by her benign magnificence that is the truly greater leader.

In reality the greatest leader is obviously Captain Britain. Lets not let the Excalibettes not get involved in this thread, Magneto and Panther suck balls.

HEH.....

I do think Dr.Doom has managed to control and rule Lavitera longer than anyone could imagine. He loses to Reed Richards countless times....but the guy had an edge on Black Panther and Magneto. And hell... why is Mag's even on this list. Its like he got control of Genosha for a day and wrecked it. :p

Michael P
10-04-2007, 06:19 PM
And in Genosha Magneto's people were the majority. But both countries have a history of being threatened with outside domination.

None of that makes what you said factually accurate.

Pól Rua
10-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Speaking as a Captain Britain fan, I have to say... Really? The selfish, doubt-riddled, self-pitying drunkard?
And I'm saying that as a fan?

Sean Whitmore
10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Speaking as a Captain Britain fan, I have to say... Really? The selfish, doubt-riddled, self-pitying drunkard?
And I'm saying that as a fan?

He's got nice hair, though. That's one up on Doom and the Panther.

SEAN

Magneto X
10-04-2007, 07:08 PM
None of that makes what you said factually accurate.

What? That both have ruled a minority population and had too keep threats of majority invaders at bay? Factually accurate my tookus, you can understand what that means.

Michael P
10-04-2007, 07:10 PM
What? That both have ruled a minority population and had too keep threats of majority invaders at bay? Factually accurate my tookus, you can understand what that means.

Defining "majority" and "minority" as you do (i.e., incorrectly), you can say the same thing about every wartime US President.

And then there's the minor matter of Magneto never having actually beaten anyone without his daughter rewriting reality to insert his victory into history. That's what golfers call a "mulligan."

The official tote board goes:

Panther: Prosperous, happy, unified nation
Magneto: Entire populace wiped out by bug robots

Sean Whitmore
10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Tuchus, by the way.

If you're gonna bring the Yiddish, go all the way.

SEAN

Magneto X
10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
תחת tokhes

Hatut Zeraze
10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Is there any real question to consider here?

Doesn't being a giant douchebag automatically disqualify Magneto?

Magneto X
10-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Is there any real question to consider here?

Doesn't being a giant douchebag automatically disqualify Magneto?

Ha, ha, ha! No. All heads of state are douchebags.

Hatut Zeraze
10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Ha, ha, ha! No. All heads of state are douchebags.

Touche, Magneto X, Touche.

Hulkamaniac
10-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Black Panther hands down. He still has a nation to rule. Mags doesn't, whether its "make believe" (House of M) or "real" (Genosha). Panther has a waaaaaay better track record than Mags on the ruler bit.

Aaron Kashtan
10-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Oh, and the majority of your taxes goes to projects to kill four people you've never met, who live on another continent.

Unlike the decadent Western nations, Latveria has no taxes. Doom has no need to ruin his subjects' livelihood in order to financially support himself. On the other hand, if his subjects spontaneously decide to offer monetary gifts to Doom, to thank him for working selflessly and tirelessly for them, then it would be boorish of Doom to refuse such gifts.

And as we all know, those four people on another continent are the greatest enemies of Latveria. If Doom allowed them to carry out their nefarious schemes unchecked, the peace and stability of the Latverian people would vanish in an instant. Therefore, the people of Latveria are sincerely grateful for Doom's unceasing efforts to destroy the devil Richards and his family.