PDA

View Full Version : Which Filipino artist made the biggest impact in Marvel?

blinkinrogue
08-14-2007, 07:07 AM
as a Filipino, I am proud that more filipino artists are working for marvel as well as for other comic companies. which artist do you think made the biggest impact/had the most solid artwork in marvel, both past and present.

streator
08-14-2007, 07:29 AM
i would have to say portacio's had the most impact, but yu is my favorite of the bunch.

i think yu has surpassed portacio in terms of output at marvel but i'm not entirely sure about that.

blinkinrogue
08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
i agree, though i must say i kinda liked portacio's work in xman. lately, im digging carlo's work. i hope expletive can fix my thread and turn it into a poll.

Expletive Deleted
08-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Portacio probably had the biggest impact, but Pagulayan is probably my favorite of the bunch.

Scott Evil
08-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Kamusta pare!

Anyways, since you asked about 'impact', I think I'd have to go w/ Mr. Portacio. He's kinda the benchmark for up and coming Filipino/Filipino-American artists in Marvel, and helped advance the industry w/ Image and all in the 90's. So over-all, he's kind of a big deal.

However, I am definitely loving Yu's body of work so far. I'm loving his current Avengers run (I, for one, was happy to hear he got the job), his aborted run on "Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine (I blame the writer!) and LOVED his work on Birthright. I got the TPB and showed it off to whomever would listen and said '..yeah, the dude's pinoy. You can tell by the random Chow King reference' :D

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/Leahcim_1983/Comic_Characters_1/f_UltimateHulm_7edebb8-1.jpg

Dan B. in the Underworld
08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Since you mentioned "both past and present," I'll confess that while none of the names you cited mean anything to me, having bought more than my share of comics back during the Bronze Age my intitial thoughts were more along the lines of Tony DeZuniga, Rudy Nebres, Alfredo Alcala, Ernie Chan & Alex Nino.

the Hornet
08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
isn't Billy Tan Malaysian chinese?

Will.S
08-14-2007, 09:44 PM
....Ernie Chan....
I only have one issue of Thor that has his art but man he was great.

Out of that list while I think Whilce definitely had the most impact and he (along with Travis Charest) has directly influenced Leinil Yu, I like Leinil's art more now as it's become much better than Whilce's IMO. So far Yu is making his mark so he'll overtake Whilce soon enough.

Carlo is great too btw.

seeso
08-14-2007, 10:42 PM
What up Pinoys?!?!? Gotta give to Portacio. I had no idea that Yu was Filipino...

Mabuhay!

g-dawg
08-15-2007, 02:09 AM
While I don't deny the impact of Chan or Alcala in the industry, I think its safe to say that while they made their own mark in the comics business, Whilce Portacio definitely brought the Filipino (and the Philippines) into the world spotlight. IIRC, he paved the way for FIlipino artists and writers to work in the comic industry, where during the height of the late 90's, Filipino comic book artists were hot items. They got people talking about who the next hot Filipino artist was in X-Men or Wolverine. I believe this would not have happened at this degree if it weren't for Portacio.

Although I could be wrong, as I only met Whilce and got to talk to him only once. But he's a great guy.

blinkinrogue
08-15-2007, 04:55 AM
yes it's true whilce is a really nice guy.... but in terms of artwork i really appreciate carlo's pencils.

rick
08-15-2007, 05:19 AM
Great talent all around, but the Filipino artists who made the biggest impact on Marvel comics are the classics guys like Alex Nino, Pablo Marcos, Alfredo Alcala, Ernie Chan, Nestor Redondo, Romeo Tanghal and most importantly, Tony DeZuñiga, who first introduced American publishers to the huge pool of talent living in the Philippines and then proceeded to get them work way back in the mid-1970's.

Roquefort Raider
08-15-2007, 05:27 AM
As far as I'm concerned Alcala is not merely an influential comic-book artist, he's a comic-book god.

Aaron Kashtan
08-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Hmmm. Alcala, Nino and Redondo were the leading Filipino artists of their time, but they mostly worked for DC, didn't they? Offhand, I was unable to think of anything the latter two had done at Marvel, although Google informs me that Nino and Redondo both did work at Marvel.

So my answer would be Ernie Chan, who was an important member of the first wave of Filipino cartoonists, and had a long and successful stint as inker on Conan.

Tony DeZuniga is also a good choice, since as Rick said, he was primarily responsible for that "Filipino invasion." However, he was also notorious for allegedly exploiting his fellow artists.

Just as a nitpicky correction, Pablo Marcos is Peruvian, not Filipino.

blinkinrogue
08-15-2007, 07:30 AM
again, im sorry if i didnt include others in the poll, i am not very used to making polls but thanks for the information about ernie chan and company.

g-dawg
08-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Great talent all around, but the Filipino artists who made the biggest impact on Marvel comics are the classics guys like Alex Nino, Pablo Marcos, Alfredo Alcala, Ernie Chan, Nestor Redondo, Romeo Tanghal and most importantly, Tony DeZuņiga, who first introduced American publishers to the huge pool of talent living in the Philippines and then proceeded to get them work way back in the mid-1970's.

wow...you DO learn something new everyday.

Thank you, rick for enlightening me on the people who DID introduce the Filipino artist pool to American comics. While their names are absolutely lost to me (i just sorta got into comics during whilce's time), at least I got my history right. Tells you how much I know.

Wonder why I didn't hear that much from them, though? Is that the difference between him and Whilce? During Whilce's time, fellow Filipinos in the comic book business was a very big deal.

kalorama
08-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Since you mentioned "both past and present," I'll confess that while none of the names you cited mean anything to me, having bought more than my share of comics back during the Bronze Age my intitial thoughts were more along the lines of Tony DeZuniga, Rudy Nebres, Alfredo Alcala, Ernie Chan & Alex Nino.

You took the words right out of my mouth. During the late 70s and 80s, DeZuniga, Alcala, and Nebres were among the top inkers in comics, working on a lot of high profile books, including Conan, Batman, and Spider-man, Swamp Thing. They also did a lot of penciling, most notably for Marvel's black and white magazine line. (I was especially fond of Nebres' work on Iron Fist in Deadly Hands of King Fu.)

Those guys opened the doors for Yu and Portacio to later stepped through.

zuludelta
08-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I'll go with Alex Niņo, Tony DeZuņiga, Alfredo Alcala, and Nestor Redondo as some of the best of the early wave of Filipino illustrators working in American comics (mind you, I think they were all good, but these four, I think had the highest profile back in the day).

As for the more recent Filipino artists, I definitely have to go with Whilce Portacio as the most influential. While I haven't really liked his work since I was around 15 or so, there's no denying his influence on other artists and in the industry. I mean come on, he was one of the seven original founders of Image Comics! Still, I don't think he has that much in common with Redondo and company in terms of style and ability. Portacio practically learned from the American comic book tradition and it shows in his work, whereas the earlier artists (with the exception of Niņo, I think) all came from a Filipino "komiks" background where the art was rooted in much more classic illustration (Alcala's early work puts one in mind of 19th century woodcut engravings, even).

agrich
08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
So my answer would be Ernie Chan, who was an important member of the first wave of Filipino cartoonists, and had a long and successful stint as inker on Conan.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, Ernie Chan was also great inking Sal Buscema's pencils on the Hulk for a little while in the early 200s. Probably my favorite stretch of Buscema's artwork was finished by Chan.

kalorama
08-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I'll go with Alex Niño, Tony DeZuñiga, Alfredo Alcala, and Nestor Redondo as some of the best of the early wave of Filipino illustrators working in American comics (mind you, I think they were all good, but these four, I think had the highest profile back in the day).

If we're just talking recognition, I think Nebres and Chan were probably more prominent than Redondo and Niño, by virtue of working on more well-known, mainstream books for Marvel and having a higher overall output (although Redondo and Nino were both superior artists to Chan).

Citizen V
08-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Whilce Portacio,it takes me back to Bishop and Uncanny X-Men in the early 1990`s.

sabongero
08-17-2007, 06:52 PM
What the ? Holy Cow !

There are really that many Filipino artists working in mainstream American comic books ? That is a cool bit of information to know. It is very enlightening. Great job guys.

aut0matic
08-18-2007, 12:12 PM
personally, yu's style doesn't do it for me.. his art is too sketchy, and at times it is hard to recognize some of the characters. pagulayan's one of my favorite artists period, i think his rendition of hulk is one of the best ever and i couldn't imagine planet hulk drawn by anyone else. does anyone know if he did any other work for marvel?

zuludelta
08-18-2007, 12:49 PM
pagulayan's one of my favorite artists period, i think his rendition of hulk is one of the best ever and i couldn't imagine planet hulk drawn by anyone else. does anyone know if he did any other work for marvel?

Pagulayan did pencils for the Chuck Austen-penned Elektra series from a few years ago. His work was a bit raw back then, though.

As for Yu, his New Avengers work isn't at all representative of his greater body of work. He's done much tighter linework in Superman: Birthright (http://www.sauna.org/spider/archives/pics/SupermanBirthrightCVR1.jpg), Silent Dragon (http://popcultureshock.com/reviews/4668/4668_1.jpg), and High Roads (http://www.hillcity-comics.com/graphic_novels/new_graphic_novel1572.jpg).

Will.S
08-18-2007, 02:50 PM
As for Yu, his New Avengers work isn't at all representative of his greater body of work. He's done much tighter linework in Superman: Birthright (http://www.sauna.org/spider/archives/pics/SupermanBirthrightCVR1.jpg), Silent Dragon (http://popcultureshock.com/reviews/4668/4668_1.jpg), and High Roads (http://www.hillcity-comics.com/graphic_novels/new_graphic_novel1572.jpg).
I agree, those are great examples of his cleaner artwork which doesn't have the grittier look New Avengers has. I think because it's a monthly Leinil doesn't have as much time to put on finishing touches so it won't look as good as the stuff he does on mini series unless he had a good amount of lead time.

Like I think his first 2 or 3 issues of NA looked great and pretty clean then it got sketchier as it progressed.

Volk1
08-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Adrian Alphona gets my vote. His art on Runaways together with its concept brought a fresh and and modern feeling to comic books that comes only every once in a while.

I really wish he'd get some good work for Marvel if he isn't already.

Maybe he can be the new artist for the new Spider Man Loves Mary Jane series with Terry Moore???

a-spidey
08-19-2007, 06:38 AM
i voted for Yu. His run at NA is amazing.