PDA

View Full Version : Dear Book Publishers,

Athena Bast
07-03-2007, 04:39 PM
For the love of all that is holy, unholy, pagan, celestial, don't eff'n care.

Take out a full page ad or something and tell every GD consumer in CANADA about why book prices are the way they are and why we're not paying the same price as Americans because our dollar is so good now because I am sick and damn tired of explaining it to all these chowderheads who piss and moan at me when I give them a logical answer regardless if it's correct or not.

TELL THEM. Hell, send a replica of the damn thing to all bookstores across Canada for crissakes so we can post it in the damn stores.

I'm sick and tired of all these whiny little customers and prices on books. Book stores don't set the prices, publishers do. There's more than just the exchange rate that goes into the price, goddammit. I'm sick and tired of explaining it to them because the whiny little cows don't have any sense of a rational brain at all so talking to them doesn't do jack shit but make check out lines longer because they want to argue exchange rates.

PLEASE.

Sincerely, your friendly neighbor bookseller.

Roquefort Raider
07-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Take out a full page ad or something and tell every GD consumer in CANADA about why book prices are the way they are and why we're not paying the same price as Americans because our dollar is so good now because I am sick and damn tired of explaining it to all these chowderheads who piss and moan at me when I give them a logical answer regardless if it's correct or not.

I don't blame the booksellers, I blame the publishers. But every explanation I read on the massive price difference between books bought in the US and in Canada made so little sense that I'm not inclined to listen to publishers anymore. "There are more customers in New York than in Montreal, so prices are higher in Montreal..." yeah, right. Then why are books in New York not cheaper than in Hardesty, Oklahoma?

The only good explanation I came across was in Sunday's paper: publishers know that they wouldn't get more customers if they lowered their Canadian prices, so there's no economic reason to let their prices reflect the actual exchange rate. Grrrr !!!

It's actually a pity for the local booksellers, who are caught between the hammer and the anvil. On the one hand they get blamed for the publishers' behaviour, and on the other they lose customers to Amazon.com.

To give an idea to our American friends of what we Canucks are talking about, let's play the comparison game with a book nobody should buy anyway: Marvel comics' "Civil War":

Suggested retail price in the US: US$ 24.99, or CAN$ 26.48

Actual price at Amazon.com: US$ 16.49 or CAN$ 17.47

Suggested retail price in Canada:CAN $ 40.00 !!!

I admit that I deliberately chose that example because it's quite extreme, but there is still a hefty difference between the US and Canadian prices that was warranted by a 40% exchange rate, but hardly by an 8% one.

Granted, some local booksellers might decide to offer a rebate to their customers, but I doubt they have a lot of flexibility in that regard. From what I hear, the profit margin on books for booksellers isn't that great to begin with.

I'm sorry you have to face obnoxious customers, though, Athena. While I understand their being upset, their anger is clearly misplaced.

Pól Rua
07-04-2007, 04:47 AM
To give an idea to our American friends of what we Canucks are talking about, let's play the comparison game with a book nobody should buy anyway: Marvel comics' "Civil War":

Suggested retail price in the US: US$ 24.99, or CAN$ 26.48

Actual price at Amazon.com: US$ 16.49 or CAN$ 17.47

Suggested retail price in Canada:CAN $ 40.00 !!!

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!
I'm work in comics retail in Australia, which involves air-freighting the comics from LA across the Pacific every week. This, along with exchange rates, adds to our costs.
We are charging about AUS$45 bucks for a US$24.99 comic.

And I tell you, I have heard you with customers. It doesn't matter if it's your fault or not. If that customer is the sort to yell at counter staff, they don't care.
You're a shop, so therefore, it's YOUR fault.

Ryan Day
07-04-2007, 07:56 AM
I've seen a couple stores put up signs attempting to explain some of it. They usually go with "due to a variety of other factors", though, which isn't terribly convincing.