PDA

View Full Version : Recs on non-superhero but still hook-based stories

comica
05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm looking for recommendations on comics and graphic novels that are not in the superhero genre but yet still have a high concept element to their plot. In other words, not X-Men but also not Ghostworld (both of which I do like, I'm just looking for something new).

Some examples that come to mind are the Luna Brothers' Girls, Yua Kotegawa's Line, Tag:Cursed (though I'm a bit sick of the living dead), etc. Roughly present-day stories that have some interesting twist and even non-realistic story element but not crossing over into full blown fantasy, sci-fi, or superheroes.

Thoughts?

Ryan Day
05-16-2007, 07:02 AM
I think you'd probably like some of the books Vertigo publishes. (Not indie, of course, but hey - labels are for jars, not for books!)

Y - The Last Man - all the males on Earth die, except for one man and his monkey.
Crossing Midnight - Twins in Japan are drawn into spooky, mystical events.

I enjoyed the first volume of The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service from Dark Horse, which is about a group of students who go around "helping" the dead to resolve the issues keeping them from the afterlife. Very morbid and creepy.

keithtalent
05-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Black Hole by Charles Burns might meet your criteria, there is an element of the unreal in there, not sure whether there is so much that it qualifies as Sci-fi under your criteria. This is available as a GN.

I'm currently enjoying Exteriminators, which is published by Vertigo, about a group of pest controllers. Sounds dull, but isn't.

Arvandor
05-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Fallen Angel comes to mind.

Trouble
05-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Well, I still have my graphic novel up for free download. Don't let the outfit fool you, it's not a superhero book.

http://www.lulu.com/content/130961