PDA

View Full Version : FNSM & Amazing SM

ReMinD
05-14-2007, 11:13 AM
hey everyone, im new to the boards, ive recently bought essential spiderman 1-3 just waiting for them to be delivered, ive noticed alot of ppl talk about how good FNSM is, is it anything like Ultimate SM where as its starting the story from scratch?

also the main series i wanna collect is amazing spiderman, is there any other series i need to collect with it so i dont miss any bits out between issues?

thanks alot for your help

KetchFrayz
05-14-2007, 11:21 AM
IMO

Amazing > Sensational > Friendly Neighborhood

i don't read Ultimate but i hear it's one of, if not the best, spider-man books

ReMinD
05-14-2007, 11:31 AM
ye i love ultimate spiderman, ive never actually read many amazing spiderman i just wanted to get into it as its were spiderman started from, i was gonna carry on with ultimate but some ppl over on the ultimate boards said marvel may be stopping ultimate line, does anyone know if this is true?

KetchFrayz
05-14-2007, 11:36 AM
There's been rumors but i don't think so because The Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-man are both very good and very popular.

tony2074
05-14-2007, 01:05 PM
personally id go with friendly neighbourhood in the interim. amazing will have a new team possibly by the end of the year. and peter david is one hell of a writer.

wigan? is it as "good" a place as oldham then?

comic_dad
05-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Personally I think Amazing is the best title followed by Sensational.

Web_Spinner
05-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Actually, I like all three very much, but I think it's a very personal taste driven choice.

I'd say try an issue of all three, and make up your own mind.

The Confessor
05-14-2007, 03:16 PM
ive noticed alot of ppl talk about how good FNSM is, is it anything like Ultimate SM where as its starting the story from scratch?

No, it doesn't start from the very beginning. FNSM is set in the original Marvel continuity that Stan Lee invented back in 1963. Which is a totally seperate continuity/universe to the Ultimate books.

Don't let that put you off though, FNSM is a great read and you don't really need 40+ years of back story to enjoy it...as long as you're familier with the basics of the Spidey legend you'll be fine.

rZi
05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Imo..ASM > FNSM > SNSM

Im actualy thinking of dropping SNSM..even though spidey is my life. The artwork and writting are both medicore at best...i feel like im wasting my money each month.

PunisherFan
05-14-2007, 11:37 PM
I like Friendly then Sensational then Amazing...... JMS just killed it for me with all this mystical spider totem crap. cant wait for the new writers

tony2074
05-15-2007, 07:14 AM
"I like Friendly then Sensational then Amazing...... JMS just killed it for me with all this mystical spider totem crap. cant wait for the new writers"

i could not agree more.

The Shelf
05-15-2007, 08:10 AM
I always find it ironic when people who love FNSM complain about the art in SSM. :)

I really like SSM and ASM, but I have to admit the last story in SSM lost my interest during the second issue. Hopefully, it picks up the pace again pretty soon.

Guybrush
05-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I always find it ironic when people who love FNSM complain about the art in SSM. :)

SSM had Medina, and nobody is as bad as Medina, I feel like vomiting every time I see his MJ.

The Shelf
05-15-2007, 10:30 AM
SSM had Medina, and nobody is as bad as Medina, I feel like vomiting every time I see his MJ.

I agree, I don't like his females as much as other artists, but everything else he draws looks awesome. Personally, I can't stand the art in FNSM because it looks like I'm reading a cartoon minus the animation which is not what I want when I get a comic book.

Also, Clayton Crain is on SSM, and he rules.

KetchFrayz
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree, I don't like his females as much as other artists, but everything else he draws looks awesome. Personally, I can't stand the art in FNSM because it looks like I'm reading a cartoon minus the animation which is not what I want when I get a comic book.

Also, Clayton Crain is on SSM, and he rules.

this is all true

Clayton's SSM covers >>>>>> any art work on FNSM

Web_Spinner
05-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I liked Sean Chen's work on SENS.

I really enjoy all three books! ASM has picked up with back in black, the war at home was good, but felt way too decompressed.

I thought SENS has been brilliant despite inconsistant artwork that holds it from being excellent. The issues during the UNMASKED revelations have been excellent, the ones that looked at MJ, May, and Black Cat, that was a great arc. I also loved the Foes of Peter Parker arc, and the Mr. Hyde arc, I thought, was excellent.

FNSM has been very good as well. The various sub plots and use of characters has been solid. We've seen Mysterio, the Vulture and the Sandman in the last few arcs, all excellent, especially the mysterio arc, and I can't wait to find out about Miss Arrow in the upcoming issues!

PunisherFan
05-15-2007, 11:03 PM
I liked Sean Chen's work on SENS.

I really enjoy all three books! ASM has picked up with back in black, the war at home was good, but felt way too decompressed.

I thought SENS has been brilliant despite inconsistant artwork that holds it from being excellent. The issues during the UNMASKED revelations have been excellent, the ones that looked at MJ, May, and Black Cat, that was a great arc. I also loved the Foes of Peter Parker arc, and the Mr. Hyde arc, I thought, was excellent.

FNSM has been very good as well. The various sub plots and use of characters has been solid. We've seen Mysterio, the Vulture and the Sandman in the last few arcs, all excellent, especially the mysterio arc, and I can't wait to find out about Miss Arrow in the upcoming issues!

I miss the Black Cat and Puma over in Sensational and absolutely hated the Hyde arc, i just cant get into him. But that book has been good other than that. Love Friendly and can't wait to see the Arrow mystery unravel. I also want to see who Quentin Beck's bosses are... obviously it's a devil or something but i'd like to see that play out and not just forgotten. If you're going to bring someone like Beck back as a demon spirit it needs a resolution.