PDA

View Full Version : Chabon's "The Yiddish Policemen's Union"

Merey
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like this book is generating a lot of buzz and good reviews. Has anyone bought or planning to buy this book?

I might just head out at lunch and get it at the local bookstore.

Roquefort Raider
05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
The magazine Time didn't seem to like it overmuch, but I would love to read it.

The Batman
05-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I've got it, but I want to finish Star Wars: Legacy of the Force - Exile before I start it.

Ilash
05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Definitely wanna read this. Here's hoping it's more like Kavalier and Clay or Wonderboys than the extremely underwhelming Final Solution. I'll probably wait for the paperback though.

DrewTheXenocide
05-10-2007, 05:25 PM
That Michiko Kakutani critic over at the NY Times seemed to love it, and I hear she's quite the hardass.

I'll wait for the paperback too, though. I've got too much piled on my "to read" list.

The Batman
06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Halfway in, give or take. It's a really good read, Chabon's ability to use words to craft a world is clearly on display, but I have no real idea where it's all going.

I remember enjoying Final Solution quite a bit.

Ilash
06-07-2007, 03:22 PM
For anyone who's interested Chabon is interviewed and the book reviewed on Simon Mayo's show on the BBC website. Shows are normally kept up for a week so click here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/mayo.shtml) to download/ stream the show before it gets taken down.

divinebrown
06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I just finished this book yesterday and I did really enjoy it. It took me a whilel to get used to his Sitka slang, but once I did his wordplay became very enjoyable. The book definitely improved as I read through it.

In comparison to his other works though (the ones I've read); I don't think it stacks up as well. Its certainly a much better detective story than The Final Solution, and better written than The Mysteries of Pittsburgh. I enjoyed Pittsburgh more simply because I'm at that age, living on my own for the first time and questioning my future. However, I'd still say Kavalier & Clay is his best written, most layered, theme-laden work. I knew I was reading a modern classic as I read through that; a feeling I didn't get with The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

MatthewDiCarlo
06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
I want to read it but I can't rationalize buying hardcovers right now. We'll see about hitting the library sometime soon.

K'Nort
06-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I've read it and enjoyed it.

But I'm a third-generation Sitkan, so I had a different take on it than your average reader. Same sort of distraction as watching Northern Exposure back in the day.

But it was a fun classical gumshoe mystery. No jaw-dropping twists, but nothing that came out of left field and made no sense either.